• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III gameplay premiere set for February 27

Mista

Banned

Larian Studios will debut the first gameplay footage of Baldur’s Gate III during a panel at PAX East 2020 on February 27 at 12:30 p.m. PT / 3:30 p.m. ET, the developer announced. The panel will also be live streamed on YouTube.

The panel will feature Larian Studios creative director Swen Vincke and “a very special guest,” who will more about the game’s story and mechanics.

For physical attendees, the panel will offer seating for up to 1,000 people, and those in the audience will be able to take part in a live Q&A with the developers.

Larian Studios will also have its own booth (#14309) dedicated to Baldur’s Gate III, where it will give live gameplay presentations all weekend following the initial gameplay reveal.

Here is the full teaser statement from Larian Studios:
We’ve been working, growing, driving towards this moment for the past few years,” Larian Studios said. “It’s nearly here. The world gameplay reveal of Baldur’s Gate III is just around the corner. Join us at PAX East, or online. Wherever you are in the world, Baldur’s Gate III is coming.

Baldur’s Gate III was announced back at E3 last year, and since then we have been continuing to grow to 350 people, and working on new technology and pipelines that allow them to create a truly next-generation RPG.

Tune in on February 27 at 3:30 p.m. ET to discover why we’ve been quiet over the past few months, and more about the mechanics and gameplay of Baldur’s Gate III.
Gematsu

data_jack

Good to see Swen's trip to WotC to steal their secret sauce is coming to fruition. I hope he is an NPC in full plate armor like he is in the teaser trailers :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yikes

I don’t see the harm in letting you toggle between RTWP and TB. Options are good. This kind of gameplay can accommodate either style

Last edited:
The combat will be awesome regardless based on their previous works. What i'm worried about is the writing, especially the plot and the characters, and the quest design. I'm curious to see if it won't suck, but i'm real skeptical about that. That'll make or break the game and its legacy.

Sygma

Amen brother. Rtwp for the win!

Yeah like AI Gambits that let me autocast like in POE2.

PoE 2 has set such an impossible bar to reach, I'm so excited to see what Larian can do with Rtwp systems. Will be an automatic hard pass if BG 3 has turn by turn as the only option like seriously. Rtwp is much faster and much better on every end (except the pre buff part in BG 2 but its alright, its old)

Very cool. Cannot wait.

Plus they're bringing back Spelljammer into canon, somewhat. The big tentacled thing in the sky was confirmed by devs to be a Nautiloid.... the largest ever.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Hoping for pure turn based on this.

It should be as faithful to D&D 5e as possible. The system hasn't had a video game adaptation yet, this will be the first.

Nothing against RtwP (FFXII rocked, but POE2 was god awful), I'm coming at this from a tabletop player's perspective.

anthraticus

Banned
What why do people want turn based on Baldurs Gate? Might as well play a different game!

Real time with pause all the way, as it's always been!
Because it's a D&D cRPG. (and the Infinity Engine era games should have also been tb like the Gold Box games, Dark Sun and Temple of Elemental were)

At least there's 'unofficial' turn based D&D cRPGs coming out if BG3 does disappoint, like like Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen , Knights of the Chalice 2 and Solasta: Crown of the Magister. I'm kinda expecting Larian to try and market this to a pretty wide demographic, so I wouldn't really be surprised if it's not exactly up my alley anyway.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Hyped. I just hope combat is pure turn-based, not that real-time & pause bullshit. 😠
Sorry but BG3 is guaranteed to be real-time with pause and will push the envelope of interactivity in an rpg world.
Also turn based is kiddy archaic bullshit. If you want turn based gameplay go play Banner Saga or wait for Divinity 3.

Sygma

Hoping for pure turn based on this.

It should be as faithful to D&D 5e as possible. The system hasn't had a video game adaptation yet, this will be the first.

Nothing against RtwP (FFXII rocked, but POE2 was god awful), I'm coming at this from a tabletop player's perspective.

What's funny is that the take on gambit of POE 2 utterly destroys FF XII

Lanrutcon

What's funny is that the take on gambit of POE 2 utterly destroys FF XII

I wouldn't really know. I tried POE2, actually put in about 20something hours. It just didn't click, it felt very disjointed and the combat had a weird feel to it: fights were either complete pushovers or clusterfucks where control went out the window. I think I only saw like, 25%? of the game so I can't really judge it. I really, really wanted to like though. I should try it again with the turn-based mod, I guess. Oh, and I had a lot of performance issues in cities.

