• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video (Let's Talk About The New PS5)

Do You Agree With Austin's Opinions On The New PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 21.5%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 162 37.0%
  • Waiting for Digital Foundry, Gamers Nexus and others to decide

Votes: 100 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Austin: "The new PS5 version runs a few degrees hotter. Might want to avoid it."
Totally-not-insane people: "How about we dox you and ruin your life for having an opinion."

Imagine getting this ass-mad by the opinion of a hack about a videogame console.
1: Doxxing is bad and stupid

2: he did present his opinion as expert analysis with conclusions... he's kind of an ass

But this is the problem. If you don't like what Austin said fine. No one said everyone has to agree. What he 'did' in no way rises in any way to him receiving death threats and being doxxed. I don't care what he said. Those things are not equal. It's like shooting a guy because he stepped in your shoe. That is not a proportional response. Austin has an opinion and should be able to express it without threatening him. Anyone else is free to do their own tests and reach their own conclusions without threat as well.

You're preaching to the choir. Go tell the people doxxing him not us

Look at a pretty fanboy trying so fucking hard to claim something and say I’m a radical fanboy. You guys are truly pathetic. You are going on my ignore list because I really can’t stand people like you who defend and act radical. That’s what you people are, all fanboys are radical and are very dangerous. It doesn’t matter if you are Sony, PC, Nintendo and Xbox. All are scum, so tired of people like you
But you are one.

Loxus

Yep, which is total bullshit and only serves to spread more misinformation, and some people are wondering why people are trashing him. I don't condone doxing or death threats, but if he'd only done some prior research he would know that PS5's variable frequency isn't driven by SoC temps, rather, it's driven by the algorithm based on a model PS5 SoC. So every PS5 behaves the same, as Cerny put it, "It doesn't matter if you put it in your stereo cabinet or your refrigerator, your PS5 will get the same frequencies for CPU and GPU as any other PS5."

TLDR: PS5 chip DOESN'T throttle based on SoC temps, and you won't get worse perf just because they changed the cooler like Austin's been saying. That's a lie.
This^
And the heatsink is still huge compared to other heatsinks, like the ones in GPUs.

Not to mention it's using liquid metal. Everyone all of a sudden forgot the PS5 cooling is using liquid metal and that's coupled with a still large heatsink.

I don't even know why people would worry about the console overheating.

Last edited:
I enjoy it seems like you are defending them but at the same time calling them King trash.
Yeah good one... He picked that name himself, dont blame me. And i'am not defending him, when he is right than he is right to point out that guy is telling lies, ore are you defending that sloppy method the guy was using, ore his clearly stupid conclusions?
And his defence was like a kid that got caught with is hand in the cookie jar....

Last edited:
Yeah good one... He picked that name himself, dont blame me. And i'am not defending him, when he is right than he is right to point out that guy is telling lies, ore are you defending that sloppy method the guy was using?
And his defence was like a kid that got caught with is hand in the
It's actually King thrash.
Also he's basically never right. He just plain ignores things to make it seem like he is.

Greggy

I’ve rarely seen so many people stick their head in the sand on cue. None of them cares whether the new PS5s are actually hotter. They just hate the idea that it might be as well as anybody who expresses it, whether they can back it up or not.

The notion that a smaller and cheaper cooling apparatus that covers a smaller surface and produces a hotter output(all facts) is actually more performant defies logic. He’s right to say it’s against the law of physics. I don’t know if it is risking to lower the system performance but because of the architecture that Sony freely chose, it is at least a possibility in this instance. I’m glad I have the original ps5. It might be worth a lot one day at the rate that Sony is going.

He’s right to say it’s against the law of physics.

The problem with that conclusion is the physics. The new heatsink also looks a little bit different besides it's size so it may perform differently. That's why we require some internal temps before coming to any conclusion.

But this is the problem. If you don't like what Austin said fine.

I also don't care and will never voluntarily watch one of his videos, and yet... here he is, creating a pandemonium in the forums that I frequent because there's a lot of people out there that, caring of not about him, are very eager to see someone make a video like he did to have "ammo".

Games im playing while ignoring this drama:
Doom Eternal on ps5
Psychonauts 2 on series x
Pathfinder Wrath of The Righteous on my gaming laptop.

Videogames are cool as fuck, why capital Gamers got to fight about the hardware and be all pathetic about it man.

Md Ray

The ps5 will stop working if it gets to hot. I don't know about you but if something stops working I call that reduced performance.
This will only happen if you literally try and force it to shut off by completely disconnecting the fan or something, no sane person would do something like this. What Austin is saying here is that just because of a change in the heatsink size the PS5 will suffer from thermal throttling, therefore, have "reduced performance" i.e. have worse framerates than the OG model in the future titles, this is simply not true. Come on now we all know what he meant when he said it will have reduced perf.
Also all cpu/GPU chips degrade slightly faster with more heat. It's just very slightly and other factors are more likely to cause a problem before the degradation from heat effects anything.(assuming the heat is within operating temps)
Yes, but I'm not all that worried about any degradation of PS5's chips because even the new revision's cooling solution is quite hefty and looks well-thought-out, has the same amount of heat pipes as the OG model, and is still vastly superior compared to anything they did last-gen.

FYI, this is what we had inside every PS4 Professionals and PS4 Amateurs the last time.
s-l1600.jpg

They run louder because the fans inside these models would work overtime to expel all those heat, but they're still fine. I'm sure the PS5's SoC with liquid metal is cooler than PS4s, in comparison. They're certainly quieter.

Now the interesting thing is here we have someone using caveats and they are ignored, yet in another thread we have someone not using any caveat but for some reason the caveats are assumed.
No clue what this means or has to do with my post.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm taking this from a PC gamer's perspective. 56 degrees C would be a godsend on my 5800x. I often am in the mid to high 60s and sometime mid to high 70s on demanding games.

I don't know if this matters much overall given this is a console, so I'll wait for Gamer's Nexus specifically to do a video.

Loxus

Yes it will probably be hotter and still fine.
How can it be hotter and still be quieter?
For all we know, he could have faked some things in that video.
The video is heavily edited, with know way to know what was done prior to checking the exhaust temperature.

Did he check the temperature before or after the teardown.
How long he had the systems running before he checked the temperature.
Which console is truly the new model.

All those things you have to consider before taking his findings as fact. Especially when he is known to favour Xbox regardless of if Sony sent him a PS5 or not.

It should be louder then. I haven't seen the internal temps so I don't know.
No, noise doesn't have to change at all.
This will only happen if you literally try and force it to shut off by completely disconnecting the fan or something, no sane person would do something like this. What Austin is saying here is that just because of a change in the heatsink size the PS5 will suffer from thermal throttling, therefore, have "reduced performance" i.e. have worse framerates than the OG model in the future titles, this is simply not true. Come on now we all know what he meant when he said it will have reduced perf.

Yes, but I'm not all that worried about any degradation of PS5's chips because even the new revision's cooling solution is quite hefty and looks well-thought-out, has the same amount of heat pipes as the OG model, and is still vastly superior compared to anything they did last-gen.

FYI, this is what we had inside every PS4 Professionals and PS4 Amateurs the last time.
s-l1600.jpg

They run louder because the fans inside these models would work overtime to expel all those heat, but they're still fine. I'm sure the PS5's SoC with liquid metal is cooler than PS4s, in comparison. They're certainly quieter.

No clue what this means or has to do with my post.
There is many cases of just bad airflow causing the overheat screen on ps5. Austin also specifically said in the case of poor airflow and dust and dirt. If this is the case bad airflow and dust and dirt over time then 5° could be an issue. It also could be more after time or in a very closed box. I believe it was his guest who said the clocks stuff, but I'm not watching it again to confirm. None of what he said was a general statement and was very specific to worse case scenarios. He also said Sony knows what they are doing and it probably is still well within spec, but it's also still the poorer version.
Why are none of his caveats ever mentioned in this thread?

TBiddy

I'm taking this from a PC gamer's perspective. 56 degrees C would be a godsend on my 5800x. I often am in the mid to high 60s and sometime mid to high 70s on demanding games.

I don't know if this matters much overall given this is a console, so I'll wait for Gamer's Nexus specifically to do a video.

