• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood |OT| Shouldn't this game be Left 4 Dead?

Gtafans93

Really enjoyiong the game. Defintely opens up after you get a few more cards. But having to be always online and no true offline play at this time sucks hard. Had to go digging for some old xboxlive codes (that all worked) to play the damn thing since my live ran out. Just let the game be played with no internet or gold

MiguelItUp

That level fucked us up the first time because we didn't understand how you have to quickly push and destroy the openings, and run through certain segments. The shipyard with the ferry is the same way. Gotta run 'n gun.
Yeah, we definitely realized that after the fact. But we were like "wtf, all of a sudden the game decided to throw a constant flow of Ridden at us? Hey, alright!"

Wasn't expecting that at all at the time, haha.

Kev Kev

I spoke way too soon about the difficulty on this game...

Shit gets crazy
im hearing a lot of people say recruit is way too easy but everything above is insanely hard.

i just suck at video games, so its all difficult to me lol

im hearing a lot of people say recruit is way too easy but everything above is insanely hard.

i just suck at video games, so its all difficult to me lol
Been reading about this too. I have the game downloaded on my Series X but haven't felt the urge to play it yet. From some reviewers, I've heard that the beta version had a much better balanced veteran mode. Chances are the hardcore Left 4 Dead people played the hell out of it and told the developers it was too easy. That's just my guess though. I'll keep it on easy mode when I get around to it.

Really enjoyiong the game. Defintely opens up after you get a few more cards. But having to be always online and no true offline play at this time sucks hard. Had to go digging for some old xboxlive codes (that all worked) to play the damn thing since my live ran out. Just let the game be played with no internet or gold
I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy this game for a little while. I don't think they've fully broken away from what they did wrong with Evolve. The nail in the coffin is no mod support. If they really felt the need to hit the reset button after the disaster that was Evolve, than this was not the way to go about it. This game will absolutely not have the same shelf of what inspired it.

Kev Kev

what kind of builds have you guys had success with?

i started out going with mostly health based stuff, since i seemed to have trouble not getting my ass kicked lol. i hit the +15 health, +20% health effectiveness, +1 health when critical and stuff like that. that seemed to get me through the beginning stages until i got some cards that helped me out with weapons and specials.

form there i wanted to up the damage with my guns and be able to take out specials faster. so i loaded up on +20% reload, +20% ammo, +30% accuracy, +20% aiming, etc. just completely lop sided towards guns. and then to help with specials i added both e +20% weak spot damage and the +30% weak spot damage. those +30% cards had bigger debuffs on them, so i had to compensate with +40% stamina card and what not. and that seemed to help a lot with my killing, but now i was dying a lot, and specials were easier to take down but getting hit from ridden on all sides was really fucking me up.

now im using melee weapons with buffs, some guns buffs, coupled with healing efficiency and weak spot damage cards. and ive discovered that melee weapons are really fucking essential in this game! lol, a little late to realize that but its giving the game some depth playing around with the cards and different play styles.

how has your deck and play style change as youve played through B4B?

Forward progression is shot! I completed Act 2 twice, once on campaign and another through quickplay starting out lower levels of Act 2. Complete the entire run both times, it kicks me back to the camp and still I can't move forward to Act 3. What gives?!? I even got the little achievement emerald(on xbox) for completing Act 2 but I can't get into the next act. :(

Kev Kev

Forward progression is shot! I completed Act 2 twice, once on campaign and another through quickplay starting out lower levels of Act 2. Complete the entire run both times, it kicks me back to the camp and still I can't move forward to Act 3. What gives?!? I even got the little achievement emerald(on xbox) for completing Act 2 but I can't get into the next act. :(
ive heard this complaint a couple times now. smh. fucking developers releasing buggy and glitchy games is so annoying. i hate that its become such common place now. hopefully the tighten the game up with some updates soon. it has a ton over other graphical and performance issues on xbox one as well (i hear it runs great on PC tho)

Kev Kev

so ive made my way through most of act 3. i feel pretty confident on most of the levels in act 1 and 2, even found a couple gold skulls along the way. the story is negligible for me, so i cant really comment on how the story is going, but i guess its serviceable.

i thought i would hate the idea of revisiting levels, but the fact is that you take wildly different routes in those levels, so they really arent the same at all. so thats good! and im still having fun in general, despite the weird feeling movement/aiming, connection issues and other buggy/glitchy issues.

i also went ahead and hard wired my connection, as opposed to wi-fi, so that has helped out the connection issues a lot. but still it feels like the game just get choppy and lags far too often. they really, really need to tune up the bug and connection problems. but itll probably be months before they get it right, smh

overall, my experience is getting better with the game. the more i know the levels, the more experienced i get with weaponry and gun mods, and the more efficient i get with building card decks, the more fun the game gets. if it rn more solid it would probably be one of my favorite games of all time. which is part of what makes this game so frustrating.

