• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Control Performance on new PC

Hi There,

I'm going through my library on my new RTX 3090 build and the one game so far that runs badly is Control. I'm only getting around 45fps at 4K on my 10900K RTX 3090 build, which seems low. Strangely when I lower the resolution I'm not seeing a big performance gain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Strangely lowering it to 1080p only yields 20fps boost. Is this game that badly coded?

Yes. I would not take Control as a good benchmarking game. It's the same engine that was used for Quantum Break which ran like absolute shit, and even if you run it today, it still runs like shit.

Control, 4k, with raytracing is about right, in the 40's. It runs good at 4k everything maxed. But adding raytracing at high to that is too much. Try dlss.

Yes. I would not take Control as a good benchmarking game. It's the same engine that was used for Quantum Break which ran like absolute shit, and even if you run it today, it still runs like shit.
That makes sense. Every other game is running like an absolute dream on the new setup. I was just wondering if there was something I'm missing.

Banned
Nvidia expects the 3090 to reach 57FPS at 8K DLSS (1440p internal res) in that game.

I think that should explain your framerate.

use DLSS quality mode, looks better than native and will run better

Last edited:

acm2000

its not badly coded, Controls use of ray tracing cripples hardware since it uses ray traced reflections, transparent reflections, indirect diffused lighting, contact shadows, and debris far beyond what next gen consoles will give us.

Looks stunning tho.

Last edited:
its not badly coded, Controls use of ray tracing cripples hardware since it uses ray traced reflections, transparent reflections, indirect diffused lighting, contact shadows, and debris far beyond what next gen consoles will give us.

Looks stunning tho.
On Ampere hardware, RT shouldn't yield nearly as much of an impact performance as the 2000 series cards, yet it still does. I'm still going with badly coded.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That makes sense. Every other game is running like an absolute dream on the new setup. I was just wondering if there was something I'm missing.

Northlight is basically an engine from the future.
Even QB without Raytracing at 4K will still run at around 70fps on a 3090.
Considering its an early Xbox One title Remedy were clearly thinking technology was going to advance much faster than it did.

Northlight is currently my favorite engine, everytime someone from Remedy is going to make a talk at GDC/Siggraph/4C or anywhere I make sure to keep my ears fully erect.

Northlight is basically an engine from the future.
Even QB without Raytracing at 4K will still run at around 70fps on a 3090.
Considering its an early Xbox One title Remedy were clearly thinking technology was going to advance much faster than it did.

Northlight is currently my favorite engine, everytime someone from Remedy is going to make a talk at GDC/Siggraph/4C or anywhere I make sure to keep my ears fully erect.
I mean, it looks pretty good, but it's far from the best looking game for how badly it runs.

Dampf

On Ampere hardware, RT shouldn't yield nearly as much of an impact performance as the 2000 series cards, yet it still does. I'm still going with badly coded.
That has nothing to do with the game. Raytracing is expensive and will lower framerate dramatically, depending on the settings. Ampere just has increased intersection performance to keep up with the increased shader performance, so performance impact with RT is similar to Turing.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I mean, it looks pretty good, but it's far from the best looking game for how badly it runs.

Do you think PT Minecraft looks as good as it punishes hardware?
Do you think QuakeRT looks as good as it punishes hardware?

I think Control is still the best looking game ive played, there are alot of stunning games that I sit and look at, Control and Northlight as a whole blows me away every time.
Control is madness, i constantly enter photomode after or during some scene destruction to marvel at how far real time rendering has come.

But thats just me.
I patiently await Remedys next title.

Black_Stride

Control uses almost the full bevy of RT features.....shouldnt yield an impact...are you high?
Even the debris you randomly kick up after destroying a scene is correctly lit, has AO, produces accurate shadows and reflections......that shit is never going to be free.

I think you might have overblown how powerful the 3090 is to yourself and you were expecting 4K120fps in every title.
Raytracing cost goes up with resolution almost exponentially....the more pixels there are the more Rays need to be fired....playing at 4K with the chipmelting full wormage of RT features Control comes with.....expecting super high refreshrates was a pipedream.....we havent advanced that much in one generation.

Time to use that DLSS if you want high refresh rates in something like Control fully maxed out.
That or get a second RTX 3090 and NVLink it together.

