• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

nush

Gold Member
They've been working on the sequels simultaneously. I'm maybe mistaken but I don't believe he really took time off between Avatar 1 coming out and him starting work on 2. So it's not like he fucked around for years, then decided he wanted to make some more money and so went back to the Avatar well.

Same guy that only made T2 because The Abyss bombed and he needed to get his cred back? Same guy who said every Terminator sequel he wasnt involved with was good before release?

DKehoe

Gold Member
Same guy that only made T2 because The Abyss bombed and he needed to get his cred back? Same guy who said every Terminator sequel he wasnt involved with was good before release?
I'm not some Avatar superfan. But he clearly seems to be enthusiastic about this series.

The first one was the biggest film ever. He could have made whatever he wanted after that. And he decided to make a whole bunch of Avatar sequels. It suggests that's where his interest is.

With the Terminator stuff my impression was his name was tied to it and that was basically it. Maybe they had a consultation meeting with him for each one where he gave some feedback on things but it's not like he was the driving creative force like he has been with Avatar.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Seeing the leaked titles confirmed is an interesting development. Potentially confirms some of the other leaks that last around that same time.

I'll be there opening night, and it'll be a fucking event. Never bet against James Cameron.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Well he’s not going to be unprofessional by shitting on those Terminator movies before release would he?

As far as I’m concerned there’s only two Terminator movies anyway.

Last edited:

nocsi

They've been working on the sequels simultaneously. I'm maybe mistaken but I don't believe he really took time off between Avatar 1 coming out and him starting work on 2. So it's not like he fucked around for years, then decided he wanted to make some more money and so went back to the Avatar well.
Lol this is James Cameron you’re talking about. He actually fucks around and makes movies afterwards.

Titanic was an excuse for him to fuck around filming the sunken ship. With avatar 2 we’re back underwater, surprise surprise. I promise you James Cameron’s swindles movie studios and convinces them of an awesome underwater plot when he just wants someone to bankroll his real life underwater adventures. He literally fucks around underwater and somehow makes movies out of it. He probably wanted to do aqua man too until entourage mocked that idea

Anyways I have a theory this guy premade all 4 avatars to trickle them out to theatres.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Lol this is James Cameron you’re talking about. He actually fucks around and makes movies afterwards.

Titanic was an excuse for him to fuck around filming the sunken ship. With avatar 2 we’re back underwater, surprise surprise. I promise you James Cameron’s swindles movie studios and convinces them of an awesome underwater plot when he just wants someone to bankroll his real life underwater adventures. He literally fucks around underwater and somehow makes movies out of it. He probably wanted to do aqua man too until entourage mocked that idea

Anyways I have a theory this guy premade all 4 avatars to trickle them out to theatres.
But that was kinda my point. He could have done basically whatever he wanted and the studio he worked with would have gone along with it. I meant "fucked around" in the sense of doing nothing and then realising he needed to make some more money and how that wasn't the case with him. It seems like he's been working on stuff for Avatar the whole time.

And it's not a theory that he premade the sequels. He openly said for years that the plan was to make them back to back

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's not a theory, that's what he actually did!

He finished principle photography in 2018!!!!

Which is nice, because now they have all the time they need to get the CGI right. Biggest problem with movies today is the rushed CGI (well, beyond the shit script, bad directors who don't know how to frame action, actors mailing in their performance, etc but none of those should affect a Cameron project). So long as they don't have to do any major course corrections these 4 films are all in the bag.

If avatar 2 bombs (which I have a hard time believing) then at worst D+ has streaming fodder for a while. But seriously, does anyone expect these films to NOT kick ass financially? They will be visually spectacular at the very least. So barring some sort of horrible plot shift that just straight alienates a huge chunk of viewers I think it's a pretty safe bet these 4 films will make Disney a bunch of money.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
A lot of people are funny here. Shitting on the film before we get even a small glimpse of it.
Watch them be hyped as the release will be closer.

Jersey Shore Reaction GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

MastaKiiLA

The Abyss is a fucking classic. I don't care how it performed in the box office. The Abyss is a fucking classic film. If that is considered the low-point of Cameron's career, he's still leagues ahead of the best most others have to offer. Box office isn't an indicator of quality.

The Abyss is a fucking classic. I don't care how it performed in the box office. The Abyss is a fucking classic film. If that is considered the low-point of Cameron's career, he's still leagues ahead of the best most others have to offer. Box office isn't an indicator of quality.
And not only that, but after Abyss and Titanic, and his life long obsession with water and diving - he's now returning to water with this film. Could be the best out of all of them for all we know.

Uhtred

I hope this doesn’t renew a push for home 3-D when they technology is not ready I’ll never forget walking into Best Buy over a decade ago and every TV being 3-D nobody gave a crap all it did was drive up the prices In a few years later 3-D got left in the dust again when will this industry learn.

