• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
https://deadline.com/2023/01/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-new-years-2023-1235208802/

A 1.37 billion haul would move Avatar: The Way of Water into the 15th highest grossing movie of all time, beating out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and put it just shy of Black Panther, which it could best by end of day Monday.

Now, the question becomes...how high can this film go?
  • I personally think 1.7 or 1.8 billion is where it lands, making it the #7 grossing movie of all time.
    • Not bad for a sequel that's over a decade late and allegedly has no cultural footprint.
But don't rule out Disney re-releasing this movie with extra scenes in Feb or March to boost the box office even more. And if Vladimir Putin dies soon, look for Disney to rush the movie into the Russian market, where the original Avatar grossed well over 100 million.

It made more this weekend than it did last week. It will have legs unlike anything we have seen. $2 billion easy.

$2.5 billion if it makes another $50 million next weekend.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
https://deadline.com/2023/01/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-new-years-2023-1235208802/

But don't rule out Disney re-releasing this movie with extra scenes in Feb or March to boost the box office even more. And if Vladimir Putin dies soon, look for Disney to rush the movie into the Russian market, where the original Avatar grossed well over 100 million.

Russian cinemas are already showing the 3D version of Avatar 2 with Russian dubbing. It looks like they're using a legal trick to circumvent the sanctions.

3liteDragon

A 1.37 billion haul would move Avatar: The Way of Water into the 15th highest grossing movie of all time, beating out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and put it just shy of Black Panther, which it could best by end of day Monday.

Now, the question becomes...how high can this film go?
  • I personally think 1.7 or 1.8 billion is where it lands, making it the #7 grossing movie of all time.
    • Not bad for a sequel that's over a decade late and allegedly has no cultural footprint.
Highest grossing movies of 2022, Maverick's being dethroned in 2 days. Also, $2 billion is 200% locked now, the real question is how far past $2B can it go. My current prediction is $2.1-$2.3 billion, can change depending on how it does next week. Cameron corrected himself today & said that it needs to be the 10th highest grossing film of all time to break even, Variety reported today that it needs to hit $1.4B to break even according to their sources. Safe to say that it's gonna be making profit after passing $1.5 billion, which it's about to do in 2 or 3 days.

image.png

All-time list (not adjusted for inflation), it's either gonna end at #4 or #3. I think it'll beat Titanic.

image.png

Last edited:

Pejo

Saw the film today, IMAX with Real3D. Worth every penny, it was a great ride from start to finish. The themes were a bit heavy handed but regardless there were good character moments and fantastic action scenes. The 3D was just as impressive as the first for enhancing the experience and giving amazing immersion.

One thing I've learned from watching this movie, don't have kids.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm just glad its come and gone. I have finally had to stop seeing the shitty trailers for it on every other YouTube video I have seen.

Happy to know I won't have to suffer through its horrible advertising again for at least 10 years.

SlimySnake

Saw the film today, IMAX with Real3D. Worth every penny, it was a great ride from start to finish. The themes were a bit heavy handed but regardless there were good character moments and fantastic action scenes. The 3D was just as impressive as the first for enhancing the experience and giving amazing immersion.

One thing I've learned from watching this movie, don't have kids.
Downloaded fall guys for my 8 year old just the other day. He kept pausing the game not realizing that this was an online game that cant be paused. I had to keep reminding him NOT to press pause but he did it in each of the first three rounds.

Regardless, he made it to the final round on just his first try. I watched as the final 8 players died one by one until just one other person remained. My son decided to press Options to pause the game and promptly fell in a hole and died. I was furious but told him to start up a new round and try again.

He gets back to the final round. Only 8 players left. This time right at the start of the round, he accidently presses circle to quit the game. I told him to STOP and press circle again to go back. He ignores me and blindly taps X without listening or reading and the game quits out to the main lobby.

I was so angry I had to leave the room.

This is what parenting is like ALL day with everything. Even when they listen, they dont fucking listen.

TonyK

Even if I prefer the first one the last hour of this is amazing and a LOT better than the last part of Avatar 1.

sinnergy

I'm just glad its come and gone. I have finally had to stop seeing the shitty trailers for it on every other YouTube video I have seen.

Happy to know I won't have to suffer through its horrible advertising again for at least 10 years.
Next one is in about 2 years .. and the 3 in 4 years … sorry 🤣 and more will follow ..

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

It may have come but it's certainly not gone. This film will continue to devour headlines for months to come.

