• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 cheat maker is taking its hacks offline because "the game is dying"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A Battlefield 2042 cheat maker is ceasing production of cheats because the game doesn't support them properly, and not enough people are even using them.

Just below, you can see a tweet from renowned Battlefield 2042 leaker Tom Henderson screenshotting a Discord post allegedly stemming from a cheat provider, notifying users that they'll no longer be able to purchase cheats for Battlefield 2042. Cheats will work until subscriptions run out, but after that, players will have to play fair. Those with lifetime subscriptions are told that they'll be allowed to transfer those services onto a Call of Duty game of their choosing.

Supposedly, this is due to the fact that the actual in-game performance of Battlefield 2042 renders the cheats themselves inoperable. A "performance issue" from EA DICE's shooter is referenced in the Discord post, although it's hard to say what this issue is exactly without the user themselves elaborating further, but it's this issue that apparently prevents cheats from working properly.

Additionally, the cheat maker claims that most customers aren't using their subscription-based cheats with Battlefield 2042 anymore, since the game is "dying." There's no denying that Battlefield 2042 has been met with wave after wave of negativity from the game's community since it launched in November last year, with a significant drop in player numbers.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Crazy hyperbole. The game isn’t ‘dying’

Uh huh, well the let's just enjoy the article about a cheat manufacturer pulling support because there's no profit in making hacks for a game with no players, I am sure the hacks only work on steam. Leaving origin untouched which there are of course millions of uncountable dedicated 2042 players on that platform alone.

(So I have been told over and over)

Last edited:

Arun1910

Uh, yeah, it is dying.

100,000 concurrent on Steam at launch.
65,000 concurrent just 2 days after.
18,000 concurrent 1 month later.

And now its around 7,500 players on Steam. The game is dead. Most of us have woken up. There are about 50 things missing from this game that the studio now deems "legacy features", such as a fucking scoreboard.

Not to mention the game is barebones for content. Battlefield 1's DLC almost has the same amount of content than the whole of 2042.

The map design for the game is also shite. Everything is so open, you're running across barren land with no cover most of the time.

BFV currently has 18,388 players on steam in comparison to 7,500 that BF2042 has and for the most part BFV has managed to keep over 20,000 concurrent easily the past year.

The game is dying, more and more people are dropping off. On the subreddit people are already saying they are finding it hard to find games. The hazard zone game mode is completely dead, barely anyone plays it or can find a game nor do they particularly want to.

PEDi3tM.png

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Uh, yeah, it is dying.

100,000 concurrent on Steam at launch.
65,000 concurrent just 2 days after.
18,000 concurrent 1 month later.

And now its around 7,500 players on Steam. The game is dead. Most of us have woken up. There are about 50 things missing from this game that the studio now deems "legacy features", such as a fucking scoreboard.

Not to mention the game is barebones for content. Battlefield 1's DLC almost has the same amount of content than the whole of 2042.

The map design for the game is also shite. Everything is so open, you're running across barren land with no cover most of the time.

BFV currently has 18,388 players on steam in comparison to 7,500 that BF2042 has and for the most part BFV has managed to keep over 20,000 concurrent easily the past year.

The game is dying, more and more people are dropping off. On the subreddit people are already saying they are finding it hard to find games. The hazard zone game mode is completely dead, barely anyone plays it or can find a game nor do they particularly want to.

PEDi3tM.png

No dude you don't get it, steam numbers don't matter because you can see them. Only Origin Xbox and PS5 numbers count because you can't see those so that means there must be at least 10 million people playing BF 2042, steams just toxic maaaaaan.

Arun1910

No dude you don't get it, steam numbers don't matter because you can see them. Only Origin Xbox and PS5 numbers count because you can't see those so that means there must be at least 10 million people playing BF 2042, steams just toxic maaaaaan.
Also worth mentioning that even Xbox/PS Players on the Sub are saying it's hard to find games.

I would suspect it's worse for PS4 and Xbox One users as they have different servers to play on whereas the PS5/Series consoles crossplay with PC at least.

FrozenFlame

Depends of the metrics and the information that we can obtain. Going with Steam Charts, here's something interesting:

Battlefield 2042:

playing nowtoday's peakall-time peak

Battlefield 5

Dunno about you but when the previous entry, that was also criticized (not as much, I know), has double the numbers of concurrent players (now and today's peak) than the new entry that was released two months ago. Hell, if we compare it with AA games (Hell let Loose or Squad) that are somewhat similar (fps, multiplayer, large scale, vehicles) but with WAY less marketing budget and franchise renown, it makes those numbers even more grim.

Kagey K

Banned
How about you don't kill the game by providing players with ways to cheat and ruin it for everybody else then?

Or are you exempt from the reasons why people don't want to play?

Hey guys I ruined the game, but don't blame me for fucking it up.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

rip in peace

fr tho cheating is just this accepted thing now? like there are actual cheat code sellers? lol wtf kind of clown world shit is this

Can't say I'm surprised with the way AAA games have been going lately, that one finally managed to tumble like this.
Also the subtle humor, in a cheat maker abandoning a multiplayer game because the game is dying, is not lost on me.

lol wtf kind of clown world shit is this
Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay and free* Happy** Meal.