There's a difference between measuring the exhaust and on the chip, though. That said, I doubt Sony would introduce a cooling solution that wasn't good enough in a revision like this. Why would they run the risk?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There's a difference between measuring the exhaust and on the chip, though. That said, I doubt Sony would introduce a cooling solution that wasn't good enough in a revision like this. Why would they run the risk?
I don't think they would either, but these are strange times. New management who haven't fully proven themselves. A component shortage due to the pandemic and an ambitious goal to reach. It's a recipe for potential mistakes when you cut corners. It may be fine on it's face. I'm more concerned about potential long term issues mostly.

Short term, given the fact that in the PC world, higher heat could lead to less performance, one could imagine the same could be said for consoles. I just have to wait and see at this point. I'll listen to the experts. Austin has said just enough to raise the question. Someone else has to answer it.

Maybe in the original model they where cooling the system beyond what it was needed, being generous to make sure they didn't have any related issue with this. These months they may have collected data from users, which added to the one they already had, maybe allowed them to reduce cooling related costs and reduce part of the cooling itself while still keeping it in a more than fair safe zone.

Fair enough point, but should they not have already collected this data before launch? I get that with things being connected online these days you can do stuff like system updates, patches etc. that weren't possible before without a lot of physical media and brick & mortar involvement.

But IMO something like this shouldn't have what seemingly amounts to purchasing customers acting as QA beta testers providing data the company would've needed to collect internally through elaborate internal simulations/tests.

Doesn't RDNA2 throttle at something like 110c or whatever?

In suitable conditions yeah. I think Austin implying a throttle situation at 53 degree Celsius was ridiculous tbh; even if the system had absolutely terrible cooling (which it doesn't), it'd need to hit a lot higher than that to begin throttling, though in such a case throttle point would occur before its max rated temperature limit, for sure.

Fan diameter is not the only aspect of measuring size or effectivity of a fan.

Design communicating something doesn't improve the cooling, and both consoles have a chunk of heatsink.

Like always loads of BS without any substance.

No substance? Okay let me communicate this with an analogy. Let's call it a thought experiment, and look at hurricanes & tornadoes. As you can probably guess, we'd be comparing the PS5 to the hurricane and the Series X to the tornado.

Hurricanes have their strongest winds just around the eye wall and a bit beyond that, but otherwise they generate weaker winds the further you go out. If you look at the PS5's layout, the fan is located in one specific quadrant, so while the heat pipe helps with spreading the generated wind (air) throughout the system, the most wind (air) is going to be where the fan is at, and it's the components located there that are going to be the most actively cooled.

While hurricanes have a rising air component similar to tornadoes (and in a hurricane's case, cooler winds that flow away from them at upper levels to allow more warm air to rise), it's also worth noting that the eye of hurricanes are generally within the center. Again, this is just a basic analogy and the cooling of these consoles aren't literal recreations of natural storms, but if we take this analog here, the PS5's fan (which would be the eye) is absolutely not within the center, so if you have that "air rising", it's not in a matter of even distribution.

The same thing is theoretically true with tornadoes, but the way winds work here are different on some levels. They have warmer air that rises upward through the sinking colder air, which causes an updraft, which increases winds when there are variations in direction or speed of the winds. The Series X's setup mimics this on an idealistic level, with the fan drawing up heat to expel it through the exhaust vents at the top. Both the heat sink and separating metal chassis act as ways to funnel the heat generated from the components upwards through the vortex of the fan's suction, which have an effect (slightly) analogous to the aforementioned variations of wind speed and direction in tornado funnels.

If you keep all that in mind, there is also the fact that between the two, hurricanes generate lesser peak winds than the most capable of tornadoes, but the tradeoff being that they have winds which affect a lot more surface area at a single given time. This is a reason why the Series X has its components arranged the way it does: to maximize coverage of components, using an updraft mechanization generated through fan suction.

