• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Jaybe

I was threatening to kill you.
ewQH4hM.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just want to say thanks to everyone here for being normal and discussing the movie and the box office without chastizing each other for not talking about the indigenous people non-issues in this movie. The other forum has gone completely mental over this stuff which is hilarious considering James Cameron consulted with and researched several indigenous sea tribes in Indonesia who still to this day live nomadic lives in the region. The fact that AMERICAN native activists are upset that they werent consulted is absolutely nuts because this movie isnt even about them.

It's insane that out of all the people to cancel, the hippie environmentalist director who cut 12 minutes of expensive film from his movie to make a point about gun violence is the one they chose. The same guy who wrote a love letter to indigenous tribes in the first movie.

Last edited:
I just want to say thanks to everyone here for being normal and discussing the movie and the box office without chastizing each other for not talking about the indigenous people non-issues in this movie. The other forum has gone completely mental over this stuff which is hilarious considering James Cameron consulted with and researched several indigenous sea tribes in Indonesia who still to this day live nomadic lives in the region. The fact that AMERICAN native activists are upset that they werent consulted is absolutely nuts because this movie isnt even about them.
Its funny that they dont see the irony either.. that theyre most likely white posters telling polynesians that loved the movie, and were involved in the making of the movie, that they should be offended... like I dunno.. a white a savior.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Saw the movie yesterday. What a feat for the eyes. If I get the chance I’ll surely watch it again in IMAX.

Judging from my first impression I’d say it overall worse than part 1 though. My main gripe with the movie was that it lacked a truly meanful plot. I mean, sure, part 1’s plot was really basic and not special at all but at least it was epic. To put it simple… part 1 was about Pandora, parts 2 is just a little plot within Pandora and for me there no clear end goal in sight either. Everything just seemed like an overy long episode within a series.

So I do hope they spice up the storytelling for the next one.

Aside from that it was amazing though. Must see in IMAX.

SlimySnake

Saw the movie yesterday. What a feat for the eyes. If I get the chance I’ll surely watch it again in IMAX.

Judging from my first impression I’d say it overall worse than part 1 though. My main gripe with the movie was that it lacked a truly meanful plot. I mean, sure, part 1’s plot was really basic and not special at all but at least it was epic. To put it simple… part 1 was about Pandora, parts 2 is just a little plot within Pandora and for me there no clear end goal in sight either. Everything just seemed like an overy long episode within a series.

It feels like that because its half the movie. Avatar 2 was split into two parts. Next one should feel a bit beefier since all the subplots and main plots should get resolved by the end.

Chiggs

I liked the fact that it didn't try to match the first one's scope, since this is just step 1 of the new series. I also liked how the battle at the end didn't evolve into some overly-massive frenzy...it was more personal and the kills were better because of it.

We're undoubtedly going to get massive battles in the next few films, so I don't think it was needed here. That's one of the things I can't stand about Marvel/DC movies: EVERYTHING IS THE LAST BATTLE! IMPORTANT! WORLD IN PERIL!

jason10mm

Gold Member
On the plus side, having the new super resource be taken from whales means the humies can't just neutron bomb the planet to kill off all life from the surface and mine the unobtanium in blissful peace :p

I want a space battle though. James has never done one and I WANTS IT!!!

Chiggs

On the plus side, having the new super resource be taken from whales means the humies can't just neutron bomb the planet to kill off all life from the surface and mine the unobtanium in blissful peace :p

I want a space battle though. James has never done one and I WANTS IT!!!

So Dark Horse comics just released 'Avatar: The High Ground,' which bridges Part 1 with The Way of Water. This is based on a screenplay by Cameron, and there is something of a space battle...more like an assault then sabotage, followed by an escape.

After reading the three part series, I am thinking that Disney will eventually get someone to make it into a movie, even if it's not Cameron.

Some things to note:
  • Seeing cats in space is wild.
  • Neytiri really, really doesn't like Spider.
  • You can kind of see why Cameron passed on this one...it's more of the same, but with some space stuff.
    • It's not bad, but I think he wanted to move the series forward.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I liked the fact that it didn't try to match the first one's scope, since this is just step 1 of the new series. I also liked how the battle at the end didn't evolve into some overly-massive frenzy...it was more personal and the kills were better because of it.

We're undoubtedly going to get massive battles in the next few films, so I don't think it was needed here. That's one of the things I can't stand about Marvel/DC movies: EVERYTHING IS THE LAST BATTLE! IMPORTANT! WORLD IN PERIL!
After sitting through Wakanda Forever, this part really stood out. The film was better when it stayed away from the typical Marvel noise, and worse whenever it dove into it. But, oh boy, the entire last third of that film was a fucking slog because it had to be a Marvel Movie®. I'm glad TWOW had the guts to shrink the scale.

