• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'll be very surprised if these movies don't stink.

Hated the original Avatar with a passion though, and think Cameron is a terrible, terrible writer. So what he's going to do when building out from "dances with smurfs" is the stuff of nightmares for me. The guy's never had an original idea in his life, so 4 movies... yikes.

I think people who expect a giant leap in visuals will be disappointment if Cameron doesn't deliver. The teaser and shots I've seen have been very underwhelming imo. I'll wait till it's on VOD.

Hated the original Avatar with a passion though, and think Cameron is a terrible, terrible writer. So what he's going to do when building out from "dances with smurfs" is the stuff of nightmares for me. The guy's never had an original idea in his life, so 4 movies... yikes.
I don't even remember it to hate it. The only reason Im reminded of its existence is because fanboys are still splooging themselves over how much money it made, weird kink but whatever.

RaduN

motion capture tech changes
As much as i respect and enjoy most of what James Cameron does, Hideo Kojima was elevating the medium, including doing groundbreaking motion capture in his video games waay before Cameron even knew how to spell it 🤨
Cameron did zip for video games.

Vick

Gold Member
As much as i respect and enjoy most of what James Cameron does, Hideo Kojima was elevating the medium, including doing groundbreaking motion capture in his video games waay before Cameron even knew how to spell it 🤨
Dude..

robert-patrick-t1000.jpg

Cameron and his team at ILM were doing motion capture before it was even invented.

Last edited:

Aggelos

No, the answer is no. James Cameron was way ahead of Hideo Kojima in the use of motion capture for the visual effects. Kojima and his associates did not use motion capturing techniques until the production of Metal Gear Solid 2. MGS1's character motion was hand-made (key frame animation).
James Cameron and ILM, on the other hand, were pushing the envelope with The Abyss and Terminator 2

Is it an off screen leak?

off-screen recorded, not direct-feed.
Still waiting for the official 20th Century Fox account to upload the direct-feed, sometime next week perhaps. Because this needs to be viewed in 4K.

Last edited:

sol_bad

off-screen recorded, not direct-feed.
Still waiting for the official 20th Century Fox account to upload the direct-feed, sometime next week perhaps. Because this needs to be viewed in 4K.

What's the best site for 4k movie trailers?

Aggelos

What's the best site for 4k movie trailers?

Hard to say.
Some official Video-gaming Company accounts or Film Studio accounts upload 4K quality trailers on youtube. Don't know what 20th Century Studios plan to do with Avatar 2, though.
If they don't upload in 4K, then I will search in the interwebz for a 1080p Apple ProRes version of the trailer.

Fingers crossed that the official avatar account will upload in 4K the trailer, next week

Last edited:

ManaByte

Watched the trailer a few times and Spider (the human adopted by Jake and Neytiri) isn’t wearing a gas mask when outside on Pandora. I wonder if they explain how a human can adapt to the toxic gasses like that.

Vick

Gold Member
Watched the trailer a few times and Spider (the human adopted by Jake and Neytiri) isn’t wearing a gas mask when outside on Pandora. I wonder if they explain how a human can adapt to the toxic gasses like that.
But.. he is though?

On the other hand feels like the Na'vi can either breathe underwater or hold their breath for insanely long periods.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

It's a marmite film. People love it or hate it.

Clearly more people loved it than hated it because it became one of the highest grossing films of all time. Avatar is also insanely popular in China.

The sequels will be a hit. I'd bet my dick on it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Clearly more people loved it than hated it because it became one of the highest grossing films of all time. Avatar is also insanely popular in China.

The sequels will be a hit. I'd bet my dick on it.

Quite likely!

Not saying Cameron's stuff isn't wildly popular, just that personally I don't think its justified. For instance I'd rate peak Spielberg way higher. Terminator was great, and I do like most of his work, I just don't love it. His writing being a particular weakness.

Avatar though was a real Emperor's new clothes moment for me. I just felt like... underneath the technical achievement there was nothing of substance or interest. For a supposed "passion" project, it felt soulless and contrived.

Doom85

Look up Terminator 2 sometime. Jesus.

I mean, Terminator was influenced by the works of Harlan Ellison. But regardless, it is extreme to call Cameron unoriginal entirely in his writing, as every fictional work is influenced by prior works no matter how far back you go. It’s splitting hairs to call it out unless something is extremely derivative.

ManaByte

I mean, Terminator was influenced by the works of Harlan Ellison. But regardless, it is extreme to call Cameron unoriginal entirely in his writing, as every fictional work is influenced by prior works no matter how far back you go. It’s splitting hairs to call it out unless something is extremely derivative.

