• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AYA releases trailers for AYANEO 2 and AYANEO GEEK handheld-dockable gaming PC's. AMD based ($949-$1,549 based on config)

ayaneo-2-geek-1.png

AYANEO 2 TRAILER

ayaneo-2-1.png

AYANEO-EN5.png

Pictured above, Neogaf user & gamer caught cheating on his wife having an affair with plastic electronic gaming handheld AyaNeo2. They are now divorced, his name withheld due to policy.

AYANEO GEEK TRAILER

ayaneo%2Fimg%2Fproduct%2FGEEK%2Fab11.png

ayaneo%2Fimg%2Fproduct%2FGEEK%2Fab12.png

Play Halo 4 as you remember it on the 360 10 years ago in performance.

Both AyaNeo 2 and GEEK will feature the Zen 3+ AMD Ryzen 6800U octa-core APU with 16 threads and a 28W TDP. It also features the Radeon 680M graphics running on the rDNA 2 architecture. The Radeon 680M features 12 compute units and boasts to have 68 percent of the performance of the RX 6500M.

The AyaNeo GEEK is available in Black and Crystal Purple. It comes with an 800p screen for the Black variant and a 1200p screen for the Crystal Purple. The AyaNeo 2, on the other hand, will only come with a 1200p screen. Both come packaged with a case cover, screen protector, docking station, and wireless controller.

Prices per configuration
  • AyaNeo GEEK 16GB/512GB (Black) - USD 949
  • AyaNeo GEEK 16GB/1TB (Crystal Purple) - USD 1,169
  • AyaNeo GEEK 16GB/2TB (Crystal Purple) - USD 1,269
  • AyaNeo GEEK 32GB/2TB (Crystal Purple) - USD 1,369

• AyaNeo 2 16GB/512GB - USD 1,099
  • AyaNeo 2 16GB/1TB - USD 1,299
  • AyaNeo 2 32GB/2TB - USD 1,499
  • AyaNeo 2 x B.Duck - USD 1,349
  • AyaNeo 2 x Retro Power - USD 1,549

These have decent specs, although still has similar weaknesses to the Steam Deck, however these cost quite a bit more. Even the cheaper "budget" Geek handheld is still $949 on the low end which is several hundreds dollars more than the SD, the Logitech, and a few other of these handheld to TV machines.

I think the Geek should have been marginally more powerful than the SD and priced no more than $100 more at the top. This looks good on paper but this will be a really niche device.

But for those who don't mind the price you are getting some pretty good specs for a handheld even if a bit overpriced. Batter life is still an issue but that's to be expected.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
please chill with the steam deck comparisons for anyone whos gonna reply to this
valve can afford to subsidize the cost since they have the most popular PC storefront at their disposal. Aya does not. pricing this at 400/350 would be a death sentence to their business

Last edited:
please chill with the steam deck comparisons for anyone whos gonna reply to this
valve can afford to subsidize the cost since they have the most popular PC storefront at their disposal. Aya does not. pricing this at 400/350 would be a death sentence to their business

There are other handhelds that are cheaper than this that are comparable tot he GEEK model. Also if Valve was going all in on being a lost leader they wouldn't be moving so quick to increase production, they clearly have decent margins even if it's not all profit.

$949 for what you get with the barebones geek model is overpriced no ifs or ands.

PsyEd

1. Receive treasure map for ayaneo 2 and take annoying anti gamer wife on the "treasure hunt" advising her we'll find "gold"
2. Find ayaneo 2 (made in P.R.C) as per map location
3. Some lost random angry furry kidnaps her as I was playing it for an hour to test battery life
4. ?????
5. PROFIT !

Banned
There are other handhelds that are cheaper than this that are comparable tot he GEEK model. Also if Valve was going all in on being a lost leader they wouldn't be moving so quick to increase production, they clearly have decent margins even if it's not all profit.

$949 for what you get with the barebones geek model is overpriced no ifs or ands.

Valve doesn't make its money by selling the Steam Deck is the point. they want to get new customers onto their store.

Aya makes zero money from your purchase after you bought the system. meaning they need to make all their money by selling a niche piece of hardware.

even if Valve sell the Deck with profit they don't rely on those sales alone, it's just another way to broaden the spread of their store.
so say $50 of profit selling the Deck might be enough for Valve to stay afloat, but not for Aya

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just weird that so many are pushing the dedicated portable home gaming space........except for Microsoft and Sony. I guess they are waiting for streaming to take it over.

kubricks

If releasing a product with similar pricing against the competitor means death sentence to the business itself, then it's time to re-evaluate the whole business model.

Banned
Just weird that so many are pushing the dedicated portable home gaming space........except for Microsoft and Sony. I guess they are waiting for streaming to take it over.

my bet is still on Microsoft waiting for the Series S die shrink to make a Series S Handheld version.

currently the Series S draws about 75w while playing games.
some of these handhelds have 30w to 35w modes.
so once the Series S APU has a revision that draws 35w it's easy to convert it into a handheld.

and AMD is really big on efficiency with every new RDNA revision. RDNA3 has a 53% performance per watt improvement already.

and I mean, it would be a handheld that, just like those PC handhelds, would instantly have a game library of thousands of games from the start, with guaranteed support until the end of the console generation.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
my bet is still on Microsoft waiting for the Series S die shrink to make a Series S Handheld version.

currently the Series S draws about 75w while playing games.
some of these handhelds have 30w to 35w modes.
so once the Series S APU has a revision that draws 35w it's easy to convert it into a handheld.

and AMD is really big on efficiency with every new RDNA revision. RDNA3 has a 53% performance per watt improvement already.

Now that would be an interesting product if they can get the price right. Would probably give Steam Deck a run for its money with the added value of Game Pass and xCloud. Damn....I want that now.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I could tell who made this thread by looking at the title.

Either way, who buys these products? Aside from the youtube shills and a few enthusiasts I cant see a big market for these but surely there is as more keep coming out.

Im happy with my deck fwiw so not interested.

Banned
Now that would be an interesting product if they can get the price right. Would probably give Steam Deck a run for its money with the added value of Game Pass and xCloud. Damn....I want that now.

I bet they could get it to a price somewhere between the S and the X
Slap a decent IPS 1080p screen on there, maybe have a USB-C connector that supports HDMI out via a dock even, and they have a full upgrade to the regular Series S as well as an upgrade path for current Series S owners.

Topher

Gold Member
I bet they could get it to a price somewhere between the S and the X
Slap a decent IPS 1080p screen on there, maybe have a USB-C connector that supports HDMI out via a dock even, and they have a full upgrade to the regular Series S as well as an upgrade path for current Series S owners.

That's what I was thinking. Sell the dock as an accessory like Steam Deck does and use that margin to eat into the overall cost. Then you've got a ton of other accessories to license like carrying cases and whatnot. I think it could do well.

Comandr

I'm so conflicted. I've been eying ayaing this for a while. My journey down the rabbit hole started with the AYN Odin Pro. The thing is amazing. But it made me want to play more than just android and emulated games. While the thing can dual boot, it's not a pretty process. I ended up preordering the Loki Max for a cool $650 with my backer discount. God only knows when the damn thing will get made and shipped though. In my months wait, I've been looking at the offerings from both Aya and GPD. $1200 ish seems like the going rate for one of these things.

On one hand I like that the AYANEO 2 is a little bigger. Ergonomically, it looks more comfortable to hold for long durations. If I had one complaint about the Odin Pro, it's that it's so thin, my hands tend to cramp after a while. It's my understanding that the Loki Max will be significantly thicker to accommodate thermals and all that and I hope that alleviates the issue.

But then you look at the GPD Win 4 and - I mean the thing speaks for itself. The design is great and features tons of "nice to haves." They mentioned in one of their youtube videos that if you ever have to mess with the bios, a hardware keyboard will be necessary, and they're right. It would suck having to plug in a keyboard or wireless dongle. It defeats the purpose of portability if you're ever out and about and have to mess with any of that god forbid. I suspect that this will come at a price.

The wait is hard. I wish there were more hands on impressions. I want to see how SteamOS runs on these things.

ksdixon

I hope to Christ it turns out the GPD Win 4 has a touchscreen, lte/4g for Windows and ckickable LS/RS.

Honestly it it has all of those, I think it can replace my laptop/smartphone, console in one. Touchscreen covers mindless scroll browsing, lte covers no WiFi signalh when traveling, ckickable LS/RS mean better game inputs.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If releasing a product with similar pricing against the competitor means death sentence to the business itself, then it's time to re-evaluate the whole business model.
their expertise is literally in making PC handhelds. What do you want them to do, usurp steam so they can then subsidize the cost of these AYANEO products?

Valve just has more money at their hand and gets a boatload of it every day, thats why the deck is so cheap.

Kokoloko85

Yep.
The model is there, no need to invest 100‘s of millions on studios for portable only games. Just play a downgraded version of the their currently library on an 720-800-900p screen. Steam and Nintendo get it. Not sure why Xbox or PS aren’t joining in. Maybe when the tech and battery life is better.

COD on the go. God of War Ragnarok on the go. Starfield on the go. All would be huge. Would be a miss if they dont

Because they aren't crazy. They know the Switch is a lightening in the bottle and they see how unlike the Wii, the clones cashing in on the Switch aren't anywhere near as successful in the market place in units or profits. The adoption isn't there. Logitech/Tencent is showing the cloud gaming versions aren't appealing to consumers either.

There's no point in spending R&D for a hybrid PSVITA2 or a Xbox Portable which would have low margins and probably not be profitable, they would probably have problems dropping prices and probably wouldn't, and they would have to develop games that take advantage of such machines which costs money.

Sony already loses enough money on their phones as is, including likely their new "gaming" phone and phone is a market where people WOULD spend or finance $1200. Not on a PSVITA 2 hybrid that can connect to a TV with 2 hour battery life.

In fact, gaming phones are a bigger market than the dockable handhelds in profits. The Switch is really the only thing making that market "seem" like it's got a lot of profits (it doesn't) and there's something to cash-in on but there isn't.

ROG Phone 6 probably brings in more pocketable cash than the Steam Deck.

I hope to Christ it turns out the GPD Win 4 has a touchscreen, lte/4g for Windows and ckickable LS/RS.

Honestly it it has all of those, I think it can replace my laptop/smartphone, console in one. Touchscreen covers mindless scroll browsing, lte covers no WiFi signalh when traveling, ckickable LS/RS mean better game inputs.

Made a thread on the GPD Win 4 announcement here https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gpd-...ram-ryzen-7-6800u-2tb-ssd-windows-11.1641450/

Topher

Gold Member
Because they aren't crazy. They know the Switch is a lightening in the bottle and they see how unlike the Wii, the clones cashing in on the Switch aren't anywhere near as successful in the market place in units or profits. The adoption isn't there. Logitech/Tencent is showing the cloud gaming versions aren't appealing to consumers either.

There's no point in spending R&D for a hybrid PSVITA2 or a Xbox Portable which would have low margins and probably not be profitable, they would probably have problems dropping prices and probably wouldn't, and they would have to develop games that take advantage of such machines which costs money.

Sony already loses enough money on their phones as is, including likely their new "gaming" phone and phone is a market where people WOULD spend or finance $1200. Not on a PSVITA 2 hybrid that can connect to a TV with 2 hour battery life.

In fact, gaming phones are a bigger market than the dockable handhelds in profits. The Switch is really the only thing making that market "seem" like it's got a lot of profits (it doesn't) and there's something to cash-in on but there isn't.

Yes, because ROG doesn't have an ecosystem in which to subsidize handhelds like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or even Steam. That's the case for most phone manufacturers. They are playing in Google and Apple's ecosystems. If Microsoft and Sony just don't see these devices expanding their ecosystems enough then that is one thing, but I doubt it has anything to do with margins on the device itself.