And not long after that the hype for Avatar 3 begins.

Last edited:
132% increase in China compared to last Monday and 18k additional screenings :messenger_hushed:
Will it get an extension to January 21? The Wandering Earth 2 opens on 22 (new year's day).

Chiggs

Forbes already announcing Top Gun: Maverick's demise:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...ick-for-15-billion-this-week/?sh=1192475561a5

Avatar: The Way of Water beat estimates over the four-day New Year’s holiday weekend at the box office to rise past $1.4+ billion at the global box office. The film should hit $1.5 billion sometime on Tuesday, topping Top Gun: Maverick as the highest-grossing release of 2022.

James Cameron to Tom Cruise: "This is for 1986, asshole."

Side note: Ugh @ that list.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Just saw it last night in IMAX 3D.

So frickin fun! Everyone needs to see in in IMAX 3D or equivalent or better.

Yeah the plot is barely there and what there is of it makes no sense more or less but everything else is amazing!

The visuals! Man, I want to live there and swim in that water everyday.

Chiggs

Avatar: The Way Of Water Scores Monday January Record With $21M+​

20th Century Studios/Lightstorm/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water came out of New Year’s weekend on a roll scoring the best January Monday ever with $21.1M, ahead of American Sniper‘s Jan. 19 day back in 2015 of $17.9M. The 4-day run was $88M for the James Cameron directed sequel, -8% from its 4-day Christmas weekend, with a running total of $446.1M, 1% ahead of its comp Rogue One: A Star Wars Story through its first 18 days.

Industry estimates believe that Avatar 2‘s fourth weekend will be between $25M-$30M beating new wide release, Universal/Blumhouse’s PG-13 genre title M3GAN which is looking at $17M, despite tracking have that film higher in the lower $20Ms. Showtimes start Thursday at 5PM. Young females under 25 are the prime demo.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Oh no, not Age of Ultron! ;)

Too bad it won't beat the other truly shitty Avengers movie. :/

Last edited:

SlimySnake

He updated his worldwide range to $2.2-$2.8 billion & $670-$870 million domestic, movie's gonna have insane legs.

Domestic (Canada/US) all-time list.

image.png

Yaeh, its doing its own thing right now. I dont think anyone's going to truly guess where it will end up. $2.2-2.8 billion? $3 billion? Who knows at this point.

I will wait another week to see just how far it drops in a non-holiday month but even then its hard to say because this is the period when the OG Avatar finally started showing its legs week after week refusing to drop below $20 million throughout Jan and February.

SlimySnake

Oh no, not Age of Ultron! ;)

Too bad it won't beat the other truly shitty Avengers movie. :/
I dont know man. I think it just might beat it. It's breaking records left and right in its third week. Who knows what the next few weeks hold. At this point, ive come to accept that James Cameron has THE largest fanbase in the world. Nolan, Spielberg fanbases pale in comparison to the silent fanbase of this guy. In politics, they talk about the silent majority. People who dont spend all day on twitter or answering polls, but just show up on election day. I think thats what we saw with Titanic, Avatar and we are seeing the same thing now with Avatar 2.

As for End Game, I liked it originally especially the ending when they all come back but man it was an underhwelming finale otherwise. Green screen galore. The Thanos fight in Infinity War on Titan was much better choreographed. The lack of stakes in the first 2/3rds of the movie is quite something. They just find time travel in the first act then just go grab and the stones without any trouble in the 2nd act losing only black widow. Then its just bunch of fan service until they beat Thanos. It felt like a tv episode.

I am not a big fan of Avatar 2 either, but despite my qualms with the story, its impossible to shit on the quality of the movie. It doesnt feel cheap. It looks like they poured the same amount of love making this movie they did when making Titanic. I think people appreciate that level of dedication to the craft. It's probably why Tom Cruise's stunt heavy films are making money than ever nowadays. Same goes for Nolan's lack of reliance on CG. People want to reward hard work.

Chiggs

As for End Game, I liked it originally especially the ending when they all come back but man it was an underhwelming finale otherwise. Green screen galore. The Thanos fight in Infinity War on Titan was much better choreographed. The lack of stakes in the first 2/3rds of the movie is quite something. They just find time travel in the first act then just go grab and the stones without any trouble in the 2nd act losing only black widow. Then its just bunch of fan service until they beat Thanos. It felt like a tv episode.

