• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 50 children found cleaning Midwest slaughterhouses [NBC News]

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Federal investigators are looking into whether 50 children — some as young as 13 — who were allegedly illegally employed cleaning Midwestern slaughterhouses were victims of labor trafficking, three officials from the Department of Homeland Security told NBC News.

Homeland Security Investigations agents have interviewed children who worked cleaning a JBS Foods slaughterhouse in Grand Island, Nebraska, the officials say.

There is no indication DHS is investigating the company that hired the children, Packers Sanitation Services Inc., or PSSI, for human trafficking. Instead, said two DHS officials, DHS is investigating to rule out the possibility that outside traffickers may have forced children to work for PSSI and profited off their labor.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
There is no indication DHS is investigating the company that hired the children, Packers Sanitation Services Inc., or PSSI, for human trafficking. Instead, said two DHS officials, DHS is investigating to rule out the possibility that outside traffickers may have forced children to work for PSSI and profited off their labor.
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

jason10mm

Gold Member
I am definitely curious to hear how you can make money bringing in kids across the border to work for scrap wages and then garnish said wages for profit. Either they all have families doing this for work and just some of them were teenagers or the "human trafficking" angle is a bit hyperbolic.

Hell, the guys who replaced my A/C units had their kid brother there, learning the trade. Made me feel proud. Glad he didn't get electrocuted or cut though :p

Winter John

I am definitely curious to hear how you can make money bringing in kids across the border to work for scrap wages and then garnish said wages for profit. Either they all have families doing this for work and just some of them were teenagers or the "human trafficking" angle is a bit hyperbolic.

Hell, the guys who replaced my A/C units had their kid brother there, learning the trade. Made me feel proud. Glad he didn't get electrocuted or cut though :p
Hey guyz. How do human traffickers turn a profit? Lol. I don’t know Lenny how does slavery work? Fuckin duh.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Stories get deeper and deeper a lot of crimes aren’t being looked at like this.

Winter John

If only things were done to have more secure border processes instead of less/free for all.
You been down there? There’s no way they’ll ever secure all of it. I got friends down in Bisbee. One night we sat and watched a whole stream of illegals coming over. It was something else.

Mistake

A majority of the children who have crossed the border are completely unaccounted for. So this news doesn’t surprise me at all. Sick stuff. What’s even more terrible is how little it’s covered compared to before, even though the situation is drastically worse

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You been down there? There’s no way they’ll ever secure all of it. I got friends down in Bisbee. One night we sat and watched a whole stream of illegals coming over. It was something else.
It was far better before the floodgates and free for all. And that's a fact.

The longer that is allowed, expect more stories such as this and sadly even more heinous. Like the truck full of 50 dead that was memory holed and nobody caring.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Look into human child trafficking while your at it. Pretty easy if you have no passport/credentials.

Sorry way offtopic.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

The longer that is allowed, expect more stories such as this and sadly even more heinous. Like the truck full of 50 dead that was memory holed and nobody caring.

Stop whining. We have more crucial issues to discuss

Thread 'Majority of developers see player harassment as a serious issue, survey suggests' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/majo...t-as-a-serious-issue-survey-suggests.1650335/

Winter John

Doesn‘t seem much different to me. At least the parts I been through.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I enjoy the double standards always at play in media. That smart device I'm using was made by a small class of kindergarten age Chinese boys, but they were Chinese boys in China.

The big shock appeal of this headline isn't that kids are working manual labor jobs, it's that it's happening in America, which I mean...it's kinda like conducting an interview on live news about how distraught you are that your small business got broke into while one of your employees is dead on the counter. Like...yes, both things are lousy, but one is the lousiest of the two.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hey guyz. How do human traffickers turn a profit? Lol. I don’t know Lenny how does slavery work? Fuckin duh.
Don't be dense, girls turning tricks for $100/john or muleing in $50k in weed or $500k in opiates are one thing, but teens working janitorial jobs for like $5/hr max???? After the effort of bringing them in and housing/feeding them somewhere, where is the $$$ in that?

Well, maybe illegals should be deported and people who hired them fined a hefty amount.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I enjoy the double standards always at play in media. That smart device I'm using was made by a small class of kindergarten age Chinese boys, but they were Chinese boys in China.

The big shock appeal of this headline isn't that kids are working manual labor jobs, it's that it's happening in America, which I mean...it's kinda like conducting an interview on live news about how distraught you are that your small business got broke into while one of your employees is dead on the counter. Like...yes, both things are lousy, but one is the lousiest of the two.
Were those kids undocumented? I know lots of people would breathe a sigh of relief if that were the case.

