• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla will run at 4K 30FPS on Xbox Series X

Sell MacBook, upgrade pc, buy laptop.
PC build would be entirely new. Due to discounts I get, MacBook upgrade would run me $600. Not looking at spending over $1200 total. You won’t catch me buying a Windows laptop.
On average Ps4 Pro 1440p, XB1X 1728p with some higher settings on X. Both dynamic rez so mostly around this according to DF.
That makes this sound even worse if it’s only a ~1800p>2160p upgrade with that much power increase. Especially if it doesn’t utilize RT.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I can't say I don't blame them. Graphics sell systems. you can't see 60fps in a screen shot, but you can clearly see pretty pixels.
But clearly is still 30 FPS : D

This doesn't sound good, Now I'm starting to have doubts about this new Xbox.
Because PS5 is going to be different in this regard or what? Such a weird post.

Last edited:

jadefire66

If anyone actually thought they were gonna play AAA games on next gen consoles with 60 FPS... lol. Never going to happen.

I got trolled and trolled and trolled for telling these console gamers that next-gen games are going to look like current gen PC games at Ultra settings running at 4k/30FPS.

Of course they didn't agree because I supposedly had an "agenda" instead of actually understanding how graphics pipelines work. Oh well...

You are claiming "victory" based on a third party cross-gen launch title that's coming out on the entire family of PlayStation and xbox consoles as well as stadia and PC? maybe wait a year or two and then see where we are.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No shit...

Last 2 ac are ultra heavy to downright broken on pc, there was no chance of valhalla being at 60fps and 4k and with high-ultra details\rtx to differentiate itself from the current gen version.

People need to lower their expectations for open world games at 4k60 on console.

Yeah halo infinite is gonna be 4k60 most probably but that one is:

A super optimized first party title

Wideopen sandbox not real open world

With half the stuff on screen than the busier scenes in valhalla

Last edited:
Probably variable 4K, dropped graphics and lower fps.
Let say this game is done with jaguar 8 cores at base, at least Series X can push their Zen2 at higher clocks than PS5!
Smart designs all about! :messenger_bicep:

They'll both be at least a locked 30, they aren't going to push them hard enough to drop the framerate. There may be a slight native res difference or Ubisoft could just have a specific target and stick to it for both.

Kenpachii

And Series X isn’t a bloated Windows 10 PC with all its processes and other apps running in the background using up compute.

Console - A single set of specs where developers code to the metal, no separate plug and play devices of which there can be a million different configurations like on PC.

They also have low level API’s, highly optimised middleware solutions which give additional performance on console vs PC and the Velocity engine on Series X (I’m sure they’ll be something similar in PS5).

Even ignoring the above, Series X has a roughly 17tflop GPU in comparison to the XB1X’s 6tflop GPU so it has almost 3x the compute performance of a GPU that already runs the current iteration of the Assassin’s Creed engine at roughly 2/3rd’s of full 2160p (1800p).

I will bet you $100 right now that AC Valhalla will run at native 4k/30fps on Series X if Ray Tracing is enabled (probably reflections and ambient occlusion although I wouldn’t rule out GI too).

If it doesn’t have any form of Ray Tracing then it will be dynamic 2160p/60fps. Yes, yes I know the shitty farmed our port of Odyssey runs like crap on PC so needs to be brute forced to 60.

In short, Series X is in no way, shape or form a Windows 10 PC and it’s absolutely stupidly powerful for a console, especially in comparison to the consoles when they launched in 2013 with their low end laptop CPU/GPU combo. Comparing it to a PC is pointless.

Some people need to leave their ego at the door and realise consoles are about to be on par with high end gaming rigs where they will offer either Dynamic 4k/60fps or Native 4k/30fps with RT.

Once we have a built form the ground up next gen AC game then things might change. Until then we have a 17tflop console running a game built around the constraints of a 1.3tflop XB1S...

I didn’t get into the CPU because both consoles have a CPU which is a 500% increase over current gen. Their storage devices are roughly 40x faster on Series X, 100x faster on PS5 too...

And Series X isn’t a bloated Windows 10 PC with all its processes and other apps running in the background using up compute.

Here's your windows overhead delusion.

Memory:

2gb OS windows usage
2,5gb OS xbox

CPU:

Windows uses 3% usage on a 8 core 16 thread 3700 ryzen.
Consoles lock 1 core out of the 8 away which equals 12,5% usage for OS tasks.

GPU:

Windows: 0-1% usage on PC
Consoles? probably the same

U tried.

Console - A single set of specs where developers code to the metal, no separate plug and play devices of which there can be a million different configurations like on PC.

U do realize consoles are the same these days as PC's right? Let me help you a bit

Ubisoft has to optimize for
Xbox series X
PS5
Lockheart ( if that even releases )
PS4
PS4 pro
Xbox one X
Xbox one
Xbox one S

What if old consoles are getting phased out after 2-3 years.
U will have:
Xbox series X
Xbox series X slim
Xbox series X Pro
PS5
PS5 pro

3rd party dev will look at all those boxes. much like how they look at PC.
So the PS5 is the weakest? Lets build it around there and just boost some graphical settings on the other consoles if we got time for it otherwise we just lock it either way.

WIth PC they look at what do people use right now as gpu? lets focus on that, and people can push settings higher if they have better performing hardware.

Those whole 2 cpu architectures ( which basically consoles use 1 from ) and 2 GPU architectures are some mighty hard shit to code for mate. Specially when every single engine uses them as base for everything even console games.

U didn't thought this one through did you?

They also have low level API’s, highly optimised middleware solutions which give additional performance on console vs PC and the Velocity engine on Series X (I’m sure they’ll be something similar in PS5).

PC has low level api's mate this is not the year 2000 anymore. U should google vulkan, game mode and dx12. They are all designed to mirror console space as much as possible performance wise and frankly that's exactly what it does.

Want to see the amazing 750 ti run ac odyssey, here u go. PS4 version runs at900p-1080p at anywhere from 20-30fps.

it's also almost like u can overclock the hardware while u are it, or just upgrade and get even better performance

Even ignoring the above, Series X has a roughly 17tflop GPU in comparison to the XB1X’s 6tflop GPU so it has almost 3x the compute performance of a GPU that already runs the current iteration of the Assassin’s Creed engine at roughly 2/3rd’s of full 2160p (1800p).

Yet a 2080ti that has 4x the compute performance of the xbox one X can't run odyssey even at 4k and 60 fps at ultra settings without raytracing remotely. How do visual settings work. U want them to run the game at low settings straight out of the gate? or u want crisp and high quality detail with less poppins? u know where a CPU and GPU actually has to do some worth with.

I guess it's all just magical to you.

I will bet you $100 right now that AC Valhalla will run at native 4k/30fps on Series X if Ray Tracing is enabled (probably reflections and ambient occlusion although I wouldn’t rule out GI too).

Here a really simplistic game nowhere near the detail of open world games pushing raytracing at 4k on a 2080ti which is far faster on RT then RDNA2 will ever be at 4k

55f4cb1c42351208bbbcad089b9d3c2b.png

However anywhere between 15 and 27 fps with huge lag spikes as the memory can't keep up.

Yet xbox series X with weaker CU's, less bandwidth, and less gpu performance will have no problem rendering complex environments with RT without effort because magic. Even shitty fake raytracing modes like from that marty guy that fake half of it can't keep a stable 30 fps at 4k on even a rtx titan. This is why RT cores are going to balloon in the next series of GPU's.

If it doesn’t have any form of Ray Tracing then it will be dynamic 2160p/60fps. Yes, yes I know the shitty farmed our port of Odyssey runs like crap on PC so needs to be brute forced to 60.

And where do you base that odyssey runs like crap on PC on? a 750ti with a potato 2 core CPu runs it at a stable 30 fps at 1080p. yea seems like badly optimized to me oh wait.

U should probably stop reading drivel from idiots and base your facts around that. It's a very very well optimized game even when at ultra settings it kills all hardware on the market. Because ultra settings on PC is mostly builded for future hardware to let it age better. And if a game doesn't offer it people will mod it.

It's clear however that u got absolutely no clue how fucking hard it is for RT to be rendered and how demanding 4k is for the GPU in those boxes.

This is why PC gamers started to laugh at the mention of 4k and RT as they know how unrealistic it is. There is no hardware in xbox series X that could push those frames forwards unless they sacrifice massively on the quality of the game and PS5 sure as hell will capitalize on it with high fps / high resolution and better draw distances. While microsoft sits there with a bit "better lightning". Good luck selling that.

In short, Series X is in no way, shape or form a Windows 10 PC and it’s absolutely stupidly powerful for a console, especially in comparison to the consoles when they launched in 2013 with their low end laptop CPU/GPU combo. Comparing it to a PC is pointless.

U wut mate.

Its practically a PC. It uses all the parts, it uses the windows core and that's exactly what they want because of BC for the future but also for now with there own boxes but also to keep it more in sync with the PC market which they aim for heavily at this point.

The xbox series X would be a high end performing box if it released right now and focused on 1080p, but because it focuses on 4k and that's the issue here its simple weak sauce.

Let me explain.

I can buy a 2080ti right now and slam 8k on it and no game will run for shit. is the 2080ti a weak gpu? no not really, rocks everything at 1080p without issue's. But it doesn't do 1080p it does 8k, is it a weak 8k card? yea its complete dog shit. And there you go with xbox series x. Welcome to the 4k club where performance dissappears in thin air. And now u understand why PC gamers stated GPU is all that matters, luckely MS understood this and actually slammed a fast GPU in it as much as they could even while they were better off going with nvidia and slam a 3080ti in that box or a full blown rdna2 90c gpu. PS5 however yea good luck with that.

This is why PC gamers laughed at the 2080ti when it came out, RT performance was a a complete joke. People would even call it a shit card. Even while its the fastest on the market besides the titan etc.

Some people need to leave their ego at the door and realise consoles are about to be on par with high end gaming rigs where they will offer either Dynamic 4k/60fps or Native 4k/30fps with RT.

The only one with a ego is you. 4k rt and 60 fps is simple not doable with the hardware in those boxes unless u drop the complexity massively and that's not what a game like ac odyssey represents. Maybe fighters and that's about it.

About your high end rigs.

Let me me tell u something, those consoles aren't out right now and when they do, they will be dwarved by PC hardware. Want a few examples.
PC 1080ti sits at 3,5k cuda cores at 2ghz pushes about 2080 gtx ( xbox series X performance, if we can believe DF on that front )
Next Nvidia GPU sits at 8k cuda cores.
xbox has ~52 cu's, 2080ti has 78rt cores Next rumored GPU has 256 RT cores. ( 2070 super = 52 rt cores )
AMD next flag ship GPU is rumored to have 120 cu's

Nvidia RT is heavily proven to work, amd the demo they showcased on the xbox reveal was laughable shit performing, the same for rtx minecraft.

Not to forget PC is riddled with memory far faster and more then those boxes have. actual memmory, will have dlss3.0 amd version of this are all heavily unproven

there is no comparison. And then people on PC will not move to 4k which will give them another level of performance boost. If cyberpunk runs with RT on on a 3080ti at barely 60 fps at 4k, consoles will probably struggle to run the same quality at 1080p 30 fps with RT on.

Once we have a built form the ground up next gen AC game then things might change. Until then we have a 17tflop console running a game built around the constraints of a 1.3tflop XB1S...

AC games are already build up from the ground up for multicore CPU's, maybe u didn't notice but PS4 and xbox all uses more cores, odyssey uses 6 cores and 12 threads on my 9900k all day long even goes as far to adress another core at times. It's a perfect fit for next gen consoles. as they will be sitting with weaker cpu's and 7 cores to adres. U act like PC doesn't exist and live in a vaccuum, yet PC is ubisofts biggest market.

I didn’t get into the CPU because both consoles have a CPU which is a 500% increase over current gen. Their storage devices are roughly 40x faster on Series X, 100x faster on PS5 too...

And complexity increases and rip CPU performance. How does stuff work.
They could have 300x faster storage devices, doesn't change shit. Guess what storage devices are used for, fucking storage holy shit.

Anyway u tried tho.

Last edited:

martino

Ubisoft responded to Portuguese Eurogame that Valhalla will run at minimum 30FPS in 4K on XSX. Not sure if there will be other modes yet.

Some people won't like it . But imo for the type of game it is smooth 30 fps works great.

minimun 30 means up to 45 or more (looking at the sky :) ) for vrr users if you only unlock framerate

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Lol Greenberg

30fps is fine though, as long as it doesn't drop below that at any point.

Last edited:
I just wish they would stop brute forcing native 4k and waste so much gpu power on that shit when there are amazing reconstruction techniques that frees up gpu to do other things and looks indistinguishable from native 4k.

GymWolf

Nobody cares about game , all just argue about numbers here as most times here. Ac game dont need high fps.
They have an action-y combat,parkour etc., they absolutely needs 60 fps like every genre except point and click, puzzle and sim city type of game.

The fairy tale that only fps arena, driving game, beat em up and pure action games being the only genres that needs 60 fps is a false narrative from console gamers who can't have 60 frame in every game and it's more fake than pamela anderson boobs.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
but...but...i thought these super duper new ultra fast SSDs would let me play every game at 4k 120hz!!?!????

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

4k30hz will be the standard for multiplatform games. 1st party titles are more likely to be 4k 60hz. stupid little 2d indie games will run at 4k 120hz/8k 30hz.

there's a reason why both sony/microsoft are supporting HDMI 2.1. the VRR will let developers raise the frame limit to 60hz "as standard" or 120hz but that doesn't mean you'll get 60fps. could run at 50-60fps, maybe 40-50fps lol, or could even be 30-35fps. if the framerate can't hit a solid 60fps then it's gonna be bouncing between 30-60fps so with VRR it'll smoothen it out to reduce stuttering/tearing.

that's if you can even afford a TV with HDMI 2.1 lol.

y'all fell for the hype (again)

Last edited:

coolmast3r

Honestly, with such powerful CPUs (and GPUs as well) that the upcoming 9th gen consoles have, this type of reply from the Xbox marketing director doesn't make me want to go and buy their "most powerful console ever". It just screams "we are settling for good enough" and not "this console will be the best, most enjoyable and definitive way to experience any game that comes out", which it should convey IMO.

I wish console makers (for the time being it only applies to Xbox, we'll see what Sony will do) would have what it takes to enforce a new standard for video game performance (60FPS locked for all games) on their hardware. I am so tired of these lame excuses ("developer's vision" is the worst of them), especially considering the fact that this time around the consoles at hand are extremely well balanced and don't have those ridiculous bottlenecks (weak CPUs, HDDs) which the previous two console generations had and which could (and have been) be used for putting all the blame on when a talk about 30FPS cap comes up.

But hey, what do I know.

Jayjayhd34

They have an action-y combat,parkour etc., they absolutely needs 60 fps like every genre except point and click, puzzle and sim city type of game.

The fairy tale that only fps arena, driving game, beat em up and pure action games being the only genres that needs 60 fps is a false narrative from console gamers who can't have 60 frame in every game and it's more fake than pamela anderson boobs.

As a pc gamer 60 fps is important to me. I, ll pay alot to get that at high res. However while it's always better to get 60fps i believe there are certain instance where 30fps is acceptable. Thankfully for me this limited to consoles maybe I would feel differently if had play them all the time.

GymWolf

As a pc gamer 60 fps is important to me. I, ll pay alot to get that at high res. However while it's always better to get 60fps i believe there are certain instance where 30fps is acceptable. Thankfully for me this limited to consoles maybe I would feel differently if had play them all the time.
When you have to move a character or there is combat involved, 60 frames always feel much better, is not really a discussion tbh.

I play on pc almost solely for 60 frames, of course higher resolution and details are a nice plus too.

nikolino840

Honestly, with such powerful CPUs (and GPUs as well) that the upcoming 9th gen consoles have, this type of reply from the Xbox marketing director doesn't make me want to go and buy their "most powerful console ever". It just screams "we are settling for good enough" and not "this console will be the best, most enjoyable and definitive way to experience any game that comes out", which it should convey IMO.

I wish console makers (for the time being it only applies to Xbox, we'll see what Sony will do) would have what it takes to enforce a new standard for video game performance (60FPS locked for all games) on their hardware. I am so tired of these lame excuses ("developer's vision" is the worst of them), especially considering the fact that this time around the consoles at hand are extremely well balanced and don't have those ridiculous bottlenecks (weak CPUs, HDDs) which the previous two console generations had and which could (and have been) be used for putting all the blame on when a talk about 30FPS cap comes up.

But hey, what do I know.
So if you was on the marketing wich answer you reply in the socials?

coolmast3r

So if you was on the marketing wich answer you reply in the socials?
Not to be rude, but since you want to play "what ifs", let me just get this straight - this sort of reply from Greenberg would have not even been needed had Microsoft done their work concerning establishment of this new standard of game performance that I mentioned.

Greenberg at this point is just another marketing guy trying to do his best to maintain Series X's public perception given the general direction that Microsoft had chosen for their "most powerful console ever".

scalman

And they said at least 4k/30fps .nobody said it will be 30fps fixed. So all this thread is just bs anyway. Talking about fake news its kinda empty talk no?

Last edited:

nikolino840

Not to be rude, but since you want to play "what ifs", let me just get this straight - this sort of reply from Greenberg would have not even been needed had Microsoft done their work concerning establishment of this new standard of game performance that I mentioned.

Greenberg at this point is just another marketing guy trying to do his best to maintain Series X's public perception given the general direction that Microsoft had chosen for their "most powerful console ever".
He works for the marketing at xbox, it's his job to do the marketing guy
But you don't have answer in this "What if"

Totally expected and entirely reasonable.

30fps is fine, and Developers, particularly big AAA blockbuster Developers, know the overwhelming majority of their audience don't want high frame rates to come at the expense of visuals.

If you care about 60fps+, pay the premium and buy a PC, because you're a minority that mass market aimed consoels will never cater to.

scalman

Solid 30 fps runs just fine on consoles, so let it be 30fps on max settings and then let choose higher fps lower visuals for those who want that. Solved. Its that simple. Allways will choose visuals. Even on 1080p screen will choose supersampling not fps.

Top Bottom