• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Wrath of the Druids (PS5) is a great DLC to get!

Did you like AC Valhalla - Wrath of the Druids DLC?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Review platform: PS5, Performance mode.

Assassin-s-Creed-Valhalla.jpg

Get your blades sharp again, Drengr! If you enjoyed the generous base game then be ready for more! This DLC adds few spices here and there with a very good length. I've spent 22 hours to collect everything in the 4-region map. I started sluggish and sloppy, as you'll see in one gameplay video down, but then restored my skills back! Pretty addictive.

Glitches: Let's get this one out of our way! There are the regular glitches here and there, non-game-breaking ones, but like execution placement when on uneven grounds. Overall, the game is pretty solid. Had only one glitch which I flied outside the map to the sky! Hilarious but respawned back at the same spot few seconds later. Don't remember encountering screen tearing this time, also the base game seems to have solved it in that snow village.

Game Difficulty: At Drengr (very hard) I'm very disappointed at how easy it is, part of it me being a tank due to extensive exploration in the base game. Now setting at around 93 mastery points. It should give the option to scale the enemies accordingly like in AC Odyssey. This is the worst part of the game to me. They made it worst by making Ireland fitting a new fresh start with pretty low level requirements. I think the ones who don't play thoroughly would appreciate the difficulty though.

Difficulty is something like 3/10.

Exploration and map design: Very addictive with a nice, fresh taste. It has breathtaking sceneries, and nice side quests to play. Although being addictive doesn't mean that the game has brought many ground-breaking side quests, but gamers who loved the base game will feel a nice, fresh taste here with amazing scenes along the way.

Story: I think the story was overall decent, and if I had to put a number I would say 7/10. Although they tried to make us have deep feelings towards some, we didn't spend enough time to build that with them. Overall I can say that the main characters are memorable enough and each have unique characters like the base game.

So what's new?

The focus in witchcraft here is pretty obvious, and the design of some woods with creepy visual and sound effects that make you turn around are a welcome change of atmosphere. And if you loved the "Order" hit list, it's back with but smaller which is nice. They made the regenerated side quest more Assassin-focused in terms of objectives, although you don't lose much if you break them but great challenges for those who wanna continue playing.

There are a lot of new outfits and gear, if anything I believe Assassin's Creed Valhalla has the best loot variety in looks, at least, than most RPG games, if not all of them. Looking back at The Witcher 3 it barely had any good-looking outfits. But they made you "pay" for each visual choice you wanna look like (dressing with another outfit but keeping the perks of the main/hidden, unwanted outfit), so you need to go to the shop to change everything which is a hinderance. I stick with 2 outfits because of that and because of upgrading is extremely expensive for a collector.

TL;DR

For those who bought the base game and loved it and gave it 8/10 or higher, I highly recommend it. If you didn't then overall it provides more of the good things that AC fans loved.

Previous review of the base game:

Some videos I made, if interested:

Last edited:

SnapShot

Wake me up when they decide to put this game on Steam, judging by Division 2 it's probably not going to happen anytime soon (if ever)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Added to the OP:

I stopped after reaching level 160 or whatever the grind was too much

Would have loved it if it wasn't too RPG and took notes from Ghost of Tsushima, which is the proper Assassin's Creed to many. 10 levels or so like in Unity were more than enough. Make it skill-based, make "Very Hard" challenging. I became too overpowered because I enjoyed the exploration.

Last edited:
I hear the DLC is the best part of most of these AC games, so I believe you. But they're usually pretty long games that I don't make it to the end of.

They should put some of this stuff earlier in the game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I hear the DLC is the best part of most of these AC games, so I believe you. But they're usually pretty long games that I don't make it to the end of.

They should put some of this stuff earlier in the game.

Actually I think I liked the base game on the same level, but of course base game had way more content and also many free DLC's like the River Raid map that I've just checked out once before jumping to this one.

