• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Chiggs

Saw it for the 3rd time today on the biggest Regal RPX screen I could find. It didn't disappoint, and this was the best viewing I've had. Some random thoughts:

• Movie only gets better with subsequent viewings.
  • I think Regal runs their projectors brighter than AMC...or at least, this one did.
    • Holy hell at the HDR punch.
  • RPX speaker punch in the chairs really helped sell the arrow shots on the humans.
  • I finally caught the "clever" transition from Na'vi to English
    • It takes place early on when the two kids are arguing about a toy and Jake says "their language became indistinguishable from English."
      • Why I didn't catch this the first or second time, who the hell knows...
  • More and more, two things become clear for Avatar 3 or 4:
    • Spider will shift to villain; Neytiri will mark him for death.
    • Quaritch will kill Neytiri.
      • Remember: "I owe you a death."
  • As much praise as the coral reef scenes get, I think the underwater stuff in the capsized ship are equally impressive, if not more impressive.
    • It's photo-fucking-real
  • I stayed through the credits to see the visual FX crew...it just kept going and going.

I can't wait for part 3, especially since the bad Na'vi get introduced.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Looking like another really good weekend for Avatar 2 @ 45 million domestic.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-office-m3gan-avatar-the-way-of-water-1235212918/

Also, Avatar: The Way of Water crossed the half billion mark yesterday in its 23rd day of release after an estimated $20M Saturday.

That’s faster than Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (32 days) and Top Gun: Maverick (30 days).

Disney is reporting weekend 4 for Avatar 2 at $45M.

Come Monday, the movie will likely have surpassed (or darn close) The Lion King and Jurassic World for the #7 all time spot and will begin its march toward Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Update: Deadline is already calling the film at 1.7 billion. Holy shit.

Exhibition made a four week pact with Disney to keep the sequel on Imax, PLF, Dolby screens. They’d be crazy to pull them off with the pic making so much money. At this level, Avatar 2 saw the second best 4th weekend for a film after the original 2009 film which posted $50.3M. The pic is at $1.7 billion global.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Looking like another really good weekend for Avatar 2 @ 45 million domestic.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-office-m3gan-avatar-the-way-of-water-1235212918/

Come Monday, the movie will likely have surpassed (or darn close) The Lion King and Jurassic World for the #7 all time spot and will begin its march toward Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Edit: Deadline is already calling the film at 1.7 billion. Holy shit
🤡 it’s so quite in this thread .. haters have fled ! But to which thread or forum? Is there an anti Avatar forum ?

octiny

Banned
Last edited:

Chiggs

Over 1.7 billion now.

It'll pass 2 billion within the next 3 weeks.

The % drops for this week are amazing & well above Rogue One which bodes well going forward.

A lot to unpack here:

The international session delivered $132.6M in 52 markets for an estimated overseas running total of $1,191.3M. The weekend haul repped a 30% drop from last frame, but a significant number of markets saw increases including Brazil (+83%), Spain (+53%) and Germany (+4%).

Uh, holy shit.

remains the No. 1 non-local movie in all markets after four weeks (save for Kuwait where M3GAN dethroned the Na’vi this session), and has become the biggest studio movie ever in India.

Uh, holy shit @ India...and fuck you, M3GAN, you little bitch. ;)

The Top 5 markets to date are China ($188.3M), France ($107.2M), Germany ($92.6M), Korea ($85.6M) and the UK ($69.1M).

Remember when all hope was lost for China?

Last edited:

Over 1.7 billion now.

It'll pass 2 billion within the next 2-3 weeks.

The % drops for this week are amazing & well above Rogue One which bodes well going forward.
Ok now this is ridiculous, holy shit.

ZehDon

that plot moves
People online still doubting this might get to 2b when a week ago it was at not even 1.4b and it's now over 1.7b is...crazy to me.

We're at the point where this could even surpass Titanic and we're FOR SURE at the point where James Cameron will have 3 of the top 4 of the biggest box offices ever in history, lmao.
We're getting close to the point in time where Cameron's magic really happens: everyone who wanted to see it initially has seen it, and now the people who want to see it again are going back. The magic happens when it stays around long enough that people who didn't want to see it initially go and check it out because, hey, I wonder what all the fuss is about? This keeps it in cinemas even longer, which lets people who want to see it one more time on the big screen a chance to do so. This cycle gave Titanic its un-Godly legs, carried Avatar to record breaking heights, and it looks like it's happening again with The Way of Water. I'd say the floor is 5th highest grossing film of all time, but I can't put a ceiling on it.

that plot moves

We're getting close to the point in time where Cameron's magic really happens: everyone who wanted to see it initially has seen it, and now the people who want to see it again are going back. The magic happens when it stays around long enough that people who didn't want to see it initially go and check it out because, hey, I wonder what all the fuss is about? This keeps it in cinemas even longer, which lets people who want to see it one more time on the big screen a chance to do so. This cycle gave Titanic its un-Godly legs, carried Avatar to record breaking heights, and it looks like it's happening again with The Way of Water. I'd say the floor is 5th highest grossing film of all time, but I can't put a ceiling on it.
Can confirm. Im going next weekend.

Toons

Banned
The movies very very long so idk if ill see it again any time soon.

But its well worth a watch in the theater. Its got a lot of heart even with its basic plot. Its one of the times style over substance actually kinda works.

Theres deliberately a simplicity to the plot but the elements of the visuals and the character interactions make for a highly enjoyable experience watching it

Chiggs

We're getting close to the point in time where Cameron's magic really happens: everyone who wanted to see it initially has seen it,

Maybe? Anecdotally: my Mom and Grandmother are going next week because they wanted to avoid the crowds because of COVID.

Don't underestimate your seniors who like Cameron. Remember, he's 68 himself. A young 68, mind you...but 68 nonetheless.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
This movie exited my mind a few days after watching it, I liked it but didn't blow me away and I don't care to go see it again for a few years. Happy its doing well as I would like to see where the story goes in the sequels.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Bob Iger emailed his employees today about work from home going bye-bye, but look at what he said first:

Since returning to Disney, I’ve been busy catching up on the many exciting projects underway across all our businesses, and I have been inspired by your boundless creativity and the remarkable success of so many of your recent endeavors.

I thought I would mention a few:

For the 7th consecutive year, Walt Disney Studios was the number-one studio at the box office, and last week, Avatar: The Way of Water became the 7th highest grossing film of all time, and its success is only continuing to grow.

Big Bob loves Avatar. Expect all the sequels to be made, with a chance of "The High Ground" comic being adapted.

I saw this twice in three days I’ve NEVER done that before it’s a phenomenal movie and at the very pinnacle of the medium.
I rewatched it within a week.

And one of the main reasons was the visuals. On opening night the theatre was dead silent. Some people never touched their popcorn until well into the movie. I'm assuming people were just floored by the visuals. Normally in theatres you hear shuffling around for drinks, popcorn and other stuff but not this time. Was a very strange experience and I even glanced back to check if there were actually real people in the theatre and not cardboard cutouts lol

TrebleShot

I rewatched it within a week.

And one of the main reasons was the visuals. On opening night the theatre was dead silent. Some people never touched their popcorn until well into the movie. I'm assuming people were just floored by the visuals. Normally in theatres you hear shuffling around for drinks, popcorn and other stuff but not this time. Was a very strange experience and I even glanced back to check if there were actually real people in the theatre and not cardboard cutouts lol
I turned to my friend in the first water section and said “this is incredible” , took my GF the Sunday just gone and it was just as good the second time round.

It’s just pure spectacle with a decent story, you go in and get nothing but pure entertainment and it’s a stunning stunning visual feat.

There isn’t anything else out there pushing cinema forward and creating experiences like it, it’s truly advancing technology and visual story telling.

Felt like I witnessed a watershed moment.

I turned to my friend in the first water section and said “this is incredible” , took my GF the Sunday just gone and it was just as good the second time round.

It’s just pure spectacle with a decent story, you go in and get nothing but pure entertainment and it’s a stunning stunning visual feat.

There isn’t anything else out there pushing cinema forward and creating experiences like it, it’s truly advancing technology and visual story telling.

Felt like I witnessed a watershed moment.
My first words to my partner as we sat down and put on our 3D glasses (because we arrived late about 8 minutes into the movie) was 'Oh My God'
I felt literally transported to Pandora. It was my first 3D movie as I never got a chance to see Avatar 1 in theatre in 3D. But my god the experience was something I can't quite describe.

