• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2 officially titled Avatar: The Way Of Water, releasing in NA on December 16

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
No one cares about 3D
giphy.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
its story, characters, environment/atmosphere...the world of Pandora is one I want to visit again and again I pray that they make a VR avatar game so I can step into the world virtually 🙏 might be the only game that gets me to purchase a VR headset
My joke is that this effects and immersion heavy film with exquisite sound and expansive visuals is....being watched on a phone.

Was it Cameron that bemoaned this? Maybe it was Fincher or Nolan.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
My joke is that this effects and immersion heavy film with exquisite sound and expansive visuals is....being watched on a phone.

Was it Cameron that bemoaned this? Maybe it was Fincher or Nolan.

lol my bad I wouldn't watch this on my phone before I saw it in theaters; I saw it 3 times in the theaters in 2D and one time in 3D IMAX so I'm fine rewatching a few parts of it here and there on my iPhone with its nice OLED screen when I have a break; but I'm a theatre going guy through and through and if I watch a movie for the first time not in theaters then I'll watch it first on my 65" OLED LG without any distractions. I usually only watch a movie/tv show on my phone if I've already seen it

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
4K Blu Ray when????????
One of the questions I came to ask as I barely buy blu-rays but this movie would strike me as do you want exception to the rule as I mostly digital otherwise.
I'm going to hold out for HFR. Surely something is coming. I dont get it.
Wasn't it high frame rate in the theater? Like 48 fps? I don't remember since I went to see it at the IMAX but I remember it being really fluid and, yes, I did watch it in 3D and it was pretty damn good but I don't really care about that.

What is available for purchase is pretty good quality though it's hard to really argue that you are getting some highly inferior version based on the internet reception.

That being said, for a movie like this, I would what a pretty uncompromised experience in terms of audio and visual. As William Wallace's best friend said I'm Braveheart, "I hope we didn't get this high end equipment forrrr nothin!".

Punished Miku

Gold Member
One of the questions I came to ask as I barely buy blu-rays but this movie would strike me as do you want exception to the rule as I mostly digital otherwise.

Wasn't it high frame rate in the theater? Like 48 fps? I don't remember since I went to see it at the IMAX but I remember it being really fluid and, yes, I did watch it in 3D and it was pretty damn good but I don't really care about that.

What is available for purchase is pretty good quality though it's hard to really argue that you are getting some highly inferior version based on the internet reception.

That being said, for a movie like this, I would what a pretty uncompromised experience in terms of audio and visual. As William Wallace's best friend said I'm Braveheart, "I hope we didn't get this high end equipment forrrr nothin!".
Yeah it was variable frame rate in the theater. Went high on action scenes, wings flapping etc. Then close up dialogue dropped to cinematic 24 frames.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The 4k BD will likely feature 60fps HFR
No. They are not going to render the movie in 60fps for BD release. 48/60fps makes no sense ,per Cameron, in a lot of scenes. Its going to be 24fps, I grantee it.
Sadly variable FR is not supported by BD. So a "true to theater" version could only land in digital form or on streaming sides.

Batiman

Banned
Watched this yesterday finally. Rate it about 7/10. Very average story with bland characters. The Navi still look straight out of a video game. They look great during movement. Swimming, running, riding mounts etc. But standing around and talking they just look so off to me. Even their slight movements and animation look like a video game to me for some reason.

It was enjoyable though. Cameron really made a great world. Love the human tech and structures. Kind of remind me of halo unsc. Great mech and creature designs.

Sometimes the movie pushed its visuals too much. Felt like I was watching Fantasia at some points or a planet earth documentary. It takes you right out of the movie. When he starts swimming with the whale it looks gorgeous. Then there’s a stop and just more swimming with the whale just to push its visuals. Should of been chopped down at least 15 min

kikkis

Watched this yesterday finally. Rate it about 7/10. Very average story with bland characters. The Navi still look straight out of a video game. They look great during movement. Swimming, running, riding mounts etc. But standing around and talking they just look so off to me. Even their slight movements and animation look like a video game to me for some reason.

It was enjoyable though. Cameron really made a great world. Love the human tech and structures. Kind of remind me of halo unsc. Great mech and creature designs.

Sometimes the movie pushed its visuals too much. Felt like I was watching Fantasia at some points or a planet earth documentary. It takes you right out of the movie. When he starts swimming with the whale it looks gorgeous. Then there’s a stop and just more swimming with the whale just to push its visuals. Should of been chopped down at least 15 min
I think they look worse during movement and better when still. Like when spider moves with navi, they mostly lack the fat and muscle movements and look somewhat stiff.

Finally watched it yesterday. Story is not that great but these movies obviously ain't about the story. Still it kept me hooked for the three hours. Could it be shorter? Yeah easily but 99% of scenes were jawdropping. The scene where the big whale thing appears looked really bad and there were 1 or 2 quick shots that made me think "They obviously rushed that". The animations look choppy at times but it's still incredible how good the motion capture is and there really isn't anything better than this in any other movies. It's the most "Life like" CGI i've ever seen but it still sticks out compared to the real live action stuff. I'd like to see future movies improve the lighting even further.

I was one of the people who was wondering why we were getting another Avatar but shit I think I'll definitely be going to see 3, 4 and 5.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finally watched it yesterday. Story is not that great but these movies obviously ain't about the story. Still it kept me hooked for the three hours. Could it be shorter? Yeah easily but 99% of scenes were jawdropping. The scene where the big whale thing appears looked really bad and there were 1 or 2 quick shots that made me think "They obviously rushed that". The animations look choppy at times but it's still incredible how good the motion capture is and there really isn't anything better than this in any other movies. It's the most "Life like" CGI i've ever seen but it still sticks out compared to the real live action stuff. I'd like to see future movies improve the lighting even further.

I was one of the people who was wondering why we were getting another Avatar but shit I think I'll definitely be going to see 3, 4 and 5.
Well worth it to see on a giant screen. Looks insane at high frame rate

Scotty W

Gold Member
I liked the movie, but the parts where they are almost drowning are stupid. They can hold their breaths for ages and suddenly they can hardly swim 10 feet. Also the monkey boy is an asshole.
I agree with you in being annoyed at the monkey boy. However, the basic character concept is brilliant. A character who can seamlessly and plausibly move through worlds. Great storytelling device.

Well worth it to see on a giant screen. Looks insane at high frame rate

Nice avatar!

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Wait, the digital Version (Apple TV+?) is capped at 24fps and 200nits (static metadata)... basically no HDR. wtf Cameron. As much as his movies push cinema tech, they are absolute turds in pushing home cinema. :(

Edit: Even the 4k BD preorder list it as HDR10, not HDR10+ or DV. Why?... this could have been a reference disc.

Last edited:

Fatmanp

I have about 40 mins remaining. It has not held my attention for a period of more than five minutes. It is at least 60 minutes too long.

Bragr

Banned
When the whale with the post-traumatic stress disorder told the Navi kid that he had trouble talking about his past, It almost broke me, I almost turned it off. But I endured.

The first 30-40 minutes establish that the humans are back on Pandora, and Jake Sully and his new kids & dreadlocks must haul ass over to the water Navi. From there on out we barely see Jake Sully and his wife, who pops in every 45 minutes to complain and hiss. The movie then completely ignores the forest Navi that is in a war with the humans, which Jake Sully started by burning their bulldozers at the beginning of the movie, and they are likely getting annihilated after Jake Sully left.

Then the movie COMPLETELY restarts and they spend the next 1 and a half hours with the Navi kids and how they learn to swim. All the kids are annoying and can't stop calling each other "bro". Which feels out of place, considering they are aliens and all.

This weird discombobulated approach of restarting the movie when they get to the water Navi makes it feel longer than it should, and it's already too long.

At one point, the water Navi kids lure Sully's kid into the deep ocean, and he almost gets eaten by a shark-like thing. But Sully doesn't give a shit, the kids just get a stern talking to, even if the water kids essentially tried to murder Sully's child.

When Sully came to the water people, they feared he would bring the war to them. But they end up thinking "meh" and let him stay. In fact, out of all the hundreds of humans and Navi that get killed, no one really gives a shit, as long as Sully and his dumbass kids survive, everyone else can apparently die in hell. They didn't even bother to bury the scores of dead Navi at the end, only Sully's kid, and 90% of the humans the Navi slaughtered, were just normal scientists.

The evil human colonel is looking for Sully and eventually figures out that he is hiding among the water Navi, and he proceeds to kill whales to lure them out. And the last battle really makes you scratch your head.

