• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in 2009, a study finds that women are more hardcore gamers than men.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I remember when she appeared on TOTP.
Top of the Pops? Awesome show.

Here was my favorite music show:

zwei-logo-png-transparent.png

martino

There are a lot of "shadow" female gamers out there that are not as visible because they don't go to conventions, they don't post on forum threads, and they don't hang out in gaming stores all weekend.

genre-gender-percentages.png
when isee that i'm almost a female gamer at hearth

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
FFS I had to prise the Xbox controller from my ex's hands to get a go at Oblivion when it came out, I ended up resigning myself to watching her play it

killatopak

Gold Member
Anecdotal but I have first hand experience.

3 girls at my house play more than me.

I spend more time in forums and news sites than playing.

Shut0wen

My first job i ever had was door to door knocking, selling shitty internet to gullible people, did this job for over a year and a half and one of my biggest surprises were how many women who either dont work for various reasons or retired that play video games, one that stuck out the most was a 66 year old woman who was retired and loved playing world of warcraft, never sold her the shitty internet but watched her play for an hour. I dont like wow and only ever played it for about an hour byt she was crazy good in a clan and everything

Reactions: Isa

Ritsu

Neo Member
For me the definition of gamer is someone who's beyond "just into" games and I'm glad I've met very skilled female players and as well very raging and flaming ones. That was some reality check.

• Thoughtful

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How many women are gamers that aren’t instant celebrities overnight? I know I’m coming off as being a bit misogynist, but aren’t most hardcore female gamers famous for just letting the world know they are hardcore gamers? That’s my biggest gripe with the whole thing. You have had guys/dudes or whatever spend endless amounts of money over the years and dedicating a lot of time playing 30, 50, or 60 hour long games while a female just appears online with a Razer headset and a Twitch channel. I see some sponsored gamers out there and it’s like they spent a day shopping at Best Buy. Their status or worth to the gaming market trumps someone who spent years of their life understanding the medium.

How many women are gamers that aren’t instant celebrities overnight? I know I’m coming off as being a bit misogynist, but aren’t most hardcore female gamers famous for just letting the world know they are hardcore gamers?
How would you even know? If there are women out there who just play games all day by themselves, why would you ever heard of them? I spent years playing MMOs almost exclusively, and some of the most obsessed players I met in those games were women. None of them were streamers or trying to become famous. Streaming wasn't even a thing back then. They just played a ton because they were addicted to the game.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm yet to see the so-called hardcore female gamer in real life, where the fuck are they for real, I'd marry at least 5 of them... Every single time there's a talk about video games and women/girls hear it, it always the exact same response - games are dump and for kids, and a waste of time, fucking always.

Now I know girls who do play occasionally stuff like Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed, CP2077 etc. on their husband's/boyfriend's console, but they only do so when the weather outside is totally shit, otherwise they also think that sitting inside the house when the sun's shining is a waste of time, and even when they do stay at home, a book or TV series if the first thing they think about picking up.

Honestly, whenever I hear about a "hardcore female gamer" the only thing I can think of are streamers, who indeed spend a lot of time actually playing video games, even more than I myself do given that's what they do for a living. But outside the Internet, when you speak with actual real women, I feel like completely nothing has changed since the 90s.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm yet to see the so-called hardcore female gamer in real life, where the fuck are they for real, I'd marry at least 5 of them... Every single time there's a talk about video games and women/girls hear it, it always the exact same response - games are dump and for kids, and a waste of time, fucking always.

Now I know girls who do play occasionally stuff like Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed, CP2077 etc. on their husband's/boyfriend's console, but they only do so when the weather outside is totally shit, otherwise they also think that sitting inside the house when the sun's shining is a waste of time, and even when they do stay at home, a book or TV series if the first thing they think about picking up.

Honestly, whenever I hear about a "hardcore female gamer" the only thing I can think of are streamers, who indeed spend a lot of time actually playing video games, even more than I myself do given that's what they do for a living. But outside the Internet, when you speak with actual real women, I feel like completely nothing has changed since the 90s.
Imagine the alimony

j/k

I actually find quite a few of them in IT jobs, locally. I think past pandemic this number also grows, because they find the magic of gaming, when they couldn't do anything else, etc. I don't think it ever going to be 50:50, but it's quite a shift, even from 10 years ago, when you had to hide it from your resume, in order for you to smash.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
All that article says is that women play slightly more hours per week, and that they prefer to play with their romantic partner whereas men are more likely to prefer playing alone.

I don’t get how that’s “hardcore”.

My wife plays Animal Crossing like her life depends on it. She has more hours in those games than I have in any game I’ve ever played. But I don’t think any one (including her) would consider her a “hardcore gamer”

• Thoughtful

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How would you even know? If there are women out there who just play games all day by themselves, why would you ever heard of them? I spent years playing MMOs almost exclusively, and some of the most obsessed players I met in those games were women. None of them were streamers or trying to become famous. Streaming wasn't even a thing back then. They just played a ton because they were addicted to the game.
My exposure for one. I’ve gamed for 30 years. I have had a couple women show interest in games over the years, but a lot of that has been scrutiny from the opposite sex. I have tried to be part of the gaming community online since AOL and yes I do believe there are some amazing hardcore female gamers out there. However I don’t think that number is very high from my own observation. What I do see are Twitter accounts, Twitch streams, and YouTube videos where the female plays a game and it’s obvious that they may have troll fans or that they just showed up and received a lot of attention.