Infinity War was superb. Endgame was a sloppy mess with two or three good moments. And shitting all over Hulk and Thor? Oh, fuck off, movie.

Last edited:
At this point, ive come to accept that James Cameron has THE largest fanbase in the world. Nolan, Spielberg fanbases pale in comparison to the silent fanbase of this guy. In politics, they talk about the silent majority. People who dont spend all day on twitter or answering polls, but just show up on election day. I think thats what we saw with Titanic, Avatar and we are seeing the same thing now with Avatar 2.

He only made a handful of movies but they were all unlike anything else. Just read Ebert's reviews of Aliens or True Lies to get a taste of their impact.
They were also prestige movies on TV. You just knew you were in a for a damn fine evening when one of his flicks was scheduled. Ever since True Lies you could enjoy them with your grandma too. Shit, my grandma who only watched soap operas happened to see Aliens with me and thought it was awesome.
This is not like Spielberg whose brand is diluted by the likes of Amistad or Jurassic Park 2.
Avatar was Cameron's seventh movie. Its final trailer namedropped every previous movie of his. People knew something huge was coming.

SlimySnake

Infinity War was superb. Endgame was a sloppy mess with two or three good moments. And shitting all over Hulk and Thor? Oh, fuck off, movie.
Reducing Thor and Hulk into joke characters was just a culmination of all the quips and jokes that had plagued these movies since Iron Man 2 and Thor Dark World. We shouldve seen it coming tbh. Everything is a joke to these people. Even their own characters.

I love how earnest Avatar 2 feels. It doesnt cheapen any emotional moments by adding quips like an insecure teenager. It doesnt feel the need to evoke laughter every few minutes. The few laughs that are there are earned and are genuinely funny. We know James Cameron can do quips and comedy because True Lies was downright hilarious at times, but while he understands this is a popcorn summer blockbuster releasing on christmas, he treats it like a real movie.

P.S I wanted to create a thread about this in Gaming, but Ive been shitting on GOW too much recently, but the father son relationship in Avatar 2 is so much more realistic than the hokey millennial dad spoiled brat relationship between Kratos and Atreus. I wont go into spoilers but the climax of both arcs involve sons teaching their dads after fucking up, but in Avatar, the kid isnt absolved of his fuck ups. Not by the story, and definitely not by his dad. Kratos was just so nerfed in Ragnorak, it pisses me off.

RaduN

Reducing Thor and Hulk into joke characters was just a culmination of all the quips and jokes that had plagued these movies since Iron Man 2 and Thor Dark World. We shouldve seen it coming tbh. Everything is a joke to these people. Even their own characters.

I love how earnest Avatar 2 feels. It doesnt cheapen any emotional moments by adding quips like an insecure teenager. It doesnt feel the need to evoke laughter every few minutes. The few laughs that are there are earned and are genuinely funny. We know James Cameron can do quips and comedy because True Lies was downright hilarious at times, but while he understands this is a popcorn summer blockbuster releasing on christmas, he treats it like a real movie.

P.S I wanted to create a thread about this in Gaming, but Ive been shitting on GOW too much recently, but the father son relationship in Avatar 2 is so much more realistic than the hokey millennial dad spoiled brat relationship between Kratos and Atreus. I wont go into spoilers but the climax of both arcs involve sons teaching their dads after fucking up, but in Avatar, the kid isnt absolved of his fuck ups. Not by the story, and definitely not by his dad. Kratos was just so nerfed in Ragnorak, it pisses me off.

Absolutely this ^

SlimySnake

Watched it for the second time today. Same IMAX 3D HFR showing. Enjoyed it a lot more this time. What stood out this time is that every shot in this movie is beautiful. The night shot that look so fake in Game of Thrones episodes look so fantastic here. It's dark, not grey, and yet you can still make out all the detail on the character's faces and the environment. I honestly cant believe it's all CG. The finale on the burning ship looks real.

Payakan is the MVP. The dude was a badass. I still have no idea why the sea clan disappeared as soon as the eclipse happened. Their daughter was still MIA as far as they are concerned. That said, the main battle was epic, and felt long and satisfying. So many cool boat crashes. Cameron can frame action like no other. One thing I noticed he in Avatar 1 was that he isnt afraid to use slow mo. This was right after Watchmen and 300 had come out and all the 'real' directors were shooting shaky cam, fast action stuff to not get lumped in with Snyder, but Cameron didnt care. Here, he uses slow mo several times and its amazing every time. The key is not to linger too long.

