• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AYA releases trailers for AYANEO 2 and AYANEO GEEK handheld-dockable gaming PC's. AMD based ($949-$1,549 based on config)

Comandr

How the hell does Valve sell Steam Deck so cheap?
Valve sells the hardware that plays their software. Just like any other console manufacturer, Valve had a vested interest in expanding the pool of consumers that will be buying games on their platform.

Edit; also when you promise a part manufacturer that you’re going to buy a million jillion units you get a good deal.

Last edited:
How the hell does Valve sell Steam Deck so cheap?

This handheld is more expensive to make, knows it's selling to a niche and isn't over ordering, which is a double edge for bulk discounts which they'll be missing. Storage adds to the cost as well as ram.

The lowest cost Steamdeck like I've seen (and there's a thread on it iirc) is $650 with 16GB with a better screen, slimmer build, and AMD inside.

I don't expect Steamdeck competitive pricing unless there's a competitor that actually wants to compete. Right now SteamDeck isn't competing with anyone and selling to a base, and the other many handhelds are also doing the same but to bigger enthusiasts, and Switch is selling to a completely different market target as a monopoly practically.

Non-mobile handheld gaming is basically just 3 fragmented segments right now.

Topher

Gold Member
Valve sells the hardware that plays their software. Just like any other console manufacturer, Valve had a vested interest in expanding the pool of consumers that will be buying games on their platform.

Edit; also when you promise a part manufacturer that you’re going to buy a million jillion units you get a good deal.

Yeah, I get that, but still I'm a bit amazed how cheap that thing is to this day. Hell of a deal.

Yeah, I get that, but still I'm a bit amazed how cheap that thing is to this day. Hell of a deal.

Eh, $529 for the standard, and $649 for the 256 isn't very cheap. Several of these other handhelds have the same memory but have better screens, more expensive builds, and other features, or even better type of ram (which costs more) and other additions.

The barebones Steam Deck for $399 is cheap. When you look at the specs, the components, the size, and the only carry case included it makes sense. Almost nothing is competing in the same area, so all the competition costs more. No one can put even 25% better than the Steamdeck at a low enough price to compete with it.

Valves timing with the Steam Deck was perfect getting those deals and material in place when they did, because prices went up and being stronger and offering more than the Steam Deck even more than a year later, has still not dropped prices down enough. Prices are staying or going up. Switch hasn't dropped the price permanently on any Switch model since their original releases.

Eh, $529 for the standard, and $649 for the 256 isn't very cheap. Several of these other handhelds have the same memory but have better screens, more expensive builds, and other features, or even better type of ram (which costs more) and other additions.

The barebones Steam Deck for $399 is cheap. When you look at the specs, the components, the size, and the only carry case included it makes sense. Almost nothing is competing in the same area, so all the competition costs more. No one can put even 25% better than the Steamdeck at a low enough price to compete with it.

Valves timing with the Steam Deck was perfect getting those deals and material in place when they did, because prices went up and being stronger and offering more than the Steam Deck even more than a year later, has still not dropped prices down enough. Prices are staying or going up. Switch hasn't dropped the price permanently on any Switch model since their original releases.
Only the $400 steam deck is a good deal. A small form factor 256gb SSD can be had for $12 on Amazon prime. So they've overpriced the 256 $529 model by well over $100. Same or more so for the 512gb model (I purchased initially and then sold to a friend because it couldn't do near a solid 60 in some of my favorites games). The 6800u handhelds are closer to the performance I wanted. Some are close to the 512gb SD in price but have other compromises. Even some of the most expensive have design flaws or make choices prioritizing aesthetics over playability that I wouldn't have ever made (stick placement Aya Neo 2). All in all, while a lot of these companies have been innovating (but mostly iterating) for years, the presence of the SD is going to force them to up their games which is only good for everyone. We're getting amazing experiences never though possible 10-15 years ago but yeah, the inflated prices suck.

Last edited:
the presence of the SD is going to force them to up their games which is only good for everyone.

Huh? The other handhelds based on what they run just connect to Steam anyway, other stores, Microsoft Store, or the Android google play store.

All but one don't have their own ecosystem I've seen with their own games. They are just selling hardware.

Huh? The other handhelds based on what they run just connect to Steam anyway, other stores, Microsoft Store, or the Android google play store.

All but one don't have their own ecosystem I've seen with their own games. They are just selling hardware.
Their hardware game. of course they don't have the built in store to recoup cost and never did to any serious degree when most would just install windows previously. If they hope to grow outside of an increasingly small niche, they'll need to offer unique experiences at not insane prices (Winmax4) or middle tier products with cost savings passed along to the consumer aka the Aya Neo Geek which is seriously a no brainer over the 512gb steam deck

Tams

Only the $400 steam deck is a good deal. A small form factor 256gb SSD can be had for $12 on Amazon prime. So they've overpriced the 256 $529 model by well over $100. Same or more so for the 512gb model (I purchased initially and then sold to a friend because it couldn't do near a solid 60 in some of my favorites games). The 6800u handhelds are closer to the performance I wanted. Some are close to the 512gb SD in price but have other compromises. Even some of the most expensive have design flaws or make choices prioritizing aesthetics over playability that I wouldn't have ever made (stick placement Aya Neo 2). All in all, while a lot of these companies have been innovating (but mostly iterating) for years, the presence of the SD is going to force them to up their games which is only good for everyone. We're getting amazing experiences never though possible 10-15 years ago but yeah, the inflated prices suck.

Well, yeah, the cheapest Steam Deck is probably being sold for a loss. Valve will want to make that back somewhere and that'll be from both more expensive Steam Decks, but likely mainly Steam game sales.

StereoVsn

The issue is also warranty. It's easy to RMA a Steam Deck. How your RMA will work out with GPD, Onexplayer, Ayn or Aya Neo is a toss up. Lots of negative reports on Reddit.

If that's not an issue, all of the above had quite decent deals on pre-order.

Last edited:

Brucey

my bet is still on Microsoft waiting for the Series S die shrink to make a Series S Handheld version.

currently the Series S draws about 75w while playing games.
some of these handhelds have 30w to 35w modes.
so once the Series S APU has a revision that draws 35w it's easy to convert it into a handheld.

and AMD is really big on efficiency with every new RDNA revision. RDNA3 has a 53% performance per watt improvement already.

and I mean, it would be a handheld that, just like those PC handhelds, would instantly have a game library of thousands of games from the start, with guaranteed support until the end of the console generation.
If you want Gamepass on mobile why not just install it on your phone? Android, iphone, ipad? Battery life simply not there to run series s in handheld form factor.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

They really don't have that many 'first party' games. They have a store that is ubiquitous though.

No track pads equals half the library won't work. So many games I play on steam deck use the track pads for mouse emulation or radial menu shortcuts. I guess if you just want to play console ports and cod this would work. All the graphics whores probably would be fine.

The price is also way too high. I can get a killer laptop for that money.

Brigandier

Steam deck looks like a great device, I'll bite if they ever make another in the future.

I like the look of the Aya Neo 2 but I couldn't ever justify that cost.

Tams

I'm not quite sure what market wants a $1500 handheld. $500 handhelds are already pretty niche all things considered.

Well considering this is effectively AYA's third generation of devices at that price point, and GPDs and OneXPlayer's about fifth... there's clearly a market big enough for at least that many Chinese OEMs to keep in business.

No track pads equals half the library won't work. So many games I play on steam deck use the track pads for mouse emulation or radial menu shortcuts. I guess if you just want to play console ports and cod this would work. All the graphics whores probably would be fine.

The price is also way too high. I can get a killer laptop for that money.

Many PC games support gamepads now, or can be forced to with Steam or other utilities.

For the relatively small amount that are only designed for mouse and keyboard (RTSes and the like), well while the Deck's trackpads do make them playable (as compared to unplayable with joysticks), it still isn't a good experience.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well, yeah, the cheapest Steam Deck is probably being sold for a loss. Valve will want to make that back somewhere and that'll be from both more expensive Steam Decks, but likely mainly Steam game sales.

Valve doesn’t usually sell hardware at a loss. At the very least, the 64gb version is breaking even.
Probably explains why they cheaped out on the display.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I am really, really close to ordering a Geek 1S.

God how I wish Valve had made a Deck revision like this. Just look how damn sexy and smooth the whole design is.

Top Bottom