• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain Is Now Confirmed Fully Owned By Nintendo, Says PlatinumGames

MagnesG

Banned
From VGC:
Earlier this year fans noticed that Astral Chain’s copyright notice had been modified to remove mention of PlatinumGames. Asked if anything should be read into the change, studio head Atsushi Inaba told VGC this week, “it’s as it looks.”

He added: “It’s as it is written on the website: Astral Chain is their IP and as such there are limitations on how much we feel we should talk about.”

When asked for further clarification on Inaba’s comments regarding the Astral Chain IP ownership, a PlatinumGames spokesperson said the company was “not in a position to answer this question.”

Unlike Daemon X Machina where Nintendo only helps in publishing and marketing the game to success, Astral Chain developments are closely monitored and assisted by Nintendo. Here's to the new staple action RPG series for Nintendo IP portfolio.

Also there's a rumor where PlatinumGames actually swap out Wonderful 101 ownership - previously co-owned by Nintendo with this game. (!?)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And here goes my PC port dream flying away to the depths of space and time never to be seen again.

giphy.gif

MagnesG

Banned
Same. And the story fell apart towards the end.
The story doesn't need to be grand especially when you had to replay the chapters over and over again. It's not the main emphasis of games like this.

It wasn't that good.
I think the combat is brilliant.

Absolutely held back by the shit hardware.
Smooth 30 fps most of the time, I had no problems pulling off long combos and clearing the chapters in the hardest difficulty. So basically bullshit narrative.

Last edited:
That's a shame, I was hoping to see this game running in better hardware someday.

The combat was neat tho.

Wish they didn't go with a silent protagonist.. So many parts of the story where the main character not speaking felt.. Wrong.

That's a shame, I was hoping to see this game running in better hardware someday.

The combat was neat tho.

Wish they didn't go with a silent protagonist.. So many parts of the story where the main character not speaking felt.. Wrong.
You will on switch pro/2

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't worry about it, I said what I said. Get over yourself and stop the BS that just because someone said they didn't like the damn game you got to ask stupid questions. It's annoying because the community is toxic in asking everything to be on Smash and I don't like the game, problem?
So people only should ask characters in games you personally like for smash so you wouldn’t get “annoyed”.
200.gif

Corgi1985

Banned
The story doesn't need to be grand especially when you had to replay the chapters over and over again. It's not the main emphasis of games like this.

I think the combat is brilliant.

Smooth 30 fps most of the time, I had no problems pulling of long combos and clearing the chapters in the hardest difficulty. So basically bullshit narrative.
I never mentioned framerates, I'm talking about the vaseline quality resolution.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I really wanted to like it, but I couldn’t get into it. The story was bad, a little forgettable.

MagnesG

Banned
So this means we will see a sequel?
The game sold around 1 million in 4 months, still priced around $55 at retail now, released only on Switch. The director also commented that he was pleased with the sales.

The biggest hack and slash latest title DMC V sold around 4 mil from September 2020, now price around $27-35 in Steam, released on on the biggest multiple platforms.

In a financial standpoint getting a sequel is pretty much inevitable, just a question of when.

Last edited:

schaft0620

I think the bigger story here is that something is going on over at Platinum. They had the "Platinum 4" which turned out to be:

Project GG
W101R
A new office
"Something smaller coming soon"

So with that there isn't enough people employed there to be working on all of that and more. That leaves:

- Scalebound canceled
- Babylon's Fall????
- Bayonetta 3?????
- They aren't directly involved in Nier anything.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I remember when The Wonderful 101 Remastered was announced, some people were dead certain that every single Nintendo exclusive from Platinum games will become multiplatform soon. Well, so much for that, huh?

Was scouring the web last night for info on astral chain and bayo3, seems we should not get our hopes up for bayo3.

All we know for sure now is that Astral Chain will not come to other systems :/

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I thought since the failure of Scalebound, Platinumgames when working on new IP wanted to keep ownership on it. Hopefully there is an agreement somewhere that there is more to this for PG sake..

MagnesG

Banned
I think the bigger story here is that something is going on over at Platinum. They had the "Platinum 4" which turned out to be:

Project GG
W101R
A new office
"Something smaller coming soon"

So with that there isn't enough people employed there to be working on all of that and more. That leaves:

- Scalebound canceled
- Babylon's Fall????
- Bayonetta 3?????
- They aren't directly involved in Nier anything.
I'm done guessing what the fourth one could be, just gonna wait for the announcement.

I thought since the failure of Scalebound, Platinumgames when working on new IP wanted to keep ownership on it. Hopefully there is an agreement somewhere that there is more to this for PG sake..
They had to buy the IP if they wanted to keep it since everything is funded by owner. IMO Platinumgames have nothing to lose in every situation for developing them.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
And we are still waiting for their games

RIP chances of price cut

Seriously I feel like software like this is held back by Nintendo pricing policy. Its one thing to ask 60$ for Zelda sized game few years after release but I don't want to pay that for shorter games.

Hudo

Imagine if for Astral Chain 2, Nintendo went to Capcom.

...of course after Itsuno is done with Dragon's Dogma II.

Hudo

I think there's a better chance they give it to Team Ninja given how close they are to Koei Tecmo.
Ah, good thinking. I hadn't considered them. Yeah, KT and Nintendo are fairly close nowadays... but apparently not close enough to make a new Fatal Frame, goddamnit.

MagnesG

Banned
There was something totally off about Astral Chain. I couldn't even understand how to control that opening bike scene.
The bike scene is easy, just annoying to score high. Let's just say you're not supposed to get S score in the first run, you go back after some upgrades.
I think the controls are pretty clear though.

Top Bottom