Another thing I noticed is how he doesnt fake the camera movement. Everything is CG, yes, but the camera doesnt move around unrealistically and that helps keep the action grounded. It's not zooming in and out like Panic Room. Even in aerial shots, the camera is moving just fast enough to keep track of the flying creatures. It's not off doing its own thing like in other action movies.

Only flaw or rather a missed opportunity i found this time around was that the relationship between the first born and Jake should've been explored a bit more. I say that because the ending flashback with him was actually kinda poignant. Would've been great to show how he was Jake's favorite and have his death really push Jake over the edge. Neytri going mad at the end killing humans and avatars left and right was amazing.

What an awesome movie. Cant believe we are getting another one in 2 years.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Officially surpasses Maverick sometime today (if not already).

https://deadline.com/2023/01/avatar...un-maverick-best-of-2022-1235211240/#comments

James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has now officially, and as projected, crossed the $1 billion mark at the international box office with Tuesday’s grosses included. What’s more for this 20th Century Studios/Disney juggernaut, at $1,482.5M worldwide through Tuesday, the epic sci-fi sequel is next on its way to yet another milestone and will top $1.5B global when today’s numbers are factored. In doing so, it will become the No. 1 worldwide release of 2022, surpassing Top Gun: Maverick’s $1.489B.

Sorry, flyboys!

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Last edited:

Chiggs

Prediction time:

• We're introduced to the bad Navi tribes, who team up with Quaritch.
    • While gently tip-toeing away from the noble savage trope, Cameron is eviscerated for being racist. :rolleyes:
  • Spider turns bad
    • Neytiri vows to kill him.
  • Stuff I cannot predict happens.

• Quaritch kills general Ardmore and becomes the supreme ruler of Pandora
  • Neytiri kills Spider
  • Quaritch kills Neytiri
  • Massively destructive attack on Bridgehead City by Jake Sully and friends.

• Neytiri is "reborn" on earth
    • Cannot believe what a shithole it has become, but acknowledges the ingenuity of Dippin' Dots ice cream.
  • Neytiri travels back to Pandora with a group of "good" humans.
  • Massive battle for Pandora takes place.

Bookmark this post, people!

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I have just seen it.

Movie vise better than the first one.

Visiual vise, its like nothing ive ever seen. Seems incredible when you compare to recent movies with awful cgi.

The movie drags a bit in the middle but that 3rd act was insaneee.

Hope it doesnt take another 10 years for them to release the sequel.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hope it doesnt take another 10 years for them to release the sequel.
They filmed part 3 and some of part 4 at the same time as part 2. So they're currently working on all the special effects for part 3 and it's tentatively scheduled to come out December of 2024. However, there is concern that they may miss that December release date just due to the sheer amount and quality of the effects work that needs to be done to finish these movies.

So in theory, part 3 will be relatively soon, but there's rumors that there may be a decent gap for parts 4 and 5.

Spyxos

Poor you. The same will happen in December 2023, 2024 and 2025 :D

SlimySnake

They filmed part 3 and some of part 4 at the same time as part 2. So they're currently working on all the special effects for part 3 and it's tentatively scheduled to come out December of 2024. However, there is concern that they may miss that December release date just due to the sheer amount and quality of the effects work that needs to be done to finish these movies.

So in theory, part 3 will be relatively soon, but there's rumors that there may be a decent gap for parts 4 and 5.
The success of this movie might convince Disney to give Jimbo the money to shoot the remaining two movies while they finish up the CG work on 3. If the shooting is done by December 2024 then 2 years should be enough time to finish up the CG.

Though like you said, it might take an extra year. From what Ive heard, Jim has already started receiving the final shots from Weta Digital for the third movie. 2-3 years max is what id say.

The movie drags a bit in the middle

This is how I felt but on my second watch it just flew by. I guess I gained a new appreciation of how everything fits together. It was overwhelming the first time.

Legal trick???

But why?

Sanctions or whatever, but they can use Russian DCPs from CIS countries. So those countries will report slightly lower box-office lol.
Some people say the DCPs were pirated, but that needs a quantum computer.

AJUMP23

I saw the movie thought it was fun but dumb, far too long. I don't know why we celebrate it making money when we have no skin in that game though. If I got a percent of the gross, then I want it to be amazing, if I don't then I have no vested interest. It can come and go like anything else.

Top Bottom