• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo-Kazooie Trailer - Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online

sinnergy

jmlvDNl.png
Yes, but why isn’t it in the switch version as the ip is owned by MS.

Yes, but why isn’t it in the switch version as the ip is owned by MS.
Because it's a ROM. Meaning they didn't change anything from the original 1998 build.

NOTE: This emulator supports texture swapping, but they didn't bother with parts in the video that actually look bad, if Microsoft didn't require them to change it then of course they didn't.

Probably also keeps the start menu this:

Banjo-Kazooie-title.png

Instead of this:

banjo-kazooie-xbox-one-title-screen.jpg

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Bit damning that people are saying n64 emulation on the switch is so shit play that I should look elsewhere to play BK.

Caio

Guess on which hardware is running...
edited : image failed to be uploaded...sorry

Last edited:

PJX

Banjo has it's own camera issues. Not to Banjo controls like shit compared to Mario 64. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but not in the same league as SM64.
Banjo control issues is far more tolerable than the shitty camera that Mario 64 has. The camera issues also makes Mario control like shit because of how bad it is. My daughter tried to play Mario 64 and gave up after an hour because she said the camera was really bad. When she played Banjo, she didn't have much issue and made it quite far before she needed my help.

sinnergy

Because it's a ROM. Meaning they didn't change anything from the original 1998 build.

NOTE: This emulator supports texture swapping, but they didn't bother with parts in the video that actually look bad, if Microsoft didn't require them to change it then of course they didn't.

Probably also keeps the start menu this:

Banjo-Kazooie-title.png

Instead of this:

banjo-kazooie-xbox-one-title-screen.jpg
I think it’s gracious of MS to be honest .

Kuranghi

Its mad that the games cutscenes sometimes look like they were framed for 16:9, rather than 4:3, when you look at that comparison the N64 version often has characters cut off that are visible in the Xbox version and it seems like the true composition they were going for.

Could they have originally planned to have the cutscenes be letterboxed on N64?

Kokoloko85

Never really got the Mario 64 comparison. 3D platformer vs. collectathon. Completely different games.
Both have platforming to collect stuff. Both are 3D platformers and collectathons.
Mario needs stars to open the next level, Banjo needs puzzle or music pieces lol. Both jump and shizzle

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great game from that era, in the last three years we’ve had Yooka Layle, games get how bad that basement project nutts and bolts was.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Bit damning that people are saying n64 emulation on the switch is so shit play that I should look elsewhere to play BK.
Switch 64 emulation is fine. Some games have tiny one off things that ultimately doesn’t matter to the gameplay. I’ve played several games from start to finish and had no issues.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Banjo-Kazooie has released on Nintendo Switch via the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack. This 3D Collect-a-thon platformer is essential to the genre and is back on Nintendo consoles! Here are 14 minutes of gameplay featuring the first level, Mumbo's Mountain where Banjo and Kazooie learn to Talon Trot and get transformed into a termite. Banjo Kazooie released on Nintendo 64 Online on January 20th, 2022

Last edited:

MacReady13

I wish I could just buy the game on Switch. I don’t want to sign up for Nintendo’s online thing just so I can play N64 games.
Same. Unfortunately so many want subscription only services and this is the only way to play it on the Switch. And people keep telling me other companies with sub services won’t eventually tie their games down to a sub service like Nintendo is doing here…

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So while I’m curious to see how this performs on Switch and how it looks on modern screens, I hooked it up on my N64 and CRT TV.
Still one of the finest designs in 3D gaming, this game is still worth every minute you’ll spend on it.

Incidentally, has anyone ever managed to fix their N64 analogue stick?
The controller that came with my console is completely busted. The console won’t even detect it half the time, and after a minute on Spiral Mountain the right half of the stick’s range stopped registering. I took out my second controller and while it works mostly fine, it drifts towards the Up position so that Banjo can’t stay still.
I have two more controllers in my basement and they’re newer and less used than these two, but I’m wondering if there’s a decent replacement other than those $125 steel sticks (that are always sold out anyway).

Incidentally, has anyone ever managed to fix their N64 analogue stick?
The controller that came with my console is completely busted. The console won’t even detect it half the time, and after a minute on Spiral Mountain the right half of the stick’s range stopped registering. I took out my second controller and while it works mostly fine, it drifts towards the Up position so that Banjo can’t stay still.
I have two more controllers in my basement and they’re newer and less used than these two, but I’m wondering if there’s a decent replacement other than those $125 steel sticks (that are always sold out anyway).
The sticks might be fixable, here is a good video to draw inspiration from:

(Joystick at 7:20)

Alternatively, you can replace it with a modern "gamecube-style" one.

They sell them on ebay:

-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/171993923449

There's also replacements for the old design but I would avoid them personally, they're naturally prone to drifting.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Same. Unfortunately so many want subscription only services and this is the only way to play it on the Switch. And people keep telling me other companies with sub services won’t eventually tie their games down to a sub service like Nintendo is doing here…

Yeah Id love if they bring back Virtual Console. Im sure they can do both subscription service and shop/virtual console for retro games

Tschumi

Best 3D platformer ever made, don’t sleep on it.

Last play through on Xbox I 100% the game in just over 5 hours.
Came here to find your comment

Love BK, was a really big deal in the late 90s, i took it as writ that it was, in retrospect, the halo ce of platformers... No idea how it's aged

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Banjo-Kazooie is now on Nintendo Switch, but is it truly the best way to play the game? We compare the N64 version found on Nintendo Switch Online to the Xbox's Rare Replay version across 20 different categories to see what all the changes and difference, and ultimately decide which version is best. Who will be the ultimate victor?! Let's find out!

0:00 - Intro
1:09 - Image Quality
1:46 - Screen ratio
2:20 - Draw Distance
3:28 - Framerate
4:04 - We Don't Talk About Nintendo
5:15 - Faithfulness
5:53 - Font Upgrade
6:14 - Uncensored
7:17 - Cutscenes
8:53 - Improved Textures
9:37 - A Note-able Fix
10:25 - Avoids the Note Glitch
10:53 - Camera
11:22 - Controls
11:55 - Random Changes
12:33 - Extras
13:17 - Skip dialogue
13:43 - Save states
14:14 - Stop N Swap
15:32 - Most Faithful
16:35 - Verdict and outro

Yeah Id love if they bring back Virtual Console. Im sure they can do both subscription service and shop/virtual console for retro games
For me this method is just more of the same. We've had 3 generations of consoles with retrocompatibility, from Wii, Wii U and now Switch, and for every one of them, they changed the online service altogether and didn't allow you to migrate your purchases.

That's a huge red flag against purchasing things on Nintendo platforms, as it feels more like renting - which is exactly what the Nintendo Service Online has turned into. They're also doing very little here, there's no reason for most N64 games to be 4:3 still (particularly laughable when they sell an OLED model), not to mention improving some textures to remove tiling as we know from Super Mario 64 that the emulator fully allows for it.

Here's Banjo Kazooie running 16:9 on real hardware:

Top Bottom