RELEASE CLEANED UP PRODUCTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! this game could have been amazing, but they just HAD TO get the october releaser date. i believe the game is holding on but it would have been so much better if they didnt force this release date. hopefully enough population hangs around, but i fear they may have shot themselves in the foot for this launch, as this thread itself has slowed down considerably.

anyways, what thoughts do you guys have on the game now that its been released for a while? will this be something you come back to in a few months? intermittently now an then? or are you done forever?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Back 4 Blood implements a card deck system where you can build your own set of cards that give your characters boosts and buffs to combat hordes of zombies. Here's the ultimate melee build for Holly that feels overpowered since it keeps you from running out of stamina, over heals you and your team, and keeps you from ever losing speed.

Kev Kev

Yeah melee is almost necessary in this game. Holly and evangelo would be the two best starters for new players, in that case. I went at the game all handguns and ARs for the first week, but after trying out melee weapons and seeing how OP they are, I switched to a melee and shotgun build. Huge difference that made!

but now I’m having trouble taking out boomers (the big fat specials that puke on you), so i maybe try out a sniper build next to see if that helps taking out specials quicker and from further away.

and there are times when the game just sends waves of those mfers at you, despite turtle rock saying they nerfed that 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Kev Kev

How are servers holding up? Is it another Aliens Fireteam tradegy of no players?
I’m still finding games at the same speed as I did at launch. It’s also cross platform so having the pc population is really helping find games fast.

there are some weird hiccups network wise that happen way more than they should, and sometimes it is slows down but it’s getting better everyday, and I think it’s only gone done completely once or twice but don’t quote me on that

Last edited:

Kev Kev

someone made a really comprehensive card compendium spreadsheet. its a little hard to navigate at first, but very helpful if your curious about how many cards there are and how to get them. all the information you need is here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kuJ8hw_WQ2jY1mcLE4D8ElMYUo/edit#gid=546554503

ill add it to the OT in the card section as well

if im counting correctly, this spreadsheet says there are 375 unlockables via supply lines. these unlockables include cards, emblems, banners, spray paints, weapon skins, leg pieces, body pieces and head pieces. 21,630 supply points are required to fill out each supply line path

im roughly halfway through unlocking all the items. check out the spreadsheet and post how far youve made it through the list. im curious to see where everyone is.

happy card hunting!

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah melee is almost necessary in this game. Holly and evangelo would be the two best starters for new players, in that case. I went at the game all handguns and ARs for the first week, but after trying out melee weapons and seeing how OP they are, I switched to a melee and shotgun build. Huge difference that made!

but now I’m having trouble taking out boomers (the big fat specials that puke on you), so i maybe try out a sniper build next to see if that helps taking out specials quicker and from further away.

and there are times when the game just sends waves of those mfers at you, despite turtle rock saying they nerfed that 🤦‍♂️
I played the first 3 levels with Holly, and I was also a little surprised how effective melee was. Glad they decided to make it a viable option. I was using the knife a lot while reloading as well.

Kev Kev

I played the first 3 levels with Holly, and I was also a little surprised how effective melee was. Glad they decided to make it a viable option. I was using the knife a lot while reloading as well.
Pro tip: you can use your knife while you’re reloading, and it won’t stop the reload (you won’t see the reload animation because your knifing, of course, but the reload does indeed keep happening). It was the same in L4D.

So, if you’re getting over run by a horde, back into a corner and unload your magazine, hit reload, and then hold down the button to bash/knife (hold it down bc it will auto bash for you). Your reload will finish in the background, and then you can rinse-repeat the process until your out of the weeds. You’re almost guaranteed to take no damage (unless a specials rolls up on you).

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Jfc… the last episode of act 3, and act 4 are just ridiculous. There is nothing fun about it. It’s overwhelming, exhausting, annoying, just straight up unfair at times, and definitively the least fun levels I’ve played out of any horde shooter out there.

Awful, just awful that they thought making the game this difficult was a smart move. After I beat Act 4, I will likely never touch act 3 or 4 ever again. They pile on the corruption cards, making it completely unappealing to replay. I’ll just stick to act 1 and 2, but that sucks because there are a bunch of other fun levels in act 3, they are just too fucking over whelming with the waves of hordes, specials and ogres, and ultimately not worth the time and effort.

Ugh, fuck this new culture of video games being stupidly hard. I hate it.

Alasterion

Neo Member
Oh man... Struggling AF with the first part of Act 4.

This must be a joke!! Playing on recruit and having so much difficulties?? It's not just the fact that damage is ridiculous, but throwing packs and packs of zombies when you're trying to regroup...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down the weaponry of Back 4 Blood, including the M14, the Super 90 shotgun assault rifle, and a zombie slaying Desert Eagle.

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down the guns of Back 4 Blood and compares them to their real-life counterparts.

Kev Kev

you know, i think the whole corruption card mechanic is really flawed.

first of all, the game just becomes too difficult once you start throwing in all those corruption cards. each level adds another corruption card and by the end of the act your overwhelmed. act 1 and 2 arent too bad, but the end of act 3 and act 4 are so absurdly difficult (on the easiest setting) that i dont even want to play those acts. so im only ever playing like half of the game when i play B4B

and as far as i know, you dont get anything extra for completing levels with more corruption cards. how does that make sense? the level is significantly more difficult and time consuming the more corruption cards you have, why not reward the player with more supply points? the only obvious answer is that they want to reward the player with as little supply points as possible so they can rope them in to playing another level or two. doesnt seem balanced to me.

and finally, why cant we make our own custom games and choose which corruption cards we use? that would have been so much fun. and if you add in the idea that we should earn more supply points for adding more corruption cards, then you add a whole other game mode in your game with custom games that use certain corruption cards. it seems like such a no brainer to do that, i cant imagine what they were thinking. couple that with the fact that thy opted for a really shitty PvP Swarm mode instead of giving us campaign PvP which everyone loved and wanted back, and i have no idea what turtle rock was smoking while making this game

im still having fun with the game and plan to keep playing, but considering all my complaints about it ITT, there are some really crucial things they fucked up on, and i hope they get addressed sooner rather than later.

i cringe to think about what they think they will be able to get away with in terms of selling us DLC, extra game modes, cards, guns, and other things that affect more than just cosmetics.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

despite its flaws, im still chuggin along in this game. im mostly sticking to act 1 and 2 on recruit. anything higher than that is a crapshoot as to whether or not ill be able to finish the level (mostly because im playing with randoms who dont work together very well).

that being said, to all 5 of you out there still playing this, this video was cazy helpful in helping understand just what the damage modifiers on the cards actually do. its too much to explain in redux, so youll just have to watch the video. basically, the numbers dont behave across the board like you would expect, there are actually two different damage numbers when you shoot an enemy (one is for regular damage, the other is for weak spot).

but then things get bonkers after that and the dude breaks it down with a calculator and everything...

i have no idea what turtle rock was smoking lol, but its really helpful to know this info when working on your decks (which ive actaully been having a lot of fun with). check it out...

I play it with a few friends but it's really is an average game. Left for dead is way better.

The game uses bullshit difficulty to artificially give it legs. I'm glad I got it on £1 for a month. No way I'd pay full price for this.

Reactions: Isa

Kev Kev

heres a good video on why the game is so difficult on anything past recruit

honestly, recruit is still pretty hard, for me. i have no idea where people are coming from when they say its too easy. thats insane to me. recruit isnt easy, like not at all. its easier than veteran, sure, but it is NOT the walk in the park that some people are making it out to be. im already at the point where i dont play on anything but recruit, and only act 1 and 2, bc it gets way too fucking hard on act 3 and 4. so it feels like im only enjoying about half of the game right now lol

im honestly starting to think that they made it absurdly difficult on purpose, just to generate more buzz around the game. because other than the difficulty and lack of campaign versus, everything you see about this game has to do with how difficult it is.

anyways, this guy makes great points about there not being enough ways to counter specials...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
After having completed over half the campaign (it takes so long to find players if one wants to host their own game and continue where they left off - crossplay enabled), my overall opinion is:

- The card system is OK, but I feel like it should be more streamlined, not something a person should need to think about every round. Just have it randomly apply a card from your deck or something

- There should be a greater variety of weapons about. I have an assault rifle build, and sometimes I play through the majority of a chapter without ever coming across one

- The characters feel lifeless and inorganic compared to the casts of Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Give me them cliché zombie movie characters and their banter damnit. I don't know what they were aiming for with these characters but it ain't it

While it's good, I wish I had known it was on Game Pass before I bought and played it on Steam (too long for a refund), because it ain't AAA money good in its current state IMO.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Developer Update – We wanted to highlight the following bug fix with some additional information: “Fixed some issues related to Specials spawning.” We found an issue where Specials would frequently duplicate their spawn cards, compounding as players progressed through levels. This would often result in an unfair amount of Specials overwhelming Cleaner teams. In future patches, we are going to continue to dig into spawning issues to help further smooth out the experience.

The November 2021 Update brings quality of life updates, along with balance updates for Campaign and Swarm PvP!

Developers’ note – We’ve listened to your feedback and implemented some highly requested quality of life updates. Follow along with our Trello board (http://bit.ly/B4BTrello) to track upcoming new features, balance changes, and major bug fixes. Note that our Trello Board, and this list of fixes, are not exhaustive.

• All Cleaners are now immediately available to use. Players are no longer required to finish the The Devil’s Return – The Crossing campaign chapter to unlock Doc, Karlee, Hoffman, and Jim
  • Completing any campaign chapter now unlocks all previous chapters
  • In-Game Voice Chat can now be disabled in the Audio Options
  • Added mute icon to HUD for players with voice chat off or who have been muted
  • First Time User Experience now sends players directly to Fort Hope
  • Additional post-round statistics added for Swarm PvP
  • Added a “Mute All” button to the scoreboard in Swarm PvP
  • First aid cabinets now show a preview of how much health they heal
  • Players now recover health while inside Fort Hope
    • This change does not affect players in the shooting range
  • Added the /all message command allowing players to send messages to the Global Chat Channel

CAMPAIGN UPDATES​

• General
    • Weapons no longer revert to their default loadout when continuing a run in Training (previously named “Solo Campaign”)
    • Bots now use defibrillators more effectively
    • Improved character behavior when dropping and picking up items in certain locations
    • Flashbang now affects Common Ridden that are climbing on hit
    • Ogres are no longer outlined for Karlee after burrowing underground
    • Chapter Specific Updates
      • Blue Dog Hollow: Bad Seeds – Destroying the nest in Nightmare difficulty now spawns an endless horde
      • The Armory: The Handy Man – Bob’s Arm now appears in the scanning animation while the player has “Auto Select New Weapons” on
      • Dr. Roger’s Neighborhood “Gather Research” objective adjusted to account for solo players
  • Card Updates
    • Negative ammo capacity effects from cards now apply instantly after the card is drawn
    • Batter Up – Melee Damage adjusted to 40% from 50%
    • Brazen – Stamina efficiency adjusted to 20% from 30%
    • Breakout – Decreased use time to 3 seconds from 4 seconds
    • Face Your Fears – Adjusted to 2 Temporary Health from 3
    • Fresh Bandage – Now instantly applies its trauma heal effect when spawning into the safe room it is selected in
    • Ignore The Pain – Now restores health instead of providing Temporary Health
    • Inspiring Sacrifice – Heal decreased to 20 over 15 seconds from 25 over 20 seconds
    • Mean Drunk – Melee Damage adjusted to 60% from 75%
    • Meth Head – Stamina efficiency adjusted to 30% from 40%
    • Money Grubbers – Now grants 3 bonus copper per stack (from 5) and a max bonus of 75 (from 100)
    • Spikey Bits – Melee Damage adjusted to 20% from 25%
    • True Grit – Heal increased to 10 from 8
  • Balance Updates
    • Quick player-input movements are now smoother
    • Rebalanced Supply Point rewards for all campaign chapters in all difficulties
    • Adjusted Supply Points earned for completing the Speed Run objective
    • Readjusted Abomination health values on Nightmare difficulty
    • Players who are grabbed by a Crusher are now immune to friendly fire damage while grabbed and for 1.5 seconds after being released
    • Removed pipe bombs from Mom and Karlee bot loadouts
  • Ridden Updates
    • Breaker
      • Reduced the melee recovery times by 1.5 seconds
      • Reduced Leap recovery time by 1 second
      • Reduced Leap cooldown to 3 from 5 seconds
      • Reduced the bonus damage for Chest and Leg weakspots to 500 from 1000
      • Reduced the Taunt and Horde summon animation times by 0.5 seconds
      • Reduced the Swarm Cloud shrink time to 75 seconds from 90
      • Breaker leap speed reduced to 1500 from 2000
      • Breaker Horde call reduced to 60 seconds from 120
      • Breaker weakspot bonus damage to 1000 from 2000
    • Ogre
      • Health increased to 17000 from 16500
      • Chest weak spot extra damage reduced to 500 from 2000
    • Reeker
      • Movement speed no longer slowed by bullets