* Provided for no up-front cost; standard market price will be added to next month's tax calculations
** Does not actually make you happy

Saber

Gold Member
Well, one can make a good thing out of this. At least this strategy of scaming customers works against cheaters, no?

winjer

Gold Member
Just let it die already. No point in trying to polish a turd.
If EA and Dice had any brains left, they would try to learn what went, so they can avoid the same mistakes in the future.
Instead of wasting time and resources trying to salvage this mess, and wasting time complaining about gamers on twitter, they should start making the next Battlefield.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It still crazy to me how much better even hated BF V is.... I always like that game tho. I have like 400 hours in that since launch and that's like possibly my biggest play time in any game ever.

Ozriel

M$FT

Lmao, I’m not sure what you’re compensating for with this 😂

The game is in serious decline. It’s struggling. But ‘dying’ means it’s on its way to death. And thats unlikely to happen. It’ll probably flatline at a small but consistent user base until they add more content and resolve most of the issues.

Imagine getting pressed enough to warble on about Origin, Xbox and PS5 all because I’ve said the game isn’t going to die anything soon.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'd love to know what an actual dying game looks like if this isn't it. Even New World took less of a battering.

We knew when Evolve and Lawbreakers went into its death spiral. Also with stuff like Bleeding Edge. Ditto for dead shit like Drawn to Death.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We knew when Evolve and Lawbreakers went into its death spiral. Also with stuff like Bleeding Edge. Ditto for dead shit like Drawn to Death.

You have to factor in the style, size and scope of those games, not the overall numbers side-by-side. They're all incredibly niche failures in their own rights, but this is Battlefield we're talking about. A full priced entry in one of the biggest gaming franchises of all time having this big of a drop-off this quickly is a disaster. Myriad complaints about how long it takes to find a match because not enough people are playing at any one time.

I'm sure there will always be someone still playing 2042 to keep it "alive" but in the grander context, it's rotting away. Battlefield 1 is en route to overtake it on Steam, an entry from over 5 years ago. It's dead, Jim.

It's really not looking good for the future of 2042. Even BFV had support dropped halfway through and I assume that must have done better. I reckon they will just fix 2042 to where it's not a complete disaster and then move on to the next game. Hope EA realizes that continually doing this will damage their reputation and sales long term.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I only buy bf game for sp the mp is just additional features for me so i never intend to buy this game in the first place

Depends of the metrics and the information that we can obtain. Going with Steam Charts, here's something interesting:

Battlefield 2042:

Battlefield 5

Dunno about you but when the previous entry, that was also criticized (not as much, I know), has double the numbers of concurrent players (now and today's peak) than the new entry that was released two months ago. Hell, if we compare it with AA games (Hell let Loose or Squad) that are somewhat similar (fps, multiplayer, large scale, vehicles) but with WAY less marketing budget and franchise renown, it makes those numbers even more grim.
Now now dont use common sense and numbers. Maybe people just dont want to play the game on Steam but its somehow thriving by the millions on Origin and consoles.

Last edited:
[
And when has Evolve or Lawbreakers ever reached the heights of the Battlefield franchise? Of course those games died even faster...they barely had a fanbase. Battlefield is one of the biggest AAA shooters in history and look at those numbers. The franchise is in real trouble. All the BF fanboys can deny and point at other articles and games all they want. Thats not gonna stop this game from tanking hard.

Ironbunny

Played this few rounds today and it seems most players are using console and there are very few PC players. Same issues still persist and have not been fixed but I had no problem entering a match. No long queing. Player base difference is just very noticeable.

Complistic

I played 2 matches on that free 10 hour trial thing and uninstalled. I've never been more disappointed in the direction a franchise I loved took. So honestly, this checks out.

Kerotan

Well playstation would be it's biggest player base probably followed by xbox.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love how in literally every thread about the state of BF2042 there's always at least one person posting "naaaah it's not dying, fake news, there's a hidden userbase that is not tracked, Steam numbers are meaningless, game is still super popular, game is amazing, everyone's just a hater".

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well playstation would be it's biggest player base probably followed by xbox.

Of course but the insinuation is that since we cannot see the PlayStation or Xbox numbers only steams, and that rather than following the conclusion that all versions on all platforms are seeing similair drops, instead no drop will be happening and that the playerbase is either only seeing a slight decrease at worst or is holding stable.

Because no "true" battlefield player would use steam, they would instead use origin which coincidentally can't be tracked and therefore there are over 5 million players on Origin and BF 2042 is the best battlefield ever made and the strong unobservable playerbase proves this by being so strong while also being unobservable, etc.

So steam means nothing and it's just haters, you will see this argument made over and over ad nauseam.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Played this few rounds today and it seems most players are using console and there are very few PC players. Same issues still persist and have not been fixed but I had no problem entering a match. No long queing. Player base difference is just very noticeable.
Did you play with bots or humans? I think they don't show us if our opponent is bot or not. Bots will gladly fill those servers, until one of them starts a resistance(usual ai stuff).

I found this.

honestly I am not surprised. After a couple of games I refunded with a sour taste in my mouth. It just sucks.
Played on launch day.
Played until a few days after and dropped it completely.
Same complaints as others here:
- Map design is shit. Too open and no cover.
- Weapon switching bug put me off big time. No idea if its fixed but really don't care.

I'd rather go back to playing Battlefield 1 or even 5. This new one is just horrible.

Top Bottom