• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III gameplay premiere set for February 27

plushyp

As an outsider I find funny the debate "RTwP vs Turn based". Personally I don't mind I like both :)
Yeah, its strange that some people deride one over the other. Preference is another thing but calling either of the two superior over the other is an ignorant and uninformed statement. Both have their place in different settings and/or according to the suitability of the rulebooks.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If you don't like turned based you
Yeah, its strange that some people deride one over the other. Preference is another thing but calling either of the two superior over the other is an ignorant and uninformed statement. Both have their place in different settings and/or according to the suitability of the rulebooks.
Nope. RTWP is an abomination.

xool

Ok the trailer is lame but my problem is what is it? It's it a Diablo like game with Drizzt and crew becuase that's kind of badass.

Or is it like a Gauntlet clone, which would suck.
I'm guessing third person hack and slash.

ofc the original had Drizzt as an unlockable character once you finished the game and beat a trial - and he was a full badass.

the idea of playing lvl.1 Drizzt doesn't feel the same to me .. but we'll see

[edit - it's 3rd person with full co-op, including 4 player-splitscreen https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-12-09-dungeons-dragons-series-dark-alliance-new-game ]

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Actually I think it holds to the fact that Baldur's Gate is, for many, a beloved and legendary franchise without a sequel since 2 decades. Bringing sequels from such "Legendary franchise" after so many time is always a risk. Fans are often really attached to them and so changing what they consider some "heart/core" mechanics of "their" serie can triggered strong reaction.

It's a bit like some reactions there was when the FFVII remake gameplay was revealed with a different combat system from the original. Also to an extent, it's a bit like that for each Final Fantasy.

And personally if a next Dark Souls is announced and they remove the Stamina system, I would probably get really angry too ^^
So I can understand all the reactions

RedVIper

Banned
I've played divinity os 2 3 times, I love the game. But I'm still disappointed this game is a lot more like divinity os 2 than with baldurs gate 2.

Imagine paradox was making the next of age empires, aoe 4,and they announced it was going to be a turned based game, like civ. Would you really call that a sequel to aoe?

I'd still play it, and I'd still like the game, but I wouldn't consider that a sequel.

Dissapointed? You don't even know how it feels. Have you seen Dungeon's and Dragon's: Dark Alliance .. imagine being a Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance fan, waiting for #3 also (it's been 15 years btw), and getting this :

Loll that is meme worthy... That way the elf rogue dude waddleruns...i feel for you bro

Never played a Baldur's Gate but was always somehow interested in the franchise.

This look pretty nice. I might try the old ones (but I have an already too long list of RPGs to play...).

As an outsider I find funny the debate "RTwP vs Turn based". Personally I don't mind I like both :)
Try it pillars of eternity 2: deadfire... The 1st one is great but 2 is more refined.. it's probably your most accessible example of BG style gameplay these days...

Last edited:

plushyp

Actually I think it holds to the fact that Baldur's Gate is, for many, a beloved and legendary franchise without a sequel since 2 decades. Bringing sequels from such "Legendary franchise" after so many time is always a risk. Fans are often really attached to them and so changing what they consider some "heart/core" mechanics of "their" serie can triggered strong reaction.

It's a bit like some reactions there was when the FFVII remake gameplay was revealed with a different combat system from the original. Also to an extent, it's a bit like that for each Final Fantasy.

And personally if a next Dark Souls is announced and they remove the Stamina system, I would probably get really angry too ^^
You're right, any move will alienate someone or the other so for the developers it's either a matter of sticking to the roots or catering to the new audience. Either way, someone will be annoyed. Anyway, my main point with the post was about how both combat systems have their uses.

Nope. RTWP is an abomination.
No, it isn't. Both can either be the best or the worst depending on their implementation.

Irobot82

At least with FFVII Remake they announced and ATB option so you can choose between both.

DelireMan7

Try it pillars of eternity 2: deadfire... The 1st one is great but 2 is more refined.. it's probably your most accessible example of BG style gameplay these days...

Thanks for the info. But I could go directly with the BGs no ? I am not "scared" to play old games (because they look extremely old school ^^)

Anyway I am really interested in this kind of RPG. I'll try to squeeze some in between others RPGs... The closest game from this genre (I think) I played was Dragon Age Origins and I loved it.

Fuz

Banned
So Baldur's Gate 3. Baldur's Gate is a city, in the Forgotten Realms setting for Dungeons and Dragons. A game set in/around Baldur's Gate with a D&D ruleset is therefore a Baldur's Gate game.
That's one of the stupidest mental gymnastic I've ever read on this forum.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No, it isn't. Both can either be the best or the worst depending on their implementation.
I have never played a game with RTWP where I wasn't wondering why the hell they went with such a lousy design decision (other than to appease the ADD casual gamers) and how much the game would be improved if it was TB.

Even Obsidian realized the error of their ways and fixed POE2, which now has an actual playable TB system.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I have never played a game with RTWP where I wasn't wondering why the hell they went with such a lousy design decision (other than to appease the ADD casual gamers) and how much the game would be improved if it was TB.

Even Obsidian realized the error of their ways and fixed POE2, which now has an actual playable TB system.

So you don't find stopping and starting all the time slightly immersion breaking? I'd rather focus on acting, story and immersion rather than grinding every combat encounter down to a halt. What kind of game flow can you possibly have. Games should use the medium to remove barriers to imagination (dice rolls etc) not add them.

I want to be on an epic quest, not playing a board game ultimately.

Siri

Banned
You could see it coming a mile away: the old BG fans were going to want an exact replica of a 20 year old game and anything but that would be a ‘pass’.

20 frickin years ago. Gaming has evolved. You can’t survive in the gaming business by staying 20 years in the past.

Hostile_18

Banned
You could see it coming a mile away: the old BG fans were going to want an exact replica of a 20 year old game and anything but that would be a ‘pass’.

20 frickin years ago. Gaming has evolved. You can’t survive in the gaming business by staying 20 years in the past.

If that was the case people would be complaining about every changed aspect but there not.... if it fits the narrative though 😉.

Bringing back a beloved IP just to change something about it that made it so beloved in the first place (its accessibility) is a problem. It dosnt even seem like Larion considered going with what was best for the game in this regard, they just stuck with what they knew (from interviews).

I love alot about this game including the developers passion but this is a massive downer to me. They are changing something so fundamental to the experience it makes you wonder why they just didn't so another Divinity game.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
If that was the case people would be complaining about every changed aspect but there not.... if it fits the narrative though 😉.

Bringing back a beloved IP just to change something about it that made it so beloved in the first place (its accessibility) is a problem. It dosnt even seem like Larion considered going with what was best for the game in this regard, they just stuck with what they knew (from interviews).

I love alot about this game including the developers passion but this is a massive downer to me. They are changing something so fundamental to the experience it makes you wonder why they just didn't so another Divinity game.

Wizards approached Larian after being impressed with Divinity OS2 and gave them the OK with this game knowing full well what it would be.

Handel

How else do you define a franchise other than by connected elements between the games? There are gameplay differences among games in many series, yet characters/story/setting are what connects those games as being apart of the same series. If your definition of a Baldur's Gate game is strictly a game that has RTWP gameplay set in/around Baldur's Gate, then your definition is just as lacking as you say mine is.

The problem isn't my mental gymnastics, it's your inflexibility. Work out that brain some, give different things a try! You have a quitters attitude.

Lanrutcon

And yet, the logic is sound. Fun fact, Baldur's Gate existed almost a decade before the first game did. You do realise that the video game was based on another game that people had been playing since 1990? (past editions not even included)

I feel this thread is a great opportunity to educate folks on the glory that is actual D&D. These...are dice.

Dice_%28typical_role_playing_game_dice%29.jpg

You throw them out the window when a 1 comes up. Especially on that big purple one.

Last edited:

Not true at all.

R6Rider

Gold Member
And I'm not sure why anyone is talking about immersion when it comes to Turn-based or RTWP combat systems. They have never felt immersive.

Siri

Banned
Not true at all.

It is true because this is exactly what’s happened at least a dozen times now - whenever a series is revived by a different studio years or even decades later the original fans of the series cannot be pleased.

And the chief criticism is always the same: “Why did they even bother... this is just their own game with a new name on it.”

Yes you could see this coming a mile away.

Last edited:

Furlong

Banned
Oh Christ, who let the f

People (including the developers) have been telling me for 20 years that Baldur's Gate has turn-based combat really because it is broken down in to 6 second rounds and you can auto-pause at the end of each round. Only now it seems has TB combat become an issue for these people.

Last edited:
It is true because this is exactly what’s happened at least a dozen times now - whenever a series is revived by a different studio years or even decades later the original fans of the series cannot be pleased.

And the chief criticism is always the same: “Why did they even bother... this is just their own game with a new name on it.”

Yes you could see this coming a mile away.
What I was imagining, me being a fan of BG2, was the next step beyond Dragon Age. Dragon Age itself is old and needs updating. I was expecting the next level in the RPG, if it's to be called BG3. Scale needs to be corrected for interiors, so that when you're close up to a character, it doesn't look like the models were only meant to be seen from a top-down perspective.

Siri

Banned
What I was imagining, me being a fan of BG2, was the next step beyond Dragon Age. Dragon Age itself is old and needs updating. I was expecting the next level in the RPG, if it's to be called BG3. Scale needs to be corrected for interiors, so that when you're close up to a character, it doesn't look like the models were only meant to be seen from a top-down perspective.

