• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 hits Steam Early Access in August

ZZZZ

As a divinity fan who also played the baldur's games back in the day, this looks like some divinity-ass divinity to me. And I couldn't be happier.

It's their engine, it's turn-based combat, gameplay hud during exploration looks similar too. They even got pet pal.

Try this one. It looks incredibly similar.

Obviously running on mostly the same tech, but also very similar art style and lighting as well as similar interface elements and gameplay.

I love Divinity: Original Sin 2, so I'm excited, but it just doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate.

You are looking at story segments here, not really any gameplay.
When the game is in top down view, or when you look at certain designs it is very reminiscent of Divinity Original Sin 2.

Isn't that what's important? Sure i loved the combat in both BG games and Divinity games, but the lore, characters, world was what made the games great to me.
When it comes to world building, the way you interact with characters, the world around you and quests, it looks so different from the Divinity games.
I do see the similarity in Hud, Combat and CC, but i see a big change everywhere else.

Who knows maybe when i play the EA i'll be wrong and the game is a reskin of Divinity 2.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Isn't that what's important? Sure i loved the combat in both BG games and Divinity games, but the lore, characters, world was what made the games great to me.
When it comes to world building, the way you interact with characters, the world around you and quests, it looks so different from the Divinity games.
I do see the similarity in Hud, Combat and CC, but i see a big change everywhere else.

Who knows maybe when i play the EA i'll be wrong and the game is a reskin of Divinity 2.
I also dont think its a problem. Divinity 2 played well and if this game has a good story and feels like “coming home”, i see no issue with the similarities. Plus, i wouldnt be too sure if Larian isnt still planning to change the UI elements.

Tschumi

I'm confused, why do people say BG3 is a reskin of Divinity 2?

This looks nothing like Divinity.

Try this one. It looks incredibly similar.

Obviously running on mostly the same tech, but also very similar art style and lighting as well as similar interface elements and gameplay.

I love Divinity: Original Sin 2, so I'm excited, but it just doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate.

for the record, i really like divinity 2, and one day i want to complete it. i'm just saying, it's a different game to BG and i think they're being extremely ballsy to buy out "arguably the most precious IP in WRPGs" then straight up refuse to make a faithful sequel to it. I know there are a million counter arguments - just my opinion.

ps. anyone who watched the BG3 reveal and didn't immediately think "wow, this is reskinned divinity 2, i guess it's early days and they'll make it more unique in time"... i dunno, anyone who says that is either being dishonest or hasn't... got the best sample group for what constitutes a divinity game vs a BG game

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr_Salt

Where is the guy that said ME3 on ps3 looks better than this game? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

5ith4j9qash51.jpg

Kenpachii

Its a divinity 2 reskin, everybody knew this dunno why people are shocked by this. Also people caring for the graphics in this title really are not the target audience.

This game is all about the chess like playstyle in a fantasy world with awesome dialogue and co-op experience.

The only thing i am worried about is the endless diarrea of bugs that divinity 2 also had for ages. And this won't be different it seems.

Last edited:

Belmonte

This seems like an odd choice for the Early Access model...

I also thought it was strange. "Why would someone "spoil" his/her first experience with a story heavy game?" I asked myself. But surprisingly this is one of the best genres to make Early Access if the dev wants to get good and informed feedback.

There are many pen and paper RPG enthusiasts who are very serious about helping the devs emulate the pen and paper experience in digital format. Some dudes put a massive amount of hours on it. More than most players will spend in the final game.

luffie

Saying BG3 is a reskin of DOS2 is like saying Sekiro is a reskin of dark souls.

The way dnd combat system works and with the new features included in BG3 (check stream), we know it's going to play differently, even if there are some similarities.

Nickolaidas

Also - being compared to Divinity 2 is an insanely high compliment so not sure why people are using it as a negative.
It's the hardcore fans of the battle system of the original baldur's gate games doing this, no one else.

You know, like those ff7 remake haters who think the game sucks because it's not turned based. Same thing, but ironically the exact opposite as well.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

vpance

It's live, anyone jumping in?

DIdn't really click with DOS so I'm interested to see how this differs.

Top Bottom