Last edited:

Banned
all this talking...

in the end it's really simple, RT is expensive, Control has basically as much RT as you can have without going full path tracing, high resolutions will destroy RT performance...

and the solution is also simple, play in DLSS Quality Mode, 1440p internal resolution upscaled to 4K, DLSS has better image quality and better AA than native 4K+TAA and it has better performance.
it should lock to 60fps with DLSS

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Turn off RT shadows and enable DLSS. Also, check your pc performance in Time Spy too see if it performs correctly.

Pagusas

Elden Member
all this talking...

in the end it's really simple, RT is expensive, Control has basically as much RT as you can have without going full path tracing, high resolutions will destroy RT performance...

and the solution is also simple, play in DLSS Quality Mode, 1440p internal resolution upscaled to 4K, DLSS has better image quality and better AA than native 4K+TAA and it has better performance.
it should lock to 60fps with DLSS
Yep, thats the answer and thats what every tech site and Nvidia themselves show the game with.

GymWolf

Remember when people said that a 3090 was extreme overkill for gaming??

tenor.gif

regawdless

Banned
It does a lot of impressive stuff, and it comes at a price.
On my 8700k and 3080, with all maxed including RTX, I get between 50 and 60 fps at 1440p native. Which is perfectly playable, especially with Gsync.
Of course 100+ fps with DLSS feels a lot better, but the RTX reflections become noisy, so there's a trade-off.

Especially with some reshade added (clarity and some different sharpen) to combat the very soft look, it's an incredible looking game.

Black_Stride

Remember when people said that a 3090 was extreme overkill for gaming??

tenor.gif

Who said that?
Because the 3090 is basically an RTX 3080 Super, maybe not even that its not even a gap big enough for it to be named a RTX 3080Ti.

The large VRAM is the only overkill people were talking about, but Ill fill that shit up easy work.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Who said that?
Because the 3090 is basically an RTX 3080 Super, maybe not even that its not even a gap big enough for it to be named a RTX 3080Ti.

The large VRAM is the only overkill people were talking about, but Ill fill that shit up easy work.
A lot of people on the internet while i was trying to hide the laughs

Last edited:

Black_Stride

It's overkill in that it costs like twice as much as a 3080 for minimal performance gains.

Nvidia really needed to have branded it as a Titan so people knew it was aimed more at people who need the VRAM, VFX artists are enjoying having that much VRAM, gamers a 3080 is much more cost effective........than that silly 8K gaming marketing they pushed is damaging peoples perception of how powerful the card is vs how demanding games actually are already.
OP is probably gonna cry when he sees what full wormage RTX games will do to his card at 4K resolutions.

"I got money" gamers are buying it expecting it to wipe the floor with every game that comes its way.

Its only marginally more powerful than a 3080, and even worse the 3080 20GB is coming soon making the RTX 3090 even less of an attractive option.

OP was expecting to get 144fps in every game at 4K with max settings.
If it can do 8K surely it can do 4K right?

Poor OP was goofed by the marketing.

Banned
Nvidia really needed to have branded it as a Titan so people knew it was aimed more at people who need the VRAM, VFX artists are enjoying having that much VRAM, gamers a 3080 is much more cost effective........than that silly 8K gaming marketing they pushed is damaging peoples perception of how powerful the card is vs how demanding games actually are already.
OP is probably gonna cry when he sees what full wormage RTX games will do to his card at 4K resolutions.

"I got money" gamers are buying it expecting it to wipe the floor with every game that comes its way.

Its only marginally more powerful than a 3080, and even worse the 3080 20GB is coming soon making the RTX 3090 even less of an attractive option.

OP was expecting to get 144fps in every game at 4K with max settings.
If it can do 8K surely it can do 4K right?

Poor OP was goofed by the marketing.

the 3090 doesn't have the same driver support as the Titan series, which is kinda arbitrary and dumb, but many programs that would run well on a Titan RTX will have issues getting the same performance on the 3090.

again that is simply a driver issue and a deliberate limitation put in place by Nvidia, but I don't see them changing that anytime soon

Black_Stride

Medium Settings RT off.
NW35oSM.gif

JRdne5P.gif

4hi9WYP.gif

With RT on all those particles and debris you see would be hit by rays and have AO, accurate shadows they would be accurately reflected in diffuse and sharp objects then add in all the dynamic lights.

Mate this game is an absolute powerhouse in what Realtime rendering can do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom