• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham City Can run at 60FPS on PS5

faisalasif

I recently brought Batman: Return to Arkham disc version on PS4. I found out it be run at 60FPS on PS5 if you have the disc version. All you have to do is not update the game. The Batman Arkham City is playable on 60fps. However, It is not the same case for Batman Arkham Asylum which is locked at 30FPS.

The Batman Arkham City is looking beautiful at 60FPS

Here is the Batman: Arkham City gameplay on PS5 running at 60FPS

Kuranghi

Its cool that console owners can do this but unfortunately it still has the same stutters as the PC version, so even if the PS5 was able to generate the frames the game is just inherently creaky and you will usually see fps drops that are unrelated to traditional GPU load unless you have a 2x GPU overhead and even then there will still be some stutter on load.

I just rerereplayed City at 4K on PC and I should've capped to 30 like I did with Origins and Knight after it, it would've been a much better experience when moving around the city due to the engine stuttering. Sure 30fps is a drag but at least its consistent and has no stutters, RTSS can help make 30 feel much better too.

Not sure about City, probably it would be okay on a 2080ti at 4K60, but Knight takes a 3080 at least, so I'd say Origins might need one too. That'd be with the crazy DX11 AO and Shadows but without the Nvidia effects, those are borked even at 30fps in Origins if the camera gets too close.

Last edited:

Kerotan

This is going to be one of these situations where random discs from last gen go in demand again.

Remember all those who were buying resistance fall of man on disc because there was this weird as glitch that involved disc swapping it with mw2 so you could get around the latest patches to play online and do private lobby glitches they'd fixed.

ghairat

This is going to be one of these situations where random discs from last gen go in demand again.

Remember all those who were buying resistance fall of man on disc because there was this weird as glitch that involved disc swapping it with mw2 so you could get around the latest patches to play online and do private lobby glitches they'd fixed.

Yeah, but I think they will release a new collection since they are going to release Gotham Knight

RAIDEN1

I enjoyed Spiderman more than any of the Batman games..just couldn't get into it...a bustling and vibrant NYC to a morbid and dark Gotham City for me was no contest...

Meh, I played it at 84FPS a year or so ago. Arkham Knight too. It's really not surprising and I'd imagine the PS5 can infact do better than that seeing as how my PC is a few years old now and quite a bit less powerful on paper.

I enjoyed Spiderman more than any of the Batman games..just couldn't get into it...a bustling and vibrant NYC to a morbid and dark Gotham City for me was no contest...
Irrelevant to a thread about a performance gain, but sure bro, go get your Spiderman on.
Yeah, but I think they will release a new collection since they are going to release Gotham Knight
Probably full price too. Knights is unrelated to Arkham. Probably be best to jump on the last gen version and enjoy the performance bump.

Last edited:

Hugare

Should have been 60 at base consoles.
The game can run at 60 fps on a potato PC.

Virtuous couldnt make them run at 60, while also ruining some of the visuals

Same studio that brought us Other Worlds for the Switch and FF X remaster with the shitty character models.

Terrible fucking job. One of the worse "remasters" that I've played, losing only to the Bioshock remaster.

Do yourself a favor and play the original versions of these games on PC if you can.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Its cool that console owners can do this but unfortunately it still has the same stutters as the PC version, so even if the PS5 was able to generate the frames the game is just inherently creaky and you will usually see fps drops that are unrelated to traditional GPU load unless you have a 2x GPU overhead and even then there will still be some stutter on load.

I just rerereplayed City at 4K on PC and I should've capped to 30 like I did with Origins and Knight after it, it would've been a much better experience when moving around the city due to the engine stuttering. Sure 30fps is a drag but at least its consistent and has no stutters, RTSS can help make 30 feel much better too.