I'm not arguing which system has a superior or inferior cooling setup here, just merely illustrating that in analogous terms they take two different approaches and it helps to understand how winds are actually generated and applied in the analogies (hurricanes, tornadoes) the two systems take their inspiration from at a most basic level. Yes they both have chunks for fans, but the fans are arranged and placed differently, and configured differently in relation to the rest of the assembly. Not only that, but they are two different brands of fans, of different sizes, and likely different RPM settings, applied voltages, and mechanism design for their fan blades, so you can't just dwittle it down to something as simple as "Well you can't argue if the cooling implementation is worst on Y because X and Y have pretty large fans.".

As I just showed, this is definitely not just about fan size, you are right on that part. But, it's not just conjecture of BS being reached at to go alongside this, either. I'm backing everything being mentioned here with substance, it's your choice to make of that what you will.

How can it be hotter and still be quieter?
For all we know, he could have faked some things in that video.
The video is heavily edited, with know way to know what was done prior to checking the exhaust temperature.

Did he check the temperature before or after the teardown.
How long he had the systems running before he checked the temperature.
Which console is truly the new model.

All those things you have to consider before taking his findings as fact. Especially when he is known to favour Xbox regardless of if Sony sent him a PS5 or not.
Do you assume all these things for other people's videos? Does he have a track record of doing these things? I've only seen 2 of his videos. The tear down and the ps5 review. The ps5 review was pretty glowing.
If it's producing more temperature internally the fans will have to work harder to expel it. Which would lead to more noise. Unless Sony is allowing the internal components to heat up more than they should to keep the fan noise down.
First the fan looks like it can move more air at a lower speed. I'm not an aerodynamic expert so I can only guess. Second you are jumping to ridiculous conclusions. If the APU was 20° under spec and now it's 15° under you don't need to change fan speed at all. Put the 2 ps5s into a 50° room or an insulated box is the way to test since it's current operating temperature is probably still quite a bit below critical.

Papacheeks

Banned
Fair enough point, but should they not have already collected this data before launch? I get that with things being connected online these days you can do stuff like system updates, patches etc. that weren't possible before without a lot of physical media and brick & mortar involvement.

But IMO something like this shouldn't have what seemingly amounts to purchasing customers acting as QA beta testers providing data the company would've needed to collect internally through elaborate internal simulations/tests.

In suitable conditions yeah. I think Austin implying a throttle situation at 53 degree Celsius was ridiculous tbh; even if the system had absolutely terrible cooling (which it doesn't), it'd need to hit a lot higher than that to begin throttling, though in such a case throttle point would occur before its max rated temperature limit, for sure.

No substance? Okay let me communicate this with an analogy. Let's call it a thought experiment, and look at hurricanes & tornadoes. As you can probably guess, we'd be comparing the PS5 to the hurricane and the Series X to the tornado.

Hurricanes have their strongest winds just around the eye wall and a bit beyond that, but otherwise they generate weaker winds the further you go out. If you look at the PS5's layout, the fan is located in one specific quadrant, so while the heat pipe helps with spreading the generated wind (air) throughout the system, the most wind (air) is going to be where the fan is at, and it's the components located there that are going to be the most actively cooled.

While hurricanes have a rising air component similar to tornadoes (and in a hurricane's case, cooler winds that flow away from them at upper levels to allow more warm air to rise), it's also worth noting that the eye of hurricanes are generally within the center. Again, this is just a basic analogy and the cooling of these consoles aren't literal recreations of natural storms, but if we take this analog here, the PS5's fan (which would be the eye) is absolutely not within the center, so if you have that "air rising", it's not in a matter of even distribution.

The same thing is theoretically true with tornadoes, but the way winds work here are different on some levels. They have warmer air that rises upward through the sinking colder air, which causes an updraft, which increases winds when there are variations in direction or speed of the winds. The Series X's setup mimics this on an idealistic level, with the fan drawing up heat to expel it through the exhaust vents at the top. Both the heat sink and separating metal chassis act as ways to funnel the heat generated from the components upwards through the vortex of the fan's suction, which have an effect (slightly) analogous to the aforementioned variations of wind speed and direction in tornado funnels.

If you keep all that in mind, there is also the fact that between the two, hurricanes generate lesser peak winds than the most capable of tornadoes, but the tradeoff being that they have winds which affect a lot more surface area at a single given time. This is a reason why the Series X has its components arranged the way it does: to maximize coverage of components, using an updraft mechanization generated through fan suction.