SWARM PVP UPDATES​

• General
    • Bruiser’s Frenzy ability in Swarm PvP can now be canceled by pressing the button to trigger it again
      • [PC] Default hotkey: mouse right-click
      • [PS4/PS5] Default action button: R2
      • [XBOX] Default button: RT
  • Card Updates
    • Adrenaline Fueled and Meth Head added to Card Pool
    • Breakout – Decreased use time to 3 seconds from 4 seconds
    • Face Your Fears – Now grants 2 Temporary Health from 3
    • Ignore The Pain – Now increases Melee Damage against Mutations
  • Balance Updates
    • General
      • Tuning adjustments to make quick movements less abrupt to player acceleration movement
    • Cleaners
      • Cleaner team now receives a handicap bonus of 10% damage increase for each Cleaner missing from the team in Swarm PvP
      • Cleaners get a default 25% increase to Aim Down Sights speed and 25% increase to weapon swap speed in Swarm PvP
    • Ridden
      • Swarm starting radius reduced to 30 meters from 45 meters
      • Swarm transition reduced to 90 seconds from 120 seconds
      • Crusher
        • Health increased to 700 from 675
      • Hocker
        • Health reduced from 90 to 80
        • Harpoon (ability) cannot be cocked or fired while the character is in the air
        • Attack projectile speed to 2000 from 2500
        • Attack projectile miss cooldown to 4.5 from 3
        • Evolution 2 reduced to 20% from 25%
      • Reeker
        • No longer slowed by bullets
      • Tallboy
        • Attack knockback increased
        • Health decreased to 600 from 625
        • Overhead melee attack swing’s radius to 140 centimeters from 160 centimeters
        • Offense: Level 3 Damage+ bonus reduced to 30% from 35%
    • Mutations
      • Infected Wounds now reduces healing by 2% from 0.5% per hit from Common Ridden. The effect stacks up to 40% from 20%, and has a limited duration of 20 seconds which is reset upon each new hit

WEAPON UPDATES​

• Secondary Weapons
    • Secondary Weapons no longer require a reload in the next safe room
    • Weapon swap animation now displays properly when equipping different Secondary Weapons
  • Melee Weapons
    • Bat movement speed increased to 410 from 400
    • Bats must do 50% more damage to stumble Ridden
    • Axe movement speed increased to 395 from 380
    • Axe damage reduced to 70 from 85
    • Axe stumble damage scale reduced to 0.5 from 1
    • Hatchet damage reduced to 40 from 50
    • Hatchet stumble damage scale reduced to 0.5 from 1
    • Machete movement speed increased to 425 from 420

CONTROLLER UPDATES​

• Controller Options Changes
    • Added linear and exponential options to Aim Down Sights Target Snapping
    • Increased granularity of tuning Dead Zones for controllers from 10% increments to 1% increments (default adjusted to 13)
    • Revamped “Legacy” controller preset to better match other co-op FPS titles
  • Made improvements to Aim Assist
  • Aim assist is now more stable when jumping and aiming from above
  • [PS5] Reduced trigger resistance for Melee weapons
  • [PS5] Burst Fire weapon trigger effects now properly match rate of fire

ACCESSIBILITY UPDATES​

• Added “Stamina Breath” to Audio Options
    • When toggled “Off”, heavy breathing sound effects that play when your character runs out of stamina are muted
  • All red text should now change colors properly when a new color is selected for Red Elements in the Custom Color Blind Mode
  • Gas cans now change color when red elements are changed in the Color Blind Options
  • [XBOX] Guts that birds eat are no longer marked green
  • Health bar and ammo indicator now change color when Color Blind Mode is set to Protanopia or Custom

UI UPDATES​

• Renamed “Solo Campaign” to “Training”
    • Developers’ note – We noticed players were interested in keeping a practice mode they could play around in prior to joining other campaign difficulties, so we’ve renamed this mode to make it more clear that this is a great way to join the fray without the pressure of playing with other players. In Training, all cards are unlocked, so we encourage you to experiment with a variety of card combinations in your decks. Note that in December we will add in an Offline Mode for solo Campaign progression.
    • Training can’t be started when multiple people are in your Fort Hope instance. Must be playing alone
    • “Solo Decks” renamed to “Training Decks”
  • “Start/Continue Run” renamed to “Play/Continue Online”
  • Added differentiation between Cleaner and Ridden Input Layouts in the Gamepad controls in the Options menu
  • Made improvements to navigation in Personalization and Accomplishments menus on gamepad
  • Music no longer cuts off when the player navigates between tabs in the Options menu
  • The Friends tab no longer redirects back to the first page when a user’s friend connects to or disconnects from the game
  • Weapon previews in Supply Lines now rotate properly
  • [Steam] Steam Big Picture’s Virtual Keyboard now opens when a user selects a text box
  • Fixed an issue with mouse click alignment being off on sliders in the Options menu
  • Addressed performance issue related to having a large friends list