Last edited:

sinnergy

After sitting through Wakanda Forever, this part really stood out. The film was better when it stayed away from the typical Marvel noise, and worse whenever it dove into it. But, oh boy, the entire last third of that film was a fucking slog because it had to be a Marvel Movie®. I'm glad TWOW had the guts to shrink the scale.
And that’s Cameron 😆 I heartily agree , the final act of A2, is smaller of scale but has a bigger emotional impact .

Wtf I just watched the movie for the third time and noticed that Rotxo, the broccoli hair Navi, is actually not one of the bullies!:messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth:

Previously I found it weird how he was friendly and took great care of the girls but then bullied Kiri - turns out it wasn't him!

AqTZwF0.jpg

The bully must be updated for the Blu-ray.

Also noticed Payakan slapping the water to attract the whalers kek
And the whaler boat's pilot is the cool Mumakil driver from Return of the King
Z4nuyts.gif

3liteDragon

$1.89 billion worldwide so far. Will pass No Way Home ($1.916B) on Tuesday & likely pass $2 billion next weekend. Looking to end it’s theatrical run between $2.3-$2.45B, these weekend-to-weekend holds are insane.

Chiggs

Avatar: The Way of Water beats domestic box office expectations (again) in its 5th week of release.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-of...ler-the-avatar-way-of-water-m3gan-1235221135/

Avatar: The Way of Water‘s 4-day is now at $38.5M, which still ranks as the 13th highest grossing movie at the domestic box office at $570.3M, taking over Jon Favreau’s The Lion King ($543.6M). How much gas does the movie have left in the tank? Rival distribution sources believe that Avatar 2 has a shot at flying past the lifetime US/Canada gross of James Cameron’s Titanic ($659.3M).

Last edited:

sinnergy

Imagine if the first run ends up at 2.4 billion 🤣 now imagine streaming agreement sales, tv network sales , DVD, BLU-ray, 4K blu-ray theatrical sales and extended cut sales , now imagine a rerelease before Avatar 3… pow .. 3.5 billion, for one movie 🤡😘 The man just financed him self until he is dead .. he can do what he wants ..

O James you want to make a Mask movie (the 80s cartoon) , lego, here have money .

Last edited:

Chiggs

Imagine if the first run ends up at 2.4 billion 🤣 now imagine streaming agreement sales, tv network sales , DVD, BLU-ray, 4K blu-ray theatrical sales and extended cut sales , now imagine a rerelease before Avatar 3… pow .. 3.5 billion 🤡😘

And now consider that Avatar: Remastered (the 4k HDR treatment) is going to be out for sale right around the same time as Avatar: The Way of Water, which means the franchise will just receive another jolt of cash.

Bob Iger is licking his chops right now. With Avatar 3 hitting in 2024 and The Avengers: The Kang Dynasty hitting in 2025, there's no huge rush to get some Star Wars crap out the door. They can take their time and do it right.

Random thought: is there any reason why Disney wouldn't do a theatrical re-release of The Abyss in March or April, since that remaster is done and awaiting the home video treatment?

Last edited:

sinnergy

And now consider that Avatar: Remastered (the 4k HDR treatment) is going to be out for sale right around the same time as Avatar: The Way of Water, which means the franchise will just receive another jolt of cash.

Bob Iger is licking his chops right now. With Avatar 3 hitting in 2024 and The Avengers: The Kang Dynasty hitting in 2025, there's no huge rush to get some Star Wars crap out the door. They can take their time and do it right.

Random thought: is there any reason why Disney wouldn't do a theatrical re-release of The Abyss in March or April, since that remaster is done and awaiting the home video treatment?
Man I would love to watch a remaster of the Abyss. It’s not easy to find on streaming .

Just spoke to my 2 sisters yesterday as they're in Australia and they've both already seen it but plan to re-watch it again.

First time ever I can remember multiple family members wanting to re-watch a single movie. I'm sure this would be the case for many others. Just having to go back to have your eyeballs fucked again and again.

And I wouldn't mind seeing it a 3rd time and in IMAX this time.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Has there been any info how much this has been watched 3D vs 2D? I thought maybe if 3D version is overwhelmingly more popular, maybe more 3D films could arrive in theaters and maybe even in streaming serviced? 3DBD is probably a pipedream at this point.

3DBD is probably a pipedream at this point.
Only in the US, they're still made in Asia and Europe. Even Marvel movies have 3D home releases.
Ironically Avatar was a major handicap to the 3DTV market because it was tied to some shitty Panasonic hardware.

I'm sure all major TV makers are balls deep into R&D on a new generation that can show 3D at 144fps. A 2 billion movie is proof it works and ifafter Titanic is a hit we'll have more 3D HFR remasters. The Hobbit was never released in HFR at home but it's used as a demo for the remaster software:

3liteDragon

Passed $1.9B today, will beat Spider-Man: No Way Home today to become the 6th highest grossing movie of all time & the highest grossing movie of the pandemic era.

TUESDAY UPDATE: With Monday’s grosses included, James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has topped $1.9B globally and is on its way to a new milestone through today when it will become the sixth biggest movie ever worldwide.

