• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro's Playroom

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Finally platinumed this,for a good while it was the only PS5 game I had but it really surprised what a fun little experience it was. Some of the gimmick suit sections were annoying but I liked it overall. And those later puzzle piece locations were just actual troll moments. Amazing soundtrack too.
Yeah same especially the monkey part. I used to think that nobody would enjoy that...Then 2 days ago my girlfriend's nieces came for the weekend and they had a blast playing that part, they were smiling and laughing the whole time.They are not used to playing games so they weren't good and the controller switched hands each time they died (for a good 30 min I don't think the controller stayed in one set of hands for more than 10 sec).Yeah they were bad, they knew it and didn't care, maybe we as gamers should go back a bit to this mentality.

ParaSeoul

Yeah same especially the monkey part. I used to think that nobody would enjoy that...Then 2 days ago my girlfriend's nieces came for the weekend and they had a blast playing that part, they were smiling and laughing the whole time.They are not used to playing games so they weren't good and the controller switched hands each time they died (for a good 30 min I don't think the controller stayed in one set of hands for more than 10 sec).Yeah they were bad, they knew it and didn't care, maybe we as gamers should go back a bit to this mentality.
I enjoyed the monkey sections,were a bit longer than I would have liked. My least favourite ones were probably the rocket one,gyro controls in that will kill you more times than anything,I ended up just using the triggers for boosting and steering. The touchpad ball sections ended up being my favourite ones,actually used it well and its hardly used in general.

Markio128

Yeah, my young daughter loved this game. She especially loved the controller and how she could feel the footsteps, etc,. We were both humming the soundtrack for weeks after playing it. They just don’t make games like this anymore and I really hope that Sony push them for a fully-fledged Astro bot game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I also plat it.
Can anyone check for me if you can see the whole screen in-game (not menus) vibrating?
It's like anti aliasing. I sit desk close to 48" tv and noticed it. I never noticed it before on 27" monitor.
Lol no other game is doing that

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

I also plat it.
Can anyone check for me if you can see the whole screen in-game (not menus) vibrating?
It's like anti aliasing. I sit desk close to 48" tv and noticed it. I never noticed it before on 27" monitor.
Lol no other game is doing that
I'm also on a 48 inch C1,I didn't see it,even up close

SilentUser

I love this little game. Great use of the dualsense, awesome sound and the quirky style always put a smile on my face. And I adored the monkey suit part of the game, but wasnt a big fan of the ball section 😅

ZoukGalaxy

I enjoy so much this game, it's SO FUN & FRESH !
I really wish it was released physically also.

Last edited:

Superwave

Banned
I hope another full length game comes I wouldn't even need to think before hitting the preorder button.

Still the only true next gen experience out there.

Wish the trophies were harder.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
One of the best PS5 games for sure. I'd like to see more movement options as he does feel a little limited at times, but other than that it's great. Basically the only AAA platformer we have other than Mario.

sainraja

This was truly great and a surprise for me as well. It's very smart of Sony to include this type of thing when they launch new hardware. But I agree with everyone saying they should release a full fledged game out of it. It is definitely fun to go through!

skit_data

Loved the final boss.

The T-Rex tech demo was the first thing I tried when I popped in the demo1 disc when my parents brought home a PS1 out of nowhere. The first ”game” I tried on the first console I got. I nearly barfed from nostalgia overload.

yea i was surprised too.

when I was little i played a lot of platforming games like this and then i stop caring much about it, but i love this game, it was fun, vibrant colors and relaxing.

I hope they are making an AAA one.
They did. It's called Rescue Mission.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
This game was my biggest surprise when i got to play on PS5. Its the best controller benchmark and incredible fun game to play. I really hope they make a second game but with a bigger scope and budget. I liked this more than Sackboy tbh and wouldn't mind if they replaced that with Astroboy. This has soo much potential that i don't whant them to waste this.

Allforce

This game still gets played a year after release. It's like the go-to for my 10 year old and his friends to show off the PS5 which is pretty wild.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Fantastic mini game, those who call this anywhere near a full game are delusional at a very high level, it's 3 hours long, maybe 4 if you collect everything. Hopefully the team is working on a full game now.

ParaSeoul

Fantastic mini game, those who call this anywhere near a full game are delusional at a very high level, it's 3 hours long, maybe 4 if you collect everything. Hopefully the team is working on a full game now.
You'd never get everything in 4 hours without a guide

Same length as firewatch, portal, journey, gone home, inside, REmake 3, undertale, goose game etc.

Are they also not full games?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Same length as firewatch, portal, journey, gone home, inside, REmake 3, undertale, goose game etc.

Are they also not full games?

I've only played goose game, and no not really.

I'll counter with this, if ratchet and clank came out last year, and it was 4 hours, would you have called that a full game? Or halo infinity with 20% of its current length? I don't think so.

Best game on the PS5, and the closest Sony has ever been to making a Nintendo game. It was a celebration of PlayStation in the vein of Super Mario Odyssey. Pure fun.

I've only played goose game, and no not really.

I'll counter with this, if ratchet and clank came out last year, and it was 4 hours, would you have called that a full game? Or halo infinity with 20% of its current length? I don't think so.
No cause those games arent typically known for being 5 hours long. If witcher 4 or Starfield comes out and they’re 15 hours long i wouldn’t consider them full games either, because the expectation for their length is much greater.

There is no metric as to length of time and how it relates to a full gaming experience. A game is a full game when the narrative and gameplay says it is. Like i said, there are full games nominated for awards that are less than 5 hours long. Astrobot is a full game, it has a beginning, middle, and ending, its own trophies, an extra game mode, and its listed on metacritic.

There’s not much more you need to consider

Last edited:

THE DUCK

No cause those games arent typically known for being 5 hours long. If witcher 4 or Starfield comes out and they’re 15 hours long i wouldn’t consider them full games either, because the expectation for their length is much greater.

There is no metric as to length of time and how it relates to a full gaming experience. A game is a full game when the narrative and gameplay says it is. Like i said, there are full games nominated for awards that are less than 5 hours long. Astrobot is a full game, it has a beginning, middle, and ending, its own trophies, an extra game mode, and its listed on metacritic.

There’s not much more you need to consider

I would always have to consider length, just because your criteria for length allows you to ignore it, doesn't mean everyone has to.
I fully suspect that every single professional game review site takes into account game length as part of thier score. Some may diminish its importance, but its always there.

I personally will never consider a 5hr game to be a full game. Great to play, yes, fun, yes, get a decent score, yes. But not really a full game. If astrobot had been released for $70, it's metacritic score would be far lower.

I would always have to consider length, just because your criteria for length allows you to ignore it, doesn't mean everyone has to.
I fully suspect that every single professional game review site takes into account game length as part of thier score. Some may diminish its importance, but its always there.

I personally will never consider a 5hr game to be a full game. Great to play, yes, fun, yes, get a decent score, yes. But not really a full game. If astrobot had been released for $70, it's metacritic score would be far lower.
Well its not 70 dollars, its free, and its an 83 on metacritic so thankfully its not up to you

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I had the chance to try it at a friend's house and was surprised at how detailed it was and how much love and care was put into it.

It's also very fun to play and the little I saw of the level desing ranged from ok to great.

Tripolygon

Banned
Yes, but its interesting how you failed to recognize how it being free would skew its score. Fortnite gets about the same score, very impressive.
Astro's PlayRoom is just Astro Bot rescue mission made for PS5 and that game has a 90 score on Metacritic. Its a really good game made by the same people.

MachRc

Good game in showing off the controller and system for sure, made me realize how boutique the PS5 is, as a "toy".
It gives the PS5 that extra specialness with these extra little features.

Banned
Finally platinumed this,for a good while it was the only PS5 game I had but it really surprised what a fun little experience it was. Some of the gimmick suit sections were annoying but I liked it overall. And those later puzzle piece locations were just actual troll moments. Amazing soundtrack too.

I think I platinumed it within 5h of playtime 2 days after getting the PS5. loved it. but if they ever wanna make a full game out of it they would really need to make the gameplay less basic. I think the VR game got away with the very simple gameplay because of the VR stuff adding enough intersting moments, although I haven't actually played the full game yet... I kinda dread to set up the PSVR just to play it -_- I only played the demo way back when it came out, and it since has been in PS+

god I hate the PSVR's awful setup process :messenger_confounded:

It’s my favorite part.

Giles

Glad to see so much love for this game. It’s genuinely the most fun I’ve had with the ps5 and with gaming for years for that matter.

Great experience, but pales in comparison to Rescue Mission. This series belongs in VR. With the DualSense and VR together, a sequel to Astrobot on PS VR 2.0 should be amazing.

Banned

oh god, look at all of these Mini Games:

WYis1MlzrJvMZzVVkMNwTM3CCp4Uo4aKMAYO4X0k9vw.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!rIFHDk2S40iBR1MBVT6pw~~60_57.JPG

the NES and SNES were such shit consoles! they barely had any full games!

edit: oh god and the PS1 as well!
look at these Minigames! they are everywhere!

OIP.bf_bVzwiRKKy_r26ELDgEwHaHP
psx_megaman8_screenshot.jpg

edit2: EA also tried to get away with it!
R.10020be427580b8ff5159ee9b7a1296e

Last edited:
Top Bottom