That’s awesome that you had that exposure. I for one have met some hardcore female fans in real life and they let most people around them know that. I wouldn’t even be bringing this up, but this has been my experience in my life. A lot of it has been scrutiny while the other is either out there in the open or hidden (like what you’re saying). I understand that my exposure isn’t everything, but there’s been decades pass me by and my experience has remained the same. At a point in time, the mind moves on and you only have experiences to remember. That’s why I said what I said.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Interesting. I've never been with a woman who's into gaming. Also, as far as I'm aware, hardly any women at my place of work are into gaming. There is one who is a HUGE overwatch fan and even wares Overwatch clothing on a almost daily basis, but that's it.

ParaSeoul

Interesting. I've never been with a woman who's into gaming. Also, as far as I'm aware, hardly any women at my place of work are into gaming. There is one who is a HUGE overwatch fan and even wares Overwatch clothing on a almost daily basis, but that's it.
from what i've seen women are into very specific games,either multiplayer,casual or final fantasy (also kingdom hearts) for some reason

anthony2690

Banned
Have you seen all the men on here arguing over plastic boxes rather than enjoying the games? :p

Letting the men down, they are.

Edit: that being said, I have noticed female friends that game seem to go for 100% in everything they play.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

ParaSeoul

Have you seen all the men on here arguing over plastic boxes rather than enjoying the games? :p

Letting the men down, they are.

Edit: that being said, I have noticed female friends that game seem to go for 100% in everything they play.
I knew a girl who would beat a game first on easy mode,then normal and then tried hard. I don't even understand why.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
In my 30+ years of studying this subject I find that women are more hardcore than men at absolutely nothing.

Even when it comes to "girly" things... my gay friends are more hardcore at that too.

So I press X to doubt.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I knew a girl who would beat a game first on easy mode,then normal and then tried hard. I don't even understand why.
Haha yeah one girl I went on a date with, a very very long time ago, back when everyone used MySpace, had hand drawn the entire map and every single notable item she had found on elder scrolls oblivion.

then she dropped that liked being peed on & I ghosted her

BootsLoader

Banned
Sometime ago I was playing LoL with my ex gf. To be honest I was playing to have fun. Didn’t give a fuck about winning. But she….omg, she was furious every time we were losing a game. If I had more kills than her or did an accidental KS, she was angry on me for hours. I never understood why she was like that. So one day I was pissed off and stopped playing this game with her.
She also could not accept losing by me xD! She was angry for that also.
Overall she was a great girl but when it came down to gaming, I didn’t understand her anger.
I don’t know if this is called “hardcore”.

ParaSeoul

Sometime ago I was playing LoL with my ex gf. To be honest I was playing to have fun. Didn’t give a fuck about winning. But she….omg, she was furious every time we were losing a game. If I had more kills than her or did an accidental KS, she was angry on me for hours. I never understood why she was like that. So one day I was pissed off and stopped playing this game with her.
She also could not accept losing by me xD! She was angry for that also.
Overall she was a great girl but when it came down to gaming, I didn’t understand her anger.
I don’t know if this is called “hardcore”.
Never actually met a girl who was actually good at games,knew plenty who were into them but they were almost always bad-average,tended to camp a lot in fps games. Only time my ex beat me in games was after I had a couple drinks.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I always have wondered when people click a link like this about something they're more directly associated with... (like their professional life or maybe an article about a medical condition they actuallt have).... and they are so obviously , egregiously and fundamentally incorrect in almost every conceivable way...

Why would you go to the same place for any of your OTHER news ever again?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have introduced my wife to a lot of games. Her ex played a lot, but I asked her if she ever played herself. She said she had just seen the games. “Have you played this game?” “No, but my ex played it”. To me, this wasn’t good enough. I tell my wife about upcoming games, show her trailers, and then she gets the latest game she’s interested in. She’s played through all the latest ACs, Horizon, and other various next Gen titles. I’d rather have her enjoy games than piggy back off someone else’s experience.

She finds me insufferable at times because she says it’s too much info. I tell her it’s because I’d rather see her play than have memories of her ex playing the game instead. I’ve met women who had boxes of cool PC games in their garage. I would ask about that boxed copy of Final Fantasy XI and they would just pawn it off on their ex. I’d honestly like to see more and more women overcome the stigma of a male-only hobby. Invest if you’re interested, become aware of tropes, and enjoy the journey games take the player.

Gamerguy84

I don't personally know any woman that plays video games strongly associated with PS/Xbox/PC.

Also isn't this from 2009? Statisticians can prove anything.

thelawof4

It is kind of "weird" how almost all of the "hardcore gamergirls" look like the type of girl that would ignore most the hardcore gamers. It seems almost forced in a way :)

thelawof4

Whether a man says he's better than a female at something, or vice versa, it's just as equally cringeworthy. And most the time nobody else gives a fuck. But this is the social media age, where everybody has to feel special.
How exactly is that cringeworthy? That is factual reality in most fields of sports and sciences. Obviously there is a fine line between acknowledging reality and being a bragger.

Nester99

The study, one of the first of its kind, involved thousands of players of EverQuest II, a popular online role-playing game, also known as an MMO, short for "massively multiplayer online." Dmitri Williams and colleagues were granted access to the EverQuest II database and linked the data to a survey of nearly 7,000 players who agreed to participate in exchange for a virtual prize.

Oh Gross. They just studied players of a 20 year old game? LOL only 7000 degenerates.

"study" lol

Top Bottom