The stupid post-traumatic stress disorder whale jumps unto the human ship and conveniently got bulletproof skin, and wrecks the ship. The Navi, for dramatic effect, forgets how to swim and hold their breath as they get trapped in the ship's hull, which makes you wonder if you are watching the same movie, as they literally spent most of the movie learning to hold their breath.

And, as you should have guessed, the end fight consists of the evil colonel and Sully fighting hand-to-hand with knives, as all shitty movies must. They both end up in the sea and drown. But not really, as they both get saved by their kids even if they clearly were lifeless and dead.

It's a bit weird with the evil colonel though, as his ugly dreadlocked fucking idiot Spider kid found him long after he drowned, and Spider then must have pulled the colonel, in the form of a huge Navi, out of the ocean and unto the land where the colonel apparently un-drowned and was fine.

The colonel then flies off to star in the third movie, and the movie finally ends.

It's nothing like the first movie, which was alright. 3 out of 10.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
When the whale with the post-traumatic stress disorder told the Navi kid that he had trouble talking about his past, It almost broke me, I almost turned it off. But I endured.

The first 30-40 minutes establish that the humans are back on Pandora, and Jake Sully and his new kids & dreadlocks must haul ass over to the water Navi. From there on out we barely see Jake Sully and his wife, who pops in every 45 minutes to complain and hiss. The movie then completely ignores the forest Navi that is in a war with the humans, which Jake Sully started by burning their bulldozers at the beginning of the movie, and they are likely getting annihilated after Jake Sully left.

Then the movie COMPLETELY restarts and they spend the next 1 and a half hours with the Navi kids and how they learn to swim. All the kids are annoying and can't stop calling each other "bro". Which feels out of place, considering they are aliens and all.

This weird discombobulated approach of restarting the movie when they get to the water Navi makes it feel longer than it should, and it's already too long.

At one point, the water Navi kids lure Sully's kid into the deep ocean, and he almost gets eaten by a shark-like thing. But Sully doesn't give a shit, the kids just get a stern talking to, even if the water kids essentially tried to murder Sully's child.

When Sully came to the water people, they feared he would bring the war to them. But they end up thinking "meh" and let him stay. In fact, out of all the hundreds of humans and Navi that get killed, no one really gives a shit, as long as Sully and his dumbass kids survive, everyone else can apparently die in hell. They didn't even bother to bury the scores of dead Navi at the end, only Sully's kid, and 90% of the humans the Navi slaughtered, were just normal scientists.

The evil human colonel is looking for Sully and eventually figures out that he is hiding among the water Navi, and he proceeds to kill whales to lure them out. And the last battle really makes you scratch your head.

The stupid post-traumatic stress disorder whale jumps unto the human ship and conveniently got bulletproof skin, and wrecks the ship. The Navi, for dramatic effect, forgets how to swim and hold their breath as they get trapped in the ship's hull, which makes you wonder if you are watching the same movie, as they literally spent most of the movie learning to hold their breath.

And, as you should have guessed, the end fight consists of the evil colonel and Sully fighting hand-to-hand with knives, as all shitty movies must. They both end up in the sea and drown. But not really, as they both get saved by their kids even if they clearly were lifeless and dead.

It's a bit weird with the evil colonel though, as his ugly dreadlocked fucking idiot Spider kid found him long after he drowned, and Spider then must have pulled the colonel, in the form of a huge Navi, out of the ocean and unto the land where the colonel apparently un-drowned and was fine.

The colonel then flies off to star in the third movie, and the movie finally ends.

Greta Van thundercatssterduffenberg how dare you.gif

E-Cat

Can't say that I disagree with any of your analysis -- other than the first movie being better. I still enjoyed it, though.

sinnergy

Your analysis 1 out of 100, terrible . Spotty first segment , no build up in the middle and a joke of an end 😘

Last edited:

Aggelos

So it’s out, but is the 4K blu ray even worth it.

It seems like that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I still wanna know whose job it was to render genitalia/nipples and when/where to do it. I only saw one nip slip and since this is all CGI it must have been deliberate, as I imagine the render models are ken/barbie types in general.

At this point forward I'm expecting all film nudity from any major production to be CG over pasties, prosthetics, and whatnot, the tech must be so cheap compared to paying the actress/actor extra and needing all that closed set/intimacy coordinator nonsense. Now that floppy junk is "ok" in films I'm just assuming all the guys are wearing latex.

Top Bottom