• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate/Planescape Torment/Icewind Dale get console release dates.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Link to gematsu article.

- Physical editions for PS4, Xbone, and Switch available at Gamestop/Target/Walmart/Best Buy.
- September 24th release for Baldurs Gate I & II, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment
- December 3rd release for Neverwinter Nights.
- $50 each. Baldurs Gates are bundled together. Icewind Dale and Planescape are bundled together. Neverwinter is standalone.
- Redesign of UI and controls to accommodate for console experience.
- High resolution and widescreen support.
- New content, balance changes, voice work.

Hostile_18

Banned
That does seem pricey $50 for two older games. Glad Neverwinter is separate though as that's the only one I have no interest in.

Will be very interested how it looks on my 65 Oled lol. Day 1 for me.

Yeesh, that's pricey. The games are worth it though if you've never played them.
Still interested in how they made a controller interface for the Infinity engine.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Physical

Console

Releases?

giphy.gif

I'm in for the Baldur's Gate and the IWD/PST combos.

From a PC perspective, I can understand why this seems like a hike, but from a console gamer's perspective, this is great.

(I still own my 4-disc copy of BGII, as well as the AD&D Anthology)

JSoup

Banned
$150 is pretty steep for the set, considering the same four games are half that, if not less, via GOG/Steam.
Still would like it, though.

Paltheos

I have a novel interest in how Planescape would play on console. I played it last year and the combat is ass. I generally prefer RPGs on controllers anyway but I wonder what changes they made to the UI. If it's just a straight port from PC, I'm getting some bad portents.

I'm interested in the Baldur's Gate bundle for Switch. I'll get the others if Baldur's Gate plays well. I wonder what balance changes they've made for the console versions?

The price is absolutely insane, but make it a somewhat competent port and I'm there. The idea of owning a physical copy of Planescape Torment on my PS4 is fucking bonkers, I can't pass that up.

Reactions: Isa

Fbh

Nice seeing these coming to consoles. But as others have said, the price is pretty crazy for a bunch of really old games

$150 is pretty steep for the set, considering the same four games are half that, if not less, via GOG/Steam.
Still would like it, though.

Yep.
Don't know what price they have in the US but with regional pricing each one is showing up for less than $10 in GOG for me.
On a good sale you can probably get them all for like $30

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Now that's what I call a pure clean and unadulterated rip off. Just get them on PC. GoG has it for all your gaming pleasure.

Last edited:
Not a chance I pay anywhere close to this asking price. This is purely for the suckers who must impulse buy at launch. If you can't wait for a sale then cool, but I feel like this sort of price gouging should be punished by the market. I'll get these at maybe $20 or less apiece. And even that is pushing it.

Aw that sucks. IWD2 was a good game and had the most advanced adaptation of the D&D ruleset out of the Infinity engine games IIRC

It was the last of the Infinity engine games, and I think it was almost entirely 3rd edition rules,.whereas BG2 had only pieces of 3rd ed.
I'd love to play it again, but my gog copy won't launch for some reason. It is quite unfortunate that it is the only Infinity engine game that won't get a remaster.

Beamdog is fucking delusional. If you want portability you can literally buy a cheapo Amazon Fire tablet, all the mobile versions of those games and Neverwinter Nights AND still have change left over. Quite sure a Fire HD has a better screen too.

manfestival

Gotta disagree. I am more than happy to pay this premium for modern day physical re-releases, especially for a portable console. As much as I love my originals in their big boxes for PC - I despise having to rely on digital means to play them nowadays.
You can find as much value in any game but it is clearly a lot when you can find far cheaper copies of the game readily available and have been for years. including the original CD versions.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You can find as much value in any game but it is clearly a lot when you can find far cheaper copies of the game readily available and have been for years. including the original CD versions.

The average price for a CIB Big Box copy of Baulder's Gate is around 40 dollars. That is just for one game. You can find physical loose discs for far cheaper, but a collector doesn't want that stuff.

Helios

The average price for a CIB Big Box copy of Baulder's Gate is around 40 dollars. That is just for one game. You can find physical loose discs for far cheaper, but a collector doesn't want that stuff.
But these are not big boxed copies. They're plain cd's of a game that's been around for 20 years. Just get the GOG version and burn a CD if physical is such a big deal.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But these are not big boxed copies. They're plain cd's of a game that's been around for 20 years. Just get the GOG version and burn a CD if physical is such a big deal.