I'm not arguing which system has a superior or inferior cooling setup here, just merely illustrating that in analogous terms they take two different approaches and it helps to understand how winds are actually generated and applied in the analogies (hurricanes, tornadoes) the two systems take their inspiration from at a most basic level. Yes they both have chunks for fans, but the fans are arranged and placed differently, and configured differently in relation to the rest of the assembly. Not only that, but they are two different brands of fans, of different sizes, and likely different RPM settings, applied voltages, and mechanism design for their fan blades, so you can't just dwittle it down to something as simple as "Well you can't argue if the cooling implementation is worst on Y because X and Y have pretty large fans.".

As I just showed, this is definitely not just about fan size, you are right on that part. But, it's not just conjecture of BS being reached at to go alongside this, either. I'm backing everything being mentioned here with substance, it's your choice to make of that what you will.

How would you get real world data? There's not enough of facility playing every taxing game on the system from DISc to on the drive. Also hard to test real world use when these things are tested in lab setups not a entertainment center that sits on someones carpet or possibly next to a heating source like a furnace/chimney.

Thats how all revisions have worked. They for sure have internal testing data, but wont have data of someone living in humid/extreme hot locations like Florida, Arizona. And thats what you want, they will look at the hotests places mixed with what the heat curves look like which probably are recorded in firmware logs. Then sent every month for analyzing.

PS2 started giant, than after revisions of the chip and removing the HDD cage they made the slim. Also from a failure stand point stopped with ejecting trays. PS3 is the same way, after removing the PS2 chip, and sliming some things down SOC wise they were able to get the console down smaller and the back never got as hot as original PS3 did with its internal PSU.

Remember they had a regular PC power cord for original PS3 but went back to a ps2 style in the slims.

GametimeUK

I will not understand why people get so upset about comparing things. There are plenty of us who want to know what the difference in things are for no other reason than "just because I'm curious". This applies here where it's cool to know the heatsink is a different size in the newer PS5.

It's also ok for the content creator to have an opinion based on his findings. Granted I haven't watched the video yet.

A heatsink being smaller and temps being slightly higher are just the fact. It's like the digital foundry videos where people get triggered by the 500% zooms. They miss the point of the video completely. We like to know the differences no matter how big or small regardless of how much it impacts the user experience.

I don't care much for this drama. The new PS5 runs hotter, but it doesn't matter. The damn thing isn't gonna melt, but I appreciate the teardown to see what's happening under the hood.

(Mis spoke... new ps5 exhausts hotter)

Last edited:
First the fan looks like it can move more air at a lower speed. I'm not an aerodynamic expert so I can only guess. Second you are jumping to ridiculous conclusions. If the APU was 20° under spec and now it's 15° under you don't need to change fan speed at all. Put the 2 ps5s into a 50° room or an insulated box is the way to test since it's current operating temperature is probably still quite a bit below critical.

Oh jeez I just pulled an Austin.

:messenger_anguished:

I knew I shouldn't have come to any conclusions before further testing was done. I'm just a moronic hypocrite.

:lollipop_pensive:

I apologize for my stupidity.

Papacheeks

Banned
I will not understand why people get so upset about comparing things. There are plenty of us who want to know what the difference in things are for no other reason than "just because I'm curious". This applies here where it's cool to know the heatsink is a different size in the newer PS5.

It's also ok for the content creator to have an opinion based on his findings. Granted I haven't watched the video yet.

A heatsink being smaller and temps being slightly higher are just the fact. It's like the digital foundry videos where people get triggered by the 500% zooms. They miss the point of the video completely. We like to know the differences no matter how big or small regardless of how much it impacts the user experience.

I don't care much for this drama. The new PS5 runs hotter, but it doesn't matter. The damn thing isn't gonna melt, but I appreciate the teardown to see what's happening under the hood.

