• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco and From Software announce Elden Ring for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

GermanZepp

Another rumor.

As usual, I won’t be divulging my source.
  • Most of the combat is built upon the foundation of Souls series.
  • The powers you get from the bosses are integrated to combos like the prosthetic in Sekiro but for all weapons.
  • Some of those can also be used in the open world to open new path much like in Zelda.
  • « FP » bar like is used and it is part of the new burn mechanic. Using these powers burns your arms until they become ashes. Your arms can also be cut by ennemies if burned to a certain degree. You can use mechanical arms as a weaker replacement.
  • Limbs are dropped by ennemies but only some can be used as replacement for your arm. Most of the others are rotten or already burned. They can also be offered to « covenants ».
  • Resting at specific « altar » fully recovers your arms.
  • Stealth-kills allow to recover a bit from the burns.
  • Specific skills like crouch, swim, dive, power stance, dash, crafting herbs, magic, dual wield, parry, deflect, climb, hiding in the environnement, faith, drain, roll, super armor, high jump, awareness, knowledge
  • Skill trees with different paths.
  • The skills attributed depend on your starting class. You obtain some skills during the game depending on your build by using skill points.
  • Your arms are a new « mechanic » as well.
  • There is a « hand » command.
  • You have to sheath your weapon to use the Hand command.
  • Grab and launch objects (interrupters, levers, rocks...), push rocks, inspect the walls and manually push blocks by using both the joystick and the grab command.
  • No indication to what you can or can’t grab/push. By that I mean no text when you stand in front of a lever to activate it.
Almost forgot : first gameplay at VGA. Release April 2020.
Maybe more later.

Pejo

Interesting info from that reddit post. Definitely quite a few mechanics at play, sounds like they want you to switch up on the fly instead of making a dedicated build. That worries me a bit because I've never seen an implementation of it truly work. It was the main negative I had for BotW for instance, the way they made the weapon durability system work. I like getting a weapon, mastering the moveset, and finding uses for it, not bouncing around between 200 model swaps. I do have faith in FROM though, so hopefully it plays out well or is less pronounced than the rumor suggests.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder who their source was? I want to believe, but I also don't want to be trolled about this.

In the trailer the character attaches their arm. I've been thinking that that whole thing is a game mechanic. The player somehow utilizes their body in a way that changes the play style. But we know.. Sekiro = prosthetic = Elden Ring rumor.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I got it pre ordered for the ps4.

Was going to wait to see if it had a cool collector's edition but I got it during Amazon's buy 1 and get 50% off one. So I got it and the final fantasy 7 remake steelbook when it was 10 dollars off.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Forgive my ignorance and laziness with google foo but do MS have the advertising rights to this one? I can’t remember?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
2:40 Elden Ring gameplay reveal on July 23.
200.gif

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So yes... and no.... so possibly.

So far I’ve seen zero from Sony for this but a few things from Xbox, so it’s likely they did.

Either way the wife and I will be sat there watching with a big ass pizza like we do each big e3 event and will shit ourselves with excitement when it comes on. We do love some souls.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes, exclusive marketing rights.
What a waste of money all the souls heads will be buying PS5. The only meaningful move would an exclusive for souls heads. Gives me a bathroom break when i watch the show later that day.

Ar¢tos

What a waste of money all the souls heads will be buying PS5. The only meaningful move would an exclusive for souls heads. Gives me a bathroom break when i watch the show later that day.
Yes, but what other developer from Namco would MS want to do marketing deals for?
Most other Namco games are either Sony exclusives or very JP orientated.
"Souls" are the ones with most appeal to the west, even if they sell more on Sony platforms, and if the marketing deal sells a few more Xbox copies it's a win for both parties (Namco doesn't care about the Sony-MS share of sales as long as it sells and free advertising is free advertising!).

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes, but what other developer from Namco would MS want to do marketing deals for?
Most other Namco games are either Sony exclusives or very JP orientated.
"Souls" are the ones with most appeal to the west, even if they sell more on Sony platforms, and if the marketing deal sells a few more Xbox copies it's a win for both parties (Namco doesn't care about the Sony-MS share of sales as long as it sells and free advertising is free advertising!).
Zero marketing deals for non exclusives use that money to buy studios or exclusives. It won't sell one extra copy or series x consoles. These are ultra hardcore fans marketing to them is foolhardy. These fans know ill get it for my PS5 or PC they are not going to be tricked by a marketing deal. If namco wants a marketing deal caugh up an exclusive 8 hour expansion or something that sells copies-consoles. Microsoft can pay for the costs associated with expansion sure but it is worth then.

unknown.png
That Instagram account looks totally legit. Very trustworthy. Time to get hyped!

Jokes aside, this is about as safe a guess as you're gonna get with this game. If From/Bamco do have news to share before the year is over, they'll probably do it at TGS next week.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

They probably started working on a next gen version of the game. I think that is the reason they have gone quiet for so long. I also believe that the DeS remake might have them hesitant to reveal anything. There is just no way Elden Ring will look better graphically so art direction, gameplay and atmosphere have to be on point.

Top Bottom