• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy |OT| Bigger Adventure, Thicker Thighs

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Would be interesting to see. I deleted the PS4 install right away so I didn’t test it out. Maybe the PS5 upgrade was slapped together quickly.
I didn't think this game would even need "PS5 upgrade", I love Ryza's visuals but is not exactly tech heavy game.

Croga

Cheers for the feedback folks.

As long as it maintains a decent 30 fps in handheld mode that'll do it for me.

I've pre-ordered the Switch version, looking forward to Friday now! 😀

sublimit

Banned
I think this will be the last PS4 game i buy. But i will not buy it before i get a PS5. Meanwhile i still need to finish the first game btw. (Not to mention previous Atelier games in my backlog.)

Daymos

I'd love to get into these games but they're so expensive! $60 and then the physical copies of ryza1 disappeared and actually went UP in the price. It's hard to pay full price for a JRPG when you can snap up something like fairy fencer F or tokyo xanadu for $10 on sale.

Croga

I'd love to get into these games but they're so expensive! $60 and then the physical copies of ryza1 disappeared and actually went UP in the price. It's hard to pay full price for a JRPG when you can snap up something like fairy fencer F or tokyo xanadu for $10 on sale.
Yeah it's rare for Koei Tecmo to put anything on sale very often.

I think the only time I've seen the original Ryza dip in price was when the sequel was announced, they knocked 40% off for a few days. Fingers crossed for you they might drop the original price again when this sequel hits, but I wouldn't hold my breath tbh.

The original was a really fun game though. I hadn't touched an Atelier game since the ps2 days, and jumped right back in and really enjoyed it.

It's also a great starting point for someone new to the series as well.

vkbest

I think this will be the last PS4 game i buy. But i will not buy it before i get a PS5. Meanwhile i still need to finish the first game btw. (Not to mention previous Atelier games in my backlog.)

You will buy more PS4 games, Im sure on the next 2 years we will see more last gen exclusive games. So you will have to buy even if you are playing on PS5.

God this game looks ugly as fuck on PS5. I truly forgot what low budget JRPGs look like. Embarrassing that it’s not 60fps either.

Maybe the rest of the game will be good.

Hudo

God this game looks ugly as fuck on PS5. I truly forgot what low budget JRPGs look like. Embarrassing that it’s not 60fps either.

Maybe the rest of the game will be good.
Well, I think the Ryza games with Gust's new engine look quite a bit better than all of the 3D Falcom games released so far and there are quite a few people out there who tell me that Trails and Ys games are the best games ever.

mejin

Atelier games are known to have high budget graphics, what people exactly expecting out of PS5 version for this game?

At least a rock solid 60fps in 4K for me.

I'm not even talking about enhancements everywhere cause I know they wouldn't go that far.

Danjin44

At least a rock solid 60fps in 4K for me.

I'm not even talking about enhancements everywhere cause I know they wouldn't go that far.
As much as like Atelier Ryza, these games are budget RPGs, don’t expect to any type of tech enchantments, I was even surprised this game had “PS5 version” in the first place.

mejin

As much as like Atelier Ryza, these games are budget RPGs, don’t expect to any type of tech enchantments, I was even surprised this game had “PS5 version” in the first place.

yep, that's what I said I don't expect the enhancements. I just want confirmation if at least the game runs well at 60fps and has a higher resolution.

Danjin44

yep, that's what I said I don't expect the enhancements. I just want confirmation if at least the game runs well at 60fps and has a higher resolution.
When I first play the game I didn't notice I was playing PS4 version but later on I switched to PS5 version, I would say the resolution and load times is definitely better on PS5 version.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
20 hours in so far and my impressions are ....

Bad: every other line is a high pitched “Fiiiiiiiiii”
Good: everything else

Fi never shuts up and is the most annoying character ever added to a video game.

Danjin44

20 hours in so far and my impressions are ....

Bad: every other line is a high pitched “Fiiiiiiiiii”
Good: everything else

Fi never shuts up and is the most annoying character ever added to a video game.
I actually agree about Fi, especially when it tries to read title in the start menu....super annoying, Other than that I really loving this game.

One issue I'm currently having is I had two very hard crash on my PS5, to the point that screen just froze and I had to restart my PS5. I didn't have this issue until we got PS5's new update so maybe its because of that.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I actually agree about Fi, especially when it tries to read title in the start menu....super annoying, Other than that I really loving this game.

One issue I'm currently having is I had two very hard crash on my PS5, to the point that screen just froze and I had to restart my PS5. I didn't have this issue until we got PS5's new update so maybe its because of that.
I haven’t run into any tech issues other then the slight studder at times. I think I’ve gotten used to it since I don’t notice it anymore. Or maybe they made it a little better in one of the patches.

TitanNut88

Is there any place where PS4/PS5 version is compared to Switch? I played the first one on the Switch but maybe I will give that one a chance in PS5 but I don't know if it is worth it.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is there any place where PS4/PS5 version is compared to Switch? I played the first one on the Switch but maybe I will give that one a chance in PS5 but I don't know if it is worth it.
Ps5 is in 4k but has a little bit of stutter at times. The game looks really nice. I haven't seen any comparison videos.

I finished the game last night. I really enjoyed my time with it. The crafting is addictive like the first game. There were some decent smaller updates throughout that improved the game. I hope to see a Ryza 3.

Animagic

Banned
I’m enjoying this so much more than the first one. I ended up shelving that. Can’t put into words what I like about this one. The battle system feels tighter and everything feels much better? More refined?
I dig it, that’s for sure.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
i finished dragon quest 11.. i need a turn based game. Is this turn based or real time?
There is a bar at the bottom right with each character and enemy. When the character icon hits the center of the bar you can input actions, then it resets and moves towards the center again.

JayK47

Ps5 is in 4k but has a little bit of stutter at times. The game looks really nice. I haven't seen any comparison videos.

I finished the game last night. I really enjoyed my time with it. The crafting is addictive like the first game. There were some decent smaller updates throughout that improved the game. I hope to see a Ryza 3.
How long did it take you to beat it? One of the reasons I got into the Atelier series was the time to beat the game was under 50 hours. But that has changed in recent years. They last 80 hours easily now, which means I only have time for a singe playthrough.

Danjin44

Really, REALLY loving this game! Both exploration and crafting is as addicting as ever and the combat is even more fun than the first game.

Markio128

I asked this before and didn't get a response. Can I jump into the series with this game or should I play the first one first?
I didn’t play the first one and bought this one because I wanted a fun RPG to play on the PS5. There is a brief summary of the first game, but Ryza 2 really is a new adventure/story and understanding what is going on has not been an issue, other than I’m meeting all of Ryza’s friends for the first time. What I will say though is that it took me a while to understand how the actual game works and it takes patience to begin with because it doesn’t explain how things work in great detail. Still, it makes progression all the more satisfying.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
How long did it take you to beat it? One of the reasons I got into the Atelier series was the time to beat the game was under 50 hours. But that has changed in recent years. They last 80 hours easily now, which means I only have time for a singe playthrough.
40 hours. Good length, but not overly long like a lot of recent RPGs.

JayK47

40 hours. Good length, but not overly long like a lot of recent RPGs.
Nice. That is about right with HowLongToBeat. I swear I spend way more time in Aterlier games than noted on HowLongToBeat. Most of them come in at around 40 hours. I am pretty sure I put in between 50 to 80 hours on a lot of the recent ones.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been massively busy at work, but I'm still plodding through this game. I'm towards the end of the third ruin, clocked in so far at 21 hours. I'm taking my time and being thorough, and also only able to play in short bursts.

But the game is still an absolute gem. Was hoping to have it finished before Friday's Bravely Default II release but alas.

Nico_D

Just finished Ryza 2. Took me 63 hrs, a good mount.

Loved it. Better than the first one, the combat system is much more involving and flashy and spectacular with well evolved mechanics. Alchemics, while mostly the same, still had some very nice innovations which I enjoyed. The story was also an improvement. The only thing I didn't care for and which happened somewhere in the middle of the game was how the story quests started piling up and I had to keep running from person to person to empty them. It lasted a while but then it was gone.

Otherwise, great experience. Bring on Ryza 3.

JayK47

I am not enjoying the combat. I can't remember if I felt that way about the previous Ryza game. I really do prefer the turn based combat from previous trilogies. I hate that you have to build up AP and CC to do anything besides the basic weak attack. I get hit by enemies off screen all the time. You can only control one ally at a time. There is not much strategy to it. Just mash weak attack until you build up a special attack or item use. Allies never seem to block, so they die quickly. I can only equip 4 items at a time and one has to be heal. Blocking doesn't seem to work half the time. It just feels sloppy and too automated. Overall, I enjoyed the combat and synthesis more in older titles.

And I really hate Fi. Probably one of the more boring Atelier games that I have played in a long while. With yearly releases, some are decent and others are meh.

Last edited:

JayK47

Wrapped this up yesterday and was surprised how abruptly it ended. Next thing I knew I beat the boss and left everybody behind to head back home. I didn't finish deciphering the final area nor did I get to craft a lot of items because I did not have the materials yet. Did they exclude part of the game for DLC or something? The ending kind of sealed my disappointment in the game. I did finally get a little better at combat, but I still never did really like it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wrapped this up yesterday and was surprised how abruptly it ended. Next thing I knew I beat the boss and left everybody behind to head back home. I didn't finish deciphering the final area nor did I get to craft a lot of items because I did not have the materials yet. Did they exclude part of the game for DLC or something? The ending kind of sealed my disappointment in the game. I did finally get a little better at combat, but I still never did really like it.
The game definitely just ends... abruptly. After I beat the final boss and watched the credits roll, I ended up loading up my save file (rather than New Game+) and finishing out my exploration of the final dungeon and completing some of the quests that I had pending. Pretty silly, honestly.

I still loved the game to bits though, even if it's pacing was pretty quirky like Nico_D Nico_D mentioned.

Top Bottom