• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlebots officially confirmed to return December 3rd.

JordanN

Banned
Do we have any Battlebots fans on GAF? Here's some good news for 2020.

The new season was originally suppose to air May 15th of this year, but the coronavirus pandemic halted production and nearly jeopardized it future.

But now it appears filming is done and is ready to come back December 3rd on Discovery.

hollywoodreporter said:
The robot combat series, which was forced to halt production amid the pandemic earlier this year, returns Dec. 3.
BattleBots is back.

After production was halted earlier this year because of the pandemic, Discovery Channel has set a Dec. 3 return for the robot combat series. Sixty teams from across the world, from rookies to veterans, will take part in the tournament as they compete for the "preeminent prize in robotic sport: The Giant Nut."

Sportscaster Chris Rose and UFC fighter Kenny Florian return to provide play-by-play commentary, while Jenny Taft reports from the builder pits and Faruq Tauheed is the ring announcer. In addition, a new expert will be joining the commentary team: the Bot Whisperer, aka BattleBots veteran and robot guru Peter Abrahamson.

The show returned to production with strict health and safety protocols, constant supervision and regular testing, and without a live audience. Instead, the spectators were the teams themselves, watching all the action (and their competitors) from specially constructed "opera boxes" placed around the giant BattleBox arena.

Each match consists of two remote-controlled robots competing in a single, three-minute round with the goal of destroying or disabling their opponent. If there is no knockout during the battle, a panel of judges will declare a victor. The ultimate goal is to qualify for the 32-team, single elimination World Championship Tournament, culminating in the award of The Giant Nut at the end of the season.

I don't really follow much TV shows anymore but this is the only I've religiously followed since they started the reboot. Glad to know the series has not been shelved because of the virus.

McCheese

It's a shame a lot of the international teams had to pull out, but so long as tombstone is there to break peoples hopes and dreams into thousands of pieces I'll be watching it.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
So, if a one of a kind bot is destroyed (killed, you might say), who has performed genocide and should be cancelled - the winning bot or its creators?
And what about the TV show itself - which enables this disgusting and fascist behavior??

I used to love watching that show with my kid years ago. Something so satisfying about those bots shredding each other. Some of the designs were great and then others were like, umm....what? :p

JordanN

Banned
I used to love watching that show with my kid years ago. Something so satisfying about those bots shredding each other. Some of the designs were great and then others were like, umm....what? :p
You should definitely check out the reboot. It's a huge improvement over the Comedy Central version.

They banned the ramming bots so there's more skill involved vs the old days of just driving into your opponent over and over.

It also gave us the greatest moment in TV history.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
We had Robot Wars in the UK - is that the same thing?

Aye I haven't seen all of BB but it's good to see it back, I just wish Robot Wars was still running.

We had Robot Wars in the UK - is that the same thing?

Pretty much though they have had their slight differences; Battlebots doesn't have House Robots for instance. Battlebots tends to have the more destructive and impressive contestant robots though.

I still haven't seen a modern flipper match Wheely Big Cheese's throwing height from back in the older RW days, anyone beaten these yet? @5:05 and @12:20. It takes a lot of energy to toss a 100kg box vertically upwards by nearly 10 ft.

Similar but different, Robot Wrestling can also be pretty entertaining for anyone here who hasn't seen it before, it might give you something else to watch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom