• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS PG32UCDP 32-inch (2nd Gen MLA) 4K OLED with BFI for both 4K 240Hz and 1080P 480Hz.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Can I get it for 400 euro?
Please Please Cat GIF by Guldhart

That logo notch at the bottom :messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Normally, the smaller the oled tv, the dimmer it is because pixel pitch is smaller.
But they add heatsink and it 1300 nits peak which is even too much. So good on that.
I don't see a reason why you would go 1080p 480hz on it. 240 is more than enough. but fine, why not.
And of course it's matte... monitors... never change.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Also, I wnoder how they will do 1080p.
If they will integer scale 1080p res onto that 4k panel, 3d graphics will be pixelated, 2d pixelart graphics will benefit. I know. I tested integer scaling on 4k moniors years ago. It doesn't look as good as it sounds on 3d filtered games.

ASUS also has another 32" 4K, 240Hz, 3rd Gen QD-OLED with an anti-reflection (Glossy) display time-stamped in the video below. This one has 1000 nits vs 1300 nits from the one above. 1000 nits is more than enough for a 32" monitor.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
ASUS also has another 32" 4K, 240Hz, 3rd Gen QD-OLED with an anti-reflection (Glossy) display. This one has 1000 nits vs 1300 nits from the one above. 1000 nits is more than enough for a 32" monitor.

I only have 48" c1 oled obviously and it has 800 nits which is sometimes searingly bright because I use it as a moniotr - from monitor sitting distance on a desk.
Probably for TV viewing distance, brighter is better.
But for monitor use? 1000 sounds about perfect.

If these are using MLA panels, this means it's LG WOLED and white pixel is there. So should be quite durable for burn out compared to qd oled from samsung

I only have 48" c1 oled obviously and it has 800 nits which is sometimes searingly bright because I use it as a moniotr - from monitor sitting distance on a desk.
Probably for TV viewing distance, brighter is better.
But for monitor use? 1000 sounds about perfect.

If these are using MLA panels, this means it's LG WOLED and white pixel is there. So should be quite durable for burn out compared to qd oled from samsung

While it's true that LG's WOLED is more durable than the 1st and 2nd Gen QD-OLED, I saw this one video at this year's CES by either Vincent or Caleb where Samsung had their 3rd Gen QD-OLED next to a LG OLED TV (don't know which gen) showing off how much hotter the LG was driving their pixels vs the QD-OLED. The LG TV screen was running at around 95 degrees Celsius vs 55 degrees on the Samsung TV. I would have to wait for an independent testing to see whether this is true or not.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
While it's true that LG's WOLED is more durable than the 1st and 2nd Gen QD-OLED, I saw this one video at this year's CES by either Vincent or Caleb where Samsung had their 3rd Gen QD-OLED next to a LG OLED TV (don't know which gen) showing off how much hotter the LG was driving their pixels vs the QD-OLED. The LG TV screen was running at around 95 degrees Celsius vs 55 degrees on the Samsung TV. I would have to wait for an independent testing to see whether this is true or not.
yeah sounds like it makes sense.
but if slapping a heatsink on it was an issue, why wouldn't lg do that years ago and inventing white pixel ?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Normally, the smaller the oled tv, the dimmer it is because pixel pitch is smaller.
But they add heatsink and it 1300 nits peak which is even too much. So good on that.
I don't see a reason why you would go 1080p 480hz on it. 240 is more than enough. but fine, why not.
And of course it's matte... monitors... never change.
Tell me what game run at 4K 240hz at the moment…my 4090 want to know

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tell me what game run at 4K 240hz at the moment…my 4090 want to know
Probably doom 2016 and enter the gungeon. lol these were my go to when i had 240hz monitor.
I find 4k120 pretty good sweetspot. I dont feel the need for more hz honestly. 120 is handy

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OK I have a good way to show how 1080p looks displayed on 4k screen with normal default bilinear scaling that moniors use vs integer scaling.
In fact, this is how ps5 saved screenshots of 1080p bc games in the beginning before it was patched. It played fine but I was wondering why screenshots are so pixelated.

You need to view this in full full screen
normal:
qyBC8UG.jpg

Integer:
MpArsee.png

It might look sharper but it is just pixelated since pixels are quadrupled rather than stretched.
I fixed the screenshot just by downsizing it to 1080p and enlarging again. Paint applies the usual bilinear.

I do kinda like the sharp pixelated look but it's not intended. would be nice if sony offered an option but no way.
You can do this on pc. nvidia offers integer scaling option after I complained years and years ago.

simpatico

I've been kinda spoiled by 165hz. Got it last year and mostly played indie and old stuff all year. Decided to break out Wolfenstein The New Order, which is engine locked to 60fps, and holy shit I can't go back to 60fps at all. I'll take Hz over resolution all day long.

Senua

I've been kinda spoiled by 165hz. Got it last year and mostly played indie and old stuff all year. Decided to break out Wolfenstein The New Order, which is engine locked to 60fps, and holy shit I can't go back to 60fps at all. I'll take Hz over resolution all day long.
I can enjoy 60fps just fine If i'm playing with a gamepad but man... With a mouse it just has to be 100+ fps for me these days.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
OK I have a good way to show how 1080p looks displayed on 4k screen with normal default bilinear scaling that moniors use vs integer scaling.
In fact, this is how ps5 saved screenshots of 1080p bc games in the beginning before it was patched. It played fine but I was wondering why screenshots are so pixelated.

You need to view this in full full screen
normal:
qyBC8UG.jpg

Integer:
MpArsee.png

It might look sharper but it is just pixelated since pixels are quadrupled rather than stretched.
I fixed the screenshot just by downsizing it to 1080p and enlarging again. Paint applies the usual bilinear.

I do kinda like the sharp pixelated look but it's not intended. would be nice if sony offered an option but no way.
You can do this on pc. nvidia offers integer scaling option after I complained years and years ago.
Likely those wanting 1080p 480hz out of this are going to be playing super fast paced shooters and not care about visual fidelity for which you still have 4k 240hz within the same panel

Tomi

When oled hits over 800 nits on 100% window in brightness i will buy it

This wont hit over 300 nits on 100% , so i will say no buy

Mini led is way to go

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
When oled hits over 800 nits on 100% window in brightness i will buy it

This wont hit over 300 nits on 100% , so i will say no buy

Mini led is way to go
question.
When you use your usual ips/va monitor... do you run it at max brightness?
I used my every lcd monitor prior to oled at 25-40% brightness. I always checked reviews and measurements and checked which % is corresponding to 100-120nits range. This is the right nits for SDR.
So on Oled, I get about that for SDR when I play with 50% brightness and HDR is waaaaaaay brighter(hdr I don't touch, it's 100% as default). Sure, it might be 200nits full screen but that's never a thing in games. never. Unless you get flahbanged like a little bitch all the time lol

Last edited:

Tomi

question.
When you use your usual ips/va monitor... do you run it at max brightness?
I used my every lcd monitor prior to oled at 25-40% brightness. I always checked reviews and measurements and checked which % is corresponding to 100-120nits range. This is the right nits for SDR.
So on Oled, I get about that for SDR when I play with 50% brightness and HDR is waaaaaaay brighter(hdr I don't touch, it's 100% as default). Sure, it might be 200nits full screen but that's never a thing in games. never. Unless you get flahbanged like a little bitch all the time lol
I play on max brightness on mini led, i had oled before and it's so dimm that you lose so much small details
i would go back to oled when i see more than 500 nits on max window, below that if you ask me is bad

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I play on max brightness on mini led, i had oled before and it's so dimm that you lose so much small details
i would go back to oled when i see more than 500 nits on max window, below that if you ask me is bad
You play at a desk or from the couch?
blinds open? day or night?
if you don't see details on oled, I don't see how miniled would helps since the shadow details are also dark on it

mrcroket

You play at a desk or from the couch?
blinds open? day or night?
if you don't see details on oled, I don't see how miniled would helps since the shadow details are also dark on it
OLED is worse for near-black detail, that's one of its major drawbacks, for me it doesn't compensate for its pure black.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OLED is worse for near-black detail, that's one of its major drawbacks, for me it doesn't compensate for its pure black.
I mean it's a rather rare case it is something to consider and at least, lg oleds offer a ton of settings to raise near black detail if you want.
And if not, sony is supposedly a bit better for near black detail.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Having 4k at 120Hz with BFI is huge.

I'm sure the brightness is good, my steam deck oled gets crazy bright playing mass effect legendary edition with HDR and that uses a 1000 nit Samsung panel.

Top Bottom