• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backward compatibility on discless SKU's for owners of retail discs

MastaKiiLA

1 Billion hours playing back compat games = no-one cares.

It doesn't move the needle. It's not a system seller. BC isn't going to decide who wins and who loses this generation. It's a feature that has greatest benefit during the first year, when the game library is limited on new consoles, which also coincides with the time when people who still want to play past-gen games, still have the last iteration of the system.

To think of it another way, all that time spent playing old games on the Xbox didn't push it over the top. The significance of this feature has been overemphasized going into every generation, but the conversation each new generation is always dominated by new games built for the new consoles, not old ones. It falls under the category "Nice to have, but not a deal-breaker."

So because both companies didnt think about this, the person who bought the game shouldn't have access to it on a discless console?
What if as expected Lockhart is discless?
Should I not be allowed to play my hundreds of games on it that I bought on disc?
No, you shouldn't be able to play them. But the disc based console will allow you to, buy that one instead.

Last edited:
I have bought a game. I have been told I can play my game next gen. I buy a diskless version of a console, my game is not valid however, even if I paid for it.
If I buy a digital game, I can play it on either next gen consoles, either discless or disc.

You were told your disks will work, and they will with compatible games. That is why they have a disk drive available on the new consoles. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced, and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot. The Xbox supports your disks back to the OG Xbox, and the PS5 with the disc drive supports your PS4 disks.

If I have a hard drive full of 100 games that I have purchased, and I have them on disc, the disc is only used to validate I have the game, it doesn't play off the disc.
There should be a way to validate I own the game and still be allowed to play it even if I buy a discless console.

You have the option to purchase the consoles that support discs. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced, and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot. The Xbox supports your disks back to the OG Xbox, and the PS5 with the disc drive supports your PS4 disks. There is no way to validate ownership of a disc without inserting the disc into the system as the required info is on that disk. There are no disc-specific markings that could even be used to identify each disc. Doing so over photos would be ripe for fraud and would require an entire department of people just for verification.

Exactly, or have to pay $100 More for a console to have the privilege to play my own games.

Yes you do for at least one of them. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced, and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot. The Xbox supports your disks back to the OG Xbox, and the PS5 with the disc drive supports your PS4 disks. You must pay more for a PS5 to play a disc-based game on the next console. The Disc based console is however available for purchase and will support you discs. If you do not want to pay more, you are free to not purchase the PS5.

I have bought a licence to play that game. Sony and MS have said that licence will carry over to next gen.
It isnt true if I buy the discless console, and I would have to buy the game again.
There needs to be a way for you to validate your game ownership to be able to play it regardless.

The license does carry over. Your discs do still work as promised on the consoles that support that media format. If you choose to buy the digital-only version of the format you do so knowing that your discs can't be read. It's impossible to verify disc ownership without inserting the disk into a drive.

Sony and MS have said my games library of PS4 and Xbox One games will be able to be played on the PS5 and XSX.
My mate didnt tell me that, they did.

And what they said is true. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced, and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot. The Xbox supports your disks back to the OG Xbox, and the PS5 with the disc drive supports your PS4 disks.

Some people might not care, but this is a issue moving forward. Both companies want to move away from physical media, and no doubt the PS6 generation will be all discless. So it would be ok for people with the digital games bought on PS4 and 5 to have access to them on the PS6, but not the people who bought them on disc?

If you believe discs are being abandoned despite both upcoming consoles having disc drives, but want your library to continue with you going forward I would recommend you start buying digitally. If you truly believe the format will lose support but want to keep games between consoles why would you still purchase that format? Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have no obligation to support any format.

1) With a cd I can turn it into a MP3 and still play it on my discless car stereo.
Thats not whats happening to me with games.
2) And show me where either company have said that by buying a game on disc, that it it is only valid for consoles with a drive.
3) My point is there are holes in this changeover from physical to digital, and companies need to make sure they allow people who have bought the game access to it the same wether its digital or physical.
4) Would it be ok if MS and Sony said you couldn't play your digital games if you buy the console that has a drive on it?
5) That's exactly what we are dealing with here.

1) With a CD you can rip the files using a third party software without the original publisher's consent and then convert them into another format on a PC to use them in your car stereo. You can also do this with games as well on a PC and then play them later through emulators on a PC with no disc drive.

2) Show me where any company that sells you a muffler for a car has said that it won't work on a Tesla. Onus is on the consumer to ensure the products they purchase is compatible. For a disc to work in a piece of hardware it must have a disc drive just like for a muffler to be of use on a car, it must have an exhaust system for it to connect to.

3) Microsoft and Sony are both allowing you to play your discs on their new consoles whether you chose to use a disc or buy digital. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced, and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot. The Xbox supports your disks back to the OG Xbox, and the PS5 with the disc drive supports your PS4 disks.

4) If Microsoft and Sony came out with a statement that digital-only titles won't work on disc-based consoles it would be completely within their rights. It would be a really stupid move but completely within their rights.

5) It's not what we are dealing with at all. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced, and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot. The Xbox supports your disks back to the OG Xbox, and the PS5 with the disc drive supports your PS4 disks.

Sure, but there is a greater issue moving forward to what all physical games go away.

If this is your belief then you should stop supporting the format.

But people collect the physical games. Sony and MS have sold collector editions of some games for well above the game value.
While some dont care, it is an issue moving forward, and one they will want to address.

You can still play your physical games on the new consoles. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced, and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot. The Xbox supports your disks back to the OG Xbox, and the PS5 with the disc drive supports your PS4 disks. If in the future they are no longer supported, you can still display your special edition versions of the game, but there was no legally binding promise made that all games would be supported indefinitely.

1) So show me where MS or Sony has said that buying the physical game will mean they cant play the game in the future is a disc player is no longer offered on a console?
In fact, I have quoted Phil Spencer on Back Compat where he has said buying the game guarantees my ability to play the game on any console I choose to.

1) They don't have to tell you buying the physical version of a game will mean you can't play the game in the future if the media format is no longer supported. For starters they cannot predict changes in how consumers consume, and they also can't base hardware indefinitely around abandoned formats. Why doesn't my new Bluray player support VHS or 35mm reels? Many devices have been available throughout history that support both the new and old formats (DVD/VHS players, cassette/CD players, etc) but not because they were required to do so, it occurred because there was a business model for them that generated revenue.

2) Phil Spencer:
"There's some caveats, and as always I like to be as transparent as I can be on this: Kinect games won't work from the 360, because translating between the Kinect sensors is almost impossible."
"I think about it both short term and long term. In the long term, I want people to feel like they can buy their games the way they want to buy them from us, and if they choose to buy digital, I want to show the respect for the purchase that they've made over multiple generations. And we haven't always done that — Games for Windows Live, and we've shut down things, people couldn't play their games. I'm not saying our track record's perfect in this area, but when I had some say in what we were doing, I said if you bought digital games from us, or frankly if you bought physical games if we can make that work, I want us to be able to respect those purchases and have them run on the current generation "

This is not a legally binding statement that promises all old games will always work on new consoles. This is a pledge that he will try to let as many people continue playing old media as much as is possible. Many games will never work, many can't work due to control input methods (Kinect games are out). To expect that all hardware will always support a current format is expecting too much.

And that is what is available with the Series X, which has a disc drive included which supports your disks back to the OG Xbox. There hasn't been a diskless version of the Series X announced. As for Sony they have only stated PS4 games will work and there is a version of the PS5 with a disc slot available for purchase. The Series X and the PS5 with the disc drive both support disks.

I'm not trying to shit on you. Honestly I think it would be a good move on Microsoft and Sony's parts to implement some way on the current consoles to insert your disk and receive the digital version as well. The issue is whether the discs are individually coded or not. If not, a single person could buy an Xbox or Playstation game and pass it around indefinitely to other people with each person scanning the single copy to receive the digital version of the game. Imagine a big exclusive launches, I buy the game and pop it into my console to receive the digital rights to the game, then hand it to my brother to do the same on his console, then he gives the disc to several co-workers to do the same on their consoles, etc. One disc could eliminate dozens of potential sales.

If the disks are all individually coded, then you need to be asking Microsoft and Sony why this isn't an option yet.

diffusionx

Gold Member
We have already been through this, with the Vita. All digital PSP games were supported. People whined that it couldn’t play their UMD games, but oh well, tough shit.

You don’t have the perpetual right to play a game you own regardless of format. The disc less version supports digital versions, not disc versions. Done, it’s over, deal with it.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
With a cd I can turn it into a MP3 and still play it on my discless car stereo.
Thats not whats happening to me with games.
And show me where either company have said that by buying a game on disc, that it it is only valid for consoles with a drive.
My point is there are holes in this changeover from physical to digital, and companies need to make sure they allow people who have bought the game access to it the same wether its digital or physical.
Would it be ok if MS and Sony said you couldn't play your digital games if you buy the console that has a drive on it?
That's exactly what we are dealing with here.

