• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad games with great Soundtracks

sublimit

Banned
I was listening to a list of video game music on my phone today and a song started playing that blew me away with how epic and atmospheric it was. I didn't remember where it was from but it made me imagine the most intriguing and epic game ever. Then i checked to see where it was from and it was a song from TES Oblivion. Then i remembered how shitty the game was and my fantasy was ruined.Same goes for Skyrim. Terrible game but great soundtrack.

Another one that comes to mind is FFXIII. I remember hating everything about that game except the music and environments. (Although lately i have been thinking to give the entire trilogy another chance.)

Any other games that come to mind?

Gifmaker

Disaster: Day of Crisis and The Conduit on Wii come to mind. Great music, but mostly average games.

Skyrim and Oblivion are terrible games?

Spider Man Lol GIF

sublimit

Banned
"Games I didn't like with great soundtracks" is what the title should be.
It goes without saying that in a forum everyone is expressing his/her own opinion/tastes. There's no objective metric about quality on these kinds of things (and no metacritic or sales are irrelevant too) .

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
It goes without saying that in a forum everyone is expressing his/her own opinion/tastes. There's no objective metric about quality on these kinds of things (and no metacritic or sales are irrelevant too) .
Fair enough. It's just that making a thread about "bad games" and having Oblivion and Skyrim as the first examples seemed a bit trollish.

nkarafo

Goemon's Adventure on the N64 is a very average game that has the best and biggest soundtrack on the platform IMO.

Chukhopops

I found FFVIIR gameplay to be dull and brain dead but I regularly listen to the OST. It’s crazy to think there have been tons of orchestral interpretations of the original soundtrack for 20 years and yet they managed to top it all in the remake.

sublimit

Banned
Fair enough. It's just that making a thread about "bad games" and having Oblivion and Skyrim as the first examples seemed a bit trollish.
To me it isn't. I have played both and i thought the controls and combat were terrible.Oblivion was downright unplayable back when i played it on PS3.I'm sure on PC it would have been better but the basic gameplay would have been the same. The music though is some of the best video game music ever written IMO. Especially Oblivion's.

sublimit

Banned
I found FFVIIR gameplay to be dull and brain dead but I regularly listen to the OST. It’s crazy to think there have been tons of orchestral interpretations of the original soundtrack for 20 years and yet they managed to top it all in the remake.
I agree. I think that was due to Hamauzu's awesome contributions to those tracks. That guy is a genious and deserves to work on a great FF for once.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Any bad Castlevania game (such as CV The Adventure, which I like but is objectively below average to be generous) still has great music. Actually, this (having great music, I mean) is probably true of any Konami game.

Last edited:

stranno

I love it, but according to the press it was not a good game (oh well). OST overall is great, but the whistled homage to Ennio Morricone is off the charts, one of the very few whistled tracks I have ever heard in a videogame.

emivita

Lol at these "bad" games. Beat this one:

And this was the fucking main theme of the game:

And FFS, FFXIII is not a bad game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Tales of Legendia. Bottom tier Tales game with maybe the best soundtrack in the series.

Also Vay (Sega CD) was mediocre in every way but it did have a couple bangers on the soundtrack. The boss battle tunes especially:

^ that one sounds like it belongs in Streets of Rage

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
What I liked is that FINALLY a JRPG remixes its battle theme depending on the scene. Can't believe we still have to endure the exact same battle theme during all the game for most.

they are

here's another one:

I think we're beginning to hit a point where we confuse an actual terrible game, and a game that just isn't for you.

Ride to Hell: Retribution is a terrible game.

Balan Wonderland (or whatever its called) is a terrible game.

Mighty No.9 is a terrible game.

Skyrim, Oblivion, and Nier Automata are subjectively good and/or bad games based on your taste.

Perfectly fine to dislike, or look upon with disdain on a personal level, but passing off the mentioned games as flat out terrible for everyone is absolute asinine of a perspective to take.

Not going to say anything that hasn't been hundreds of times but yeah, FFXIII's soundtrack is baller. I never finished the game but what I played I didnt like much, but I still have the battle theme stuck in my head from time to time.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I haven't actually played the game, but I have the CD soundtrack for Valkyria Revolution. The soundtrack is great, maybe one day I'll try the game

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Syndicate reboot from EA.

They had a real mix of music, but the gunfight in the Night Club with Hatsune Miku blasting in the background the entire time was a memorable moment for me. The rest of it fitting with the corporate culture future was incredibly well done and I always remembered how otherwise mundane action scenes had me excited largely down to the music used.

Last edited:

MakarelBoi

Neo Member
Majority of the Sonic games and particularly FFXIII trilogy. Also OP, you have a shitty taste to say Oblivion and Skyrim is a bad games

Last edited:
Top Bottom