Last edited:

Winter John

Don't be dense, girls turning tricks for $100/john or muleing in $50k in weed or $500k in opiates are one thing, but teens working janitorial jobs for like $5/hr max???? After the effort of bringing them in and housing/feeding them somewhere, where is the $$$ in that?
“Don’t be dense.

Janitorial jobs for $5/hr max.“

Holy shit. Is this a parody account? They ain’t paying them lemonade stand money. These kids are paid the full rate and that cash goes straight to the traffickers.

”Where is the $$$ in that?”

50 kids, each earning let’s say an average of 4 grand a month. Maybe a bit less. Do the fuckin math.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Not shocked. And it's not unique to the midwest.

When I was in Wyoming as a teen (not exactly midwest but close right?) it was an open secret that a lot of 12-15 year olds on the reservation would go work at some chemical plant during the summer (I am not a native myself, I was just there with a good friend who's family lived on Wind River I think the name is).

When I lived down in and around the panhandle it wasn't uncommon to see what were clearly underage kids working at canneries and the places that jarred crab and other seafood, the places that typically only hired seasonal workers in the US on work visas or whatever they're called.

SiteSeer

good deflection, no one can tell the difference.

Winter John

So you’re saying it cannot be done?
I reckon you would have a better chance training cats to fly planes than stopping illegal immigration or modern slavery. Just looking at immigration alone. The border agents catch and deport what, an unlucky few? Ok. So what do those immigrants do once they’re back across the border? Go home? Maybe some of them do. I reckon most of them turn right back around and go back to where they were. You can walk right across the border. It ain’t that hard

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I reckon you would have a better chance training cats to fly planes than stopping illegal immigration or modern slavery. Just looking at immigration alone. The border agents catch and deport what, an unlucky few? Ok. So what do those immigrants do once they’re back across the border? Go home? Maybe some of them do. I reckon most of them turn right back around and go back to where they were. You can walk right across the border. It ain’t that hard
Can we just stick to helicopters?

I've a small garden.

They come back because there’s no consequences for being in the country illegally.

jason10mm

Gold Member
“Don’t be dense.

Janitorial jobs for $5/hr max.“

Holy shit. Is this a parody account? They ain’t paying them lemonade stand money. These kids are paid the full rate and that cash goes straight to the traffickers.

”Where is the $$$ in that?”

50 kids, each earning let’s say an average of 4 grand a month. Maybe a bit less. Do the fuckin math.
Ha ha ha, you think they are gonna pay ILLEGAL SLAVE LABOR a fair union wage? GTFO here! If they are paying a real wage they would hire normal people, not illegals! You think they are generating W2s and all that, skimming off their health insurance?

The folks still gotta live, gotta get fed, gotta get to work. Seriously doubt anyone is running slave traffic in America for a mere 4k/mo and ain't no janitor gig paying that much running trafficked illegals.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They come back because there’s no consequences for being in the country illegally.
Partly. They come here because there are job opportunities.

The root cause are the companies that allow illegal immigrants to work in meat processing, home building, agriculture, and all sorts of other industries They even advertise these positions in Mexico!

Wake me up when the CEOs of IBP, Tyson, or Purdue get fined severely and prosecuted for lacking processes to ensuring all employees are legal.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Most human trafficking/child trafficking in the IS is done with US citizens... Undocumented immigrants aren't the majority... But that's an inconvenient truth for many

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Partly. They come here because there are job opportunities.

The root cause are the companies that allow illegal immigrants to work in meat processing, home building, agriculture, and all sorts of other industries They even advertise these positions in Mexico!

Wake me up when the CEOs of IBP, Tyson, or Purdue get fined severely and prosecuted for lacking processes to ensuring all employees are legal.
You don’t fine people that contribute to your campaign.

Fine every company 1% of yearly revenue (not profit) for every illegal found to be knowingly hired, bump it up to 5% for every illegal minor knowingly hired.

It with both solve the problem, and skyrocket the price of food in one fell swoop. How much is the problem worth to you, on both sides of the political spectrum?

Edit - This post is primarily about the role illegal immigration has in the agriculture industry. I am not suggesting the child labor in the OP is in any way acceptable.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fine every company 1% of yearly revenue (not profit) for every illegal found to be knowingly hired, bump it up to 5% for every illegal minor knowingly hired.

It with both solve the problem, and skyrocket the price of food in one fell swoop. How much is the problem worth to you, on both sides of the political spectrum?

I think this is a fixable issue that doesn't demand some kind of deal with the Devil that involves child labor.

Synless

The problem is worth solving. Then you move onto the next issue which is how to solve the food price crisis legally and without child labor.

Top Bottom