• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III |OT| Three times as awesome

Komatsu

baldur-gate-03-logo.png

baldur-gate-03-generalinfo.png

Developer: Larian Studios
Publisher: Larian Studies
Genre: RPG
Platforms: PC, Stadia
Releaste Date: October 6th, 2020 (Early Access)

System Requirements

Minimum Settings:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 4350
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 150 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Default API is Vulkan 1.1. Directx11 API also provided. The minimum requirements might decrease over the course of Early Access, as performance improves

Recommended Settings:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 150 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Default API is Vulkan 1.1. Directx11 API also provided. The recommended requirements might decrease over the course of Early Access, as performance improves.

baldur-gate-03-story.png

baldur-gate-03-fighter-opaque.gif

Abducted, infected, lost. You are turning into a monster, but as the corruption inside you grows, so does your power. That power may help you to survive, but there will be a price to pay, and more than any ability, the bonds of trust that you build within your party could be your greatest strength. Caught in a conflict between devils, deities, and sinister otherworldly forces, you will determine the fate of the Forgotten Realms together.

baldur-gate-03-races-classes.png
  • Human
The most common face to see in Faerûn, humans are known for their tenacity, creativity and endless capacity for growth. They live fully in the present — making them well-suited to the adventuring life — but also plan for the future, striving to leave a lasting legacy.

• Githyanki
Githyanki are peerless warriors from the Astral Plane, known for their legendary silver blades and red dragon mounts. They seek the total destruction of mind flayers, whose ancient empire enslaved the githyanki for millennia.

• Elf
High Elf: Heirs of the mystical Feywild, high elves value magic in all its forms. Even those who do not study spellcraft can manipulate the Weave.
Wood Elf: Wood elves spend their reclusive lives in Faerûn’s forests. Decades of training in archery and camouflage are enhanced by an otherworldly swiftness.

• Drow
Seldarine Drow: Drow are the result of an ancient schism between the elven deities Corellon Larethian and Lolth. The latter’s treachery drove the drow into the Underdark, where they splintered into warring factions. Seldarine drow can be found seeking allies from all over Faerûn, aiming to settle their conflict with Lolth — and each other — by any means necessary.
Lolth-Sworn Drow: Raised by Lolth’s cult in the city of Menzoberranzan, these drow extol the virtues of their corrupt and merciless goddess. Lolth marks her followers with bright red eyes so the Underdark will learn to fear drow on sight.

• Half-Elf
High Half-Elf: A touch of the Feywild remains in half-elves with this bloodline. Even those untrained in magic possess a hint of wild power.
Wood Half-Elf: Like their wood elf parents, these half-elves have a quickened stride and eye for stealth. Yet many break away from isolation in Faerûn’s forests to explore the rest of the Realms.
Drow Half-Elf: Most half-drow result from liaisons between Seldarine drow and surfacers. While half-drow inherit a few magical gifts, they aren’t usually raised in the Underdark.

• Dwarf
Gold: Gold dwarves are known for their confidence and keen intuition. The culture of their Deep Kingdom values family, ritual and fine craftsmanship.
Shield: Shield dwarves survived a long fall from grace, surrendering many of their ancient kingdoms in wars with goblins and orcs. These losses have led to a cynical mindset, yet shield dwarves will endure anything to restore their ancestral homelands.

• Hafling
Lightfoot Halfling: Lightfoot halflings are stealthy but social, travelling all over Faeûn to make names for themselves.
Strongheart Halfling: Legends say dwarven blood gave stronghearts their hardiness. Resistant to poison and wellsprings of endurance, these halflings easily hold their own.

• Tiefling
Asmodeus Tiefling: Bound to Nessus, the deepest layer of the Hells, these tieflings inherit the ability to wield fire and darkness from the archdevil Asmodeus’ infernal bloodline.
Mephistopheles Tiefling: Descended from the archdevil Mephistopheles, these tieflings are gifted with a particular affinity for arcane magic.
Zariel Tiefling: Tieflings from Zariel’s bloodline are empowered with martial strength and can channel searing flame to punish their enemies.

The following classes will be available during Baldur’s Gate 3 early access:
  • Cleric
  • Fighter
  • Ranger
  • Rogue
  • Warlock
  • Wizard

baldur-gate-03-media.png

baldur-gate-03-screens.png

baldur-gate-03-press.png

GameSpot - What Can We Expect From Early Access?
Baldur's Gate III - Everything We Know

baldur-gate-03-buying.png

Disclaimer: Some of the GIF animations and descriptions were taken from the game's Steam page. The class and race descriptions were taken from the press release given to most major outlets (Polygon, PC Gamer, etc.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
150 GB! Goddamn.

