• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At this point, Xbox & PlayStation need to continue supporting last-gen till this shortage issue goes away.......Let me explain.

"Stolen"?

And, yeah, I do own all the current-gen consoles. I also was willing to camp out of a GameStop to get my PS5 preorder in.

Series X, I just went online and bought it off Walmart day one.
LOL.. Yeah I say stolen as if I was in a a physical store and about to ring up an item at checkout and someone physically stole the item from me, before it got rung up that person would be dealt with and kicked out of the store or the cops called. Can't do that when you have the item in your cart over 50 times on multiple days and every time you go to check out you get oh item is no longer available. Same concept. These online stores need to pull the item out of inventory for 10 minutes or something and secure it instead of giving people false hope.

Last edited:
What an ignorant OP.

Sony's PS5 production is currently out-pacing its PS4 production rates launch-aligned. It's PS5 chip manufacturing has been booked years in advance, and will continue on schedule for the foreseeable future. So, there isn't a "shortage" of PS5's - there's an inability for Sony to scale up its production to meet sustained-higher-than-expected demand. Those are two very different things.

A shortage would be Sony unable manufacturer the minimum number of PS5s to hits its pre-established production schedule, leading to potential losses for the company. Currently, it's actually beating its own estimates - no one has ever made as much money this quickly off their consoles as Sony has with its PS5.
Being unable to meet demand means Sony's projections were conservative; more people want PS5's than Sony anticipated. However, because chip manufacturing has been booked solid years in advance, they cannot now scale up to increase production, but they're not losing anything - they're hitting every target they have and will continue to do so for years, leading to extensive profits.

This situation is also true for Microsoft.

Neither company needs to do anything from your OP to "survive".
Yeah, that's not the case at all. Sony has done a good job of getting as many consoles out there as possible, but neither MS or Sony are making anywhere near as many as they'd have liked.

"Stolen"?

And, yeah, I do own all the current-gen consoles. I also was willing to camp out of a GameStop to get my PS5 preorder in.

Series X, I just went online and bought it off Walmart day one.
I'm not talking about people who bought one of each, that's fine. I am referring to people who bought more than one of the same console. I seen so many brag about having ps5s for multiple rooms or buying 3, keeping one and selling the other two for 2k. That sort of bs is what I'm referring to. People that make the shortage 10x worse than it needs to be, over pure greed.

like mentioned on the Sacred Symbols podcast....i also believe that nobody thats actually tried to get a next gen console, still can't get one. Getting a PS5 wasn't that ez...but it wasn't that hard either. Took me a month but i got it.

Last gen still being supported is why we get nonsense like Cyberpunk...and why im annoyed that in the Avengers dev stream the other day they say that we can't have vehicles on patrol maps because of the last gen versions can't stream quick enough.
Bullcrap. Read my other posts. Outside of getting a bot setup the ps5 was impossible to get. I was there at least 15 days or so when it dropped. I was there before it went up for pre-order (didn't knoe they started selling the night before announced) was there on launch... Everytime tried to get on the Walmart or Amazon, site and thought i had it, I go hit checkout, my cc info already saved and get a website load error or "item is no longer available". Don't put it in my shopping cart if you don't have it. That's what pisses me off. Being there and hitting checkout exactly on thr minute at Walmart.com to have some bot steal it before 10 seconds afer the hour hits. You can't tell me I haven't tried and I'm not going to give some scalper asshole money to satisfy his greed. I'll give up console gaming before I do that.

Ps4 I had bought and paid for months in advance at gamestop. They didn't allow this this time. I was there on launch night 2013 and back home in 30 minutes. It was wonderful. There should of been a queue system instead of a free for all. As for the wii, I got that only a few months after release in store on a whim. We are 6 months later and the stores are still letting bots and scalpers rule the day.

So don't tell me I can't get one just because you did. I tried so many times. And so did countless others.

Last edited:
Bullcrap. Read my other posts. Outside of getting a bot setup the ps5 was impossible to get. I was there at least 15 days or so when it dropped. I was there before it went up for pre-order (didn't knoe they started selling the night before announced) was there on launch... Everytime tried to get on the Walmart or Amazon, site and thought i had it, I go hit checkout, my cc info already saved and get a website load error or "item is no longer available". Don't put it in my shopping cart if you don't have it. That's what pisses me off. Being there and hitting checkout exactly on thr minute at Walmart.com to have some bot steal it before 10 seconds afer the hour hits. You can't tell me I haven't tried and I'm not going to give some scalper asshole money to satisfy his greed. I'll give up console gaming before I do that.

Ps4 I had bought and paid for months in advance at gamestop. They didn't allow this this time. I was there on launch night 2013 and back home in 30 minutes. It was wonderful. There should of been a queue system instead of a free for all. As for the wii, I got that only a few months after release in store on a whim. We are 6 months later and the stores are still letting bots and scalpers rule the day.

So don't tell me I can't get one just because you did. I tried so many times. And so did countless others.
i mean...i went thru the exact same thing. But i didn't give up.

yurinka

They will continue supporting PS4 until 2023 or so because there are huge active install base on PS4 buying tons of games and paying subs. Even if they had chips to double their planned amount of shipments (bigger than any other previous console in gaming history), they still would have an insanely big active userbase on PS4. Specially on base PS4, not the Pro.

So they should and they will continue supporting the base PS4 with great new games until at least 2023. Maybe beyond if the chips issue doesn't allow them to increase enough the production.

Sony is selling the ps5 at record numbers though. I could understand if they were barely selling consoles. Now I don't think Sony will hit that 30 million switch number this year but at least 15 million. I'm still waiting to get a ps5 but I'm not paying those scalper numbers.
Unless the lack of chips prevents it PS5, will achive 15, 30, 50 and 100 million before Switch. It's already selling more than Switch while heavily supply constrained and new shipments get sold out in a few minutes worldwide. It would have already achieved the 15M if now supply constrained.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Yeah, that's not the case at all. Sony has done a good job of getting as many consoles out there as possible, but neither MS or Sony are making anywhere near as many as they'd have liked.
Can I get a source please?

Sony and Microsoft booked their console production quite a while in advance - in fact Microsoft was quite open about starting their manufacturing later than Sony. Neither have fallen behind initial estimates, and both have expressed satisfaction with performance. They're not able to scale up additional production to meet the increased demand, but they are quite literally making every console they planned to make.

NahaNago

Unless the lack of chips prevents it PS5, will achive 15, 30, 50 and 100 million before Switch. It's already selling more than Switch while heavily supply constrained and new shipments get sold out in a few minutes worldwide. It would have already achieved the 15M if now supply constrained.
Makes me wonder if the PS6 will cost $700 or more considering how fast the ps5 is selling right now. I'm just high balling it for a dream scenario. xb1sx pro will probably be $600 so that price will probably be the starting point for next next gen consoles but they could go even higher. I do think PS6 will only be $600 but I feel like $600 won't be a big deal when the ps6 comes around.

edit: I was just thinking folks have different currency symbol keys for their country.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
This MUST be sarcasm, or at least be something other than serious. Think of the install base already available if not. This OP isnt very well thought out but your post takes the piss if you were serious 🤣🤣

Gears of War released 12 months after 360 launched. Infamous Second Son in March 14. Etc etc

So if the PS5 by the same time frame has more consoles on the market (fact), why is the install base a problem?

Shortages doesn’t mean a smaller install base. It just means demand is higher than supply.

But thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion mate.

Better go watch the road to ps5 again guys
jerk off tv land GIF by #Impastor

Daymos

I don't get why it's such a big deal to support last gen. All xbox games are on PC and I'll be playing starfield at 1080p with medium graphics settings.. it's going to look like a ps4 game to me for the next 5 years and I'll probably play it 4 times as long as the average xbox series X & 4k tv owner.

FranXico

If I might offer a modest solution. Have a baby. I can say from experience that it won't matter what games come out since you'll never have the time to play them and by the time you do, boom PS5 is in stock.

On a serious note, guys, my backlog is becoming insurmountable.
By the time you have the time to play, the PS6 will be out.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Oh my god. I didn't see this before but it is ignorant. PS5 is selling better/same as the PS4 did during the same time period. They are not in a shortage they are in a (demand > than last time but we can't do anything about it)age.

The output of PS5 exclusives kind of blows. I have only cared about and played 1 - Ratchet. That was a nice game that made me think my 500 bucks for platform exclusives was worth it. Spiderman was nice, but it felt like a polished PS4 game. Why should 8 million people like me have to play cross gen bullshit because some people suck at buying consoles?

At some point demand will be less and systems will be available on shelves. Why can't those who have to wait buy the games then? Why make your more competent and interested customers settle for an inferior product because whiners can't wait or can't figure out how to get themselves in the know and prepared for drops? These are the same people who cry about scalpers getting < 10% of the systems.

I paid 500 plus tax to get this fucking PS5 because Sony can't seem to cope with putting games on PC. Someone else could have had my system and I would have bought Spiderman and Ratchet for PC. But I paid 500 bucks for games I can only get on Sony's platform and I don't want games that can't utilize all the features because they are so concerned about numbers that they give their early adopters a shittier experience because of it.

I will preorder Horizon and GoW as soon as they are available, but I don't like that they are cross gen.

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
Britain must have gotten the most shipments of the next gen because of all the major markets, its prices on the scalper markets are by far the best. I dont know if I really want a PS5 yet though, but prices are quite palatable. You can get an XSX brand new for like 60 more. PS5 like a clean 110 more now. And it keeps dropping.

Actually the last gen, game sales wise is being abandoned more quickly than ever. More than 50% sales for new games seems to be on next gen, despite there not being many of them around. By end of year its probably going to be looking pretty bad for last gen sales wise.

I just dont know if I want a PS5 yet. Maybe in a year when AAA games start going on sale.

aries_71

Just a few months ago I wouldn’t believe I wouldn’t be able to buy an XsX or PS5 from Amazon or the ms store in July 2021. AMAZING.

I’m loosing all hope of getting one this year.

Graciaus

Oh my god. I didn't see this before but it is ignorant. PS5 is selling better/same as the PS4 did during the same time period. They are not in a shortage they are in a (demand > than last time but we can't do anything about it)age.

The output of PS5 exclusives kind of blows. I have only cared about and played 1 - Ratchet. That was a nice game that made me think my 500 bucks for platform exclusives was worth it. Spiderman was nice, but it felt like a polished PS4 game. Why should 8 million people like me have to play cross gen bullshit because some people suck at buying consoles?

At some point demand will be less and systems will be available on shelves. Why can't those who have to wait buy the games then? Why make your more competent and interested customers settle for an inferior product because whiners can't wait or can't figure out how to get themselves in the know and prepared for drops? These are the same people who cry about scalpers getting < 10% of the systems.

I paid 500 plus tax to get this fucking PS5 because Sony can't seem to cope with putting games on PC. Someone else could have had my system and I would have bought Spiderman and Ratchet for PC. But I paid 500 bucks for games I can only get on Sony's platform and I don't want games that can't utilize all the features because they are so concerned about numbers that they give their early adopters a shittier experience because of it.

I will preorder Horizon and GoW as soon as they are available, but I don't like that they are cross gen.
115 million vs 8 million. You are going to get cross gen for a couple of years.

Top Bottom