BUG FIXES

• Campaign
    • Cards
      • Heavy Hitter – Effects now properly apply when killing Ridden with a melee attack
    • General
      • Fixed some issues related to Specials spawning
      • Fixed achievements and accomplishments not unlocking if you are dead at the end of the mission
      • Fixed friendly fire removing Jim’s passive ability
      • Fixed a bug where all Trauma damage was blocked as long as you had 1 temp health
      • Fixed an issue that was causing the visibility of Sleepers to display incorrectly with Karlee’s ability to sense nearby hazards and mutations
      • “Waiting for Available Respawn” message will no longer appear on UI when joining a match for the first time in spectator mode
      • Fixed issue where the horde timer was not resetting after a team wipe
      • Fixed an issue where the Hag could become unresponsive if players kited her in her hunting phase without drawing aggro
      • Fixed an issue where acid covered (from Retch vomit) and pus covered (from any Reeker death explosion) were using the same icon
      • Rescue pods no longer disappear for players that reconnect to a game they had disconnected from
      • Objective counters now update properly for players with the Vendor box UI open
      • Fixed an issue where only one team upgrade would appear for purchase in the Vendor after players purchased all available loot upgrades to the highest tier
      • Fixed player explosive dialogue playing when the player is damaged by the explosion in game
      • Fixed issue where the damage source for players knocked prone or killed by the Ogre’s stomp was shown in the kill feed as “Unknown.”
      • Fixed an issue with weapons not displaying correctly in first person for players that selected multiple characters before locking their choice in on the Character Select screen
      • Players can no longer see out of bounds when dying to fall damage or drowning in water
      • Fixed an issue where red kill hitmarkers were not displaying consistently in online games
      • Corrected bullet shells’ behavior when a player uses their Aim Down Sights with a High Zoom Scope equipped
      • Fixed an issue where the message “Run Failed” would incorrectly display at the end of the level if the player completed the level with no continues remaining in Solo Campaign (now known as “Training”)
      • Corrected Ogre’s tumor toss behavior towards players it can’t reach
      • Cleaners can no longer be picked up from ledge hang by a player underneath them
      • Fixed an issue where the character card would not be active after a player late joined into a game and transitioned to the next campaign chapter
      • Fix for Windows 11 cutscene and loading screen related crash
    • Search and Rescue – Clean Sweep
      • Fixed an issue where Breaker SFX continued to play after the Breaker was killed.
    • The Armory – The Handy Man
      • Bob’s Arm now appears in the scanning animation while the player has “Auto Select New Weapons” on in The Armory – The Handy Man
    • Remnants – A Friend in Need
      • Fixed an issue that caused a second instance of the “Charred Ridden” card to be dealt by the Game Director when opening the Morgue
    • Remnants – Making the Grade
      • Fixed an issue where the Ogre stopped tracking the targeted player and became stuck while trying to despawn
    • Dr. Rogers’ Neighborhood – Farther Afield
      • Fixed an issue where the Breaker did not spawn when its Director Card was played
  • Swarm PvP
    • Player Ridden spawn timers are now visible to teammates while in ghost mode in Swarm PvP
    • Leaver penalties no longer apply in private PVP matches
    • Fixed a bug where all Trauma damage was blocked as long as you had 1 temp health
    • Swarm PvP Penalty message now displays correct penalty timer
    • Fixed Temporary Health deteriorating while players are in the safe room
    • Fixed UI messaging informing players that the game can be left without penalty in private Swarm PvP games
      • Private Swarm PvP games can be left without penalty at all times
    • Playable Stinger variants can no longer spawn into the world mid -leap in Swarm PvP
    • Player Stingers and their variants are now properly stunned by flashbangs while leaping in Swarm PvP
    • Fixed an issue in Swarm PvP where Ridden Users could spawn closer than intended to Cleaners at different height levels
    • Fixed an issue where acid covered (from Retch vomit) and pus covered (from any Reeker death explosion) were using the same icon
    • Fixed player explosive dialogue playing when the player is damaged by the explosion in game
    • Fixed an issue where the camera would tilt for Ridden players after loading into Plan B – Trailer Trashed in Swarm PvP
    • Fixed an issue where red kill hitmarkers were not displaying consistently in online games
    • Fixed an issue that caused bullet shells to collide with the player’s gun when aiming down sights with a High Zoom Scope equipped
    • Fixed an issue with weapons not displaying correctly in first person for players who selected multiple characters before locking in their choice on the Character Select screen
    • Ridden players now hear Retch ping dialogue from player Cleaners in Swarm PvP
    • Player-controlled Stalkers no longer get released directly on top of Cleaners that use Breakout in Swarm PvP
  • Controller Updates
    • Fixed a bug with Aim Assist forcing 100% aim magnetism
    • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused a player’s field of vision to jitter when using Aim Down Sights
    • Fixed a bug that Aim Assist to prioritize Gas Cans and Propane Tank over more hostile targets
    • Fixed a bug that caused player’s camera to snap if they moved very slowly using a controller

