• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate 3 - Are you interested?

Are you interested in BG3?

• Yes, I'll play at or around release

Votes: 77 36.0%
  • Yes, I'll check it out at some point in the future

Votes: 85 39.7%
  • No, I'm not interested at all

Votes: 39 18.2%
  • Yes, I've already been playing the early access build

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters

Handel

It is my most anticipated game of the year, and very likely the one I'll sink the most hours into. Will play it both solo and coop. Will be hard for much else to divert my attention once BG3 hits, even Starfield will have to wait a couple months before getting some of my precious time.

Neilg

I've never played a crpg on console - the last few years with working from home, I've basically stopped gaming on PC and that's means an entire genre took a step back. I did get disco Elysium and divinity 2 in before I threw in the towel though.

I'm in. Not sure what to expect playing it on the sofa but I heard good things about div2 with a controller and assume they have a great team on making it feel good.

Last edited:

Metnut

Played divinity 2 on my computer and really liked the game. My laptop only has a 1070 though and I’m not sure it’s really going to be enough to handle this game.

I do have a PS5 and primarily game on that. Feel like thought that this would be a really weird game to play on a console. Did anyone here play Divinity 2 on a console and can talk about the experience?

Guilty_AI

Played divinity 2 on my computer and really liked the game. My laptop only has a 1070 though and I’m not sure it’s really going to be enough to handle this game.
It should be able to handle it with higher settings at locked 30 fps.

I do have a PS5 and primarily game on that. Feel like thought that this would be a really weird game to play on a console. Did anyone here play Divinity 2 on a console and can talk about the experience?
Didn't play on console but did play it with a controller once and... its not very confortable. K&M is really a must for this kind of game after all.

It's worse. These games are really suited to mouse and keyboard. Still playable though if that is your only option

Lasha

I'm waiting for release to see how the system panned out. I didn't like the constant surface effects of the developers previous titles.

GenericUser

Divinity games are poorly balanced, have an unfunny humor and lackluster storytelling. Larian is severely overrated on my opinion. I don't think they will be able to produce a Baldurs gate game that feels like a Baldurs gate game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What I've played (around 2 hours) of EA build was more than enough to buy the full game. If they won't delay it again, I'll pre-order 1 day before release.

niilokin

if it's got the same level of attention to detail like in early access, the game will be absolutely fucking deeeeep and huge

Played on xbox. Seamless experience.

They have mapped stats, inventory etc to radial menus that you open with trigger buttons.

I didn't thought it was better or worse than pc experience. Played part 1 on PC.

Pimpollo818

After this prolonged early access? If release isn't as close to flawless as possible, I'll be pretty disappointed
I don't mean to curb your enthusiasm but I'm sure the EA only covers a fraction of the game. So surely, there will be large chunks of the game that can't possibly have the same amount of polish.

I've always found it to be good practice to wait for not just the "complete" editions to release, but for mods to release as well that polish the core experience. That's how I experienced Witcher 3 and what I'll eventually do with Cyberpunk.

I can't imagine having played Witcher 3 without the fast travel anywhere or the overpowered Roach mods where he doesn't get interrupted by terrain.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
I don't mean to curb your enthusiasm but I'm sure the EA only covers a fraction of the game. So surely, there will be large chunks of the game that can't possibly have the same amount of polish.
I understand the polish that comes with definitive editions.
side note: I really think larian should reconsider their faux-kickstarter model of development.
They aren't struggling to survive anymore and a lot of people would prefer the game came out all at once.

I get that they implement feedback into their games very deeply, but this has some serious downsides too

there was a time when you couldn't've kept me away. but that was long, long ago, way back in the previous century...
What happened to change that?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really dislike the D&D universe, but I'll check this out if it's a good RPG. I thought the original two were okay, so hopefully this one is just as good.

kicker

Banned
This might be a hot take but here we go.

Already bought it and played the early access for 8 hours.

To be completely honest, my hype for the game has deflated a lot after playing it. I'll still definitely play the full version, and I still expect it to be a good game, but back when I heard it was turn based I thought it was going to be divinity's gate 3 and it was my most anticipated game of the year, even in an insanely stacked year like this. Now I've played it, it feels a lot more like a turn based version of the Baldur's gate series (which is what it should be I suppose) than a divinity game.

To be clear: I don't find the DnD combat or leveling system anywhere near as exciting and rich as divinity. The DnD rules designed for group tabletop sessions don't translate as well into a videogame as a system designed with the intent of being a videogame from the getgo imo. Level ups come so slow and their gains are so modest, abilities with really average benefits still have a good chance to fail, and enhancements from finding new weapons and gear feel incremental.

