• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge 2 - Official Gameplay Trailer

kevm3

Not sure I'm feeling the primarily melee based combat. I don't mind melee, but it gets annoying if the weapon reach is short. I can't stand games where I need to be right up on the enemy to hit them.

Moonjt9

Quite a lot of interesting changes, especially with making bosses optional to some degree. The first game was a 10/10 for me, so I’m definitely going to give Tom Happ the benefit of the doubt. Coming to ps5 too, excellent!

Fredrik

Not sure I'm feeling the primarily melee based combat. I don't mind melee, but it gets annoying if the weapon reach is short. I can't stand games where I need to be right up on the enemy to hit them.
As many other 2D metroidvania devs I think he has looked a bit too much at Hollow Knight, but I think he’s missing the mark. Hopefully it’s just a bad video, I liked the first game.

99Luffy

Banned
I guess if they did another metroid clone they'd get flak for doing the same thing again. But man that really did not look exciting.

Bragr

Banned
Wondering about that myself, I love that he's trying new settings and level design that come off different and that it feels like a new evolved Axiom Verge. But the standard blaster thing and the weapons in general in Axiom Verge was very satisfying and a big part of why that game was good to play. I hope it's not a case of trying to evolve and ending up changing things that work for the worse.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Liked part 1 a lot but not really feeling part 2 especially that weird dull color palate. Will wait for reviews but Ill give it a chance if positive.

Liked part 1 a lot but not really feeling part 2 especially that weird dull color palate. Will wait for reviews but Ill give it a chance if positive.
Seems like plenty of people here are a bit down on it. Which I get since part 2 looks to abandon shooting and things like the color pallet aren't as vivid like lots of games in this genre. With that said, I think the direction this guys has taken with the sequel is bold as fuck. A real 180 from the first. An industry which constantly pumps out sequel after sequel with not much difference between them; Axiom Verge 2 stands out. I'll be watching this one closely.

Holammer

Game could have used a better artist going from 8-bit to 16bit 'esque graphics.
The restricted palette of the first game looked really authentic. This does not.

It seems I'm not the only one who noticed some issues:
1 - You can "just walk by" the bosses... they're not bosses if they just let you walk by them, a game is not a movie, not everyone can see it till the end and this is OK
2 - Emphasis on melee... kind of sad, it looks like it feels satisfying, but I like shooting in games

He should have upgraded NES level of colors to SNES or even PSX level of colors, 32-bit pixel art is amazing!

dtremblay

i loved the first game -- thought it was played tremendously and pressed all the right nostalgia buttons for me. so i can't wait to try whatever changes th is making to the formula.

Billbofet

Loved the first, but this looks like one of those 8-bit shovelware games that go on sale on the eShop every other week for $.09

Knightime_X

There are amazing retro graphics and timeless retro graphics.
This is lacking in both areas.

Some areas look like a bad pc port of a console game.
Was there ever any reason behind this decision?
I loved AV1's art style. But this? woof...

IKSTUGA

I loved the first game, this looks like something totally different. All the Metroidness is gone...

VN1X

Banned
I have yet to play the first one (got it installed though!) but this looks nothing like that game in terms of visuals?

Marty-McFly

Banned
This is the weirdest sequel I've ever seen.

It looks so bad and different from the first I'm checking back to this thread to see if we're getting trolled.

SJRB

Gold Member
I dunno about this one.. Looks radically different from the first but I'm not sure why. Is it the colors?

I got bored 1,5 minute into that video, that's never a good sign either.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Six years after the first installment, Thomas Happ Games returns with Axiom Verge 2! Check out our gameplay of the first 15 minutes featuring all-new characters, enemies, powers, and world to explore. Axiom Verge 2 releases in 2021 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom