• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Draugoth

Gold Member
FRXvaJKXIAMo3YF

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16 (and December 14 overseas) Disney will also re-release Avatar (2009) on September 23 around the world, with remastered audio/video. All four Avatar movies will "create a connected saga" The trailer for the second Avatar movie will premiere ahead of Doctor Strange next week

Last edited:
Definitely going to the theater. Feels like the first major film event for me in years.

“At the center of each of the four sequels will be the Sully family. Each story will be a stand-alone and each will come to its own conclusion,” he added. There will be a “fulfilling resolution to each film, but when looked at as a whole the journey across all four will create a larger epic saga.”

That's interesting if true. Most trilogies really leave the middle and end movies feeling differently. Is it seriously going to be 4 more films?

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
Does anyone care any more? The first one was over a decade ago.

Industry wisdom says never bet against Cameron. They said titanic would be shit. Became the highest grossing film. They said avatar would be a flop. Same story. Now Avatar 2... Yeah, I wanna say nobody cares but when they start marketing the shit out of it everyone will remember it was quite the cute novel experience at the cinema.

That, and the first one made big money when it re-released in China last year.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The only reason I might see this is because Giavanni Ribisi is literally my favorite actor. If he's not in it I give zero fucks about this movie.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Industry wisdom says never bet against Cameron. They said titanic would be shit. Became the highest grossing film. They said avatar would be a flop. Same story. Now Avatar 2... Yeah, I wanna say nobody cares but when they start marketing the shit out of it everyone will remember it was quite the cute novel experience at the cinema.

That, and the first one made big money when it re-released in China last year.
I could get behind that line of thinking if this was 2019, but it has been a really long time and the only time I remember that Avatar exists is in these annual threads on GAF.

I could get behind that line of thinking if this was 2019, but it has been a really long time and the only time I remember that Avatar exists is in these annual threads on GAF.
This is basically the last gasp of the cool 80s Hollywood that actually made original IP, like Terminator, Abyss, Back to the Future, and on. After they all age out of film making it's the end of the auteur director driven era, and into the corporate board consensus, endless reboot, superhero future.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm down for more Avatar. Cameron is the undisputed 🐐. It's a cinema experience like no other, even if his scripts are somewhat middling. I also would like Disney to release Avatar in 4K, only have it on DVD, and while it still looks nice, 4K undoubtedly will look 🔥

Last edited:

ManaByte

I'm down for more Avatar. Cameron is the undisputed 🐐. It's a cinema experience like no other, even if his scripts are somewhat middling. I also would like Disney to release Avatar in 4K, only have it on DVD, and while it still looks nice, 4K undoubtedly will look 🔥
The 4K version is coming this year.

Vick

Gold Member
The only reason I might see this is because Giavanni Ribisi is literally my favorite actor. If he's not in it I give zero fucks about this movie.
Love the guy, always stood out to me. Funniest character in TED yet makes me cry and almost gives me PTSD every time i watch Saving Private Ryan.

That said, i'm excited as fuck. Never bet against Jimbo.

Hari Seldon

The first one was probably the only movie I paid to see that I wanted to walk out of. Not a chance in hell I will see this crap.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Seems a ton of people are super amped about this, but I remember the consensus for the first one being that it was visually stunning, but otherwise mediocre?

sol_bad

This is basically the last gasp of the cool 80s Hollywood that actually made original IP, like Terminator, Abyss, Back to the Future, and on. After they all age out of film making it's the end of the auteur director driven era, and into the corporate board consensus, endless reboot, superhero future.

If you really believe that you need to expand on what you watch beyond block busters.

kikkis

I actually liked first avatar, and the whole "plot is a copy from something else" was ridiculous. That said I am unlikely to go to theaters for this.

RaduN

While not the most original story, the first one had a heart, and the storytelling was sound.
You truly felt that the creator wanted to send a message, to make "some" connections, more or less subtle (well...less, but they were still there and they worked). Not something block busters today bother with.
This one will most likely be a worthy sequel, and it'll probably shatter records yet again.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Trailer for a week only in cinema before online? Not down with that at all, all we’ll be seeing is shitty phone copies of what’s meant to blow us away as 99% of peoples first experiences with it.

MastaKiiLA

Dude...it's James Fucking Cameron. If you give even the slightest shit about action flicks, this is must-see. He's probably the only director going this long who's still batting 1.000 on his films. Not even Spielberg has this impeccable a record. In James We Trust.

thefool

Cool, I'm in. It's a shame Cameron "wasted" so much of his late career in this franchise but I'm always excited for his movies.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Day 1. Will be a visual masterpiece. Cameron is the Naughty Dog of Hollywood, his movies just look better.

But MAN... We need theaters with better projectors, im sick and tired of seeing movies with dull, washed out screens.

Last edited:
Day 1. Will be a visual masterpiece. Cameron is the Naughty Dog of Hollywood, his movies just look better.

But MAN... We need theaters with better projectors, im sick and tired of seeing movies with dull, washed out screens.

The projectors work fine, it's the manager's fault they're dim. The movies are delivered with a paper that says exactly how the projectors and sound system must be set up and they're all perfectly capable of those settings. The managers are trying to extend the lifespan of the equipment by keeping it at lower levels.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Find a Dolby Cinema in your city. They use newer projectors.

TonyK

Avatar 1 is my favourite movie (not the best movie, obviously, but my favourite), looking forward the sequels but at the same time a bit skeptical about them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Seems a ton of people are super amped about this, but I remember the consensus for the first one being that it was visually stunning, but otherwise mediocre?
Groundbreaking technology behind the visuals, beautiful cinematography, interesting universe and lore.

Story is cliche "white savior" trope done many times before. Characters are one dimensional.

Overall a positive experience. I'll still watch the sequels.

Von Hugh

They made the first Avatar 13 years ago, and now there's suddenly four sequels back to back for the next 6 years? Feels like this is just a massive retirement money project for Cameron.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
its a motherfucking new James Cameron film, any movie buff worth his salt will go and see this for the sheer spectacle of it, this is the guy that pushes cinema forward and who the fuck doesn't want to see the next generation of movie making?

DKehoe

Gold Member
They made the first Avatar 13 years ago, and now there's suddenly four sequels back to back for the next 6 years? Feels like this is just a massive retirement money project for Cameron.
They've been working on the sequels simultaneously. I'm maybe mistaken but I don't believe he really took time off between Avatar 1 coming out and him starting work on 2. So it's not like he fucked around for years, then decided he wanted to make some more money and so went back to the Avatar well.

Top Bottom