• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco and From Software announce Elden Ring for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Mista

Banned

Bandai Namco and From Software announced Elden Ring for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC at the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference.

Here is an overview of the game, via Bandai Namco:
Elden Ring, developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki—creator of the influential Dark Souls video game series; and George R.R. Martin—author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware’s largest game to-date.

Hidetaka Miyazaki, President and Game Director of FromSoftware Inc. known for directing critically-acclaimed games in beloved franchises including Armored Core, Dark Souls, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

George R.R. Martin is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of many novels, including the acclaimed series A Song of Ice and Fire – A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast For Crows, and A Dance with Dragons. As a writer-producer, he has worked on The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast, and various feature films and pilots that were never made.

In a press release, From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki said, “Collaborating with George R.R. Martin to create the Elden Ring mythos has been a genuinely delightful experience and a source of wonderful inspiration. The team is working hard to ensure that the world of Elden Ring will be a fascinating place for players to explore, filled with peril and wonder from its furthest reaches to its lowest depths. This is a From Software title through and through, rich in fantasy and RPG action. We sincerely hope you look forward to it.”

George R.R. Martin added, “Building the world of Elden Ring with Miyazaki-san and his team was a treat! The graphics, mythos, and action-RPG gameplay will deliver an unforgettable experience. I can’t wait for people to see what Elden Ring has in store for them.”

Screenshots:

Elden-Ring_2019_06-09-19_001.jpg

Elden-Ring_2019_06-09-19_002.jpg

Elden-Ring_2019_06-09-19_003.jpg

Elden-Ring_2019_06-09-19_004.jpg

Elden-Ring_2019_06-09-19_005.jpg

Elden-Ring_2019_06-09-19_008.jpg

New Info:

- Dark fantasy action RPG, 3rd person. Focus on RPG elements.
- Has character customisation elements
- Open world is one of the biggest differences compared to previous titles

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
That was a very compelling trailer. Most FromSoftware titles are announced with a cinematic trailer, so gameplay will likely be the next trailer hopefully?

Quality gameplay, quality art direction, and quality writing. What more can I ask for?

Mr Hyde

Highlight of E3. As expected. Miyazaki and From are the gods of video games right now for me. And teaming up with George RR Martin is just a sweet bonus, he should fit perfectly within the type of dark fantasy worlds that Miyazaki likes to create. Can´t wait for gameplay footage.

pr0cs

Certainly the most interesting game of the show for me, love both From and GRRM so on paper at least this could be very good

RedVIper

Banned
Well I'm definitely more hyped than I was for sekiro.

Can't wait to see game play, I hope they go back to souls and build on it.

Side note, the audio seems a bit weird in that trailer.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

They're the complete opposite in how they approach storytelling amongst other things imo..

Not when it comes to world building. Martin has said he was a consultant on the game, so it´s hard to tell to which extent he has provided with the writing. My guess is that he has worked more with the creation of the world the game is set in, as opposed to writing dialogue and scenario, which the trailer also strongly highlighted. "A new world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki and George RR Martin." And even if Miyazakis approach to storytelling differs vastly compared to Martin, which is given since they are working in two completely different mediums, a collaboration between the two is not something that I feel is out of place since Miyazaki is a huge book nerd who takes more inspiration from literary works and classic fantasy authors, rather than taking inspiration from say other video game designers or movies.

Last edited:

Xenon

These two teaming up is an interesting idea. So hopefully we end up with a great game that plays extremely well with a story I actually understand.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
Last edited:

DelireMan7

The trailer let me mixed feelings. Especially the aesthetics.

I really like the shots with the "female blacksmith" but I find the shots of the characters "outside" (especially the one at 1:25) quite ugly.

The interview of Miyazaki hyped me much more. I need to see some gameplay to be fullly sold.

stickkidsam

Looks pretty kick-ass. Looking forward to From's first real open world game. Not sure if you'd consider the prior ones as such.

Mista

Banned
Hopefully they clear their head. I don't want this game to be another SoulsBorne (which most probably won't be)

DanielsM

Banned
Its crazy to say but really this has been the only thing of interested (maybe Doom as well) shown at E3, and it barely shows anything. Crazy bad E3, but hopefully this game delivers. Love the troll looking guy.

Other than TLOU2, not sure much is going on next year as well.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited about this. I already love FS games for the gameplay, and I never paid much attention to the lore because I just never had any clue what was going on at any given time. I'm hoping GRRM helping flesh this out fixes that issue for me. I'm also in for wearing an arm on an arm...I want to see what that's all about.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
wonder if Vaati has been given info and will drop some stuff on the game. he has been hinting that he knew about some other things in the past. can't wait to see what he has to say about all of this.

yeah this game sounds like a GOTG to me! it and Death Stranding and the FFVII Remake all coming out in a year or so, it's almost too good to be true. 2020 gonna rule.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
Elden Ring will be shown to the press at Gamescom.

Yumi

Elden Ring will be shown to the press at Gamescom.

"The Japanese company plans to show the Elden Ring to the press, the game that From Software is working on with George Martin. We will be present at this show and, of course, we will tell you all the details."

Google translated. I wonder how they will "show". Im hoping for a trailer with some gameplay.

Top Bottom