MUXY – TWITCH EXTENSION​

• New Features
    • Name a Riddenfeature enabled for broadcasters who have access to Bits
      • Players can spend Bits to have their name show up in the kill feed page on Twitch
      • Broadcasters can disable the feature or change the minimum Bits required to use the feature from their extension configuration
      • Bits spent by viewers benefit the broadcaster
      • Viewers’ names will show up in the kill feed when their special Mutation is killed
      • Viewers who use Bits to name a Ridden will be queued between levels and runs
    • Mutation upgrade levels are now displayed for broadcaster when on Ridden team in Swarm PvP
  • Bug Fixes
    • Fixed localization of Difficulty and Map name in extension
    • Fixed up card display bug on two cards that used key binds as part of their text
    • Fixed several issues where Fort Hope would not show “Waiting for game to start” Status
    • Windows Store builds now properly display the option to link extension to game client
    • Fixed some display bugs for cards with a lot of accompanying text

Last edited:

Kev Kev

You gotta be shitting me, did they just balance the game more towards the Ridden ? AM I READING THIS RIGHT. Holy hell what are the devs smoking ?
lol, yeah pretty much. people are pissed about it. there apparently some really helpful things in there. but i saw enough buffs to the ridden in the update that it just had me smh. like, did they even play the game? why would you buff anything on the riddens side? lol, and on top of that you actually nerf the player a bit. what is going on over there?

the balance in this game is pretty bad, and thats being nice about it. hopefully they dial it in one of these days. there is a good game in here somewhere, but yeah this update has me scratching my head.

• Thoughtful

Kev Kev

so there are a lot of people saying the patch broke the game, and it was already kind of broken. lots of people saying they are done with B4B and wont come back till they fix it. there are a few out there still defending turtle rock, but they are being drowned out by pretty everyone else who is pissed off about the player nerfs and ridden buffs.

smh. i just dont get it.

recruit is already a nightmare if you ask me. i cant imagine what people who play on veteran or nightmare are experiencing. doesnt sound like fun tho, thats or sure. hell the only reason im still playing recruit is to try and finish up all the supply lines. after that, i really wont have much else to do in the game so... im just gonna enjoy it for another month or two and then ill be out. ill come back and check it out every few months or so.

at this point i think its safe to say B4B isnt what people wanted it to be, and a few more wrong steps from turtle rock could have gamers looking back on it as somewhat of a disaster.

Kev Kev

a couple tweets where they address trauma damage and special spawn concerns... feedback seems to be positive but i havent tried it out for myself yet. and people are still complaining about the 100 other things they should have addressed but didnt. not to mention the fact that they buffed ridden and specials and still havent addressed why tf they did that, smh...

• Thoughtful

MacReady13

Fuck me seriously... I am waiting for this game to drop in price to jump in and thank FUCK I am seeing these patch notes. Honestly, how does ANY dev release a game as it is and then justify with these simply massive patches? Why weren't these things included pre release ready for day 1? Why have we become beta testers for these clowns? They complain about not getting paid correctly and crunch and all that bullshit but from the available evidence, how much work do they actually do releasing half baked products like this (and GTA "definitive" edition)???

Kev Kev

i know its only been a month (but to be fair they HAVE had 1 patch/update) but the balance and difficulty in this game (mostly bc of the insane special spawn rate) is completely fucked. there are a handful of positive and neutral comments out there, but every tweet this dev makes is met with the same complaints. wtf turtle rock? why did you make the game harder with the patch? you are literally losing players over how absurdly difficult the game can be at times. its to the point where its not even that much fun, its just annoying, and people are leaving the game.

heres a small sampling of the twitter comments, which reflect what you will read in any other internet gaming community...

WDffxvW.png
L5SITxP.png
4tGfCNY.png
BXRAIS6.png
OlGGyhU.png
qgjZ8C8.png

^lmao at the last one!

The product feels like they made a game, and had no idea how to balance it or they outsourced QA testing so much that they don't know how the game works.

Xdrive05

Bumping this 'cause I noticed it's 30% off on the Steam sale right now. Is there still a consensus that B4B is an unbalanced attempt to improve on L4D2? Is that still the case?

I'd consider biting at $42 US if it's in the same ballpark of fun as L4D2, but if it's fundamentally worse or broken in some way, then nope.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Bumping this 'cause I noticed it's 30% off on the Steam sale right now. Is there still a consensus that B4B is an unbalanced attempt to improve on L4D2? Is that still the case?

I'd consider biting at $42 US if it's in the same ballpark of fun as L4D2, but if it's fundamentally worse or broken in some way, then nope.
definitely read through the thread and check out some videos of gameplay and people criticisms. there is a lot of issues with the game

as far as a quick run down of my personal pros and cons...