They can say whatever they want, provided they say it ahead of time and make it clear.

if you have 100 disc PS4 games you want to play on PS5, you need to buy a disc PS5.

Cart before the horse. When you purchase physical game disc you do so with the knowledge and acceptance that a console with a disc tray is required for this to work. Back compat is used as an incentive by either side but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything even close to a guarantee of backwards or forwards compatibility for any game or console. What you’re saying makes no sense and is definitely not a legal issue.

-Arcadia-

Banned
You have to accept that you can't have the world along with your chosen form-factor and price, I guess.

The option has been presented to you, and you have full knowledge over your choices. If it means that much to you, take the slight L on physical form and price, and you're set.

Personally, I wouldn't mind going digital and rebuying the very few physical PS4 games I have for rock-bottom prices, if I feel the urge to replay them, which isn't so certain.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I have bought a game. I have been told I can play my game next gen. I buy a diskless version of a console, my game is not valid however, even if I paid for it.
If I buy a digital game, I can play it on either next gen consoles, either discless or disc.
that is the choice you have made, Sony have not forced you to buy a console without a disc drive. you made the choice knowing you only have 100 discs to play that are back compatible so its your own fault

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Entitlement is not law.
Sony cannot be blamed if someone is dumb enough to want to play physical discs on a discless console and I'm sure the TOS will reflect that.

vkbest

Sony and MS will both offer a discless version of their consoles next gen. PS5 has already announced it, and MS already had one this gen.

So if someone buys the discless version of the PS5 or XSX, and they have a hundred PS4 or XO games on a hard drive, including games on discs, how is Sony or MS going to validate the games to allow people to have access to their full library?

Now I know some will just say, well you have to buy the model with the disc drive, but I'm not sure that will stack up legally, especially in the EU.
If you have bought the game, regardless of if its on disc or digital, you should have the right to play it.
Telling consumers that they are going to have to spend say $100 More on the console to play games already bought is a bit if a cop out.

I can see an issue for both companies down the track with this.
You bought the game, you have been told by Sony and MS that you will be able to play them next gen, but yet if you have bought the disc, then you have to buy the more expensive sku.

Even more so is if Lockhart is only discless then again, MS is really going to have to allow you to play your old games.

If you are interested on play your PS4 physical games, why would you buy a digital model?

FranXico

Now I know some will just say, well you have to buy the model with the disc drive, but I'm not sure that will stack up legally, especially in the EU.
If you have bought the game, regardless of if its on disc or digital, you should have the right to play it.
Telling consumers that they are going to have to spend say $100 More on the console to play games already bought is a bit if a cop out
It stacks up legally, in the EU as well.
The discless consoles are distinct hardware which does not support discs.
Manufacturers just need to clearly document the distinction.

93xfan

Banned

But no one told you that, you just wish they did. Best of luck in court though

Azurro

Banned

I think the thing that you don't understand is that you don't buy a game. You buy a license to play a game that includes a specification of its media delivery. If you only buy physical discs on PS4 and you buy a digital version of the PS5, you can't expect those games to be compatible, as you are fully aware that the media delivery format of both are different and the way ownership verification works are different.

sephiroth7x

I don't understand your view here.

I really dont. It seems so - well sorry to say, but odd.

If you want to buy a PS5 and take advantage of the backwards compatibility, then buy the disc drive PS5. If not, buy digital. The option is there, if you chose to get the digital only PS5 then the hint is in the title, digital only and no physical discs... how is this even remotely legally awkward?

And with regards to having a right to play your old game - then use the PS4 you bought it for to play it?

People who keep complaining about digital consoles in the future, when you bought the game it was for the console that was on the market at the time, adding BC to new consoles is a feature that they offer as a benefit it's not forced, they don't have to do it and they don't have to offer disc based consoles from now to the end of time. Nintendo doesn't let you plus N64 cartridges into switch right? You can't put your gamecube games in it. There is no guarantee of BC, full BC or disc based BC in the future so if it's that important to you buy disc based consoles for as long as you can and keep a spare one in a box in the closet that you can use when you really need to play grabbed by the ghoulies late one night in 2030 :)

Grinchy

Banned
If I have a hard drive full of 100 games that I have purchased, and I have them on disc, the disc is only used to validate I have the game, it doesn't play off the disc.
There should be a way to validate I own the game and still be allowed to play it even if I buy a discless console.
And this will be possible if we allow an online check-in type of thing that we didn't want this generation.