This is all coming from a guy who never played DnD. My only experience with it is Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment (all good games) along with every tv show that decided to do 1 episode where all the characters play a DnD game. The IT Crowd did it best btw.

So keep that in mind and if you like DnD mechanics you probably shouldn't be worried. But I would describe Divinity Original's Sin 2's battle system as one of the best in all of gaming, and Baldur's Gate 3, at least in the early stage, I would describe as alright. On the positive side, Larian seem to be doing a better job with characters, story and interesting dialogue choices so people looking forward to those aspects of the game should be excited. But for my part, when I thought this game would be stealth divinity 3 in a baldur's gate skinsuit I was over the moon and more hyped for it than all the other big games coming out this year. At this stage I still think it will be a good game, I don't expect to be replaying the game many times the way I do with divinity unless things really change with the battle system at higher levels or something.
It looks like it might be heavily moddable though. Maybe enough to rebalance the whole thing

I always wondered why the DOS 2 campaign maker thingy never took off. It seemed really capable.

Catphish

It's pretty much the only game I'm really looking forward to right now. Well, maybe this and ARC Raiders.

I'm fucking starved for a high-quality, party-based, turn-based RPG. Can't wait.

⚔️🛡️🪄🏹

amigastar

Hope to finish Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous before bg3 release.
I'm planning to start Pathfinder:WotR after my Pillars of Eternity 2 playthrough. How is it. I've heard the writing and characters are really bad. Do you feel that way?

Last edited:

Sanepar

I'm planning to start Pathfinder:WotR after my Pillars of Eternity 2 playthrough. How is it. I've heard the writing and characters are really bad. Do you feel that way?
I'm not enjoying too much. Tbh i'm thinking about to drop. The plot is really meh. Game has 100 hours. I don't think i can stay on that for 100 hours. Chars are not impressive at all. It doesn't come close of Larian games quality.

amigastar

I'm not enjoying too much. Tbh i'm thinking about to drop. The plot is really meh. Game has 100 hours. I don't think i can stay on that for 100 hours. Chars are not impressive at all. It doesn't come close of Larian games quality.
Hmm, too bad. Thx for the impressions. I think i will try it nonetheless.

While I wasn't a big fan of some of the party members, i thought the writing overall was pretty solid. Some characters, looking at you Reg, were really well written and voice acted too boot.
An amazing game overall, and one of my favorite rpgs outside of the old infinity Engine

Man, I disagree totally. While I enjoyed the Larian titles, OS2 in particular, I found the Pathfinder games to be much better. Especially when it came to evoking memories of the original Baldur's Gate games.

kicker

Banned
Not really. I want to play them as they are supposed to be played or not at all.

Since writing that post I’ve pondered this and I believe I simply don’t like party RPGs.
That's fair.

I was thinking about starting a thread where people offer suggestions for others trying to get into certain genres.
I ended up letting it go since sometimes certain genres just aren't for some people

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Shadows of Amn is on my pantheon of games and a lot of that has to do with the writing. I'm not terribly found of Larian Studios' games as they just don't click with me and in part because of the writing. I'll keep an eye on BG3 but I can't say I'm anywhere near excited because of those factors.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

sleipnir

Neo Member
Don't know... I never played D&D and I've never played an RGP like this really. I like fantasy settings, and love Witcher3, Skyrim, AC style games, but this seems far more complex, and slow [maybe?] less direct action?... I fear it may be a bit too much for me, and I'm not sure about the mostly top down type camera. I've watched a fair bit of media on the game, and look forward to reviews and more gameplay showing different parts of the world. I may just jump in on the PS5, but perhaps when it's a bit cheaper.

Chukhopops

I want to play it but realistically I can’t fit it between Zelda and Starfield so it’ll be added to my ever-expanding CRPG backlog.

I have no doubt it will be really good although I don’t think it will have the same tone as BG2, considering previous Larian games.

Labadal

I intend to get it at some point, absolutely. If it's not a technical during its launch period, I'll get it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

It seems to be the most ambitious crpg, and will probably be for a while.

Discussion around here tends to lean towards consoles and console gaming. Divinity Original Sin 2 proved that crpgs can be succesful on consoles, but I think it's still a hard sell to console gamers, especially this year

The most recent trailer, which doesn't do a good job selling the game as it will be, in my opinion

Are you interested?

Heck yes. I stopped playing the early access because it was so good and I didn't want to wear myself out.

Top Bottom