• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 hits Steam Early Access in August

Bullet Club

Get ready to venture forth. Baldur's Gate 3 is planned for an August 2020 Early Access launch on Steam and Stadia.

Almost exactly one year after we originally announced Baldur's Gate 3 and months after our World Gameplay Reveal at PAX East earlier this year, here we are with a new trailer to help showcase the tone of the game and get you pumped up for the road to Early Access.

Join us for a live gameplay session on the road to Baldur’s Gate. Roll with us, June 18, on twitch.tv/dnd/

Mista

Banned

Baldur’s Gate III will launch for PC in early access in August—“maybe”—developer Larian Studios announced.

In a developer message, the developer said the “maybe” has everything to do with the impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. But all in all, the studio believes it is on track to meet that launch window.

Larian Studios will host a new gameplay live stream on June 18.

Last edited:

TheMan

I completely forgot this was a thing. I'll be there day!

But Speaking of CRPG, anyone excited for The Waylanders? It's made by some ex-staff from Bioware and Telltale, plus Chris Avellone

Lanrutcon

Oooooh.

It's going to be a battle! PF: Wrath of the Righteous vs Baldur's Gate 3.

The one has the popular IP and the other one Teh Hardcore.

Obviously, proper gentlemen will play both.

Last edited:

Metnut

I’m not really familiar with early access. How long after early access will we usually see a full release? Is a 2020 release possible?

Are early access games usually buggy/missing features such that I’m better off waiting for fill release?

johntown

Banned
My only concern is some bug that halts the progress of the main story. I want to get it early access but I will probably wait a month or two to see how stable it is first.

Siri

Banned
The tone of the game needs to be much less goofy. Your rogue, for example, when entering stealth mode, should become less visible - not suddenly turn into a boulder that moves.

Lanrutcon

That looked muuuuuuuuch better than the initial gameplay reveal.

I'm happy....as long as I can put helmets on the stupid hairstyles. No party member of mine is going to sport that half comb hippy bullshit.

Maybe I missed it, but do we know when in August? Always hate it when developers pull the bullshit "out in month xyz" and the day is the very last fucking day of the month. Lol

anab0lic36

Something about Larian studious artstyle just doesn't do it for me. I think its a combination of the colour palate and their character designs, that just are not aesthetically pleasing to me. This isn't really the 3d imagining of what the first two games gave us . BG2 is one of my all time fave RPG's, so I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen thus far.

Lanrutcon

Something about Larian studious artstyle just doesn't do it for me. I think its a combination of the colour palate and their character designs, that just are not aesthetically pleasing to me. This isn't really the 3d imagining of what the first two games gave us . BG2 is one of my all time fave RPG's, so I'm pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen thus far.

BG wasn't really a looker. The rendered backgrounds were sometimes awesome, but most of the time just pretty drab due to the limitations of the time. The spritework didn't stand the test of time either. NwN tried doing 3D and both those games were ugly as hell. Have you given Pathfinder: Kingmaker a look? I think that's probably more what you're talking about, but still not the ideal representation of BG's aesthetic in 3D. I think Larian purposefully went with the art style they've come to be known for. I think their artists are talented enough that they could have gone for something different had they chosen to.

nikolino840

I have a question...larian said that the game is heavy hardware demanding (or something like that) but..how much heavy?
The first divinity remaster working good on my PC, i don't have the second one...is different?

For example i have to play gears tactic at low set...is like that?
Gears is with gamepass but baldur's gate i have to buy it

420bits

I have a question...larian said that the game is heavy hardware demanding (or something like that) but..how much heavy?
The first divinity remaster working good on my PC, i don't have the second one...is different?

For example i have to play gears tactic at low set...is like that?
Gears is with gamepass but baldur's gate i have to buy it

Divinity is what, 6 years old? Kinda hard to say since we don't know what specs are required.
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/baldur-s-gate-3/18813 no official words, just speculation based on Divnity 2.

I would assume that BG3 is closer to Gears Tactics than it is to Divinity original sin and if you got an old PC its probably playable but you will have to use low / medium settings.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-launch-wont-happen-in-august/

Not coming in August but they say it's "just around the corner." My just around the corner from August is September but I have a funny feeling Larian's just around the corner is Novermber.

We'll know more on August 18th.

Countdown
Good luck competing with huge games if they'll delay this to October/November. August was actually a good month for a release like this, because only Wasteland 3 is coming out at the end of August and that game has a small(er) fanbase than Larian games.

Lanrutcon

I don't know if "compete" is the right word. The space that BG3 competes in is incredibly underpopulated. There are some indies coming, but it's basically BG3 vs PF: WotR (and between those, BG3 will be the most accessible to the masses plus have brand recognition).

Good luck competing with huge games if they'll delay this to October/November. August was actually a good month for a release like this, because only Wasteland 3 is coming out at the end of August and that game has a small(er) fanbase than Larian games.

Hey if they want to put it out in september I'd be all about that. I just don't think it will be that soon, but they're promising that it's kinda soon.

The sooner we get divinity's gate the better imo

How the fuck an RPG can be on Early Access?

They say they are gonna explain their early access content and philosophy at the live show, but it will probably work similar to Larian's previous game, Divinity Original Sin 2.

That game started you in a huge playable area that was a Prison Island called "Fort Joy." There was a ton of content there that took around 15-20 hours by some estimates but it was also very replayable with different classes to try or variations in quests.

Once you finish Fort Joy after a large boss battle you set sail off the island and begin Act 2. So all of Act 1 on Fort Joy was the early access portion of Divinity 2.

I don't think people were able to carry their save file over from Early Access to the retail release of that game, but I may be mistaken.

I hope it's good.

I've been a fan of AD&D since 1st edition and quickly got into 2nd edition not long after that.

For video gaming, I had the first two Forgotten Realms Gold Box games by SSI on the Commodore 64 and the first two Krynn games by SSI on the C64 as well.

Fond memories.

I have them all now courtesy of GOG.

The games are dated by today's standards but you don't know how nostalgic and how much they meant to me.

D&D has been a big deal in my life.

I hope Baldur's Gate 3 carries on that tradition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom