• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

BoobPhysics101 said:
Try 0 or 1...

Actually the crashes were being caused by something else. ATI Tray tools had MLAA enabled by default and that was crashing the game. But after disabling that it stopped crashing but I didn't notice any improvements on the load times.

Jtrizzy

Anything on the jerky mouse movement? I'm back to using the 360 controller in the campaign. Actually at this point I have G13-KB-M and controller in use all at once. What a clusterfuck.

Game is running fine (580 and 2600k@4.5) with the exception of a few crashes, but moving with the mouse is so janky that it's hard to enjoy the amazing graphics. Glad I have a controller for the campaign, even though it has shitty support too. MP I will be using the G13.

My game is running better (well, smoother) with 2x Deferred and Medium Post AA than it was with no Deferred and High Post AA. I'm getting a pretty consistent 30fps/40fps depending on the map rather than the fluctuating 30-60fps I was getting all over the place.

This is with the signed 11.10 AMD drivers, btw.

BigJiantRobut said:
My game is running better (well, smoother) with 2x Deferred and Medium Post AA than it was with no Deferred and High Post AA. I'm getting a pretty consistent 30fps/40fps depending on the map rather than the fluctuating 30-60fps I was getting all over the place.

This is with the signed 11.10 AMD drivers, btw.

I highly suggest turning off Deferred AA and turning down AO to SSAO if you haven't already. Deferred AA is killing AMD GPU's right now for some weird reason.

derFeef

ACE 1991 said:
So is there any reason why I should go ahead and download the new AMD drivers? Currently running preview 3.
It's the same drivers, they are just WHQL certified. You can stick with Preview 3 if you are good.

bindleford

Neo Member
Given my CPU is a Phenom II X3 720, is there any point putting in a decent graphics card (currently have a 4870) or will I just be bottle-necked by my processor? Sadly I have to balance a very tight budget.

Piggus

Well, I installed the certified drivers and the latest version of CAP4 profiles and my stuttering is gone! There's still the mouse jerkiness when trying to make fine movements but that sounds like something DICE is working on. I was getting some weird green flickering at the start of the map (Rush on Firestorm) but it went away after a bit. Not sure what that was all about.

Jtrizzy said:
Anything on the jerky mouse movement? I'm back to using the 360 controller in the campaign. Actually at this point I have G13-KB-M and controller in use all at once. What a clusterfuck.

Game is running fine (580 and 2600k@4.5) with the exception of a few crashes, but moving with the mouse is so janky that it's hard to enjoy the amazing graphics. Glad I have a controller for the campaign, even though it has shitty support too. MP I will be using the G13.

This might not be a technical answer, but I turned my sensitivity down to about a quarter and put raw mouse input on. After that it solved all my issues with the jerky mouse movement, hope this helps you.

Tripwood

I'm seeing a strange artifact that's very annoying.

It's a line/rectangle (depending on the view; line on foot, rectangle from the sky) going across the screen as i move that separates level of detail on terrain or buildings.

UT91x.jpg

7ACjk.jpg

Here are my setting in game
86AWm.jpg

Playing on GTX 560 Ti underclocked by 50Mhz on 285.38 drivers (I crash after 5min on the new ones).

Any idea what could cause this?

.nimrod

spk said:
Make sure to record to another drive if you're not already doing that

Manager said:
Maybe it's the harddrive? Tried defrag? A lot of information being saved. Otherwise you could just try, to test, 720p and record at lower res and see if it fix it.

Yeah, looks like it was my harddrive. I just put a SSD from my HTPC into my gaming PC and recording footage to it is smooth as butter.

Naeblish

BoobPhysics101 said:
I can give you some quick tips:

Set Ambient Occlusion to SSAO instead of HBAO. Looks about the same but gives a nice performance boost. Turn off deferred antialiasing, it'll kill your FPS especially on AMD hardware. Turn shadows to medium or high for a decent boost with little image quality loss.
Thanks mate.

Max

I am not Max
@Tripwood

That is the result of medium shadows. I know for sure that options like Post-AA and shadows are both distance based

I somehow don't notice it anymore but if it really bothers you, you'd have to set shadows to high

knitoe

CrankyJay said:
On the ATI website I see both 11.9 and 11.10 drivers updated yesterday. Which one should I be grabbing? I have a 6850
Always go with newest, in this case 11.10, unless it causes you problems.

Manager

Here's the fixes done in the server patch:
Dear everyone!

We have made some fixes and because sharing is caring, we would like to share these changes we are deploying with you.

This is a server patch which means that you don´t have to update anything on your client.
These are the fixes :)

- Fix for rubber banding
- TDM/SQDM spawn point fix
- crash fixes in end of round
- Fix for connection problem when joining password protected servers

We will deploy these fixes at 09:00 CET which is 8:00 GMT and midnight pacific time on the 3rd of November.