The base game starts pretty slow and can feel very boring, but you really build up amazing relations with most of the sub-main characters in the game with many interactions. Overall put around 163 hours on the base game (collected everything but the things on this new raid mode) and with the DLC I'm at around 185 hours now.

If you have enough spare time to pour such amount then I highly recommend it, but it feels like a slow burn so be patient.

Last edited:
Actually I think I liked the base game on the same level, but if course base game had way more content and also many free DLC's like the River Raid map that I've just checked out once before jumping to this one.

The base game starts pretty slow and can feel very boring, but you really build up an amazing relation with most sub-main characters in the game with many interaction. Overall put around 163 hours on the base game (collected everything but the things on this new raid mode) and with the DLC I'm at around 185 hours now.

If you have enough spare time to pour such amount then I highly recommend it, but it feels like a slow burn so be patient.
That's cool. I'll definitely keep that in mind! I enjoyed Origins and Odyssey, but I didn't finish either. I didn't really dislike what I was playing, I guess I just got distracted by other games and put them down after about 30 hours. I think they could use some of those really memorable, DLC-style quests that feel different - earlier in the game - to help keep the momentum rolling just a bit more until the end. But yeah, the games are fun. I'll get Ragnarok eventually I'm sure.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's cool. I'll definitely keep that in mind! I enjoyed Origins and Odyssey, but I didn't finish either. I didn't really dislike what I was playing, I guess I just got distracted by other games and put them down after about 30 hours. I think they could use some of those really memorable, DLC-style quests that feel different - earlier in the game - to help keep the momentum rolling just a bit more until the end. But yeah, the games are fun. I'll get Ragnarok eventually I'm sure.

I can understand that. Although I loved Odyssey more, that story was just amazing in Odyssey.

There has only been 2 assassin's Creed games I really enjoyed. Black Flag and Valhalla.

Odyssey has the most epic naval battles then! Also has the chaotic battles that feel like war that Valhalla lacks. You might consider giving it a chance because overall they're pretty similar.

Last edited:
I think BO works for Ubisoft. I played every single AC and finished them as well, with Odyssey being one of the best but I just could not get into Valhalla for some reason. I got bored after 10h or so.. tell me BO why I should get back to it. Also is the DLC a side story or an actual continuation of the main story like the DLC for Odyssey was, because if its the latter perhaps it would be best to just wait for every single dlc and then maybe give it a try again.

cragarmi

Review platform: PS5, Performance mode.

Get your blades sharp again, Drengr! If you enjoyed the generous base game then be ready for more! This DLC adds few spices here and there with a very good length. I've spent 22 hours to collect everything in the 4-region map. I started sluggish and sloppy, as you'll see in one gameplay video down, but then restored my skills back! Pretty addictive.

Glitches: Let's get this one out of our way! There are the regular glitches here and there, non-game-breaking ones, but like execution placement when on uneven grounds. Overall, the game is pretty solid. Had only one glitch which I flied outside the map to the sky! Hilarious but respawned back at the same spot few seconds later. Don't remember encountering screen tearing this time, also the base game seems to have solved it in that snow village.

Game Difficulty: At Drengr (very hard) I'm very disappointed at how easy it is, part of it me being a tank due to extensive exploration in the base game. Now setting at around 93 mastery points. It should give the option to scale the enemies accordingly like in AC Odyssey. This is the worst part of the game to me. They made it worst by making Ireland fitting a new fresh start with pretty low level requirements. I think the ones who don't play thoroughly would appreciate the difficulty though.

Difficulty is something like 3/10.

Exploration and map design: Very addictive with a nice, fresh taste. It has breathtaking sceneries, and nice side quests to play. Although being addictive doesn't mean that the game has brought many ground-breaking side quests, but gamers who loved the base game will feel a nice, fresh taste here with amazing scenes along the way.

Story: I think the story was overall decent, and if I had to put a number I would say 7/10. Although they tried to make us have deep feelings towards some, we didn't spend enough time to build that with them. Overall I can say that the main characters are memorable enough and each have unique characters like the base game.