True that it felt very special watching that. Even now thinking back on the experience its still amazes me what they managed to pull off.
Kinda wondering if this is going to revive the 3D format because he's for sure going to keep doing it going into Avatar 3, 4 and 5.

But the one I'm most looking forward to is Avatar 4. From what's out there, its going to the one where Cameron pulls out all the stops.

Last edited:
More cash on the way

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-extension-lunar-new-year-holiday-1235294132/

It’s almost as if people doubted James Cameron to deliver 😂
The Wandering Earth 2 and Titanic are going to slow it down. Titanic makes me think Disney and Cameron did not expect this immense succes. It's coming in way too soon.
In 2010, Alice took over Avatar's screens in March, which lead to the early Blu-Ray release in April (and the standard it set for a decade).

The Wandering Earth 2 and Titanic are going to slow it down. Titanic makes me think Disney and Cameron did not expect this immense succes. It's coming in way too soon.
In 2010, Alice took over Avatar's screens in March, which lead to the early Blu-Ray release in April (and the standard it set for a decade).

Totally. But even if it loses screens, the James Cameron effect is running at full steam

Weekend after weekend the drops are not what ‘normal’ movies experience and this in turn causes the movie to remain on more screens. Even as the weeks turn into months.

So even though other movies come out and hit the box office. Watch avatar keep grinding out the cash, probably till the end of feb, or so. By that point it should be over $2.2 billion. Maybe even up around 2.5b.

Not sure any other movie will touch this number. Well not till avatar 3 😁

But that’s a good point you raise. it does indicate that if the product is there. People will come out for multiple movies, or movies that opened weeks ago

and that’s a good thing for movies and cinema in general 😎

Every time someone doubt's James Cameron, it adds 1% to the gross of his next movie. This behaviour is the most consistent law of the universe currently known to science.
All December blockbusters make $1B at least. Avatar has had the benefit of China which hasn’t been a thing for a few years. I did say that the movie will make a lot of money but will be forgotten soon after it stops playing.

ZehDon

All December blockbusters make $1B at least. Avatar has had the benefit of China which hasn’t been a thing for a few years. I did say that the movie will make a lot of money but will be forgotten soon after it stops playing.
That sure is a lot of hand waving.

octiny

Banned

You realize it hasnt even made 200 million in China, right? And China B/O is nowhere near what it was before Covid, where it overtook the US as the biggest grosser of all. It's a shell of itself right now.

Even if you took China out of the equation, it would still hit 2 billion by the end of it's run.

You want to know why most blockbusters don't want to release in December? Because most would be insanely front loaded & would make less in the long run into January than if they released during the summer. Only certain blockbusters can make it out alive. It's too much of a risk. It's ment for dark horse & slightly below blockbuster movies which have better legs (Sherlock Holmes). Regardless, by the end of it's run, no December blockbuster outside of Avatar 1 will of made as much or have had better % drops than Avatar 2. It's why blockbusters will continue to move out of Avatars release path, whether it's released in the Summer or Winter. People never forgot & won't forget going forward, it goes against all logic from the quantifiable data we already have.

Just a fair warning. When Avatar 3 hits 2024 & China is officially back to pre-covid, 3 billion is in play. So you should get that copium ready again.

You just have to look at the last few years (bar 2020). December releases do very, very well. Better than they would if they released at other times. Aquaman hit $1B.

Nice, China Box office for Aquaman was 291 million w/ China at the height of it's B/O prowess. It wouldnt even come close to hitting 1B without it.

Fun facts.

1) China B/O couldn't hit 1 billion last year (2022) due to lock downs/restrictions after originally recovering w/ 6 billion in 2021 (lock downs etc lifted).

2) 8-9 billion a year is what China generates at the box office. When Avatar 1 broke the China B/O record in 2010 (200 million), the overall box office there made only 650 million. Since then, even craptastic blockbusters have made more than Avatar 1 due to how many theaters & screens they have now in China. It doesn't take a genius to realize what Avatar 2 would have made had it been 2021 China, let alone 2018-2019.

So this notion that "Avatar has had the benefit of China which hasn’t been a thing for a few years" is a load of bullshit. If you actually followed the B/O, you would realize Avatar 2 would closer to 600 million by now in China. In the end, it's going to hit 2 billion with or without China which is absolutely huge for a franchise people "forgot about".

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Take away China and it doesn’t get to $2B.

7BckXvY.gif

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Top Bottom