• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood - PS5 Gameplay 4K HDR 60FPS (Deluxe & Ultimate Editions out)

rubhen925

Played the game yesterday. Enjoyed it a bit, but there are some issues as well. Here's some info:

- PS5 Install Size is 32.85 GB as of version 1.000.002
- Game has no modes to choose from. PR confirmed it runs at 4K 60FPS.
- There are in game HDR settings, for luminosity.
- There are haptics for the triggers adding some resistance while shooting and all. Goes nuts when using automatic weapons.
- There are 3 modes to play. Solo Campaign, Online Coop Campaign, and Swarm.
- Your progression in Solo does not carry over to online or vice versa.
- doing solo campaign does not yield any rewards or currency to use in online or purchase stuff.
- Solo campaign is ok most of the time, but the companion AI are garbage. 20% of the time they will shoot, mark things of use, drop ammo, heal, etc. Rest of the time they just stand there doing nothing. Block your paths etc.
- In Solo, all the enemies chase the player. Beware of that.
- It's best to play this in coop. Game is made for coop, as more enemies spawn and more objectives are given in coop.
- Solo campaign took me 8 hours but it can be beaten in 6-7 hours.
- 4 Acts. Act 4 is just the final boss.
- Game is a bit smoother from the beta.
- You can turn of motion blur and chromatic aberration in settings.
- Buying the Deluxe or Ultimate Edition will net you early access. or the base release is on the 12th.
- Replayability is based on getting new cards to make decks with, but other than that, you're just looking at redoing the coop campaign online over and over in the 3 difficulties.
- Swarm is multiplayer. You can be a human or a Ridden (zombie). it's all right. Not something I'm gonna be spending oodles of time into.
- For a full priced game not sure this has the replayability factor imo. This is the same as evolve. Released with not enough content which caused its downfall. Hopefully they release new content regularly or I can see people shelving this too.

That's it for now. I'll update if I come across anything else. Cheers

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
It's a shame that Solo is handicapped. I mean, we all knew the game encouraged co-op play, but you'd think that in situations where players want to play with friends and no randos that they'd be able to earn the same stuff in Solo.

I'm sure they did it to keep players from grinding Supply Points, but I'm sure there was another route they could've taken. Feels like a very messy way around all of that IMO.

I played a bit yesterday and definitely felt like it felt better than what I experienced in the betas for sure. Can't tell if it's me or it has been improved, but shooting definitely feels better. But it's weird, something about it just lacks tension to me. I feel like L4D 1/2 and even other survival coop games build tension better. This just kind of feels like I'm chugging along without any real intensity, lol.

rubhen925

It's a shame that Solo is handicapped. I mean, we all knew the game encouraged co-op play, but you'd think that in situations where players want to play with friends and no randos that they'd be able to earn the same stuff in Solo.

I'm sure they did it to keep players from grinding Supply Points, but I'm sure there was another route they could've taken. Feels like a very messy way around all of that IMO.

I played a bit yesterday and definitely felt like it felt better than what I experienced in the betas for sure. Can't tell if it's me or it has been improved, but shooting definitely feels better. But it's weird, something about it just lacks tension to me. I feel like L4D 1/2 and even other survival coop games build tension better. This just kind of feels like I'm chugging along without any real intensity, lol.
Yea having no progression in solo is pointless imo. You have all the cards unlocked lmao.

FUBARx89

The beta was enough to turn me and my friends off the game.

Nowhere near as good as L4D and the versus mode was wank.

manzo

Tried the beta with friends who we finished L4D with the hardest difficulty, all episodes.
Absolute borefest. Not buying even from sale. Like a mobile version made for zoomers.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Been playing since yesterday; good game to jump in and jump out of. Queue times are a bit spotty if you aren't starting from scratch but this is to be expected when the player count is so low.

Tried the beta with friends who we finished L4D with the hardest difficulty, all episodes.
Absolute borefest. Not buying even from sale. Like a mobile version made for zoomers.

I've only played a little bit of Left for Dead however the gameplay and the seemingly replayability all look pretty much exactly like what is in Back for Blood. So I'm always confused when I see criticisms that caveat the enjoyment one has with with the former that isn't carried over to the later.

. . .now if the criticism is that it is just more Left for Dead, then that I can totally see.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Bought ultimate edition, beta was flawless for the most part and showed so much promise. Hype at maximum

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Quality post as always. Thanks for the info.

Personally, not interested in this game -- I just don't like or play online co-op looter-shooter-type games as I find them generic and void of creative ideas. Tried the beta though; the DualSense triggers felt good while firing weapons.

