• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge 2 is coming to the Epic Game Store, exclusively

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

If you haven’t seen it already, you should check out the latest video put out by the Epic Games Store, where they highlighted some exciting new games coming to the platform, including Axiom Verge 2! I know that exclusive arrangements often raise a lot of questions for people, so I wanted to explain the reasons why I decided to sign with Epic.

First off, Epic has been incredibly supportive of Axiom Verge from the beginning. They gave me a heads up about 6 months before they even announced their plans for a store and enabled lots of new players to try out the game. They have subsidized multiple sales, meaning we get the best of both worlds - revenue from a full price sale for me but half price (or less!) for players. Even when they don’t have any special promotions going on, their going royalty rate of 88% has set what will hopefully become an industry-wide standard.

But I’d be lying if I said the only reason I decided to go exclusive on Epic was because I’m a fan of the platform and all the wonderful people who work there. (Though I am, and they are.) When I first started development on the original Axiom Verge about 10 years ago, it was my side hobby. I had a well paying job with benefits, and my dog and I lived a very low maintenance lifestyle. I wasn’t really expecting Axiom Verge to pay the bills. I was hoping it’d make enough so that I could treat myself to a new car or, failing that, maybe a new PC. To say that life is very different for me now would be an understatement. Axiom Verge is my job now. I have a wife and child who depend on me and the game. I love that I get to work on my hobby all day, but at the same time, I’m always aware of the responsibility I have to my family. I don’t want to go into too many details about the nature of the arrangement I have with Epic other than to say that I’ve been able to put my stress about how the game will perform out of my mind for a bit and just focus on making the game I want to make. Making games can be fun, but it can also be stressful. With this deal in place, game development started feeling like a hobby again.

For Steam fans out there, please know that it will be coming your way eventually. The Steam team at Valve has also been incredibly supportive of Axiom Verge, and my decision to partner with Epic on this is in no way a comment on my relationship with Valve. Without Valve’s embrace of indie game development so long ago, there might not even have been an indie scene. No Valve, no indie scene, no Axiom Verge. Before I signed with Epic, my business partner Dan Adelman spoke with Valve and explained our thought process. Although they were disappointed not to have Axiom Verge 2 at launch, they understood that this was the right decision both for this game and my family. As for other platforms, I’ve already announced that the game will be coming to Nintendo Switch. I’ve been lucky that I’ve had great support from Sony and Microsoft over the years so I hope to be able to talk about my plans on those systems soon.

Buggy Loop

stephen colbert middle finger GIF

It's time to STOP the "CUTSIE" fake retro games look intentionally like shit pixel thing, the trend is DEAD(almost fully).
I wish they upgraded the color palette from 8-bit (NES like) to 16-bit (arcade/SNES/VGA/AGA like), but I prefer low (but not too low) resolution for 2D games, high or very high resolution doesn't feel right to me, something that has between 240 to 480 horizontal lines is just perfect as far as I am concerned... when you get to Gameboy/c64/GBA, etc. resolution there is just not enough details for the art to shine.
The game was highly overhyped, it was OK.
I though it was underhyped, the controls are tight and the music score is one of the best ever made.

CitizenZ

Banned
Ok, another one i can....dont care. Great first game Im just kind of tired of pixel art side scrollers at this point. Good for them getting free cash.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wish they upgraded the color palette from 8-bit (NES like) to 16-bit (arcade/SNES/VGA/AGA like), but I prefer low (but not too low) resolution for 2D games, high or very high resolution doesn't feel right to me, something that has between 240 to 480 horizontal lines is just perfect as far as I am concerned... when you get to Gameboy/c64/GBA, etc. resolution there is just not enough details for the art to shine.

I though it was underhyped, the controls are tight and the music score is one of the best ever made.
It’s not 8 bit bed at all.. which is where a lot of the retro style games fail IMO. Nes had very strict color pallets and rules.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I liked the first game well enough. At times it had really high highs, but other times you could tell the lack of polish because it was an indie title and they needed to get it out the door at some point.
Kind of like Owl Boy. Would love to see a sequel to that one, but not on the EGS.
Going to pass on this one until it's available on other platforms.

Mister Wolf

Good for the developers. Most people in all professions opt for guaranteed money over betting on themselves or their product.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Definitely annoyed by this but given this is developed by one guy, I can't blame him for taking the money. Guess I'll play it on console.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Hmm... tough one. Given how badly the creator got screwed by his publisher (Badlands) on the first game I can understand him seeking a payoff this time around

On the other hand this kind of monopoly chasing exclusivity is incredibly anti-consumer

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Holy shit, somebody in the Kingdom Hearts PC announcement thread predicted this just yesterday!

Anyway... good. First game was terrible, keep the sequel confined as much as possible, thanks. My Switch is still crying since I played that shit on it.

johntown

Banned
Hate EGS but I have some sympathy in this case as long it it is still the one guy who makes this game. I never finished the first one but now I have even less reason.

I just wonder if this will backfire on him and alienate some of his fans for future titles?

TransTrender

Gold Member
Didn't Axiom Verge yank MacOS support without a word?
Who really gives a shit aside from a handful of Mac weirdos?
There are other much more legitimate critiques for this game.
Owned Axiom Verge Switch Multiverse and finished the game. This isn't a flex. Just giving context.

BlackTron

Good for him, really.

I might feel more outraged after I can be arsed to finish the first one, which tbh will probably be never at this point.

That's a lot of words for "I like money!"
Guess Tencent Tim has payed for everyones copy then, you can pirate with a good conscience

The reality of one dude making a game and putting his livelihood on the line outweighs your convenience of platform. It's a timed exclusive anyway. If Epic wants to pony up the money why wouldn't you take it? Good on him for securing the bag and ensuring he can pay his mortgage. Dude can sleep easy and look forward to whatever real sales come his way.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Epic care enough to offer him the best deal, so of course he should take it.

Its funny to me, to the people acting angry about this I really have to ask:

How much money do you think your attachment to Steam would be worth, were you given the same choice?
Be honest, because its a no-brainer really.

You might not like it, but lets be real here!

Top Bottom