The worst part of Microsoft's plan for this exact feature was that they wanted to tap into the used game market by charging the 2nd system a fee to run the disc. So you could borrow a game from a friend or buy a used copy, but would owe $10-15 to make it run. Everything else about the disc plan they had going was great.

I'd love to see the ability to insert the disc, tie it to my system/account, and not have to put it in after that. And if the disc is used in another system, the system has to go online first, find out it's tied to my system, and 'take ownership" so the first system could no longer play it until I put the disc back in.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You do have the right to play the games, on your PS4. There's no law saying the games also have to be playable on a completely different console.

It's simple, if you want to play your physical PS4 games you will need the more expensive PS5.

Xplainin

Banned
So you want to use your physical games but you're too cheap to buy a console with the required hardware?

This sounds more like envy towards digital only consumers because they get to buy a cheaper console than you.
I was also referencing how Lockhart was said to be discless and how its anticipated that the generation after this one will be discless as well.
People who have bought the game, regardless of if it's on disc or not, should be able to play it on the console they want. Exactly what Phil Spencer said would be the case.
Would you think it fair if MS or Sony said that you couldn't play your digital library if you bought the console with a disc drive? That's what is being said here.
Its an issue that both companies need to address, and it shouldn't come at any extra expense to the user.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If you have already bought a game, and you have proof (like its linked to your Xbox/PSN account), and BC is available on the consoles, no way should you have to buy the game again, or subscribe to a service to play it etc. And if you do, i hope people can put aside brand loyalty and tell it for exactly what it is - wrong and scummy.
I mean, you could have sold it. One thing which I see....possibly....that swan song of retailers, you bring them game, they will check it out if it's that said game and gave you code.

I was also referencing how Lockhart was said to be discless and how its anticipated that the generation after this one will be discless as well.
People who have bought the game, regardless of if it's on disc or not, should be able to play it on the console they want. Exactly what Phil Spencer said would be the case.
Would you think it fair if MS or Sony said that you couldn't play your digital library if you bought the console with a disc drive? That's what is being said here.
Its an issue that both companies need to address, and it shouldn't come at any extra expense to the user.
So the user should get a free disc drive?

That Phil Spencer quote you keep pulling a single sentence from is with regards to smart delivery between the xbox one and the series x, both of which have disc drives.

TLZ

Banned
Sony and MS will both offer a discless version of their consoles next gen. PS5 has already announced it, and MS already had one this gen.

So if someone buys the discless version of the PS5 or XSX, and they have a hundred PS4 or XO games on a hard drive, including games on discs, how is Sony or MS going to validate the games to allow people to have access to their full library?

Telling consumers that they are going to have to spend say $100 More on the console to play games already bought is a bit if a cop out.

You bought the game, you have been told by Sony and MS that you will be able to play them next gen, but yet if you have bought the disc, then you have to buy the more expensive sku.

Even more so is if Lockhart is only discless then again, MS is really going to have to allow you to play your old games.
I don't know about Xbox discs, but I either heard or read somewhere that every PS4 disc has a unique code, so maybe that can be scanned with your controller or whatever and allows you to own a digital version from their store.

Xplainin

Banned
So the user should get a free disc drive?

That Phil Spencer quote you keep pulling a single sentence from is with regards to smart delivery between the xbox one and the series x, both of which have disc drives.
Phil also said
"And as gaming goes from all-physical to a combination of physical and digital, I think us respecting the purchase people have made at no charge allowing them to continue playing their games - and in many cases those games play the best and look the best on the new generation which frankly isn't easy to do - is just something I wanted to continue to do with Project Scarlett."

This one had nothing to do with smart delivery and has the same message.

Last edited:
I feel this is a troll thread.

The only excuse is that you're some grandma buying a game for their grandson that doesn't understand that discs require a disc drive to read them.

Stuart360

I mean, you could have sold it. One thing which I see....possibly....that swan song of retailers, you bring them game, they will check it out if it's that said game and gave you code.
Thats why i think BC on consoles 'long term' will be only for digital game sales.

kuncol02

Banned
Answer is super easy. They will not. You will be able to play only games purchased in digital form.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Remember when there was that thing going around ages back that MS was going to offer a service in game stores that you took your game in, and they would give you a digital code in exchange for the disk...?

Damn, that would have been nice... Can’t see how it would work, but nice.