Last edited:

Sygma

Does anyone care any more? The first one was over a decade ago.
Re releasing in theaters in september, all formats

+ id say that the insane traffic at Pandora (Disney world) still is a good showing of the upcoming success. Don't bet against Cameron, especially when the first Avatar single handedly changed both the cinema and the video game industry

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Re releasing in theaters in september, all formats

+ id say that the insane traffic at Pandora (Disney world) still is a good showing of the upcoming success. Don't bet against Cameron, especially when the first Avatar single handedly changed both the cinema and the video game industry
How did it change video games?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's so weird that this franchise is going to pick up again after all these years. I feel like I've lived through several major life milestones and changes since the first was in theaters.

Fbh

Finally, looking forward to this.
Avatar 1 was great, it doesn't have the best story but as a fun action packed visual treat I still like it more than most Marvel movies or most modern blockbuster.

Never got why people like to shit on it so much. People bitch about the story and writing in Avatar then go crap their pants at some mediocre Spider Man movie because it features nostaliga. Or you get stuff like "i can't believe it made so much money" as if it was sitting at the top of the box office next to deep philosophical dramas instead of stuff like Avangers End Game, Jurassic World, the Force Awakens, Titanic and Furious 7.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Avatar was an awful movie. Why anybody would want to see a sequel to this travesty is simply beyond me.
It’s a copy of Pocahontas yes but the story of Pocahontas is great so there is that.

The movie itself is great if you can come to therms with it borrowing a lot from different other IPs.

It will be a box office hit and people will ,again , eat crow after doubting Cameron.

Edit: do we know if A2 will be 4K throughout the production pipeline including vfx ? If someone is mad enough to do that it would be Cameron.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I wonder where the story will go with all these sequels. The first one was a pretty simple mix of Pocahontas and mother-earth environmentalism. What story could Cameron possibly want to tell that he needs four more movies?

Or maybe it‘s just that every movie features a different kind of exotic environment to wow the audience? The fist was mostly set in the jungle, while the second will presumably feature a lot of (under-)water environments. Maybe some kind of icy/arctic, and desert environment for the other two?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
haters gon hate but i'm sure as shit going to see it. i can't even remember much of the first movie but still this will be a good watch even if it's just to experience new enhancements in tech. it might not be a great movie but i respect someone putting a lot of work into something they believe in and that's what Cameron does with his movies.

Last edited:
To anyone who is interested in Avatar or moviemaking, I recommend the Making of Avatar book from 2010. You can find a PDF of it online if you don't care about the physical version. It explains a lot about the thought processes behind the story, Pandora and technology they literally had to invent.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
:messenger_weary:
Aww man...
Is anyone else super disappointed?

I was really hoping we would get..

SUPER NA'VI BABIES

9nr7Kcu.jpg

qDJTCNK.png

Movie Baby GIF

Getting Away Running GIF by Nickelodeon

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I went to the BFI IMAX in London and saw Avatar in 3D on release, and to this day visually it is still the most impressive 3D experience I've ever had. I remember the scene where all the seeds were floating around me and I was blown away!

This scene was so immersive.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I wish some cunt came along and swindled me into making a 1000% return on my investment, what a bastard....

nocsi

I wish some cunt came along and swindled me into making a 1000% return on my investment, what a bastard....
You don’t really understand theft in a business sense do you? If what I’m supposed to make is a movie, but first and foremost my ocean interests take precedent and production revolves around that. That starts crossing into conflict of interest. You see it happen in other movie productions too when they just shoehorn in some random tropical setting so the production can take a vacation on the studios dime.

But yea hurr durr investment return.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
You don’t really understand theft in a business sense do you? If what I’m supposed to make is a movie, but first and foremost my ocean interests take precedent and production revolves around that. That starts crossing into conflict of interest. You see it happen in other movie productions too when they just shoehorn in some random tropical setting so the production can take a vacation on the studios dime.

You don't think the movie studios keep an eye on how he's spending the money? They don't just give him a big sack with a dollar sign on it.

Artist in „artistic creation coincides with personal interests” shocker. Fucking Jimbo spent entire months researching spaceships on the studio's dime too!

The Titanic footage made it into the movie. One of the movie's selling points was its authenticity.

jason10mm

Gold Member
We had better get some sort of titanic pandoran version of a giant squid vs sperm whale vs great white shark battle, plus I want a human sub straight outta 20,000 leagues ramming shit with a big screw on the front.

Not sure what would drive an oceanic conflict since the unobtanium seems to be a land based mineral, but I'm sure Cameron will adapt something from the whaling era with oil and ambergris for this story.

Even better, I wonder if things will devolve to the point where "slaves" are being brought in a la the Carribean slave trade and we end up with a Saint Domingue/Haiti rebellion in later years (yes I'm listening to Dan Carlin).

Top Bottom