If a reference gpu has high exhaust heat but it's temp is in line with that of a AIB card that has much larger heatsinks and larger pcb, and fans is the reference gpu running hotter?

mckmas8808

Banned
his clearly correct, anyone who thinks a reduced heatsink does not make the system run hotter is legit braindead and basically a science denier...

it's very simple, less material = less surface area to dissipate the heat off of the SoC = hotter running components

simple physics you can't disprove because you would literally break the laws of physics in order for this system to run at the same temperature as the original model

but it's not surprising to see fanboys demonstrating once again how retarded they are

edit: speak of the devil:

People like you are why others were pissed at Austin's 1st video. Because the bolded is NOT clear or true.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why are people so pathetic and whiney? He looked into the changes and showed the heatsink changed and the exhaust temps went up. And then rabid fanboys attack the guy?

Sony saw a chance to improve the design. If it is cheaper, weights less and still is stable that is better engineering. They will ship millions of pounds less each year. Good job. At the same time the newer model is a slight downgrade from the launch one. So what? It will still play games fine.

Oh jeez I just pulled an Austin.

:messenger_anguished:

I knew I shouldn't have come to any conclusions before further testing was done. I'm just a moronic hypocrite.

:lollipop_pensive:

I apologize for my stupidity.
Austin used a precursor of May and gave specific examples of the them which are quite reasonable. You just jumped to a ridiculous conclusion. Neither of you are stupid.
People like you are why others were pissed at Austin's 1st video. Because the bolded is NOT clear or true.
It is true way way way more often than not in a similarly designed heatsink.

Austin used a precursor of May and gave specific examples of the them which are quite reasonable. You just jumped to a ridiculous conclusion. Neither of you are stupid.

I just think I'm going to wait for further testing before picking up a PS5. I certainly don't want a system that will overheat or suffer from throttling. I know the launch model is good but the new one might have unforseen issues due to the cut down heatsink.

I think they will be fine.

I'm still a little nervous though especially after what happened with the PS3/360. Basically they talked about the issues that heatsink could possibly cause. Really need to see some other tests to find out if that's true.

The possible performance issues scares me the most. Certainly don't want to play games with a bad framerate due to throttling issues. I don't want to go back to using icepacks to keep the performance up. Which is something I did with my first laptop.

I just think I'm going to wait for further testing before picking up a PS5. I certainly don't want a system that will overheat or suffer from throttling. I know the launch model is good but the new one might have unforseen issues due to the cut down heatsink.
To be honest the chances are slim they'd release a console in this day 'n' age Sony or ms with severe temp problems or change something to cause problems on a mass scale , I give these r&d departments a bit more respect than that both have been through having problems with hardware before and both know it just isn't worth the hassle/money and bad pr .

To be honest the chances are slim they'd release a console in this day 'n' age Sony or ms with severe temp problems or change something to cause problems on a mass scale , I give these r&d departments a bit more respect than that both have been through having problems with hardware before and both know it just isn't worth the hassle/money and bad pr .

I agree it's unlikely but it's better to be safe than sorry. I just don't want to feel like I'm taking a risk by picking up the new model.

I agree it's unlikely but it's better to be safe than sorry. I just don't want to feel like I'm taking a risk by picking up the new model.
Of course yes but it's not just as simple as a few guys sitting around seeing what they can take off without testing stuff extensively ... Just a side note does anybody know what the actual max temp limits are on the ps5 just curious .

Of course yes but it's not just as simple as a few guys sitting around seeing what they can take off without testing stuff extensively ... Just a side note does anybody know what the actual max temp limits are on the ps5 just curious .

I'm not sure but I did see a video where the guy disconnected the fan and the console refused to shut itself down. What did happen was that the framerate tanked (throttling).

I'm not sure but I did see a video where the guy disconnected the fan and the console refused to shut itself down. What did happen was that the framerate tanked (throttling).
Yeah disconnecting the fan on any console or Gpu won't do you any good I think that's more of a software thing it not shutting down , I think we lack actual data really to make any claims yet we don't know the max limits of the components used only Sony do really , we shall see what happens .

Yeah disconnecting the fan on any console or Gpu won't do you any good I think that's more of a software thing it not shutting down , I think we lack actual data really to make any claims yet we don't know the max limits of the components used only Sony do really , we shall see what happens .

Well all I want is the performance to be stable and not be affected by the heat. I can always deal with a slightly noisier fan since I game with headphones.

Top Bottom