You clearly don't know anything about collector's or people who enjoy physical media. Official releases are what we want. Not boot leg burned CDs.

Reactions: Isa

Helios

You clearly don't know anything about collector's or people who enjoy physical media.
I know you overpay just to have a cheap plastic box to put on a shelf. Again, as far as I'm aware these will not come with the original's extras like the manual or the cloth map. So what are you paying that premium for? The PC version will probably still play better and the "additional content" by Beamdog is probably going to be dogshit as usual. If you want to support Beamdog's practices, it's your money. But you're clearly getting ripped off.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I know you overpay just to have a cheap plastic box to put on a shelf. Again, as far as I'm aware these will not come with the original's extras like the manual or the cloth map. So what are you paying that premium for? The PC version will probably still play better and the "additional content" by Beamdog is probably going to be dogshit as usual. If you want to support Beamdog's practices, it's your money. But you're clearly getting ripped off.

I am paying for the ability to play portably with controllers and in a manner where I am not renting a license for however long the service lasts. As far as I am concerned, you are being ripped off when you buy digitally.

Aren117

I am paying for the ability to play portably with controllers and in a manner where I am not renting a license for however long the service lasts. As far as I am concerned, you are being ripped off when you buy digitally.

The GOG versions are DRM Free, and on PC they will work on newer OS with no need to rebuy each time a new hardware comes out. And they are dirty cheap. They run on notebooks, ultrabooks and even the portable GPD Win. There are ways to play all of these games with a pad, using the Steam controller API too.

These console versions are the rip off.

sol_bad

My question is, will the PC versions get proper controller support? Do they already have controller support? Steam doesn't mention it.

DiscoJer

Aw that sucks. IWD2 was a good game and had the most advanced adaptation of the D&D ruleset out of the Infinity engine games IIRC

Not the most advanced, but the most recent (at the time). It used 3rd edition rules, while others used the 2e rules (albeit sometimes with some things taken from 3e and back converted)

Aren117

Do we know if the gamepad on consoles will have true control on characters, instead of moving a cursor? I think Torment and Pillars of Eternity do let you move your characters, but they are not Beamdog games tho...

My question is, will the PC versions get proper controller support? Do they already have controller support? Steam doesn't mention it.

They do not, sadly.

Ar¢tos

I'm interested... But not 50$ interested...
I'll wait 2 months and get it for half price on sales.
I've been wanting to replay Baldurs Gate for a long time, but haven't had the energy to go look for the game (I have no idea where the game is) and then having to deal with Dosbox, low res graphics etc.

Kadayi

Banned
There are rather unfortunate reasons...

Hopefully one day that code will turn up because I can't imagine there was ever only one copy of it. 🤔

Also, albeit I see a lot of people complaining about the price, the thing to bear in mind is you're talking about a shitload of actual gameplay here in terms of hours.

Up to 200+ hours of play for $50 , that doesn't seem like a bad deal tbh (plus TTB is always subjective)

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Also, albeit I see a lot of people complaining about the price, the thing to bear in mind is you're talking about a shitload of actual gameplay here in terms of hours.

Up to 200+ hours of play for $50 , that doesn't seem like a bad deal tbh (plus TTB is always subjective)

The point of contention is that it's $50 to play on console. If you're just interested in playing in general, you can get all five games for around $45 via Steam/GoG.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
playing with a controller? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i paid like £5 for Baldur's Gate on PC. can't imagine using anything other than a kb/m for these games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
All those games where on sale on ios for about 1 dollar a pop.

Sorry but no

Dibbs

I've been wanting to replay Baldurs Gate for a long time, but haven't had the energy to go look for the game (I have no idea where the game is) and then having to deal with Dosbox, low res graphics etc.

Haha. How hard could it be? Look at Steam or GOG for EE versions. Low res and dosbox? Not really....

Ar¢tos

Haha. How hard could it be? Look at Steam or GOG for EE versions. Low res and dosbox? Not really....
It's not really a priority for me, it's just an idea that pops every now and then. I have the original discs (probably even disks! Can't remember) somewhere and since I don't have a Steam or GoG account I never looked into it.
Buying for console, whenever the price drops (thanks psprices.com notifications!) suits my laziness better.

Top Bottom