FranXico

Remember when there was that thing going around ages back that MS was going to offer a service in game stores that you took your game in, and they would give you a digital code in exchange for the disk...?

Damn, that would have been nice... Can’t see how it would work, but nice.
You mean, like that UMD trade-in program Sony claimed for the PSP Go? Already back then, it turned out to be a problem for retailers.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You mean, like that UMD trade-in program Sony claimed for the PSP Go? Already back then, it turned out to be a problem for retailers.

Well that was obviously so successful I can’t even remember that happening 😂

But yeah, that. As I said not sure how it would even work. Stores wouldn’t get much from it, so wouldn’t care. Then again, you give them the box, they give you the code. They sell the game for roughly 6p cheaper than a new copy, as usual. So it benefit them some how I’m sure.

But a way to get us all to go digital like this is needed if they want us to switch. I have no problem going digital, I want the shelf space back.

Phil also said
"And as gaming goes from all-physical to a combination of physical and digital, I think us respecting the purchase people have made at no charge allowing them to continue playing their games - and in many cases those games play the best and look the best on the new generation which frankly isn't easy to do - is just something I wanted to continue to do with Project Scarlett."

This one had nothing to do with smart delivery and has the same message.
So a reference to project scarlett, which is series x, which has a disc drive.

I don't undefended your indignation here, I suspect you're either retarded, a troll, or a retarded troll.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not even close to being true.

They're both going to sell versions of the console that have a disc drive, it's up to you whether you buy it or not. You aren't "spending extra" on the disc version, you're choosing not to go for the cheaper, discless option.

They also absolutely have not guaranteed that your entire library will work and that's very much on purpose.

sobaka770

Banned
I don't think even in Europe this thing will fly. The consoles don't have to play older games, it's a bonus feature. Your PS4/XoX disc states somewhere that it's playable on PS4 and that fine text, which will be legal-proof, will make sure the company won't be liable if you bought a discless console and go complain about lack of compatibility.

I think it's a big shame that there's no digitising of physical content possible. Like with movies where you get a digital copy when you buy a disc. I suppose double dipping is a big revenue source.

ZywyPL

Banned
Valid question. But still, I remember like it was yesterday when people were so angry about digital distribution, claiming that by going physical they can always replay their old games, they'll never lose them, and so on, and it's all true, people who go physical can indeed always play the old games, on the old consoles, 100% BC guarenteed! I think the more stubborn some people will be about buying games through digital distribution the more they'll hurt themselves in the long run.

Does it really say that in the EULA? I don't think so, more than that - I'm more than sure that not a single game title has ever mention compatibility with any potential hardware/software that will be released in the future, because obviously no one knows the future. I mean, games released back in in Win7 times are guaranteed to run on Win7, but not 8 or 10, because no one knew if/what the future system will be, you can release games today that will run on Win10, 8 and 7, but not the other way around, I'm pretty sure you'd lose at any court that a game doesn't run on Win10 or doesn't even install at all when the system is not even mentioned once in a 10-20yo title. Same for the consoles, who would have knew in 2013-2019 that the upcoming consoles will allow for BC? No one, the games were designed around PS4/XB1, and they are guaranteed to indeed run on those systems, but nothing more. Maybe Sony and MS will figure out some way to claim digital versions of already owned physical games for PS4/XB1, but they don't have to, it's all within their mercy and good will.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Couldn't resist.

GtGYAC6.png

cormack12

Gold Member

Why are console warriors so poor at reading English? Can you even feed yourself OP?

If you require discless BC then buy the SKU with a disc to play those old discs.
If you require digital BC then buy the SKU without a disc to play them on the console.

That's it. You have a solution. You can think it's unfair or whatever but that's it. If you want to play old discs, you'll need a disc drive. Alternatively trade in your old fashioned discs, get some credit and buy store vouchers and purchase the old games digitally. Or continue crying.

Last edited:

Goalus

Microsoft has never announced a discless SKU.
So if you want be offended, leave them out of your sermon.

Virex

Banned

Your post literally has no merit whatsoever. If you know you want to play your old games that are on disc. Then what kind of retard then buys the discless version of the console they want to use for backwards compatibility.

Iorv3th

Thanks for your amazing input.

Look it's simple. If you want to play your discs with backwards compatibility. Buy the disc version. If your not worried about it and just want to go digital, buy the digital version.

Easy to understand for most people.

Birdo

Banned
Lack of hindsight, means that disc owners will have to do without their current games if they go all-digital next gen.