I was expecting something similar to Original Sin in appearance, but more like BG tactically. I wasn’t expecting real time with pause - it should be obvious that that won’t sell.

What I was hoping for (though I didn’t expect it) was a 3rd person option. Anyway, I’m going into this with an open mind, and fairly low expectations, since neither of the Original Sin games pulled me in, though I was certain they would.

V4skunk

Banned
But dude, you guaranteed us it was going to be rtwp.

What happened to your sources?

Could it be that you were talking from your ass?

Say it isn't so!

Uh. You lot have it so backwards. You keep forgetting it's a D&D game first, and anything else second. Like I said weeks ago: this is the flagship video game for 5E, the most popular iteration of any tabletop RPG ever. Anyone who thought that WotC was going to let their baby be bastardized into some awkward real time conversion is immensely out of touch. The brand exists outside the sphere of video games, and is way bigger than those infinity engine games you remember from back in the day. I'm calling it now: within the next 6 months WotC will announce modules and/or campaign material for 5E based on the events in/around the game, to be published around the time of the game's release.

Tldr: BG3 is aimed at D&D fans. The license was given to Larian to push 5E.
Try harder mate. I'm all out, the same as many others. The backlash is very real.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm...I might check this out in early access, but I couldn't bring myself to finish Divinity II. Makes sense given that it's developed by the same studio. I know people swear by it, but I was hoping for a more action oriented combat.

I've never played a Baldur's Gate before, was BG2 also turn based or is this a new take on the series?

nikolino840

Hmmm...I might check this out in early access, but I couldn't bring myself to finish Divinity II. Makes sense given that it's developed by the same studio. I know people swear by it, but I was hoping for a more action oriented combat.

I've never played a Baldur's Gate before, was BG2 also turn based or is this a new take on the series?
Baldur's gate Is real time with pause

Labadal

Looks like a good rpg. I want to buy it and play it, but it doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate III, but I was never expecting that, to be honest.

I just finished the og saga again not too long ago on Switch. I did a monk run for the first time, 2nd ed monks were a cuisinart at higher levels, especially with the right gear.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I'll definitely buy it for PS5 once it is (inevitably) released. Won't even touch early access, I want to play the full, (mostly) bug-free version.

Dragonborn Paladin for the rescue!

anthraticus

Banned
RtwP allows you to do things you can't do in turn based. It allows you to use your skills and spells in more efficient way.

You can have 2 fighters engaging a mob at a choke point and you can order your mage to cast fireball at them. Those two fighters are in range of the blast but once the mage is about to finish casting the spell, you pause and tell your fighters to move away from the blast area and unpause the game. Your fighters run away while a fireball sails over their heads hitting only enemies.
Try fighting 2 beholders in different areas at the same time in RtwP and see how that feels. lol

I don't care any more. Larian has potentially lost most of the BG fan base.
Not paying full price for a divinity 2 reskin and the backlash is huge on all the forums. Fucking hilarious really.
Alot of us are also not happy at the woke bullshit they are pushing with the paedo gay vampire character.
Uh oh I gotta catch up to the thread but in a tl;dr what's all this now? I mean in regards to this backlash and Divinity 2 reskin stuff you're referring to.

As for the gay vampire, I saw that in the gameplay. Not at all surprised they're going 'woke' but in all fairness, the "gay vampire" is practically a stereotype and trope since Interview with a Vampire and all.

I was wondering can you change the sexual orientation or is it already pre-set?

Nah. Tell you what: I'll buy you a copy. You don't have to play it. You can just stare at the main menu indefinitely with all the bile you can muster.

It'll be fun.

Guaranteed.
I look at this way: if it's a western game (i.e. North American or Europe developed game) it's almost guaranteed to having "checkboxed diversity" all over it nowadays.

Anyways I have it wishlisted on GOG. The game looks great and I'm giddy af seeing an Illithid Nautiloid right from the get-go. And was that a Githyanki? Oh Hells, I hope there's a nice dose of Planescape and Spelljammer throughout.

Full blown Planescape sequel or Spelljammer game (that old SSI one doesn't count) when?

Last edited:

kingbean

I look at this way: if it's a western game (i.e. North American or Europe developed game) it's almost guaranteed to having "checkboxed diversity" all over it nowadays.

Anyways I have it wishlisted on GOG. The game looks great and I'm giddy af seeing an Illithid Nautiloid right from the get-go. And was that a Githyanki? Oh Hells, I hope there's a nice dose of Planescape and Spelljammer throughout.

Full blown Planescape sequel or Spelljammer game (that old SSI one doesn't count) when?

Was torment tides of numenera no good?

Top Bottom