• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aurora Police shoot and kill veteran hero (Black) who saved 11 year old grandson from being forcefully drowned

bucyou

A 73-year-old Army veteran shot and killed a naked intruder who had attacked his grandson and was still inside his home when he, in turn, was shot and killed by an Aurora police officer, an attorney for the man’s family told 9Wants to Know late Tuesday afternoon.

Richard “Gary” Black Jr. was protecting his family when he was killed, according to Qusair Mohamedbhai, an attorney representing the Purple Heart winner’s family.

According to Mohamedbhai, the intruder broke into the Blacks’ home, yanked his 11-year-old grandson off a couch where was sleeping and started choking him in a bathtub. Both Black and the boy’s father came to the boy’s defense. After a struggle, Black grabbed his 9 mm handgun and shot and killed the intruder, whose identity has not been made public.

He said evidence at the scene suggests that the officer who shot Black was outside the home when he opened fire, but he’s eager to see body camera footage to determine exactly what happened.

Aurora police have not identified the officer.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...ve-shot-man-defending-his-family/73-579045370

**Mod Edit**
Actually look at the article before making uninformed comments. Several of you have made fools of yourselves already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If the body cam footage is conclusive fire the officer and charge him. Also strip him of his ability to ever be a law enforcement officer ever again that way when he ultimately gets off free of charge (because you know he will) he will at the very least not be put into a position where he can kill an innocent person again.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
People saying the media is skewing this or fake news. No...cops are really out here killing black people year after year.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't understand if the officer blindly shot into the house and happened to hit the guy, if the officer saw someone with a gun and just shot them assuming the guy was a threat...or what.

Seems like way too little data.

Super shitty scenario regardless, I hope the bodycam footage is useful in clarifying all this crap.

Nobody_Important

People saying the media is skewing this or fake news. No...cops are really out here killing black people year after year.

Its fairly obvious at this point. There is pretty much only 2 types of people that still deny that police across the US have a problem when it comes to mistreating minorities.

People who don't know the facts

People who know the facts but simply don't care

mr2xxx

Banned
I’m guessing the Officer most likely saw an armed man in the house from outside and fired shots without thinking that the person holding the gun posed no danger and was just protecting his family.

Its fairly obvious at this point. There is pretty much only 2 types of people that still deny that police across the US have a problem when it comes to mistreating minorities.

Let's not forget the worst type:

Those who ignore the distinction between "Bad thing happened to a X person" and "Bad thing was done to a X person because they were X".

cryptoadam

Banned
First off is the family's name the Blacks? Because "the intruder broke into the Blacks’ home" doesn't make sense unless that is the surname of the family.

Second off the story is light on details I would like to understand better. Where did this officer shoot from? If he was outside he just wildly shoot into the house? Were the police aware of the situation or they just happened to show up? If they were told someone was trying to kill an 11 year old I could understand why if they saw a guy brandishing a gun the officer might react the way he did.

Overall seems like incompetence on the officer's part. Even if they thought it was the "bad guy" shooting into a house from the outside seems very dangerous.

They have a job that requires you to make logical decisions under potentially deadly situations - assuming someone is guilty of something because of race is not logical, it is irrational. Even if that's not what ended up happening in this case, that is what usually happens in general.

Police have to be able to keep their cool in these situations, think logically, and not give in to primitive prejudices. I'm not saying I could keep my cool - if I was a cop and was in a dangerous situation, I would probably abandon the scene. I am NOT the type of person that risks my life, that's why I choose to work in IT and not as a police officer. Police officers need to have a certain demeanor and skill set that is not easy to find, but if the department is forced to fill headcounts regardless of quality, stuff like this ends up happening.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is a truly sad situation and I await further details before passing judgement.

Hopefully the man had the sense to put the firearm down after the incident otherwise I’m not surprised the situation would escalate after seeing an armed person at the door when being called to this scene.

Too many variables unknown to immediately blame the officers.

Only sure thing here so far is it is very saddening to hear a man lost his life protecting his family.

LordPezix

This is Horrible.

But this is why body cams are a thing now.

Will wait til we get the footage.

Last edited:

bucyou

I guess no one read the article?

The veteran who was killed had the last name of Black, he was actually white.

Lots of silly responses up in here

It is unlikely to be racially motivated because he got shot through a wall.

It's not possible to shoot someone because they are white when you don't know they are white when you shoot them.

bucyou

It is unlikely to be racially motivated because he got shot through a wall.

It's not possible to shoot someone because they are white when you don't know they are white when you shoot them.

never said it was, maybe you quoted the wrong post?

never said it was, maybe you quoted the wrong post?

I didn't know if I was in the "silly responses" category.

I wanted to be vague because I appreciated the ploy and did not want to reveal it lol

So I gave a true statement with ambiguous conditions.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Welp lol Thats my own fault for trying to post from my phone and not my computer, but him being white doesn't change how I feel about how it should be handled. So I stick by my original post.

bucyou

I didn't know if I was in the "silly responses" category.

I wanted to be vague because I appreciated the ploy and did not want to reveal it lol

So I gave a true statement with ambiguous conditions.

lol no not at all, i was referring to what deepenigma stated about being conditioned to think mah racism before even reading the article.

bitbydeath

I’m guessing the Officer most likely saw an armed man in the house from outside and fired shots without thinking that the person holding the gun posed no danger and was just protecting his family.

That doesn’t make it any better though. He still murdered someone in cold blood without the facts.

Tesseract

Banned
source.gif

So weird that these minority hating Cops are killing off the Chinese and Indians. Oh wait... I forgot there's only 3 races (White/Black/Hispanic)

Last edited:

What about people who know the facts, but still realize that it doesn't apply to every single police shooting ever? So yea, statistically there's not a bad chance that the cop was in the wrong here. But nevertheless, I'll still wait for the facts because last time I checked, our justice system is based on proof and evidence, and so far we have neither.

For the record, if a cop pulls up and sees a guy through a window about to shoot someone, and doesn't know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy, it's not an easy situation. If you hesitate, an innocent person could be killed. If you don't, an innocent person could also be killed. Obviously, I don't even know if that's what happened. But that is precisely why I'll wait for the facts. Because it's possible.

Last edited:

Ke0

So weird that these minority hating Cops are killing off the Chinese and Indians. Oh wait... I forgot there's only 3 races (White/Black/Hispanic)

Chinese isn't a race.

Do you mean Indian as in Southeast Asian or Native American/First Nation People?

Last edited:
Chinese isn't a race.

Do you mean Indian as in Southeast Asian or Native American/First Nation People?

Tell an old Chinese guy that, they hate being considered the same race as Japanese. Even so, my point still stands. Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese etc don't get targeted by the police, despite being minorities.

When people say "Indian" they mean people who come from India, at least everyone I know does. I know you're purposely being dense, but it's silly to even consider that I mean Natives when they're more marginalized than any other race.

So are you actually going to talk about my overall point or nitpick exact races? Are you taking the other persons side that minorities are being targeted, despite it being untrue?

Last edited:

Ke0

Tell an old Chinese guy that, they hate being considered the same race as Japanese. Even so, my point still stands. Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese etc don't get targeted by the police, despite being minorities.

When people say "Indian" they mean people who come from India, at least everyone I know does. I know you're purposely being dense, but it's silly to even consider that I mean Natives when they're more marginalized than any other race.

So are you actually going to talk about my overall point or nitpick exact races? Are you taking the other persons side that minorities are being targeted, despite it being untrue?

Not really. In America people still refer to native Americans as "Indians" so I had to make sure.

Hissing Sid

That thread title is definately something.

I mean, I read the article but upon first glance at the title one would be forgiven for thinking a cop had gunned down a black guy who’d just saved a kid from drowning.

I have very strong opinions. I believe I am well informed. I am ready to argue my opinions because I have all the information. I only read thread titles.

Who am I?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Based on the story, the cop needs to be jailed.

The thread title is disgusting though.
Takes a special kind of sick to play games when dealing with a story like this.
Just because an innocent white person died, doesn't change the fact that innocent black people are targeted.

Top Bottom