It's the same with people buying physical Switch games. There is no way Nintendo will be using those expensive carts for their next, more powerful machine. Your physical collection will not be making the transition.

Aion002

This argument wouldn't hold not even here in Brazil.... A place where some extreme BS gets passed on the court.... Well at least I hope so.... Because it's really silly dude.

I have bought a licence to play that game. Sony and MS have said that licence will carry over to next gen.
It isnt true if I buy the discless console, and I would have to buy the game again.
There needs to be a way for you to validate your game ownership to be able to play it regardless.
Sony and MS have said my games library of PS4 and Xbox One games will be able to be played on the PS5 and XSX.
My mate didnt tell me that, they did.
well you have to buy the model with the disc drive

Are you just trying to be controversial here or something? Or are you just dense? If you want to play your current gen disc media next gen you can play them on the next gen disc system, it's as simple as that. I'm assuming you will carry over all your digital purchases to both next gen disc and digital systems, not just the newer games that get released. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you, because they are keeping their promise by giving you those options. You basically relinquish your right to play disc games if you purchase an discless system. Besides, you keep saying the same thing like a broken record without offering a reasonable solution for both customers and Sony/Microsoft. How do you propose disc owners carry on their licenses to a discless system? There simply doesn't exist ANY system in place to be able to link or prove ownership of one disc to one system/owner. If PS4/Xbox One had CD keys like old computer games you would be able to do it, but that's not the case. The only other option I can think of is a program where you trade in your old gen copy of your game and you get a license for it the next gen console, but even then this seems like a stretch. What are they gonna do with all these physical copies that get traded in? Any other option I can think of seems ripe for abuse, like "iF i hAve A cOpY oF ThE gamE iNsTaLlEd I HAvE tHe rIGHt To gET it fOr fRee". I don't think I need to explain in how many ways you could abuse this, and it's just an entitled mentality.

Agent X

We have already been through this, with the Vita. All digital PSP games were supported. People whined that it couldn’t play their UMD games, but oh well, tough shit.

You don’t have the perpetual right to play a game you own regardless of format. The disc less version supports digital versions, not disc versions. Done, it’s over, deal with it.

This was also the example that I had in mind.

I remember people tossing around the idea that Vita could (hypothetically) play disc-based PSP games by using a UMD drive attachment. While that might not have been practical for a portable system, I wonder if there is a possibility of connecting an external Blu-ray disc drive to the discless versions of the next-generation consoles?

If disc-based compatibility is highly important to you, then the best (and obvious) solution is to purchase the version of the console that has a disc drive.

Xplainin

Banned
Are you just trying to be controversial here or something? Or are you just dense? If you want to play your current gen disc media next gen you can play them on the next gen disc system, it's as simple as that. I'm assuming you will carry over all your digital purchases to both next gen disc and digital systems, not just the newer games that get released. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you, because they are keeping their promise by giving you those options. You basically relinquish your right to play disc games if you purchase an discless system. Besides, you keep saying the same thing like a broken record without offering a reasonable solution for both customers and Sony/Microsoft. How do you propose disc owners carry on their licenses to a discless system? There simply doesn't exist ANY system in place to be able to link or prove ownership of one disc to one system/owner. If PS4/Xbox One had CD keys like old computer games you would be able to do it, but that's not the case. The only other option I can think of is a program where you trade in your old gen copy of your game and you get a license for it the next gen console, but even then this seems like a stretch. What are they gonna do with all these physical copies that get traded in? Any other option I can think of seems ripe for abuse, like "iF i hAve A cOpY oF ThE gamE iNsTaLlEd I HAvE tHe rIGHt To gET it fOr fRee". I don't think I need to explain in how many ways you could abuse this, and it's just an entitled mentality.
How is it an entitled opinion to think that I should be able to play my games that I have paid for on future consoles that may or may not contain a drive?

How is it an entitled opinion to think that I should be able to play my games that I have paid for on future consoles that may or may not contain a drive?
Did you even read what I wrote? Again, you're a broken record player. You failed to address anything of what I said. You're akin to people that would get mad they couldn't play NES cartridges on their Super Nintendo, except this time around you do have options to play last gen games. Don't bother replying, especially if you're just going to say the same thing again. I'm done wasting my time on this thread for a non issue.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Because you're able to play your games on a disc console, not a discless one. It doesn't take a genius to understand that if you want to play discs, you need a system with a disc drive.

Stop acting like a petulant child and repeating the same thing over and over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom