• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 and Divinity Developer Larian Studios Announce New Studio in Larian Barcelona

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The makers of Baldur’s Gate 3 and Divinity welcome a new addition to their family, as developer Larian Studios announce a new studio in Larian Barcelona — whose members consist of workers from BlitWorks.

Here’s the PR announcement from Larian Studios announcing their new partnership and deal — which also allows BlitWorks to still work independently as a publisher as well.

The new Spanish studio consists of the former engineering team of BlitWorks, a video game developer known for its console and mobile ports of acclaimed games such as Super Meat Boy, They Are Billions, FEZ, Spelunky, Bastion, Sonic CD and Don’t Starve – not to mention Larian’s own Divinity: Original Sin 2, which the team helped bring to life on Nintendo Switch in 2019.

Under this deal, Larian acquired the developer’s entire dev team while BlitWorks itself will continue working independently as a publisher.

“BlitWorks’ story with Larian goes way back. After porting most of the best indie games to console, we were challenged to port Divinity: Original Sin 2 to Nintendo Switch and without knowing, that was the start of a long-lasting relationship,” said BlitWorks co-founder Tony Cabello. “No need to say fitting DOS2 on Nintendo Switch was one of the most difficult projects we’ve ever done, but working with Larian was simple and straightforward, we felt at home.”

“In the end, we could deliver a port of the ‘utmost quality’, as initially required, and what we also require ourselves on every project we work on,” Cabello added. “After that, things flowed naturally and we can only say we’re excited to finally put all our focus exclusively on Larian’s projects moving forward, and help build Larian Barcelona!”

Larian Barcelona is now the 7th studio under the Larian umbrella, joining teams in Ghent, Dublin, Quebec, Saint Petersburg, and recently announced offices in Guildford and Kuala Lumpur.

“The team at BlitWorks is one of the hidden gems of our industry. They have been nothing but excellent, have consistently delivered high quality, and share a deep passion for games. They’re a natural fit. I’m therefore doubly happy today. A place by the beach that features actual sun and a significant boost to our capacity,” adds Larian Studios founder, Swen Vincke.

Labadal

Man, they seem to be going all out. I hope for them that they do well. One poorly selling title and it could all collapse. I wish them the best, and I can't wait to play Baldur's Gate III.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Patrick Stewart Reaction GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
hows buldar gate 3 doing these days

TLDR: they're rocking things

Long answer: Still building and improving leaps and bounds each major patch. It's kind of shocking watching a developer actually listen to their customers while engaging them like humans, taking the good with the bad. The game is already 10 times better on a fundamental mechanics level than it was at "release", and it hasn't even left early access yet. In addition each patch includes a lot of improvements for general assets, how fleshed out NPC's are, and corrects terrain issues. It's by far the most swiftly moving development I have ever seen with an early access game.

Top Bottom