Sygma

I wouldn't really know. I tried POE2, actually put in about 20something hours. It just didn't click, it felt very disjointed and the combat had a weird feel to it: fights were either complete pushovers or clusterfucks where control went out the window. I think I only saw like, 25%? of the game so I can't really judge it. I really, really wanted to like though. I should try it again with the turn-based mod, I guess. Oh, and I had a lot of performance issues in cities.

vQiaqIq.png

0oFMt1l.png

No worries I do know, 3rd playthrough of FF XII and did 2 runs of PoE 2 (one before all the dlcs were released, one after including them all). There's the gambit system in poe and its much, much more elaborate than in FF XII

RTWP goes like this : multiple defense / damage mitigation stats hence skills using different ones which you'll prioritize, and a bar under your companion / enemie's hp showing when either will take an action.

Everything else is pausing to adapt to the situation, and outside of a limited amount of cooldowns per combat / friendly fire with spells, you got no limitations whatsoever. Its much faster, much more intuitive and the only thing feeling disjointed in the example you provided is simply you not having understood how the whole thing works

Its not just like Esuna / Dispell in PoE, you got 4 different defenses to take in account and not every skill / weapon deal with them all effectively to begin with

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

No worries I do know, 3rd playthrough of FF XII and did 2 runs of PoE 2 (one before all the dlcs were released, one after including them all). There's the gambit system in poe and its much, much more elaborate than in FF XII

RTWP goes like this : multiple defense / damage mitigation stats hence skills using different ones which you'll prioritize, and a bar under your companion / enemie's hp showing when either will take an action.

Everything else is pausing to adapt to the situation, and outside of a limited amount of cooldowns per combat / friendly fire with spells, you got no limitations whatsoever. Its much faster, much more intuitive and the only thing feeling disjointed in the example you provided is simply you not having understood how the whole thing works

Its not just like Esuna / Dispell in PoE, you got 4 different defenses to take in account and not every skill / weapon deal with them all effectively to begin with

Sounds pretty sweet. So I can set up my party to do stuff via clever logic, and then focus on my main character? I think that would really alleviate the confusion when there's like, 18 characters on screen in a battle.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
how the two previous baldur's gate played? real time just like pillars of eternity?
Previous Baldur's Gate (PC) titles were "real time with pause" (rtwp), and the PS2 Dark Alliance titles were action-RPGs.

Yeah, it's similar to Pillars of Eternity (my memory of the combat is a bit fuzzy but I think it was rtwp).

Sygma

Sounds pretty sweet. So I can set up my party to do stuff via clever logic, and then focus on my main character? I think that would really alleviate the confusion when there's like, 18 characters on screen in a battle.

Yeah

turn by turn is also out since a little while but theres so much combat in the game that it just completely destroys the pacing imho

Lanrutcon

Yeah

turn by turn is also out since a little while but theres so much combat in the game that it just completely destroys the pacing imho

Ehhh pacing is really subjective. For filler fights I want it done quickly. For important fights I want to take my time and do it surgically.

Barnabot

Previous Baldur's Gate (PC) titles were "real time with pause" (rtwp), and the PS2 Dark Alliance titles were action-RPGs.

Yeah, it's similar to Pillars of Eternity (my memory of the combat is a bit fuzzy but I think it was rtwp).
alright then this game goes to my wishlist. thanks

Lanrutcon

You realise that Baldur's Gate and the spin off series like Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights are all in real time! Right?

Chiromantes haematocheir is a mudflat crab of the family Sesarmidae (subfamily Sesarminae), which is endemic to East Asia. It is known under the common names red-clawed crab or akategani (Japanese) and the Latin names Grapsus haematocheir and Sesarma haematocheir. It is quite distinct from the other species placed in the genus Chiromantes, and the genus may be restricted to this one species.

See? I can also post random facts that have nothing to do with Baldur's Gate 3.

V4skunk

Banned
Chiromantes haematocheir is a mudflat crab of the family Sesarmidae (subfamily Sesarminae), which is endemic to East Asia. It is known under the common names red-clawed crab or akategani (Japanese) and the Latin names Grapsus haematocheir and Sesarma haematocheir. It is quite distinct from the other species placed in the genus Chiromantes, and the genus may be restricted to this one species.

See? I can also post random facts that have nothing to do with Baldur's Gate 3.
Well try harder then.
BG3 is guaranteed to be real-time.

devilNprada

What platforms is this coming to? (sorry I didn't check the site). Wikipedia says only Windows and Stadia? Would love this turned based on the Switch!

Belmonte

One thing I wish BG3 has is the Dragon Age Origins camera. It is my favorite style of camera in these types of games and nobody uses it! Third person in exploration for my immershun, seeing the world closer, without hunting black spots in the map and proper tactical camera for battles like it should be.

It is kind of weird to say this since most of my favorite CRPGs uses mouse but I prefer using WASD when exploring. Using the mouse feels like an RTS instead of an RPG. Seems I'm a "omnipresent authority figure " like Jaheira says, ordering the characters to go someplace instead of actually being the protagonist of the story.

I can't ask indie devs to spend precious resources sharpening animations and details to make this kind of camera work, but since we are talking about Larian and Baldur's Gate 3, I would love to see it again.

Top Bottom