I don't think I'm going to jump in for Early Access, but I might buy the game just to support them and as a pre-order for the full release.

Sentenza

Torn between early access and waiting an eternity for the official 1.0.
"I could enjoy this, replaying it over and over with different builds for months to come, or wait on the sideline complaining that the actual release is far away".
Yeah, I'm not particularly torn between the two options, frankly.

Sentenza

As a huge fan of the Infinity Engine games, and increasingly of Larian with each of their releases, I have high hopes.
What's best, at least on paper, is that this one is going to merge the best of both worlds.
Turn-based combat far closer to the genuine D&D experience, great production value, but it will also address two of the most glaring flaws in the last two Larian games (shitty itemization and progression system) almost by default, by the mere virtue of being based on D&D, which is a far better ruleset.

EDIT: I'm also sort of baffled at the claim it will be a "far bigger game than Original Sin 2". Not sure how that's even possible, since that was already a massive game.

Last edited:

TexMex

"I could enjoy this, replaying it over and over with different builds for months to come, or wait on the sideline complaining that the actual release is far away".
Yeah, I'm not particularly torn between the two options, frankly.

Wasnt complaining that the final release is far away at all. Very excited for this game, so any wait feels long.

Cool post though. The GAF is definitely lacking in snark so thanks for stepping up.

Sentenza

Wasnt complaining that the final release is far away at all. Very excited for this game, so any wait feels long.
The point wasn't if you were "complaining" or not.
The point is that I've seen a similar sentiment expressed even elsewhere but frankly I see absolutely no merit in the "Wait on the sidelines" approach, unless someone hates the idea of having hours of fun with the EA build.
At least DelireMan7 DelireMan7 has a good reason to delay, being busy catching up with the old ones.

bender

What time is it?
What's best, at least on paper, is that this one is going to merge the best of both worlds.
Turn-based combat far closer to the genuine D&D experience, great production value, but it will also address two of the most glaring flaws in the last two Larian games (shitty itemization and progression system) almost by default, by the mere virtue of being based on D&D, which is a far better ruleset.

EDIT: I'm also sort of baffled at the claim it will be a "far bigger game than Original Sin 2". Not sure how that's even possible, since that was already a massive game.

ctrl-f "Minsc" - no results found

GO FOR HIS EYES BOO

Hostile_18

Banned
PC exclusive it needed!

Agree about the early access. You just know an enhanced console port will be coming in a years time.

Sentenza

I don't understand the point of Early Access for a game like this. Just release it when it's finished?
Well, you probably don't, but it doesn't mean there isn't one.
It did wonders to make both the previous Original Sin better games in general, and it was incredibly fun to play around with waiting for the full game.

Agree about the early access. You just know an enhanced console port will be coming in a years time.
Mh? But I don't give absolutely a shit about a console port coming, enhanced or not. Not even if it was a concurrent release.
And it has nothing to do with releasing in EA, anyway.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Well, you probably don't, but it doesn't mean there isn't one.
It did wonders to make both the previous Original Sin better games in general, and it was incredibly fun to play around with waiting for the full game.

Mh? But I don't give absolutely a shit about a console port coming, enhanced or not. Not even if it was a concurrent release.
And it has nothing to do with releasing in EA, anyway.

My point is that for those that only want to play through the game once or want the first time to be the best it can be it might be better off waiting. Divinity 2 got a pretty substantial upgrade.

GreyHorace

The entire first act (out of... Three? Four? Not sure) they said. Which is estimated to be around 25 hours of content.

Damn. That's quite a lot. But I'll wait for them to release the whole thing. Don't have a PC that can run this but I'll hold out hope for a console version.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So finally after many many attempts I'm having a proper crack at BG1 and actually getting into it and enjoying it. The graphics (even on the enhanced edition) are rough as fuck - they suffer from being a bit too busy frankly) but it's a really good game with properly well-written dialogue. Combat is pretty hard but I guess that's because my party is underpowered right now. I have both BG games so I'll work through those then have a look at 3.

The entire first act (out of... Three? Four? Not sure) they said. Which is estimated to be around 25 hours of content.
So at best, it's 150GB for 1/3 of the final game. How does something like that even happen? 8K textures? Uncompressed audio and video?

John2290

Stream it on Stadia 😈
Nah, I'll leave the beta testing to others. I probably could run 1.0 but playing on the console, on the couch or in the bed is just too tempting and Larian have proved they are worth the wait, I wanna experience it as (almost) fully finished in the Extended edition. There are many games that are wait for a sale, few that are day one but only a very small minority that are so good that you'll wait for the complete edition as to get the full experience on your first play so basically, Larian have proven to be wife material.