Look up the Winds of Altair by Ben Bova.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Trailer

Why are we not raining hell on the Navi in any scene 🤬
Holy smokes, that looks incredible.
I really dont think in this covid world whether this film will come close to the orig films ridiculous worldwide gross, but i think it will be closer than a lot of people think. In fact i could easily see a billion from China alone.
The stunning vistas and shots in that trailer, combined with that glorious ambient music, well its going to get the hype going for a lot of movie goers.

I was actually watching the blu ray of the orig film the other day at my Dads and i was thinking how much better could a sequel 12 years later possibly look (honestly some of the scenes in the orig film still look stunning), but even in this crappy quality trailer you can see how improved everyhting looks, especially in the close ups.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
Spider-Man literally just made $1.9 billion. Without China.
Yeah but its only superhero movies that are currently grossing the kind of numbers you would of expected pre covid. Everything else is either doing decent, underperforming, or downright flopping.

Having said that, after browzing various sites and seeing the responces to the trailer, maybe AVATAR will kick covid in its nuts. If anyone can, Cameron can.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
No, I don't think so. The impression I've gotten over the years is that people don't think much of it. It looked nice, but wasn't very meaningful or impactful.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Incredulous Questioning GIF

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No, I don't think so. The impression I've gotten over the years is that people don't think much of it. It looked nice, but wasn't very meaningful or impactful.

I know a lot of people who like the film, myself included and a lot of people in this thread. It also got pretty good reviews and made over 2bl at the box office.

However, there are some people who absolutely hate it.

It's marmite.

Aggelos

Spider-Man literally just made $1.9 billion. Without China.

I think the way No Way Home panned out is good news for James Cameron, indicating that the time is right to release Avatar 2. Whether it's gonna do as good as the original Avatar, that's anyone's guess.
Since Cameron is a die-hard supporter of the big screen experience and giving audiences visual spectacle of the next level, I don't think you can find a better year/timing to release the film (ever since the pandemic started in early 2020). Besides principal photography, filming, performance capture, motion capture and whatnot took James Cameron 3 years to complete.

"Preliminary shooting for the film started in Manhattan Beach, California, on August 15, 2017, followed by principal photography simultaneously with Avatar 3 in New Zealand on September 25, 2017; filming concluded in late September 2020, after over three years of shooting, despite production being interrupted due to the COVID-19 pandemic."

"Spider-Man No Way Home has grossed over $1.8 billion worldwide, surpassing its predecessor as the highest-grossing film released by Sony Pictures. It became the highest-grossing film of 2021, the sixth-highest-grossing film of all time, the highest grossing Spider-Man film, and set several other box office records, including those for films released during the COVID-19 pandemic."

Last edited:

ManaByte

I really hope the trailer music is from the movie’s composer. If it is, it eases any worries of the lack of Horner.

ManaByte

What was the thought process of having one release an age ago and then the final 3 all within a couple of years in 2020?
He was writing scripts for four movies while developing a new kind of submarine so he could dive to the floor of the Mariana Trench while filming it.

Vick

Gold Member
Can't stop watching the Trailer. That damn music is just..

nicholas-cage-hair.gif

Waiting for the official release to play this shit on the home theatre over and over.

I really hope the trailer music is from the movie’s composer. If it is, it eases any worries of the lack of Horner.
It certainly is, the guy worked with Horner on basically every movie.

ZERO concerns about the soundtrack personally.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looks more of the same which is slightly disappointing because I was expecting Cameron to blow me away with next gen visuals all over again but i guess you cant get better than photorealism, can you.

Music is phenomenal and action/camera framing is a breath of fresh air. Thats why ive always loved James Cameron movies. He's not afraid to let the action breathe. Doesnt feel compelled or insecure enough to constantly cut. Even Nolan who is better than most modern directors has a bad habit of cutting too soon which annoys the crap out of me. I dont want to be left wanting more. Im already there, just let me see it.

I am watching LOTR in 4k this week. Again, not all of the action scenes are framed well, but there are so many great panning shots in the middle of a high octane chase that just makes me miss watching movies from these incredible old school directors. The new class of directors are fucking trash.

ManaByte

Perhaps.

Or perhaps his focus was on innovating 3d rendering and high framerate modes this time around.

They obviously improved the visuals in a way that doesn't translate with a cam recording as they went back and remastered the original movie and will be re-releasing it in theaters in September followed by a 4K home release.

SlimySnake

They obviously improved the visuals in a way that doesn't translate with a cam recording as they went back and remastered the original movie and will be re-releasing it in theaters in September followed by a 4K home release.
man i was hoping for a 4k release this summer but im glad i can finally experience it again in 3D.

SlimySnake

James Horner was working with James Cameron on the Avatar sequels before his untimely death. it's possible this piece is from Horner. Definitely sounds like his work.

But if not, color me impressed.

Vick

Gold Member
And even on this low quality, PBR is noticeably improved alot on those vines/roots in the first shot. Neytiri close up as well.

Can't wait for the direct feed man.

Top Bottom