Ozriel

M$FT

There's really nothing they can do, tbh.
Sony can't afford to make another handheld that isn't a portable PC, and anything they or MS makes that's capable of running Steam will just be used primarily for Steam games. So making a low margin device that'll only serve to funnel profits to Steam.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony can't afford to make another handheld that isn't a portable PC, and anything they or MS makes that's capable of running Steam will just be used primarily for Steam games. So making a low margin device that'll only serve to funnel profits to Steam.

Why couldn't they both create mobile versions of their console operating systems?

Yes, because ROG doesn't have an ecosystem in which to subsidize handhelds like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or even Steam.

You must have misread.

So they wouldn't NEED to subsidize. Steam Deck is likely low margin little to no profit. Same with all the other dockables, and there's low adoption to in unit sales.

There's absolutely no benefit to Microsoft or Sony chasing after a drowned whale that is already dead.

So they lose money on R&D, production, making games take advantage of it, marketing, retail, where they can't make back money because there's not enough units to go around, and there's no margins for profit so they are going to take a loss?

They are already doing that with their home consoles, where there is units to grow around and there can be some benefit to the margins which can eventually become profitable.

The reason why the gaming phone industry si so large, even for cheap sub-$500 gaming phones, is because it's a more desired product to most consumers, it's not a segment with one product that's a lightning in a bottle. You have sales and profits on the hardware, or enough units going around to where you can earn money elsewhere even if the core device didn't make profit. It's one of the reasons why Sony opted to go with a gaming phone coming WITH a dock device, instead of going the dockable handheld model. It also sells the dock device separately for people who have similar sized phones that can use it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I just don’t see the point in spending so much money on a handheld. The reality is Steam is good enough, and that’s all that matters.

This is going to be DOA.

Topher

Gold Member
You must have misread.

So they wouldn't NEED to subsidize. Steam Deck is likely low margin little to no profit. Same with all the other dockables, and there's low adoption to in unit sales.

I didn't misread anything. That is the exact difference I'm highlighting. Devices with ecosystems don't NEED high margins like phone makers do.

I didn't misread anything. That is the exact difference I'm highlighting. Devices with ecosystems don't NEED high margins like phone makers do.

Several of the gaming phones have low margins and have ecosystems. You're trying to act like all the gaming phones are in one category. I literally gave you an example of both, ROG and Xperia.

Fredrik

That’s one odd trailer with the long Jurrasic Park start and the kid getting spanked to tears and the master controller SF player mashing the buttons. Looks like good tech though.

Topher

Gold Member
Several of the gaming phones have low margins and have ecosystems. You're trying to act like all the gaming phones are in one category. I literally gave you an example of both, ROG and Xperia.

Those are not closed ecosystems so we are not talking about the same thing at all.

Those are not closed ecosystems so we are not talking about the same thing at all.

What does this even mean? Several of the dockable handhelds are open ecosystems. My point is that the dockable handheld segments has little profit or adoptions for Microsoft and SOny to enter.

Topher

Gold Member
What does this even mean? Several of the dockable handhelds are open ecosystems. My point is that the dockable handheld segments has little profit or adoptions for Microsoft and SOny to enter.

Right. And I agree with that. My point is that if MS or Sony entered into the dedicated handheld gaming system market then it would be with a completely closed ecosystem so that they can sell at near cost with profits coming from game and accessory sales.

Right. And I agree with that. My point is that if MS or Sony entered into the dedicated handheld gaming system market then it would be with a completely closed ecosystem so that they can sell at near cost with profits coming from game and accessory sales.

Yes, although that's precisely the reason why they won't consider such a thing imo, because there isn't enough adoption or money they can make doing so.

There isn't a good plan for that market segment yet that makes it viable. We have 2 or 3 new ones every other week but they end up duds that people forget about each time.

ksdixon

Portable ps4

Ozriel

M$FT
Why couldn't they both create mobile versions of their console operating systems?