Not sure about City, probably it would be okay on a 2080ti at 4K60, but Knight takes a 3080 at least, so I'd say Origins might need one too. That'd be with the crazy DX11 AO and Shadows but without the Nvidia effects, those are borked even at 30fps in Origins if the camera gets too close.
I can corroborate the horrific performance and engine issues of these games on PC. Doesn’t matter your horsepower, you’re gonna have inexcusable stuttering. I drove myself mad trying to fix it through settings, modifying configuration files, using outside utilities. Games themselves are great fun but they’re programmed by a 5-year old

Kuranghi

I can corroborate the horrific performance and engine issues of these games on PC. Doesn’t matter your horsepower, you’re gonna have inexcusable stuttering. I drove myself mad trying to fix it through settings, modifying configuration files, using outside utilities. Games themselves are great fun but they’re programmed by a 5-year old

I have 240 hours in Knight and I estimate more than 10 of those hours were spent tweaking the game 😬

You can "fix it" but its just brute forcing the problem with far too much GPU power, I'm such a fud because I can't wait to get a new GPU just to play it at 4K 60 without drops ha.

Not sure what GPU/resolution of display you are on but if you have a GTX 1080 or above you can lock to 30 and get 4K + max settings all the time without any drops (so far lol). The input lag is much increased over 60, as you'd expect, which isn't great for the batmobile or when you just start combat - once the combo is high they start to cut down the animation length so the input lag doesn't matter nearly as much then.

I'm currently reinstalling it right now so I can see how 30 feels with RTSS scaline-sync, which I've just discovered, if its compatible with a game you basically get the same input lag as v-sync off but no tearing (You hide the tearline below the screen) as long as you can maintain the fps (+ keep any other things that make the frametime spike above 16.66../33.33...ms in check).

I finally found that locking fps to 30 is the only way to remove all stutters and I was so happy to see everything all smooth and frametimes be seemingly perfect, even if it was at 30 instead of 60 now, but the increased input lag put me off from doing a runthrough. Hopefully RTSS S-Sync can fix that. Not sure if you like Knight (I know a lot of people dislike it) but I'll PM you with steps on how I got no added input lag + no tearing for 4K@30 if that would interest you? Even if you have a 2080ti I think you still need to cap to 30 to remove all stutters/frame drops at 4K.

mansoor1980

only the directx 11 mode on the pc has stutters. the dx9 mode is fine

Kuranghi

only the directx 11 mode on the pc has stutters. the dx9 mode is fine

Yeah for City and Origins you mean? It also makes the game look really crap though, the Ambient Occlusion is rubbish so everything looks flat and grey.

edit - To be fair, every comparison I just looked at makes DX9 looks not too different to DX11 but the above was my experience, it was really flat. Maybe something else changed while I was messing around.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Yeah for City and Origins you mean? It also makes the game look really crap though, the Ambient Occlusion is rubbish so everything looks flat and grey.

edit - To be fair, every comparison I just looked at makes DX9 looks not too different to DX11 but the above was my experience, it was really flat. Maybe something else changed while I was messing around.
arkham city dx11 added tesellation if i remember correctly but the performance was hideous , origins is great even in dx 11.

Shmunter

Wish they would do simple framerate unlock on these...And Arkham Knight.....can you imagine that at 60?!?

Criminal

intbal

This game is a locked 45FPS on the Series X.

I wonder what the devs in Virtuos smoked when putting a 45FPS cap on the Xbone version.

Looks great on a VRR panel.

I realize that's not helpful for 85% of the console community...

Cravis

Discs are coming back in style. I made sure to grab a copy of Assassin’s Creed Unity on X box one for this very same reason.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I have 240 hours in Knight and I estimate more than 10 of those hours were spent tweaking the game 😬

You can "fix it" but its just brute forcing the problem with far too much GPU power, I'm such a fud because I can't wait to get a new GPU just to play it at 4K 60 without drops ha.

Not sure what GPU/resolution of display you are on but if you have a GTX 1080 or above you can lock to 30 and get 4K + max settings all the time without any drops (so far lol). The input lag is much increased over 60, as you'd expect, which isn't great for the batmobile or when you just start combat - once the combo is high they start to cut down the animation length so the input lag doesn't matter nearly as much then.