As we reported on Sunday (see below), when Way of Water jumps into the No. 6 slot, it will have overtaken Spider-Man: No Way Home. Through Monday, Way of Water has grossed $1,916.2M globally. Now, there has been some confusion over the final No Way Home worldwide total, but we are told it is indeed $1.921B (whereas some charts have it at $1,916.3M) — either way, Avatar 2 will swim past No Way Home (which, it should be noted, did not release in China) when today’s figures will be tallied.

Way of Water picked up another $9.5M overseas on Monday, lifting the offshore cume through yesterday to $1,344.6M. The 20th Century Studios/Disney sequel currently stands as the No. 5 biggest movie of all time at the international box office.

The Top 5 markets through Monday are: China ($214.5M), France ($122.4M), Germany ($107.7M), Korea ($93.1M) and the UK ($77.2M).

Last edited:

Chiggs

Sony playing some games with its No Way Home numbers. Most charts have it at $1, 916, 000, 000...but now, according to Sony, it's $1, 921, 000, 000. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Being able to release in China is part of the game and it’s not avatars fault that Sony couldn’t get it done avatar is going to beat Spider-Man’s numbers even without China so there’s no point in mentioning that Spider-Man didn’t release there

SlimySnake

Fucking Babylon is taking over 2/3 IMAX screenings in my country lmao
However Avatar will have extra morning screenings during weekends and some upcoming holidays. I suppose Titanic will fully replace it in IMAX. I would absolutely do a double feature of Titanic and Avatar...

SlimySnake

I have no idea who the target audience for that movie is, but my guess is "douche" and "bag."
Damien Chazzelle was such a great director. I LOVE Whiplash but then he went and made a fucking musical then a very bizarre take on man landing on the moon and now this flop. Poor guy fell in with the wrong crowd. This hollywood wankry is so bizarre.

Power Pro

Ifinally saw avatar 2 tonight...just wanted to get some thoughts off my chest.

- not really sure what to feel about it, it's well made, and it does a well enough job to get me to feel for some of the characters, but I also was not overly attached to any of them. Literally couldn't remember the names of numerous characters. I don't really like that humanity is portrayed as this completely evil, with the exception of a handful of people, humanity has become a cartoon villainy with nothing redeeming about them left, and it's just rubs me the wrong way as a fellow human. Jake was still a human during most of the first movie, so he was a bit of an audience surrogate. You were eased into seeing what the people he worked for was doing is wrong, but that's not present in this movie, so you're just watching things unfold and seeing how terrible humans are. I get enough "you should feel bad about yourself" for being a white straight male, I don't need to feel bad about human also.

- The special effects are obviously what's meant to get butts in the seats, and sure they look good, but they're not perfect. there's a fluidness to the motion that just seems unnatural whenever the movie focuses on the na'vi, and it's honestly a bit distracting. there are scenes with just normal human that look fine, because you're looking at human beings acting and moving that were shot on a camera, looks natural...but then you get a shot with all pandora and na'vi, and my thoughts comes across like i was playing a PC game and im like "wow, im glad this game has such a smooth framerate". people like to say cgi effects look like a video game as a way to diminish or say the effects look bad, but i mean it in a literal sense. it doesn't just look like a video game, but it moves like a video game, and that makes it look unnatural in a movie.

Chiggs

The special effects are obviously what's meant to get butts in the seats, and sure they look good, but they're not perfect. there's a fluidness to the motion that just seems unnatural whenever the movie focuses on the na'vi, and it's honestly a bit distracting. there are scenes with just normal human that look fine, because you're looking at human beings acting and moving that were shot on a camera, looks natural...but then you get a shot with all pandora and na'vi, and my thoughts comes across like i was playing a PC game and im like "wow, im glad this game has such a smooth framerate". people like to say cgi effects look like a video game as a way to diminish or say the effects look bad, but i mean it in a literal sense. it doesn't just look like a video game, but it moves like a video game, and that makes it look unnatural in a movie.

You weren’t aware of the 48 FPS scenes? That’s intentional.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/why-avatar-looks-different-james-cameron-48fps-high-frame-rate.html

Last edited:

It's insane that out of all the people to cancel, the hippie environmentalist director who cut 12 minutes of expensive film from his movie to make a point about gun violence is the one they chose. The same guy who wrote a love letter to indigenous tribes in the first movie.
I just had a look over at the other forum. Wow, they've totally lost their minds. I don't know how you'd even make a film that would appeal to people like that. What would such a film look like?

I just had a look over at the other forum. Wow, they've totally lost their minds. I don't know how you'd even make a film that would appeal to people like that. What would such a film look like?
The Woman King + Django Unchained + RuPaul Drag Race. At the end the director breaks the fourth wall and shoots himself onscreen and donates all profits to Resetera while writing "I tried" on the wall in his own blood. 6.5/10, "do better."

Top Bottom