GHG

Gold Member

GIF by Entertainment Tonight

Lognor

Banned
I believe this will be on Game Pass so if you have a subscription might be a good way to check it out. From what I've seen it's not for me but I'm going to give it a shot anyway since ya know, it's free.

rubhen925

I believe this will be on Game Pass so if you have a subscription might be a good way to check it out. From what I've seen it's not for me but I'm going to give it a shot anyway since ya know, it's free.
It is on gamepass. Pre installed. Will check it out on 12th to see how it performs on it haha

Had the game preorderwd before they announced it was going to gamepass and swiftly cancelled the preorder.

The beta was ok. Me and my friends will be playing next week.

GHG

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy: . I'm strongly considering whether I want to give this a go or not. Creepy games tend to not be my thing, and I'm also the solo type lol.

Yeh it's something I think I'll most likely avoid since I'm not really into these kinds of co-op looter shooter horde games.

Don't think it's creepy though. Saw some decent gameplay yesterday and it will probably be fun for it's intended target audience:

Yeh it's something I think I'll most likely avoid since I'm not really into these kinds of co-op looter shooter horde games.

Don't think it's creepy though. Saw some decent gameplay yesterday and it will probably be fun for it's intended target audience:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Redfall because it appears that one is more silly, seems to have some stealth, has special abilities and I kinda like the vibe I get from it, but we shall see.

Reactions: Isa

Kev Kev

(repost from the other thread, i meant to post it in this one.....)

this guy does a good job at expressing most of our complaints, but also giving some compliments along the way.

he also says that some of the maps are recycled. not sure if that means its the same 5 maps in each act (3 acts total), or something else? maybe someone who has played can explain ( rubhen925 rubhen925 ??? ). if that is the case then.... oof, that'd be a huuuuge no go for me. ill still play it on gamepass but i wont be buying it if there are only 5 maps total that just get reused in each act.

he gave it a 5/10

the more i hear about this game the more i am convinced that the developers are hoping to rope in a small but dedicated user base that they can nickel and dime until the game becomes profitable. i dont think its meant to be a big popular game for all the masses. as a horde shooter whore, i know how fun and addicting these games can be, and i believe they are trying to cater to a base of <10k users, who are willing to buy every piece of DLC and map packs and what not

im still hyped about the game and im sure ill still love it, but i can understand each and everyone one of the complaints ive heard about it. but like i said, im a whore for these types of games so..... oh well, its just holding me over until warhammer: darktide releases :love::goog_love:

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

rubhen925

(repost from the other thread, i meant to post it in this one.....)

this guy does a good job at expressing most of our complaints, but also giving some compliments along the way.

he also says that some of the maps are recycled. not sure if that means its the same 5 maps in each act (3 acts total), or something else? maybe someone who has played can explain ( rubhen925 rubhen925 ??? ). if that is the case then.... oof, that'd be a huuuuge no go for me. ill still play it on gamepass but i wont be buying it if there are only 5 maps total that just get reused in each act.

he gave it a 5/10

the more i hear about this game the more i am convinced that the developers are hoping to rope in a small but dedicated user base that they can nickel and dime until the game becomes profitable. i dont think its meant to be a big popular game for all the masses. as a horde shooter whore, i know how fun and addicting these games can be, and i believe they are trying to cater to a base of <10k users, who are willing to buy every piece of DLC and map packs and what not

im still hyped about the game and im sure ill still love it, but i can understand each and everyone one of the complaints ive heard about it. but like i said, im a whore for these types of games so..... oh well, its just holding me over until warhammer: darktide releases :love::goog_love:

Yes not every map in each act are the same. Most are recycled. For example act 1 you might visit a map in the night. Act 2 you might visit that map in the morning and a new path unlocks. Act 3 you visit that path again in dusk and a new path unlocks. But yes maps are recycled a lot. I was thinking each time you go to a different area a new map was there. which is a shame.

Kev Kev

Yes not every map in each act are the same. Most are recycled. For example act 1 you might visit a map in the night. Act 2 you might visit that map in the morning and a new path unlocks. Act 3 you visit that path again in dusk and a new path unlocks. But yes maps are recycled a lot. I was thinking each time you go to a different area a new map was there. which is a shame.
boooooo

oh well, im still gonna enjoy it on gamepass. but man, they really went the cash grab route. card packs, map packs, clothing, additional characters, new weapons, etc... they are going to sell so much shit on the back end, while still selling it as a $60 "full game" up front. smh.

i guess thats the new business model tho. dev's want to make money and i cant blame them if they think this will make them more money in the long run. but it sucks to be a gamer who never buys extra shit, because i just expect them to release a fully finished game, but i guess those days are gone lol. wow... just wow

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Top Bottom