• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

Tieno

Love the corridor crew video's. It's becoming like a platform for VFX houses to show off and give insight into their hard work.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Titanic pulled in $22 million this weekend, including both domestic and international? Jesus Christ!

wiwfDD3.png

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Are you counting the gross in Taiwan as part of China as well?

Hate to be the bear of bad news, you were wrong no matter how you twist it🤦‍♂️

It'll pass 2 billion without China in 1 day & China+Tawian (23.8 million, it's dead there) soon after.

After this weekend, we're looking at a final gross of 2.29-2.32 billion.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Last edited:

FireFly

It'll pass 2 billion without China in 1 day & China+Tawian (23.8 million, it's dead there) soon after.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Still missing $21M. It’ll get there but just. Guess I’ll be off by a fraction of a percent.

octiny

Banned
Still missing $21M. It’ll get there but just. Guess I’ll be off by a fraction of a percent.

So you were wrong then as expected, even after moving goal posts? Don't feel too bad, you join 90% of the people in this thread who also didn't know how the B\O works & were wrong.

And by the way, Taiwan hasn't been included in China grosses when it comes to the Box Office since 1945, dating nearly all the way back to the beginning of B/O statistical tracking.

So it's already disingenuous to try & include their total into Chinas total in the first place, just because you knew you were going to be wrong. It doesn't work like that at the B/O & never will.

l5tTxHz.jpg

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Say what you will about Avatar 2's plot, but at least the main characters don't spend their time chasing MacGuffins, like the map to Luke Skywalker, or some gems for a glove. Sure, you've got Scoresby with the amrita, but holy hell do they go to great lengths to show you what entails the collection of that.

People always throw the "thin" plot critique at Avatar, but I think those same people are passing off a lack of, perhaps, plot intricacy, for simplicity...and those aren't the same things at all.

Even intricate plots can be woven on the basis of simplistic themes and stories. This is also generally why you don't see people listing a film they find to be more nuanced and complex than Avatar when critiquing it, because they know damn well any movie they cite as being more complex can be broken down easily, and therefore won't risk the debate.

Not really saying much when you are using TROS, probably the worst movie ever made as a comparison.

Chiggs

Not really saying much when you are using TROS, probably the worst movie ever made as a comparison.

The map to Luke Skywalker was introduced in The Force Awakens, which is what I was referencing, along with Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame.

But yeah, TRoS is pure ass.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah I’m so annoyed they haven’t done the original in 4k yet. Waiting to watch this one on disc

Agreed. It should be released with Way of Water. It makes sense to release them both together.

Cameron has said that Abyss and True Lies are getting a 4K disc this year, so here's hoping for Avatar as well. While James is at it, he might as well get Titanic out as well.

Chiggs

Guess who just won the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...r-the-way-of-water-vfx-oscar-2023-1235343383/

Surprising no one, Avatar: The Way of Water collected the Oscar in visual effects for its jaw-dropping work that helped to propel the movie to more than $2.2 billion at the box office, making it the third highest grossing movie of all time.

In doing so, Weta FX’s production senior VFX supervisor Joe Letteri collected his fifth competitive award in the category at the 2023 Oscars. He now joins Ken Ralston (Forrest Gump) in holding five competitive Oscars apiece in the category. Both trail Denis Murren (Jurassic Park), who holds the category record of eight competitive Academy Awards.

LO8b20a.jpg

Oh, and the film is going to cross 2.3 billion next week. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Kev Kev

After sleeping on it for a week, I think my only complaint is that the Avatar movies are too long. It would work better as a series for me. 45 minute to 1 hour long episodes or something like that. I saw Antman: Quantamania yesterday and it was great at a 2 hour runtime, but any more than that and I just get kind of exhausted.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just bought my iTunes copy. One of the very, very rare times I've purchased a digital copy at full price.

Worth it. Can't wait to watch this again!

Top Bottom