That would definitely infuriate all of GAF. Imagine the discussion of Series S ‘holding back’, then apply that a device even weaker than that to meet thermal limits.

At least going with a mobile PC means they could just roll in the work they put towards PC ports.

Hopefully this makes sense. I’ve had a bit too much to drink today

Portable ps4

covered above.

Topher

Gold Member
That would definitely infuriate all of GAF. Imagine the discussion of Series S ‘holding back’, then apply that a device even weaker than that to meet thermal limits.

At least going with a mobile PC means they could just roll in the work they put towards PC ports.

Meh....I don't buy into the "holding back" arguments when I see PC system requirements going as far back as they do. I don't think either Sony or MS have any interest in the tiny amount of revenue they would get from hardware sales. Either closed ecosystem or nothing at all. Probably nothing at all considering Sony seems to given up on gaming handhelds and MS has never had an interest at all.

Hopefully this makes sense. I’ve had a bit too much to drink today

Happy Hour Party GIF by Two Lane Brewing

kubricks

their expertise is literally in making PC handhelds. What do you want them to do, usurp steam so they can then subsidize the cost of these AYANEO products?

Valve just has more money at their hand and gets a boatload of it every day, thats why the deck is so cheap.
Nothing in particular, I am just pointing out their product is a lot more expensive than their competitor, and for their product to have a sustainable market they need to offer something that the steamdeck can't. You can not go around asking people "what do you want them to do" and expect the consumer to buy the product out of pity. That's not how business works.

Tams

Gold Member
Yeah, the price is reasonable considering how big AYA are and that they only make handheld gaming PCs.

But that trailer. Look, I do appreciate people trying to be creative and trying to use English, but that's fucking cringey. I hope it was cheap to make.

Tams

Gold Member
There are clearly enough people out there, even after the Steam Deck launch, to keep a company selling handhelds at these prices in business.

The alternative is nobody tries and we end up with only companies with deep pockets releasing hardware. Though that's not going to happen as long as there is a market for it, someone is going to try and fill it.

Look, we get it. You don't want to pay that much and won't get one. Why bother commenting on it then? Go get a Steam Deck if you don't have one already.

Spaceman292

Banned
The reasons behind it make no difference. It's worse and it costs more.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The reasons behind it make no difference. It's worse and it costs more.
I mean from hw perspective - it's more than 2x more powerful, with a better screen, smaller form-factor and more features.
It's debatable if it's worth 300$ more(comparing 512GB models) - though in some markets - people are spending way more than that for 2x the performance. But I'm not seeing how it can be objectively called 'worse' if price isn't the primary consideration.

Spaceman292

Banned
I mean from hw perspective - it's more than 2x more powerful, with a better screen, smaller form-factor and more features.
It's debatable if it's worth 300$ more(comparing 512GB models) - though in some markets - people are spending way more than that for 2x the performance. But I'm not seeing how it can be objectively called 'worse' if price isn't the primary consideration.
I misread the specs oops. Okay if it's better then why are people complaining about the cost?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
All these are really fine but what I'm really looking forward to know is the AYA Neo Next 2. I'm hoping for that one to have an OLED screen.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We Install Steam OS 3 "Steam Deck OS" Also Known As HOLOISO On The New AYANEO 2 and it runs amazingly on this Ryzen 6800U Powered handheld gaming PC, With a beautiful 7" display, RDNA2 graphics, DDR5 ram, and 50 Watt Hour battery the new AYA Neo 2 is turning out to be one of the best and most powerful handhelds on the market!

Comandr

I broke and ordered one, after canceling my preorder for the Loki Max. With any question regarding the release date of the Max being answered with nervous laughter, I gave up on any hope of getting my hands on one in the next six months. Also the very day I made my post in this thread, I started having some issues with my Odin's sticks and decided I didn't want to go through this potentially with the Max. I also like that it's a physically larger device. I love that the Odin is easily pocketable (hoorah guy pockets), but I can't deny that my hands have cramped up after long sessions.

Top Bottom