• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balan Wonderworld demo launches January 28

Mista

Banned
Balan-Wonderworld-Demo_01-19-21.jpg

Publisher Square Enix and developer Arzest will release a demo for Balan Wonderworld for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam on January 28 worldwide, the companies announced.

The demo will feature Acts 1 and 2 of Chapter 1, Act 1 of Chapter 4, and Act 1 of Chapter 6, as well as access to the Isle of Tims, the hub area where you can also raise mysterious creatures called Tims. The demo also supports two-person local multiplayer.

Here is an overview of the demo, via Square Enix:
Two players can explore the game as the stars of the show Leo and Emma in local co-op mode, combining abilities from different costumes to access new paths that are unavailable in solo play! Simply connect a second controller and push any button on it to activate co-op mode. Using a range of costume abilities, players will be able to collect Balan Statues in each stage as well as access the hidden Balan’s Bout mini-games. The demo will feature three of Balan Wonderworld‘s twelve magical worlds:

World 1 – The Man Who Rages Against the Storm

• Playable Areas: Act 1, Act 2, Boss Battle
World One is set in a beautiful farm, made up of rolling hills and giant crops. This mysterious world is woven from the memories inside Jose Gallard’s heart, a farmer whose beautiful cornfield is struck by a storm. The boss lurking in the depths of Jose’s world is Barktholomew, the embodiment of Jose’s despair after seeing his cornfield being destroyed.

Make use of a range of costumes to successfully complete this level, including the Jumping Jack costume that allows players to jump to places they just can’t quite reach and the Dainty Dragon costume that uses its fiery breath to clear obstacles in its path!

World 4 – The Boy Who Would be One with the Wind

• Playable Areas: Act 1
World Four takes place in a fantastical setting born from the heart of Chang Haoyu and his love of the open sky, where bicycle parts and floating islands of all sizes are scattered through the sky.

Costumes in this world that could come in handy include the Soaring Sheep costume that can float away by puffing up its fluffy fleece, and the Aero Acrobat costume that can soar through the sky and aim kicks at balloons and enemies!

World 6 – The Girl and the Kitten

• Playable Areas: Act 1
World Six follows the story of Cass Milligan, depicting the town where she meets a cute kitten. In this magical world built from Cass Milligan’s fond memories, candy pieces and books float in the air and there are mysterious buildings full of moving gears.

Costumes that will help players solve mysteries and perform powerful attacks include the Gear Prince costume that can spin switches with the gear on its stomach to operate machinery, and the Pumpkin Puncher costume that can shoot a rocket punch!

Isle of Tims

Players will also be granted access to the Isle of Tims—a base area and gateway to the three mysterious worlds. Here, players will meet the magical creatures called Tims; whose powerful abilities can help Leo and Emma as they explore each world and battle Negati! On the Isle of Tims, players can also harvest magical droplets from the colorful flower patches found around the island. These droplets can be fed to Tims in order to evolve their abilities.
Gematsu

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This one's not on my radar but I've seen some people mention this game several times on this forum, so I guess I'll try it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Naka never seems to have escaped his 90s/early 00s design philosophy. Like this and the Wii version of (not the Wii U mess he wasn't involved in) Rodea the Sky Soldier are games you'd expect to see on the Dreamcast.

It's refreshing and cute but he also never gets big budgets, this looks a bit stiff and meh at its most basic, I do hope the core controls feel good enough so the weirdness shines through in a quality fun and quirky way too.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Very interested In this, it's crazy I was looking at my wishlist yesterday and was thinking March is a way away to wait for this.

And now demo, the gaming gods have spoken 🙏

rkofan87

Gold Member
darn a demo but i just preorder i hope its good and i know what gaff is going to say do not pre order games.
btw i have p5s and ys9 on preorder as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same release date as Monster Hunter Rise? this is a top tier level suicidal decision.
I’m getting both, but this is why I won’t be picking up Returner.

Also Balan is multiplatform game while Rise is Switch exclusive, I don’t think it’s that much of a risk.

I’m getting both, but this is why I won’t be picking up Returner.

Also Balan is multiplatform game while Rise is Switch exclusive, I don’t think it’s that much of a risk.
This kind of game sells really well on Nintendo Switch but it's definitely going to under perform on Switch by releasing it on the same date as the most anticipated 3rd party game to date on Switch.

Nice, will DL. They need the exposure, specially on Nintendo Switch. The slice better be polished tho... strong first impressions etc.

Nakasan

I have my tattoo picked out, I know where I'm getting it, and have the money already saved to perfectly compliment my only other tattoo, that being of NiGHTS.

At 36 I know by now that life doesn't work out as you'd hope or expect it to - but please Balan. Please be as good as I'm hoping. I don't care (so much) if it sells poorly and doesn't get the kudos it deserves... But Naka and Ohshima my boys... Bring it home.

SpiceRacz

I have my tattoo picked out, I know where I'm getting it, and have the money already saved to perfectly compliment my only other tattoo, that being of NiGHTS.

At 36 I know by now that life doesn't work out as you'd hope or expect it to - but please Balan. Please be as good as I'm hoping. I don't care (so much) if it sells poorly and doesn't get the kudos it deserves... But Naka and Ohshima my boys... Bring it home.

Please share this tattoo with us.

Carna

Banned
Eagerly awaiting the demo, Naka and Sonic Team defined my childhood as a gamer, other than just Sonic, (PSO, Nights, and the unorthodox monster collector platformer, Billy Hatcher)

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Looks like a mixture of NiGHTS, Mario Odyssey and Billy Hatcher.

I'm gonna wait to feel how it plays, but visually I'm sold.

Hestar69

The demo runs and looks AWFUL on the xbox (old gen one) for me. Framerate drops,freezing and looks blurry as hell. SIXTY DOLLARS for this! IS SQUARE OUT OF THEIR FUCKING MIND!

Komatsu

Still can't get over the fact that Yuji Naka now works for SQUARE ENIX. If you were to tell me in 1996 that SEGA's hot shot, "I need a Ferrari or I'm quitting" lead producer was going to jump ship... I would not believe you.

Top Bottom