GHG

Gold Member
PC exclusive it needed!

??

PC will get an EE before the console version even releases.

Early access is standard for recent Larian games - these games are massive with a ton of systems/interactions so it's imperative to have a large number of people playing the game which will unearth any random/edge case bugs and also get some general feedback on balancing etc. That's just not possible with normal play testing.

If you don't like the idea of early access then just wait for the full release next year.

Hostile_18

Banned
??

PC will get an EE before the console version even releases.

Early access is standard for recent Larian games - these games are massive with a ton of systems/interactions so it's imperative to have a large number of people playing the game which will unearth any random/edge case bugs and also get some general feedback on balancing etc. That's just not possible with normal play testing.

If you don't like the idea of early access then just wait for the full release next year.

Yeah that's all I'm saying is potentially wait for a more complete version (what ever platform). Didnt they greatly expand one of the acts for Original Sin 2? Baldurs Gate is such an important game playing it through as early access would seem like a disservice to me. I never normally say wait till the "dlc" is out but when were talking about substantial potential changes to the core game I'd advise waiting.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah that's all I'm saying is potentially wait for a more complete version (what ever platform). Didnt they greatly expand one of the acts for Original Sin 2? Baldurs Gate is such an important game playing it through as early access would seem like a disservice to me. I never normally say wait till the "dlc" is out but when were talking about substantial potential changes to the core game I'd advise waiting.

For divinity 2 they added new quests, rebalanced skills, fixed bugs etc.

That's not the say these games aren't still a great experience without the additions the definitive (and enhanced edition for DOS1) gave us.

Thankfully these games are deep and varied enough to warrant multiple play throughs if you like them enough. It's impossible to do/see everything in a single play through.

There's also a reason why they also allow you to still play the original versions before the definitive/enhanced patches on PC. Some people prefer the original versions before all the changes so they have the option to still play that.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I loved bg2. Is this game just a divinity game with a bg skin?

I do prefer turn based combat but I could never get into divinity properly.

The combat is definitively more Divinity-like, but other than that it seems that it'll be a significantly bigger game, with deep roots in Forgotten Realms lore.

Sentenza

So at best, it's 150GB for 1/3 of the final game. How does something like that even happen? 8K textures? Uncompressed audio and video?
Can't really say.
I doubt it's actually 150Gb for the early access build.
But frankly I don't really give a shit either.

Sentenza

Baldurs Gate is such an important game playing it through as early access would seem like a disservice to me.
I mean, that may true only if your only goal playing a game is completing it and leaving it behind because you live the experience as a pain.
If previous Larian games in early access made me learn something about myself is that I get a lot of enjoyment from experimenting with builds of all sorts while I'm deciding what I will actually play for my first complete playthrough.

Sentenza

Any mention of what it'll cost to play it early access?
If past titles are anything to go by, it should be simply the full price of the final game.
What's "worse", Larian is known for being very sparse with its discounts. Their games go on sales very rarely and only A LOT of months after the original release.

EDIT: Also. they NEVER seem to end like bundle fodder somewhere, either.
In fact I'm not sure if a single Larian title has ever been in a bundle. Possibly not even the super-old original DIvine Divinity.

Last edited:

Komatsu

If past titles are anything to go by, it should be simply the full price of the final game.
What's "worse", Larian is known for being very sparse with its discounts. Their games go on sales very rarely and only A LOT of months after the original release.

Yeah, I usually treat them as preorders with the added benefit of being able to play an early build of the game.

Hype is through the roof. My only wish is that they add the ability to switch on the fly from turn based to real time.
Owlcat made it work brilliantly when they added it to Pathfinder. Real time for trash mobs and turn based when you need extra strategy, it was perfect.

Komatsu

Will this have a coop mode?

CRPGs are very PC centric titles. With that said, it might get a console version later down the line like DOS2

This will be released for consoles at some point down the line, as Divinity Original Sin 2 was. That’s almost certain.

GHG

Gold Member
Why not on consoles?

Have a look at how much these types of games sell on console and then you'll hand your answer.

Besides, if you're stuck on console and into these types of games you should still be occupied by pathfinder kingmaker.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Remains to be seen. I enjoyed Divinity Original Sin 2, however I enjoyed Pathfinder Kingmaker and the Pillars of Eternity much more.

Also more of a real time combat fan. Think I have easily over 1000 hours in the original infinity engine games.

Top Bottom