These changes have already made their way to the PC so this time it´s going out for Xbox 360 and PS3.

Enjoy!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Mr_eX said:
Is this glitch I had yesterday a VRAM thing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6t0DkR6dfM

Try reducing the overclock on your graphics card.

Running out of Vram will cause a brief stutter, not artifacts.
Check temps of your graphics card as well.....either way i think slowing the card down will help.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I found that using Dxtory and limiting my FPS to 30 worked well. I have everything on ultra settings.

I'm using a GTX 570 by the way.

Mr_eX

Black_Stride said:
Try reducing the overclock on your graphics card.

Running out of Vram will cause a brief stutter, not artifacts.
Check temps of your graphics card as well.....either way i think slowing the card down will help.
I've been playing it every day since launch and that was the first and only time it has happened. If it continues I will definitely try that.

Last night was also the first time I forced triple buffering through the nvidia control panel, that may have had something to do with it.

JJBro One

Im building a pc right now for my little brother to play battlefield 3 on high settings at 60 fps. I'm trying to spend around $700 and under. Any suggestions?

ACE 1991

JJBro One said:
Im building a pc right now for my little brother to play battlefield 3 on high settings at 60 fps. I'm trying to spend around $700 and under. Any suggestions?
Hitting the 60 fps mark for $700 will be tough. I'm happy with the performance on my rig, it never dips below 30 and mostly stays at 40-50 frames at high settings with hbao and ultra textures. Here is a link to my build, Second post down. I spent $723 after MIR.

JJBro One

ACE 1991

However, if BF3 is your main concern, you could opt for a cheaper CPU and use the extra crash to invest in a more powerful GPU.

Mr_eX

I play on ultra with

Phenom II X4 965
EVGA Superclocked GTX 570
16gb ram(I tested the game with only 2gb ram and I the only difference was load times)

ACE 1991

JJBro One said:
Ya bf3 is my main concern. What would you suggest?
I only recently got into PC gaming, so I think I'll let someone else more knowledgeable than myself answer that one. You're definitely better off getting an nvidia card though.

JJBro One said:

2500k or Phenom x4 (2500k if you have a Microcenter near you) + decent mobo = 200-250
Case =30-40
Radeon 6950 or 560 Ti = $200
PSU = $50+
HDD = $50+

Just to give you an idea.

PaNaMa

Banned
XFX 5850 black edition, 1GB vram (2 year old card now)
Intel i7 2600k, stock.
8gb corsair vengeance ram

At 1920x1080 on HIGH, with AA and post process AA OFF, SBAO, and 8x Ansio I'm around 45-50fps, average. Sometimes I'm in the 80s, sometimes I'm at 40. But I tend to average around 45-50 depending on what's going on.

Switching to HBAO gives a pretty big performance hit. And turning on AA is a big performance hit. I just don't find I care about AA at all so I don't bother with it. I've taken screen with it on and off, and the visual change just doesn't wow me. Not worth the performance trade off to me.

Cranking up to 16x Ansio is a very minimal performance hit, so I sometimes toggle that on.

J-Rzez

Has anyone tracked down the issue with the random "green flashes" yet while playing? Or should I say, does anyone suffer from them here too?

Manager

J-Rzez said:
Has anyone tracked down the issue with the random "green flashes" yet while playing? Or should I say, does anyone suffer from them here too?

It seems widespread on both PC and consoles. I haven't found a common factor in this thread on PC. Seems pretty random. I guess it's worth to try the common fixes: upgrade drivers and not overclock your GPU (underclock if it's factory OC'd).

J-Rzez

Manager said:
It seems widespread on both PC and consoles. I haven't found a common factor in this thread on PC. Seems pretty random. I guess it's worth to try the common fixes: upgrade drivers and not overclock your GPU (underclock if it's factory OC'd).

Hmm, well drivers are up to date, and I did turn my GPU down to reference speeds, so guess I'm SoL. :(

belvedere

Junior Butler
J-Rzez said:

So this isn't my monitor, good. Didn't really think it was but this game has me questioning my sanity sometimes lol.

JJBro One

Mr_eX said:
I play on ultra with

Phenom II X4 965
EVGA Superclocked GTX 570
16gb ram(I tested the game with only 2gb ram and I the only difference was load times)
How many frames are u getting and at what resolution?

WarMacheen

BoobPhysics101 said:
2500k or Phenom x4 (2500k if you have a Microcenter near you) + decent mobo = 200-250
Case =30-40
Radeon 6950 or 560 Ti = $200
PSU = $50+
HDD = $50+

Just to give you an idea.