I'm currently reinstalling it right now so I can see how 30 feels with RTSS scaline-sync, which I've just discovered, if its compatible with a game you basically get the same input lag as v-sync off but no tearing (You hide the tearline below the screen) as long as you can maintain the fps (+ keep any other things that make the frametime spike above 16.66../33.33...ms in check).

I finally found that locking fps to 30 is the only way to remove all stutters and I was so happy to see everything all smooth and frametimes be seemingly perfect, even if it was at 30 instead of 60 now, but the increased input lag put me off from doing a runthrough. Hopefully RTSS S-Sync can fix that. Not sure if you like Knight (I know a lot of people dislike it) but I'll PM you with steps on how I got no added input lag + no tearing for 4K@30 if that would interest you? Even if you have a 2080ti I think you still need to cap to 30 to remove all stutters/frame drops at 4K.
I hear you. I've tried many things. I've got a 2070 Super and still couldn't get City or even Asylum to run at a locked 60, didn't matter the tweaks or the settings, the game's code is inherently flawed, bottom line. I haven't tried Knight on my newest computer but did play it on Max Settings (or around there) a year or so ago when I had my gaming laptop. Got it to run around 1440p with a near-locked 60 (i7 9850, 1660Ti, 16 GBRam) I was astounded by how beautiful that game could be on PC, truly a transformative experience.
Wish they would do simple framerate unlock on these...And Arkham Knight.....can you imagine that at 60?!?

Criminal

I usually don't say things like this, but it's such a huge improvement on the PC at high settings and 60FPS that it feels like a different game. But yeah, a next-gen console patch would be a dream come true, even at just 1440p/60FPS, which would easily be doable.

trikster40

This is the advantage of physical copies of the game. You can play them unpatched. Last Guardian is amazing in 60FPS, but a patch capped it at 30.

How hard would it be to patch a game to uncap the frame rate? Not sure if it’s a simple fix or if this is something they could do with ease.

Last edited:

sn0man

I’ve got a 1080 and a 1440p monitor. I wonder if I could hit 60fps on this. I loved asylum on 360 and have consider getting city and knight on steam

I’ve got a 1080 and a 1440p monitor. I wonder if I could hit 60fps on this. I loved asylum on 360 and have consider getting city and knight on steam
Easy. I was getting 84FPS lock at...1260p? I think?...on my 1070. 1440p will be a breeze for a 1080. Just make sure to disable all the Gameworks features (you can keep rain) because they hit the framerate hard.

acm2000

Easy. I was getting 84FPS lock at...1260p? I think?...on my 1070. 1440p will be a breeze for a 1080. Just make sure to disable all the Gameworks features (you can keep rain) because they hit the framerate hard.
the gameworks stuff is what makes this game so impressive, doing stuff games still dont even do to this day.

Last edited:
the gameworks stuff is what makes this game so impressive, doping stuff games dont even do to this day.
For good reason, sadly. It's playable but you're going to struggle to get 60FPS out of it much above 1080p, atleast on a Pascal card. Maybe the RTX 3090 can handle it.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
michael keaton batman GIF

sn0man

Yeah I’m so glad I’ve got my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW card right now. I would love a RTX 3080 FE but as we know it’s extremely difficult to find one. I honestly might play it at 1080p 60fps with my 1080 because I like graphical effects.

Strider311

The comments regarding bad performance on the PC versions of the Arkham games are odd to me. I’ve put hundreds of hours into all of them, as it’s my favorite series, and I’ve never had issues getting 60fps maxed out. I didn’t even have a killer rig back then.

I can’t imagine anyone having issues running these with even a modest current gaming pc.

Regardless, great to see this performance on console. Shame about requiring the disc.

Shmunter

Opposite for me. The dark twisted gritty setting is more to my taste. Not to mention gadgets and tech for Batman fit, but feel silly in Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Top Bottom