• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo-Kazooie decompilation project is now 80% complete, which could lead to a PC port

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The latest in a series of N64 decompilation projects, one of which lead to an unofficial PC port of Nintendo 64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the team behind the Banjo-Kazooie project now say that their efforts are almost complete.

Officially, Banjo-Kazooie is playable on PC via Xbox‘s cloud streaming. However, a native PC port could allow for high resolutions and modding for new graphics and modern effects such as ray-tracing.

The Banjo-Kazooie project is being worked on by a team of fan decompliers. While the GitHub page doesn’t issue the team with an official name, users MittenzHugg, Mr-Wiseguy, Ryan-Myers, ThatCowGuy, Kaimeister, RageCage64, Wedarobi, eEarthcrafterman, Isotarge and Mkst are all listed as contributors.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Holy shit thatcowguy is behind this all?

damn goty we used to tell stories about him during campfires

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
austin powers balloon GIF

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's really worth it?

I mean, you could do mods and shit, but there's better [already opened] games out there

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Neat I guess, though the xbla port is already perfect
1. you need an xbox to play it so PC and switch users are kind of fucked
2. it's locked at 720p 30fps
3. this will get graphical enhancements like the Mario 64 decomp did

Banjo's cool but i want a Mario Kart 64 decomp next

1. you need an xbox to play it so PC and switch users are kind of fucked
2. it's locked at 720p 30fps
3. this will get graphical enhancements like the Mario 64 decomp did

Banjo's cool but i want a Mario Kart 64 decomp next
You're a philistine for wanting to ruin all old art with rt

2. Banjo doesn't need more than 720p, and the draw distance was extended to infinite on xbla

3. 60fps means less on 64 games with less frames of animation and actually could make it look worse

Jinzo Prime

Damn near finished with OpenGOAL Jak and Daxter, working through Mario 64 SM64pc, waiting on stable SoH Ocarina of Time, now this?! PC out here cruisin' :)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You're a philistine for wanting to ruin all old art with rt

2. Banjo doesn't need more than 720p, and the draw distance was extended to infinite on xbla

3. 60fps means less on 64 games with less frames of animation and actually could make it look worse
i never said anything about wanting RT in banjo, when i said graphical enhancements i meant moreso like Render96 where they redo the models and environments to look better, although Mario 64 needs it more since it aged far worse visually than banjo
if you're fine with 720p you're fine with it, doesn't mean we all are though. that last statement is fucking stupid because Mario 64 translated to 60fps perfectly with 0 issues and it's my perferred way of playing the game

i never said anything about wanting RT in banjo, when i said graphical enhancements i meant moreso like Render96 where they redo the models and environments to look better, although Mario 64 needs it more since it aged far worse visually than banjo
if you're fine with 720p you're fine with it, doesn't mean we all are though. that last statement is fucking stupid because Mario 64 translated to 60fps perfectly with 0 issues and it's my perferred way of playing the game
Philistine

You like those disgusting fan made texture packs I'm sure

Begone!

Banned

render96 looks disgusting...
the better way to improve mario 64's graphics would be to simply use the a mix of original and Mario 64 DS assets and clean them up here and there.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You like those disgusting fan made texture packs I'm sure
no? most of the mario 64 texture packs are awful based on the fact that low poly assets do not work with high res textures, they look awkward and ugly. Remaking the assets from the ground up pretty much gives more potential for the game to look better than a simple texture pack
graphics aside, there's still a reason to decompile the game as it's not just graphical enhancements that come but gameplay enhancements as well. SM64 co op would never have happened if it weren't for the game getting decompiled
stop being such a dick

Last edited:
Top Bottom