• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Will Officially Leave Early Access and Be Released in 2023

Airbus Jr

Banned
Larian Studios has revealed that Baldur's Gate 3 will officially leave early access and be released in 2023.

Larian shared the news during 2022's D&D Direct in a dev diary that was focused on "the journey so far." While it features some glimpses of the game, a tiefling cosplay, and a doctor who may or may not be a doctor, the big news from the video was the confirmation that Baldur's Gate 3 will not make it out of early access in 2022 and will instead officially be released in 2023.

"By the Nine Hells, we've added a lot of great stuff already, and there's more where that came from," Larian said. "So, join us in early access on our journey to Baldur's Gate 3, or come along in 2023 when the game releases."

In February, Larian Studios' head Swen Vincke said that 2022 would be the last full year of development, but he left some wriggle room as to if there was a chance it could make it before our calendars moved to 2023. Now, the chance of a 2022 release is no more.

The Early Access version of Baldur's Gate 3 was released in October 2020 and featured a wealth of content. In our Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access review, we said that it "already has exciting turn-based combat and some genuine storytelling greatness, but it might be worth waiting to enjoy the full thing with fresh eyes."

Mister Wolf

I like Baldurs Gate 1&2 a lot but I don't like Divinity 1&2 so I am a little worried about this game.

I didn't like either Divinities like you, but I loved what I played of BG3 early access. Its so good I had to stop myself from playing it for fear of getting burned out before the
game actually releases.

anthraticus

Banned
Yea, not a fan of Divinity's goofy tone, crappy itemization and character systems at all, despite really liking the turn based combat engine.

So we'll have to see as I'm far from.sold on them. Plus they've become pretty big and you know with that also comes with trying to appeal to more normies. Wouldn't be surprised if it's like critical role...the game.

Eq51yYM.jpg

Tbh, looking more forward to stuff like upcoming Knights of the Chalice 2 modules, Colony Ship, Call of Saregnar, Monomyth , Underrail: Infusion..

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I couldn't see it when glancing across the different sources, but did they mention releasing across multiple systems or just leaving EA on PC? I didn't want to try it before the full product releases and am interested if I'll be waiting a bit longer to play it on console.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
been wanting to play this but have held off due to early access. what kind of state is the game in? is the full game playable start to finish or only got so much content with more coming later?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey so for thode that have played the EA version... How's the writting?

Also, is it playable in real time with pause? Or only turn based?

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Fucking degenerates.

The ugly truth is that the cRPGs weren't dumbed down by wanting to appeal to the widest audience possible but by these more recent generations of "nerds" themselves who didn't want gameplay intruding into their pathetic love life fantasies.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Fucking degenerates.

The ugly truth is that the cRPGs weren't dumbed down by wanting to appeal to the widest audience possible but by these more recent generations of "nerds" themselves who didn't want gameplay intruding into their pathetic love life fantasies.
lol, what a post.

Have you played something like wrath of the righteous at all? that shit is deeper than your mom - and absolutely crushing difficulty wise even if you know what you are doing with the ruleset.

anthraticus

Banned
lol, what a post.

Have you played something like wrath of the righteous at all? that shit is deeper than your mom - and absolutely crushing difficulty wise even if you know what you are doing with the ruleset.
Not bad mechanics wise, but with the Cuckfinder games you still gotta deal with some sjw horseshit though.

Jennings

2023 is set to be a hell of a year. It's going to be difficult to play all the good stuff in time to vote for the 2023 GOTY in 2024.

WitchHunter

Larian Studios has revealed that Baldur's Gate 3 will officially leave early access and be released in 2023.

Larian shared the news during 2022's D&D Direct in a dev diary that was focused on "the journey so far." While it features some glimpses of the game, a tiefling cosplay, and a doctor who may or may not be a doctor, the big news from the video was the confirmation that Baldur's Gate 3 will not make it out of early access in 2022 and will instead officially be released in 2023.

"By the Nine Hells, we've added a lot of great stuff already, and there's more where that came from," Larian said. "So, join us in early access on our journey to Baldur's Gate 3, or come along in 2023 when the game releases."

In February, Larian Studios' head Swen Vincke said that 2022 would be the last full year of development, but he left some wriggle room as to if there was a chance it could make it before our calendars moved to 2023. Now, the chance of a 2022 release is no more.

The Early Access version of Baldur's Gate 3 was released in October 2020 and featured a wealth of content. In our Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access review, we said that it "already has exciting turn-based combat and some genuine storytelling greatness, but it might be worth waiting to enjoy the full thing with fresh eyes."

I'm wondering about how exhausted and disillusioned will be those ppl, who already played the first chapter 657 times and will play it 500 more times until it releases.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Baldur's Gate III, like Dungeons & Dragons, is a game meant to evoke player freedom. But somewhere early in its making, a small decision was made that collided with that basic principle, and sent its development into a cascading spiral of problems.

At the heart of an unforgettable Dungeons & Dragons campaign is a great dungeon master. It's their responsibility to guide the player on an adventure and make sure the world reacts to their actions in a way that feels natural and unplanned.

For developer Larian Studios, to capture that D&D essence in Baldur's Gate 3, it has to evoke that same sense of freedom and role playing. It's collaborative storytelling between the player and the story. Every choice, action, reaction, and consequence has to feel like it really matters, no matter how big or small.

But somewhere early in the making of Baldur's Gate 3, the game's dungeon master, Swen Vincke, made a small decision that sent its development into a cascading spiral of problems that has been a big challenge to solve. And all it involved was getting the player to acquire one very specific item: the Mysterious Artefact and it belongs to a character named Shadowheart. In an effort to get the player to receive this item as elegantly and naturally as possible, as though it was their own decision, has resulted in creating 100s of possibilities that plagued the game's development.

This is the story of how the Mysterious Artefact broke Baldur's Gate 3.

Top Bottom