• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian woman calls 911, shot dead by responding police in Minneapolis

Nephtis

honestly unless there's actual evidence that the camera had a legit malfunction, whenever a cop does something like this they should be arrested and put in protected custody, only to be released after a trial (and backpay if he/she is not guilty).

But I bet they'd even find ways around that. And there's also the fact that a trial would probably just end in the officer's acquittal anyway.

Fuchsdh

DiscoJer

Unfortunately, people need to realize that any interaction with the police can result in someone being killed.

The only way to avoid getting killed by a cop is to avoid cops.

Kin5290

Jesus. She was engaged to marry in a few months as well. My condolences to her family, that's horrible.

On first read I mixed up the noise that she heard in the alley with whatever spurred the police officer to shoot an innocent bystander. Apparently that isn't known yet.

If it were a case of an officer hearing a noise and firing blindly in response, then that should be an open and shut case of wrong doing. Rule number 1 of guns is only fire if you know what you're firing at and are sure you want to kill it. I say should, because you never know what American juries would allow a bad cop to get away with these days.

Opto

Banned
Don't worry, the justice system has guaranteed a jury will see this as a cop acting in self defense because of the possibility of a life threatening situation. That woman could have been literally made out of guns!

MarionCB

"America sucks, these cops need to be trained differently and I need to move out of here."

Just about sums it up. I'd never consider moving to America and US police are just one reason.

Of course all the cameras were "off". Is it an offence for them to have them off when on-duty? If not, it needs to be.

Shauni

Why are so many American police officers so eager to pull out their guns?

Surely they're trained to use firearms in extreme circumstances only?

No, the exact opposite actually. Police Officers in America have very little training and are often taught that they should treat anything and everything as the most extreme threat, and they have basically no de-escalation training.

And I'm not being cheeky, 100% serious.

Jombie

The cop should be charged with murder, and I don't have a problem with the death penalty in this case. Fuck him.

rjinaz

No, the exact opposite actually. Police Officers in America have very little training and are often taught that they should treat anything and everything as the most extreme threat, and they have basically no de-escalation training.

And I'm not being cheeky, 100% serious.

There's also no real fear of consequences or accountability. They'll just be thankful they lived another night and all their police buddies, their local station, the city, the police unions, and ultimately any judges and juries will back them up.

Just gets weirder and weirder

Minnesota newspaper The Star Tribune reports Ms Damond was dressed in her pyjamas when she went to the driver’s side door of the police vehicle that responded to the emergency call.
She was talking to the driver when the officer in the passenger seat pulled out his gun and shot across his fellow officer.

MarionCB

A woman in her PJs talking to your fellow officer, so you just pull out your gun, fire across him and murder her. Like, fucking why would you do that??

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
A woman in her PJs talking to your fellow officer, so you just pull out your gun, fire across him and murder her. Like, fucking why would you do that??

She probably scratched her butt or something and mr jumpy mcnervous American cop thought she was going for a gun

Welp. That's just not true!

Young black men again faced highest rate of US police killings in 2016

The Counted project points to continuing racial disparities, with black males aged 15-34 nine times more likely than other Americans to be killed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

You're going by the risk % instead of the actual numbers here.

David___

Banned
People can't be in danger anymore if they're dead
flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

ftfy

There I was thinking two nervous cops picking there way down a dark alley with guns drawn and shooting at a shadow without asking any questions.
:(

Kin5290

Welp. That's just not true!

Young black men again faced highest rate of US police killings in 2016

The Counted project points to continuing racial disparities, with black males aged 15-34 nine times more likely than other Americans to be killed
Eh, it's apples and oranges. Many more whites are killed by police, but whites also make up over 65% of the population with a correspondingly higher number of interactions with police. Blacks are more likely to be killed by police given their smaller overall population, but fewer blacks are killed in terms of numbers than whites by police.

Demoskinos

This is so utterly disgusting. They took a life of a woman and shattered all the lives of the people who loved her and these fucking officers are at home with their feet propped up counting their paychecks they got.

I guess visitors from overseas need the same "how to deal with police so you don't trigger them" lessons that American kids are getting. Nobody calling the Australian police and talking to them through a car window would ever imagine that could be a risk.

Kin5290

Aren’t more white people than black people killed by police? Yes, but no.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...han-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/
Again, you are ignoring others' correct statements to push your own statistics. Which are not incorrect: African Americans are killed at a disproportionately high rate relative to the overall proportion of Americans who are black. But answering a question that is completely different from the one that the person you quoted was answering.

1) What the fuck?
2) Brushing over the question of whether the victim was hiding a Beretta in her pajamas, that's an insanely fucking unsafe to do: shooting a gun past your partner's body. You expect that kind of dumbfuck policing in hicksville, not in a city police force.
3) This has all the markings of a diplomatic incident. The Australian government has every reason to ask what the fuck happened.
4) What the fuck?

That's murder.

Yup sure is. Article here BTW

http://www.startribune.com/woman-ki...ed-shooting-in-south-minneapolis/434782213/#1

Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.

Saya

Minnesota newspaper The Star Tribune reports Ms Damond was dressed in her pyjamas when she went to the driver’s side door of the police vehicle that responded to the emergency call.
She was talking to the driver when the officer in the passenger seat pulled out his gun and shot across his fellow officer.

Wait, what the fuck?

Top Bottom