• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate is now 20-years old !

klosos

Dragon age Inquisition is a fine spiritual successor to Baldurs gate that gamers are often too wrapped up in their own judgemental/cynical minds to clearly see. Drop your pride and play more games to the end.

Dragon age Origins , is the spiritual successor to BG 1-2 , Dragon age inqustion is the deformed step child of a RPG / MMO lite not brave enough to go full action and stays somewhere in the middle ground and duly disappoints everyone.

Remember press a button something awesome must happen , yes that's when most old school Bioware / Black Isle studio fans knew they had become a corporate shill of what they use to be.

bati

Any tips on character build?

For Bg1 I'd recommend a fighter or fighter/mage dual class. Casters are relatively weak and uninteresting at low lvl in 2nd ed of AD&D. For BG2 my personal favourite is a swashbuckler because it conveniently sidesteps the need for a thief, makes you immune to a certain blindside from the story trigger and, the kit is totally badass at cheesing high level encounters with traps and stealth, and is a pretty decent combatant without having to take any fighter levels. It also has one of the fastest levelling tables so you can reach level 40 by the end

It's a great series that I have played through many, many times since '98. I have yet to play Siege of Dragonspear, though.

Last edited:
Any tips on character build?

Oh man, there are a ton with multi-classing. If you are a first timer, especially if you're new to 2nd Edition AD&D, I'd start with a single class. Starting BG at level one is really rough for most people, some classes can be killed quite easily in one good hit. A good tanky melee character is always a safe bet. Casters start off insanely weak for most of the first game, but become the most powerful by far at end game BG2 shit. Paladins get an amazing sword in BG2...

RAIDEN1

Lands of Lore or Baldur's gate? (Apparently Lands of Lore was meant to have 8 parts to it but ultimately only a trilogy got produced..)

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks all for the tips, I'll try some things out.. just one query, does alignment (chaotic evil etc) make much impact? I was a kid when I played it first time and honestly didn't know a damn thing, it looked cool but that's about as far as I looked into it!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Thanks all for the tips, I'll try some things out.. just one query, does alignment (chaotic evil etc) make much impact? I was a kid when I played it first time and honestly didn't know a damn thing, it looked cool but that's about as far as I looked into it!
I’ve only played through BG1 once, but I’m pretty sure party members can dislike you and even leave the party based on your alignment and/or actions.

Just go for a Chaotic Neutral Wild Mage.

Not only will you be aligned with Chaos, but you'll be empowered by it as well!

Holy crap, I can't believe Beamdog got David Warner back for Siege. I'm already enjoying this but that was an awesome surprise bonus.

BG1 blew me away when I first played it. The art style and atmosphere felt so edgy and adult to me, after playing so many console RPG's prior to it. I loved that.
I have fond memories of cheesing Drizzt to steal all his OP gear, picking up a cool looking two handed sword after killing some ugly giant spider boss and deliberately murdering some of my own useless party members (Dynaheir and Khalid?) to make room for more effective and interesting ones. Even Noober had his charm, though Im sure I killed him immediately on one or two play throughs. He was too much work.
The Tales of the Sword Coast expansion was great because Durlags Tower offered a real challenge, but it also introduced a fatal bug that would stop you completing the game, if you explored too much of the game leading up to it. That bug fucked me over a few times. Very frustrating to experience after investing so many hours in a play through.

anthraticus

Banned
Dragon age Inquisition is a fine spiritual successor to baldurs gate .
Jesus Christ....at least say DAO (which wasn't either)

Either way....

Dragon age inqustion is the deformed step child of a RPG / MMO lite
Even DAO had way too much shitty mmo influences compared to proper d&d

Low level D&D is the shit too. 1 hobgoblin arrow can end you. Love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom