• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla will run at 4K 60FPS on Xbox Series X

Stuart360

But...we are talking about Valhalla, have you seen video couple of weeks before posted here, when it looked like a garbage, including animation?
I have seen quite a few vids, and they are usually shit quality. It was the same with vids of Odyssey. If you know of a 4k direct feed vid, please post it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have seen quite a few vids, and they are usually shit quality. It was the same with vids of Odyssey. If you know of a 4k direct feed vid, please post it.

I'm pleased, 1440p on a 2080 average 54 fps .

I was not talking about Oddysey, but Valhalla, I need to find that thread. I know that Odyssey looks good.

Oh here it is:

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Good.
Seeing some of the recent gameplay and how it didn't look noticeably better than odyssey (if anything it actually seems to look worse) it made no sense for it not to be 60fps on next gen consoles.
I think some of that maybe due to it being in England.

Stuart360

I was not talking about Oddysey, but Valhalla, I need to find that thread. I know that Odyssey looks good.

Oh here it is:

But thats what i mean, the bitrate on that vid is atrocious. It was a promotional vid sent out by Ubisoft to Youtubers.
Odyssey can also look shit on many Youtube vids. When you are literally playing it in front of you though, at max settings, Odyssey looks amazing.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Oh here it is:

Yeah i do need to look more into Valhalla but I'm happy to have a open world game on console 60fps.

Romulus

I dont agree. Odyssey maxed out on PC looks amazing, and better than Horizon ZD by the way, i have not been impressed with that game. Odyssey also produced a stuttery 50-60fps at 100% usage on my 6700k. It took my new 2700X to get a locked 60fps. I actually find it quite impressive they are hitting 60fps at 4k on XSX, and i presume PS5.

But that's the issue, Odyssey actually looks really good, this doesn't. I have not seen a single video that compared to Odyssey. If you told me they got Odyssey running at 4k 60fps XSX maxed out that would be impressive. This game looks like a different team handled it with a less ambitious visual options. It looks like it could have came out around 2014.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
But thats what i mean, the bitrate on that vid is atrocious. It was a promotional vid sent out by Ubisoft to Youtubers.
Odyssey can also look shit on many Youtube vids. When you are literally playing it in front of you though, at max settings, Odyssey looks amazing.
I mean even so, it looks bad from the animation standpoint and that sort of thing, I don't think this should be just throw it from the table, just because it's lower-bitrate...

Stuart360

But that's the issue, Odyssey actually looks really good, this doesn't. I have not seen a single video that compared to Odyssey. If you told me they got Odyssey running at 4k 60fps XSX maxed out that would be impressive. This game looks like a different team handled it with a less ambitious visual options. It looks like it could have came out around 2014.
It was the same team making this that made Origins, another fantastic looking game maxed on PC. There is literally no reason why this would look worse, no reason.
In fact the best vid i have seen of Valhalla so far is the 10 secs or so in the Series S reveal vid at the end, its actually good quality video and the game looked great imo.

EDIT.

7:27-7:32, it looks stunning there imo.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Thumbs down! Thumbs down! Boo hiss. And double boo hiss.

I loved being on the water in Odyssey. Sometimes after work I’d launch Odyssey just to go sailing.

I liked the Boating, but wasn't a huge fan of combat and it just made me want to play AC4

Vikings and a settlement you can maintain. Nah, fam, more boat.

I think the riverboat stuff won't be nearly as boaty as Odyssey, just a lot of raiding.

Last edited:

Romulus

It was the same team making this that made Origins, another fantastic looking game maxed on PC. There is literally no reason why this would look worse, no reason.
In fact the best vid i have seen of Valhalla so far is the 10 secs or so in the Series S reveal vid at the end, its actually good quality video and the game looked great imo.

I've seen them all, and Valhala just looks like a big step back in terms of fidelity. It instantly stood out as "oh man, what happened."

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Someone hit the magic DX12 button :lollipop_open_mouth:

v3NmF5E.gif

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
So thats new spin by Sony fanboys?

Aww keep that salt flowing.

Have you watched videos of this game? it does not look good. At all. On any platform.

Odyssey is a shitty game but one of the best looking this gen. I don't know what happened.

Last edited:

Garjon

I'm not saying it isn't true, but there's nothing on social media on this, and this website is the only place reporting on it.

scalman

will it be just one of the options maybe, like maybe we will get other stuff there like upgraded visuals or thats all maxed on 4k 60 fps impressive.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
With that system he wont even get 60 fps at 1080p stable.
Yeah not the greatest cpu, but apparently 3080 tests coming in at 67fps average on ACO @ 4k, not sure what cpu but i can imagine its a pretty decent cpu.

Edit its on a 10900k 5ghz.

Last edited:

Rikkori

AC is an interesting case. It's very HD heavy because of texture streaming. AC:Odd performed a shitload better once you got an SSD. Now, I firmly believe all the "SSD is maaaaagic" marketing bullshit from Sony is just that...but in AC's case it could actually matter a lot.
Ironically it can be the opposite
Ubisoft needs to work on some kind of hysteresis and rate control in their resource manager; it is not DRM contrary to popular belief that causes high CPU load on PC, but insane driver overhead caused by really naïve resource management for such a vast open-world game.

It should be easily fixable. Clearly the dev. team focuses on consoles because there appears to be no consideration given to the significantly higher throughput of PC storage devices such as my NVMe SSDs in RAID0. The faster your disk is and the more CPU cores you have, the more of an unpredictable performance nightmare this all becomes.

Thus, we have a repeat of Arkham Knight and nobody seems to have learned anything

Last edited:
I bet the visuals will be gimped. Ubisoft is known for this.

Disclaimer: Not shitting on the hardware, being sarcastic towards Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Romulus

Could this indicate that the Series X is more powerful than a 2080/2080 Super?

No. It could be, but this is the first time in over a decade that we've seen a decent gaming PC stuffed in a console. Obviously its more complicated than that, but seeing optimization from these consoles means it could literally outbox PCs that are more powerful than XSX.

At this point, console developers are masters at optimization, so expect interesting results with the new machines. They're literally been pushing and squeezing a CPU that's less capable than an I3 for 7 years.

And with an SSD? No idea how that will affect console optimization. It could be incredibly effective.

Last edited:
What happened to all the people saying it was 30 fps to downplay the Series X's power?

You mean PCMR nutcases and Ubisoft themselves right? No one else ever tried to downplay Series X. Also it's strange they omitted Series S to have 60fps. Also what's the source on this 60fps confirmation? I saw AC Middle East Twitter people mentioning it. Was this information confirmation from Ubi NA?

sendit

Whaaa

I paid $800 for my GPU alone and I can't play Assassin's Creed Valhalla at 4K/60

Whaaa

*I buy a Series X for $499 and play at 4K/60

3639d138359d0c3e7a9a64ff9005637e.gif

Do you usually make ignorant generalizations in real life?

Huge misinformed/misguided assumptions. Graphical settings are adjustable on PC. You don’t know what settings developers have chosen to achieve this on consoles.

Last edited:

Romulus

Credibility Test:
Watch that and get back to me with some honest feedback.

I watched 6 minutes of it, and I don't think that video helps the argument that it looks good at all. It looks bland and empty. Like a barren Witcher 3, but less fidelity. Not to mention the animations look incomplete.

Every so often I might see a texture or reflection that looked nice but overall it just does nothing to wow me like Odyssey did.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

Huge misinformed/misguided assumptions. Graphical settings are adjustable on PC. You don’t know what settings developers have chosen to achieve this on consoles.

Are your assumptions guided then? Have you?

Romulus

But we will know the settings on console, and there will be at least 2 options. "More options on pc" has nothing to do with 1v1 comparisons that can be made. If it runs at 1800p 60fps ultra/high on XSX, can a 2080ti match that? We'll see.

I liked the Boating, but wasn't a huge fan of combat and it just made me want to play AC4

I think the riverboat stuff won't be nearly as boaty as Odyssey, just a lot of raiding.
That's the dream. The boat stuff was okay but the trips were very long. I try not to fast travel too much in open world games to appreciate their size more but Odyssey definitely pushed my patience on that front.

Top Bottom