Microcenter 2500k is $180

What MB are you looking at, that is decent for $20-$70

or am I reading that wrong.

Also OS, Memory

Mr_eX

JJBro One said:
How many frames are u getting and at what resolution?
1920 x 1200 and I get between 35-60. It's usually in the 40s or 50s.
Here are some videos I captured to give you an idea of what to expect(with fraps running it drops the framerate to about 30)

Multiplayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmc3QruVwII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkpQOeyVNmc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhqX_tABm6I
Campaign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgvrscO_Dk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O5QEWl72TM

Free motherboard(I'd probably go with the one that costs an extra $20 though) with purchase of CPU
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

ACE 1991

J-Rzez said:

I got them more frequently during the first couple days after launch, now I get them maybe once or twice every hour. Who the knows.

ACE 1991

ACE 1991 said:
I only recently got into PC gaming, so I think I'll let someone else more knowledgeable than myself answer that one. You're definitely better off getting an nvidia card though.

Not really. As long as you stay away from MSAA (absolutely kills AMD cards) performance will be better on AMD. As an example all Ultra with FXAA instead of MSAA, 6970 basically ties GTX580. But 6970 is $339 GTX 580 is $449+.

The idea that Nvidia cards are significantly better in this game comes from the fact most lazy sites just bench with the presets, and the Ultra preset turns on 4XMSAA by default, so the benchmarks make AMD cards look bad (at least at Ultra, AMD do well at "high" since high doesnt use MSAA).

Here hardocp shows FXAA reduces jaggies better than 4X MSAA anyway:

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1320203990wggDqWGb3l_7_3_l.png

It looks like according to [H] MSAA isn't doing much at all in this game anyway because of it's deferred rendering pipeline. It's not applying AA at all to many objects.

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1320203990wggDqWGb3l_7_1_l.png

Anyways nice new hardocp campaign performance analysis up if it hasnt already been posted

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/02/battlefield_3_single_player_performance_iq_review/1

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I'm out of options if feels.

I'm getting two types of crashes

Crash type 1 ) Crash to desktop, bf3.exe has stopped working, this happens pretty much every single time I start the first "round of the day" so to speak. It's like it has to happen. This one I don't give a shit about since it only happens once a day tops and is non-intrusive.

Crash type 2 ) Game freezes after 30 min into the game, temps are ok, no bsod message no nothing. 50% chance if CTRL-ALT-DEL works ( when it does I can go back to desktop to see the bloody "bf3.exe has stopped working" message ), 50% chance it doesn't and I have to manually reboot. I need to fix this because I won't be able to play like this.

Any clue?

Corky said:
So I'm out of options if feels.

I'm getting two types of crashes

Crash type 1 ) Crash to desktop, bf3.exe has stopped working, this happens pretty much every single time I start the first "round of the day" so to speak. It's like it has to happen. This one I don't give a shit about since it only happens once a day tops and is non-intrusive.

Crash type 2 ) Game freezes after 30 min into the game, temps are ok, no bsod message no nothing. 50% chance if CTRL-ALT-DEL works ( when it does I can go back to desktop to see the bloody "bf3.exe has stopped working" message ), 50% chance it doesn't and I have to manually reboot. I need to fix this because I won't be able to play like this.

Any clue?

For the first one I heard it helps running both origin.exe and bf3.exe as administrator - I have yet to try it out tho.

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield...ve_this_happen_to_them_50_of_the_time/c2wttqx

As for the second - what GPU do you have? I have a 560Ti that I have to lower the clock to 850 mhz from 900 mhz to get rid of that crash.

Erasus

Performance is horrible on some maps with a 4830 512MB (its the minimum req I know but hear me out)

Getting dips into 20-25....

I can run BC2 on high/medium at 1080p and get 40fps

BF3 looks way worse than BC2 on low and runs way worse.

What the fuck DICE?

TheNamelessOne said:
For the first one I heard it helps running both origin.exe and bf3.exe as administrator - I have yet to try it out tho.

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield...ve_this_happen_to_them_50_of_the_time/c2wttqx

As for the second - what GPU do you have? I have a 560Ti that I have to lower the clock to 850 mhz from 900 mhz to get rid of that crash.
To add to these fixes;
-Disable Origin in-game overlay
-Disable UPnP in router settings

Never had the crashing issue but I thought I'd share the fixes I've heard. Hope it helps.

Erasus said:
Performance is horrible on some maps with a 4830 512MB (its the minimum)

Getting dips into 20-25....

I can run BC2 on high/medium at 1080p and get 40fps

BF3 looks way worse than BC2 on low and runs way worse.

What the fuck DICE?
It's a 4830 - of course it's gonna run and look bad.

Top Bottom