So what's new?

The focus in witchcraft here is pretty obvious, and the design of some woods with creepy visual and sound effects that make you turn around are a welcome change of atmosphere. And if you loved the "Order" hit list, it's back with but smaller which is nice. They made the regenerated side quest more Assassin-focused in terms of objectives, although you don't lose much if you break them but great challenges for those who wanna continue playing.

There are a lot of new outfits and gear, if anything I believe Assassin's Creed Valhalla has the best loot variety in looks, at least, than most RPG games, if not all of them. Looking back at The Witcher 3 it barely had any good-looking outfits. But they made you "pay" for each visual choice you wanna look like (dressing with another outfit but keeping the perks of the main/hidden, unwanted outfit), so you need to go to the shop to change everything which is a hinderance. I stick with 2 outfits because of that and because of upgrading is extremely expensive for a collector.

TL;DR

For those who bought the base game and loved it and gave it 8/10 or higher, I highly recommend it. If you didn't then overall it provides more of the good things that AC fans loved.

Previous review of the base game:

Hi Bo,

Really enjoying your reviews of late. Still feeling pretty burnt out on the base game currently, but I will definitely consider the season pass a little down the line. Working my way through Village still at the mo. I agree with you about the difficulty, scaling it with your level definitely kept Odyssey more balanced, maybe they will have added that option by the time I get around to this. Really interested in giving Returnal a go, but my lack of dexterity is putting me off, given how fast paced it looks.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think BO works for Ubisoft. I played every single AC and finished them as well, with Odyssey being one of the best but I just could not get into Valhalla for some reason. I got bored after 10h or so.. tell me BO why I should get back to it. Also is the DLC a side story or an actual continuation of the main story like the DLC for Odyssey was, because if its the latter perhaps it would be best to just wait for every single dlc and then maybe give it a try again.

I'm a long-term AC fan, and I must tell you, in the first ~17 hours I nearly stopped playing and deleted the game! The game just starts with the worst, most cringy side quests ever, with a very bitter taste of "rushed story" or "wtf is happening?". The pacing of the early 20 hours is a complete garbage to my honest opinion.

But hey, I ended up playing 163 hours, completing and collecting every single collectable, anything shines I collected it like a crow! Not for Platinum, far from it and you may even check my PSN.

Odyssey is more linear story, and most impactful, but Valhalla feels like a solid series of small stories that collectively make the story very great and you really feel attached to all the allies.

I ended it in the perfect ending, same with Odyssey, so story experience might differ.

If you feel empty with plenty of time, force yourself! You'll start to appreciate it.

Hi Bo,

Really enjoying your reviews of late. Still feeling pretty burnt out on the base game currently, but I will definitely consider the season pass a little down the line. Working my way through Village still at the mo. I agree with you about the difficulty, scaling it with your level definitely kept Odyssey more balanced, maybe they will have added that option by the time I get around to this. Really interested in giving Returnal a go, but my lack of dexterity is putting me off, given how fast paced it looks.

Man, at the very early 10-20 hours of AC Valhalla I was mostly like this.

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

Cringe is off the roof, there are still some cringy side quests later but much less, some might advice you to not have any lethal tool next to you as you might kill yourself!

It's like the writer let his little girl write the beginning while he was out for weekend. Also another hint is to avoid mixing games together as it's very easy to lose track of the story.

Give it a chance, but don't force yourself too much, it might not be for you.

Also for Returnal you might take a look at my walkthroughs and I've filled them with text hints (turn on CC). To me, the difficulty was something like 7/10 in Returnal, which is good.

Last edited:

cragarmi

I'm a long-term AC fan, and I must tell you, in the first ~17 hours I nearly stopped playing and deleted the game! The game just starts with the worst, most cringy side quests ever, with a very bitter taste of "rushed story" or "wtf is happening?". The pacing of the early 20 hours is a complete garbage to my honest opinion.

But hey, I ended up playing 163 hours, completing and collecting every single collectable, anything shines I collected it like a crow! Not for Platinum, far from it and you may even check my PSN.

Odyssey is more linear story, and most impactful, but Valhalla feels like a solid series of small stories that collectively make the story very great and you really feel attached to all the allies.

I ended it in the perfect ending, same with Odyssey, so story experience might differ.

If you feel empty with plenty of time, force yourself! You'll start to appreciate it.

Man, at the very early 10-20 hours of AC Valhalla I was mostly like this.

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

Cringe is off the roof, there are still some cringy side quests later but much less, some might advice you to not have any lethal tool next to you as you might kill yourself!

It's like the writer let his little girl write the beginning while he was out for weekend. Also another hint is to avoid mixing games together as it's very easy to lose track of the story.

Give it a chance, but don't force yourself too much, it might not be for you.

Also for Returnal you might take a look at my walkthroughs and I've filled them with text hints (turn on CC). To me, the difficulty was something like 7/10 in Returnal, which is good.
Sorry didn't make it clear, I completed the base game a while back including the order quest line, and the other.. place. But I've no wish to return to the game currently as I just felt like I was doing it to see it through and not really enjoying it towards the end. Is there less cringe in the dlc?

Thanks I'll give your video of Returnal a shot and see what I think. No button mashing is there?, haven't seen much about accessibility for this game.

Ceadeus

I love the color schemes. Both witcher 3 expansions would have be even better with the character mobility of Assassin's Creed.

Mobility in witcher 3 is so floaty and shitty it makes you feel disconnected from its world :/

Mossybrew

I'm a few hours in but it really just feels like more of the same. It's ok. However I've already come across two gamestopping bugs where I had to reload a prior save, which never happened to me during the main game.

Twinblade

I can understand that. Although I loved Odyssey more, that story was just amazing in Odyssey.

Odyssey has the most epic naval battles then! Also has the chaotic battles that feel like war that Valhalla lacks. You might consider giving it a chance because overall they're pretty similar.

I think black flag had a better navel battle.. I still have PTSD after fighting legendary ships.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sorry didn't make it clear, I completed the base game a while back including the order quest line, and the other.. place. But I've no wish to return to the game currently as I just felt like I was doing it to see it through and not really enjoying it towards the end. Is there less cringe in the dlc?

Thanks I'll give your video of Returnal a shot and see what I think. No button mashing is there?, haven't seen much about accessibility for this game.

Yeah the DLC is cringe-free, played everything. No cheesy jokes, feels formal overall with some well-timed jokes/sarcastic takes.

No button mashing in the game but more of like having 4 eyes and 20 fingers to keep up in some situations! If your reflexes aren't healthy you may only pay for your own torture, so be ware, brother.

I love the color schemes. Both witcher 3 expansions would have be even better with the character mobility of Assassin's Creed.

Mobility in witcher 3 is so floaty and shitty it makes you feel disconnected from its world :/

Yeah but Witcher 3 had more well-crafted side missions. Overall I liked Odyssey more than The Witcher, it was just so good, but Valhalla has the better map and feel of exploration. Also miss the naval wars and land wars in Odyssey, and the iconic, memorable characters of the Greek world.

I'm a few hours in but it really just feels like more of the same. It's ok. However I've already come across two gamestopping bugs where I had to reload a prior save, which never happened to me during the main game.

There are many game mechanics that'll open up. After stopping playing it and coming back to the game I wasn't like it, but you then get sucked in. Overall it's more of the same with some new stuff and slightly tighter design and some emphasis into Assassination for some minor missions.

I think black flag had a better navel battle.. I still have PTSD after fighting legendary ships.

I didn't even beat one back then!

Raphael

I grew very tired by 60% of the base game, and slugged through 25% more. I have like 15% to finish it and cant get myself to do it. So will skip the dlc for the time being lol.

I cant for my life understand why ubisoft is so focused on those huge uninspired worlds and stories. Just cut the thing in half and make it better. Then release more dlc with better content.

Im sure they have good talent to do good stories but its like they choose to make them bland. The characters themselves are often top notch though!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I grew very tired by 60% of the base game, and slugged through 25% more. I have like 15% to finish it and cant get myself to do it. So will skip the dlc for the time being lol.

I cant for my life understand why ubisoft is so focused on those huge uninspired worlds and stories. Just cut the thing in half and make it better. Then release more dlc with better content.

I love those gang wars though back in GTA San Andreas, but those can turn from essentials to complementary side missions, I guess. More focus on a tighter story would help avoid distraction to many games. I just have plenty of spare time. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Twinblade

Yeah the DLC is cringe-free, played everything. No cheesy jokes, feels formal overall with some well-timed jokes/sarcastic takes.

No button mashing in the game but more of like having 4 eyes and 20 fingers to keep up in some situations! If your reflexes aren't healthy you may only pay for your own torture, so be ware, brother.

Yeah but Witcher 3 had more well-crafted side missions. Overall I liked Odyssey more than The Witcher, it was just so good, but Valhalla has the better map and feel of exploration. Also miss the naval wars and land wars in Odyssey, and the iconic, memorable characters of the Greek world.

There are many game mechanics that'll open up. After stopping playing it and coming back to the game I wasn't like it, but you then get sucked in. Overall it's more of the same with some new stuff and slightly tighter design and some emphasis into Assassination for some minor missions.

I didn't even beat one back then!

Neither did I.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I love the Ireland setting but it's more of the same so far with some old school pigeon coops thrown in. Like the main game I play in small doses otherwise like some of you I'd get burnt out.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
no offense OP but why in the FUCK would you want to buy DLC for any UBI game. as their games are not pointlessly long to start with xD

i stopped playing this game after 12 hours or so , as i legit thought i was doing the same damn thing over and over and over again.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
no offense OP but why in the FUCK would you want to buy DLC for any UBI game. as their games are not pointlessly long to start with xD

i stopped playing this game after 12 hours or so , as i legit thought i was doing the same damn thing over and over and over again.

Spent 163 hours on the main game, 22 hours on the DLC. I automatically buy AC gold edition since years, and I acknowledge their flaws but people are too tough against them yet much worse games seem to get a pass. Yearly releases didn't help as well.

I loved the main game as 9/10, this one as well a 9/10 to me. The game introduces new mechanics slowly, and unfolds in a nice way when you keep playing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Spent 163 hours on the main game, 22 hours on the DLC. I automatically buy AC gold edition since years, and I acknowledge their flaws but people are too tough against them yet much worse games seem to get a pass. Yearly releases didn't help as well.

I loved the main game as 9/10, this one as well a 9/10 to me. The game introduces new mechanics slowly, and unfolds in a nice way when you keep playing.
I think it's the yearly releases aye!
My gripe is the lack of innovation. (did buy origin because of new rpg elements ) I liked origin. But again after 20 hours or so I just wanted the damn game to end. Glad to see some people still really love the assassins games tho. I will prolly be back when the next big jump is. But valhalla didn't do it for me

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think it's the yearly releases aye!
My gripe is the lack of innovation. (did buy origin because of new rpg elements ) I liked origin. But again after 20 hours or so I just wanted the damn game to end. Glad to see some people still really love the assassins games tho. I will prolly be back when the next big jump is. But valhalla didn't do it for me

I can understand that and respect that. Odyssey was a wonderful game, better than Valhalla and one of my best games ever. But if it was shorter it'll be even more impactful.

I can't say Ghost of Tsushima fills the void for me, because it won't release fast enough, but it's what I want AC to be: make it skill-based, less RPG. Now I'm too powerful and the RAID RIVER extra content I'll just let my crew wait and go wipe out the castles then call them in to collect the loot. GOT isn't hard enough most of the time, but those strawheads are mean fuckers, also the duelers. Overall, I can see the game using more AI on PS5 and make fighting 2-3 foes more overwhelming and needs skills.

Man you hype the fuck out of this game for me Bo

I'll need to see if I can get back in during the drought after Biomutant and Ratchet. I stopped when Demon's Souls and Miles came and I just couldn't get back into it. Might need to start a new game.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Man you hype the fuck out of this game for me Bo

I'll need to see if I can get back in during the drought after Biomutant and Ratchet. I stopped when Demon's Souls and Miles came and I just couldn't get back into it. Might need to start a new game.

I would suggest starting fresh, also not sure if people are playing as females as I always go to the male when options is there. A warrior woman is just too much for semi-realistic setup. Also the male character is a calm guy, usually spitting so much wisdom and elegant words when he talks. He's so unique compared to what I've played, humble as well. No cheap grunts.

The female character so one gameplay footage acting like a brute with cringy grunts. Reminds me of those SJW screaming females. Forced female fighters in the game as brutes has ruined the game since Odyssey to me.

Weirdly I'm playing this on 4k 30 mode on my series x , it looks so much better in 4k u can really see and appreciate the details in armor and the world in 4k , the performance mode resolution is too low for my taste

Weirdly I'm playing this on 4k 30 mode on my series x , it looks so much better in 4k u can really see and appreciate the details in armor and the world in 4k , the performance mode resolution is too low for me

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Weirdly I'm playing this on 4k 30 mode on my series x , it looks so much better in 4k u can really see and appreciate the details in armor and the world in 4k , the performance mode resolution is too low for my taste

Maybe because it goes lower than PS5 in performance mode down to 1080p according to VGTech. Overall if you prefer the 30fps then that what you should be playing, it's good to have the option but I think from my experience the sacrifice is small enough to go for 60fps instead.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I played 125 hours of the main game. It was a drag. Spent about 18 on the dlc and really enjoyed it.

I think they need to listen to the feedback indeed, because explorations, although fun, it wasn't rewarding enough. Upgrading your gears is too expensive overall. They can make the game a bit tighter and refine the story more and make it more impactful. Even though Odyssey was also long, the story was much more mature and impactful.

DeaDPo0L84

I still have not finished this game after 50+ hours and I cannot get myself motivated enough to do so. Odd coming off of previous entries like Odyssey where I loved every minute of it including the dlc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I still have not finished this game after 50+ hours and I cannot get myself motivated enough to do so. Odd coming off of previous entries like Odyssey where I loved every minute of it including the dlc.

Odyssey was 10/10 to me and one of my best games of all times. This game is very good, 9/10, but not at the level of the previous one. Even side missions on Odyssey, the black ones, are so refined and quality packed, and many of your choices can be pretty drastic. Also any game that makes me tear is an instant epic game to me, the ending broke me, although had the perfect ending.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (as well as a ton of other Ubisoft games) is on sale now on the Epic Games Store, and in honor of the big bucks you’ll be saving, the Ubisoft News team will be showing off more gameplay from the games’ latest expansion, Wrath of the Druids. The new DLC takes Eivor to Ireland where they must aid High-King Flann Sinna in uniting Ireland all while exploring the mysteries of an ancient druidic cult and the sudden appearance of fearsome werewolves.

Ywap

I finished the main game and got burned out so i think i´ll skip the new material. The raids were really boring and you got overpowered way too fast imo.

Awesome looking and smooth running game though. Thumps up for that (y)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I finished the main game and got burned out so i think i´ll skip the new material. The raids were really boring and you got overpowered way too fast imo.

Awesome looking and smooth running game though. Thumps up for that (y)

Yeah for raid I usually just go alone and smash them all. Combat lacks depth and AI isn't really great. Hope the next AC will be current gen only.

Top Bottom