+ its fun! when its running smooth and the way its supposed to (and not spamming special infected), the game is is a blast.
+ i hear it runs likes a dream on PC
+ the cards can be fun to play around with crazy builds
+ it has all of the left 4 dead thing: outlined players, a few slots for items, special infected that are similar to what you find in L4D like horde shooters, safe rooms, caches, hidden stuff, etc. it is very L4Dish
+ i like the cosmetics and unlockables. and they dont feel stupid hard to unlock, they feel like im earning extra stuff as i play through the game normally.
+ it finds games quickly (in my experience)

- it can be glitchy and buggy. there is this consistent "skip" that happens every 90 seconds or something. i notice it like clockwork and its still present in the game now. so its like there is some graphical shit AND network shit happening, and its a REAL drag when i get nailed by a special because the game lagged out or whatever.
- they spawn way too many special infected at one time. its prob the biggest complaint among the community and they have yet to fix it. in fact, they thought they fixed it in a patch, but its still happening. theyve acknowledged that its not fixed and say they will fix it int he next patch
- the regular infected will also spawn from every random direction. so there isnt a lot of fun choke points like there was in L4D.
- as a result last two cons i listed, the game is unforgivngly, unfairly difficult. players are not happy and a good chunk of the launch day community has already left and moved on to other game
-in addition to NOT fixing the special spawning bug, they also nerfed some player attributes while buffing certain ridden and special infected attributes, making the game even MORE challenging. it is by fay te most head scratching move theyve made so far.

as far as i know they still havent released the next patch, so hopefully a lot fo the cons get addressed and the game gets balanced out. but id wait a few months at least for them to get thigns dialed in. and if you do decide to uy, just keep in mind that they arestill wrking on balancing the game and promise to fix it as soon as possible

hope that helped some. good luck!

PS def play it on game pass if you can. just in case you dont like what you play you wont lose much money

JayK47

Played this yesterday with 2 friends and a friendly bot. It is a bloated games as a service version of the Left 4 Dead games. At it's core, it is pretty solid. It took a while to understand the card system. The card system is clearly meant to get you to grind or pay for better cards. The game is scaled pretty high for difficulty and you essentially need good cards to win. I hate the continue system that resets most everything if your party dies too much. Not to mention it wastes more time as it kicks you back to "lobby". I had a really good build for the second act and it made it almost too easy. For the third act, I had a shit build and was practically useless on the team. Your success depends on good cards and randomly dropped gear. I guess the randomness is nice for those who want to replay the shit out of it and grind all day, but if you want to play through it once, you may get shit gear and cards and it makes it much harder.

JayK47

It is on Gamepass. That is how I am playing it. I would not buy it for $42, much less full retail.

Xeaker

Ey, me and my brother started playing the game, we picked Veteran and we can't beat the second level.
We always die near the end there the ogre appears again. Can you farm better equipment in this game like in Vermintide?
I think it is very unfair that there are spawning so many elite monsters.

Ribi

Jackass on Reddit said he'd bet money that this game wouldn't have 1000 people playing in after a month. He then proceeded to deflect when I asked him to pay up. Good times. Vs when

Kev Kev

with the state the game is in, its hard to believe they had the nerve to post this...

i mean, im not the type of person to beat someone up for not quite hitting the mark. if i met any of these people in person, id shake their hand and say "yeah guys gave a hell of an effort. and im sure you were given shitty, challenging, near impossible to work with circumstances by your publisher or share holders, and im sure you developed the best game you could with all the tools you had."

and thats all nice and well, but unfortunately, at the end of the day the game just isnt a solid, finished product. it is quite broken from a fundamental standpoint, and i sucks for the people who worked hard on it, and im sure were not given enough time, money or resources to do so. but thats just how corporate bullshit works

as expected, twitter users are handing them their asses for the vote begging tweet. i'll pass up the inflammatory, insulting tweets and just post this one, which i thought was well said...
IPeCgrG.png

Kev Kev

My god man, I just looked at the patch notes and it’s like a complete overhaul.

It’s hard to believe they are fixing, tweaking and and some cases fundamentally changing how certain mechanics work in the game, over 2 months after it’s release. 🤦‍♂️

I have no fucking idea what this game is going to feel like. It appears they nerfed and buffed the player and the ridden. If you ask me there still should have been no nerfs to the player and no buffs to the ridden, and I can’t say I trust them to know what they are doing given the circumstances.

Oh well, I’ll give it a go after they release the patch on the 16th. I have a bad feeling that they are going to have a nightmare of a time trying to balance this game with all the cards and shit they have to worry about. What a cluster fuck…

Last edited:
Top Bottom