• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate/Planescape Torment/Icewind Dale get console release dates.

KàIRóS

I'm only getting Planescape I love that game, it's my fav PC game ever and I'll support anything related to the game, I'm getting the switch version.

I think 50 for physical isn't bad for Switch because the used price will probably be 35-40+. It will be a rare game for collectors. Not sure about ps4 or Xbone though.

Of course it's bad. $50 is fuckin ludicrous. These are like 20 year old games with minimal updates to them.

Cranberrys

Of course it's bad. $50 is fuckin ludicrous. These are like 20 year old games with minimal updates to them.

A good game is a good game, time has nothing to do with it. Apocalypse Now has just been released on UHD Blu-ray, it's a 1979 movie and its price is exactly the same as any new release on the format as it should be. I don't see why a game should be discounted just because it's old? Plus, there's no obligation to buy those games, if you feel the price is wrong. You can wait for a sale (since sales are more or less permanent on PSN & XBL), you can buy them on PC or whatever but 50$ for games that had never been released on consoles before, filled with at least 150 or 200 hours of gameplay, it's not really expensive. As a console gamer, I'm very excited to finally play those games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A good game is a good game, time has nothing to do with it. Apocalypse Now has just been released on UHD Blu-ray, it's a 1979 movie and its price is exactly the same as any new release on the format as it should be. I don't see why a game should be discounted just because it's old? Plus, there's no obligation to buy those games, if you feel the price is wrong. You can wait for a sale (since sales are more or less permanent on PSN & XBL), you can buy them on PC or whatever but 50$ for games that had never been released on consoles before, filled with at least 150 or 200 hours of gameplay, it's not really expensive. As a console gamer, I'm very excited to finally play those games.
Without mouse support it's like playing dark souls with gamecube bongo controllers.

You could but why the fuck would you?

Handheld on an ipad + pen is way better
And this is coming from someone with civ 6 on the switch. After playing that shit for a good 10 min. I said no.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How about $20 and under for the same?
Cause that's what it costs for all four games on PC.

Not everyone likes playing on PC, nor paying for a prolonged rental - which is all digital games are.

The ability to have an updated physical release of these amazing games and being able to play them handheld/on-the-go (Switch) is well worth the price, IMO.

Last edited:

FranXico

From PlayStation Blog EU:

Available in Europe (except most countries of Europe).

source.gif

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Will the PC get controller support? Would love to play from the couch
I too would like this regardless of ppl who are abhorred by the thought. The only reason I think it won't happen is Pillars of Eternity. Consoles got controller support but it was never added to PC. I am holding off on double-dipping on the console versions to see if they do add controller support for PC.

Hostile_18

Banned

Baldur's Gate collection 9.5/10.

Planescape/Icewind collection 8.5/10.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Holy **** Baldurs Gate is up and its substantially more than the physical release £47.99.

Edit: Planescape is up at the same price £47.99.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Up where?

UK PSN. Its £32.99 physical or £47.99 digital... quite the difference.

Menus seem good. Movement is easy with the analogue stick. Theres a zoom level for everyone (I worried characters might be too small).

If you've played the game before the PS4 port seems to do it justice.

Menus seem good. Movement is easy with the analogue stick. Theres a zoom level for everyone (I worried characters might be too small).

You actually paid 48 pounds for this???

Hostile_18

Banned
You actually paid 48 pounds for this???

It's only a smidge less than the cost to purchase Cyberpunk 2077... so imagine the effort that must of gone into this at that asking price!... but yes, yes I did lol. It works out about 40 after pre purchasing my credit elsewhere.

Not happy with the pricing but the games were a big part of my childhood. It's over 100+ hours of content. I'm 1000% waiting for a big sale on the Planescape title.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm only in the first area but so far the controls seem really good. You can move with the stick and if your near something like a person or barrel etc it auto highlights then you just press X. If you want to do a more complicated action its Square to bring up a actions menu and then press X.

Real test will be the more complicated fights I guess! Text size is adjustable. No more loading is strange!

HeresJohnny

They are always fucking digital buyers over, that’s nothing new. The idiots buy games digital for more than retail so it seems they like the fucking.

I never played any of these games, so I’m super tempted to pick these up. I’ve heard great things about pretty much all of them.

Last edited:

klosos

Baldurs gate 2 is my all time greatest game so i had to buy the limited edition , its nearly Xmas so i thought id treat myself.

I'm only in the first area but so far the controls seem really good. You can move with the stick and if your near something like a person or barrel etc it auto highlights then you just press X. If you want to do a more complicated action its Square to bring up a actions menu and then press X.

Great to hear that the controls are good, i cant wait to jump in(even tho ive finished this 10+ times) i think ill get the platnium

Hostile_18

Banned
Baldurs gate 2 is my all time greatest game so i had to buy the limited edition , its nearly Xmas so i thought id treat myself.

Great to hear that the controls are good, i cant wait to jump in(even tho ive finished this 10+ times) i think ill get the platnium

That's the only downside for me actually; loads of the trophies require multiple play throughs. Still amazing games.

GenericUser

Because
Without mouse support it's like playing dark souls with gamecube bongo controllers.

You could but why the fuck would you?

Handheld on an ipad + pen is way better
And this is coming from someone with civ 6 on the switch. After playing that shit for a good 10 min. I said no.
My arm is fucked up and I can't play with a mouse for an extended time. That's why.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So the UI is actually good? It looked super low effort on the early screens. I'll probably skip the console versions anyway, I tried to play a long RPG recently (Original Sin 1) and failed miserably. 2-3 hours of free time per day is simply not enough for these kinds of games. ;)

Hostile_18

Banned
So the UI is actually good? It looked super low effort on the early screens. I'll probably skip the console versions anyway, I tried to play a long RPG recently (Original Sin 1) and failed miserably. 2-3 hours of free time per day is simply not enough for these kinds of games. ;)

It is. I'm just past the friendly arm inn, no problems at all. It's as good as any isometric RPG I've played on console.

Only negatives are
- Price
- No quick save
- World map text too small unless hovering pointer over.

The latter two will hopefully be patched.

If the money isn't an issue I'd 100% recommend.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
On spanish PSN this didn't release yesterday, I wonder what happened.
My guess is that they didn't prepare all versions on time. A similar thing happened to Horizon Chase Turbo which didn't release in many European countries until a few months later.

vkbest

My guess is that they didn't prepare all versions on time. A similar thing happened to Horizon Chase Turbo which didn't release in many European countries until a few months later.

The game released on BluRay on Spain with spanish subtitles I think., so couldn't be that. Only digital release was out. You can buy on Spanish eShop for Switch too.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
These games are so addictive. You can spend ages just micro managing your party lol.

Are we going to have an OT? Or rename this one?

I think I've met two of the new characters in the base game. They seem to fit in well.

Top Bottom